Atheists in Caldwell County?

Posted in the Blowing Rock Forum

First Prev
of 20
Next Last
Kage

Lenoir, NC

#1 Nov 21, 2011
Just wondering if any of the posters here are atheists, agnostics, skeptics, or freethinkers. I have thought about starting an atheist/skeptic/freethinker meetup group here in Caldwell County but I haven't came across any other atheists. I'm sure there are many people who are "in the atheist closet" but are afraid to admit their disbelief. After all, this is the bible belt. So I was just wondering. If I get flamed by theists who think atheists are evil, so be it. I'm just curious if there are other non-believers around. Thanks.
DeWitt

Terrell, NC

#2 Nov 21, 2011
You need to leave da country ya crazy m....f...!
Kage

Lenoir, NC

#3 Nov 21, 2011
lol thanks for your insightful input. ;-)
garmble

Morganton, NC

#4 Nov 22, 2011
We're everywhere!
The Truth

AOL

#5 Nov 22, 2011
garmble wrote:
We're everywhere!
...and all headed to the same address....

(I believe AC/DC sang it best!)
garmble

Morganton, NC

#6 Nov 22, 2011
AC/DC that's devil music!
lucifer

United States

#7 Nov 22, 2011
There is no god anymore. he gave up on man kind years ago. he has left your souls for me to claim

“Try to enjoy the ride.”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#8 Nov 22, 2011
I'm an atheist. My wife is an atheist. Almost all of my friends are atheists. Atheism is a growing by LEAPS AND BOUNDS.

The world is growing intellectually, and stifling things like religion are on the decline. It's a beautiful thing, and I'm proud to be on the forefront of the movement.

Start up the atheist group thing, I'd show up and probably bring a lot of people with me.
Marian

Lenoir, NC

#9 Nov 22, 2011
You're just espousing a religion, too. Only YOUR religion is so brainwashing that it makes you think you're "superior" enough to take the rights away from others to worship as THEY feel free to.
Sheep. Leftist brainwashed sheep.

“Try to enjoy the ride.”

Location hidden

#10 Nov 22, 2011
Marian wrote:
You're just espousing a religion, too. Only YOUR religion is so brainwashing that it makes you think you're "superior" enough to take the rights away from others to worship as THEY feel free to.
Sheep. Leftist brainwashed sheep.
You believe an invisible man lives in the sky... because an outdated book tells you he does... and I am the sheep?

“Try to enjoy the ride.”

Location hidden

#11 Nov 22, 2011
And if you think ACDC is bad you should check out some A Perfect Circle.

Kage

Lenoir, NC

#12 Nov 22, 2011
LoL
Wang

Tryon, NC

#13 Nov 22, 2011
Kage wrote:
Just wondering if any of the posters here are atheists, agnostics, skeptics, or freethinkers. I have thought about starting an atheist/skeptic/freethinker meetup group here in Caldwell County but I haven't came across any other atheists. I'm sure there are many people who are "in the atheist closet" but are afraid to admit their disbelief. After all, this is the bible belt. So I was just wondering. If I get flamed by theists who think atheists are evil, so be it. I'm just curious if there are other non-believers around. Thanks.
Go to West Jefferson. That is where you'll find all the heathens you want.
Kage

Lenoir, NC

#14 Nov 22, 2011
LoL! Dawkins and Hitchens would looove this thread.
James

Lenoir, NC

#15 Nov 23, 2011
CDCeltown wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe an invisible man lives in the sky... because an outdated book tells you he does... and I am the sheep?
Truly intellectual views never need to resort to this.

"Tolerant" people just kill me. They're the most INTOLERANT people I have ever encountered.

Grow up little boy and learn to respect other peoples' beliefs. Then, you might be worthy of a little respect yourself.

Sad.
garmble

Morganton, NC

#16 Nov 23, 2011
To be fair he was responding to somebody that grouped all atheists together as "brainwashed leftist sheep."
The Truth

AOL

#17 Nov 23, 2011
James wrote:
<quoted text>
Truly intellectual views never need to resort to this.
"Tolerant" people just kill me. They're the most INTOLERANT people I have ever encountered.
Grow up little boy and learn to respect other peoples' beliefs. Then, you might be worthy of a little respect yourself.
Sad.
James,

Have you ever seen Joshua? There is nothing little about him, although Lish did wistfully mention one small item.

(Sorry, Josh, could not reist.)

“Try to enjoy the ride.”

Location hidden

#18 Nov 23, 2011
Oh no it's fine, I'm used to Christians resorting to fat jokes, it's not as though rationality and logic is something that will be brought into the equation. I take no offense.

(Sorry, whatever your real name is, I couldn't resist.)

As for being tolerant... when did I ever say I was tolerant? I'm not tolerant of religion at all.

Religious people and their right to practice their superstitions as they please, on the other hand, I am fully tolerant of.

I fully support your right to be religious, but that doesn't block you from scrutiny. Atheists such as myself are scrutinized on a regular basis, and I have no problem doling it right back out.

As for your retort in general, it's funny to me how pissed off people get the moment I point out exactly what they do. It's the things that remind us most of ourselves that anger us the most. I say invisible man in the sky, and it strikes a chord with you. That's because deep down inside you are smart, and you do realize how ludicrous it sounds to believe in such things.

The bottom line is, we're all atheists when it comes down to brass tacks. Some choose to acknowledge it, some choose to lean on the crutch of religion. Do what you want, it's of no concern to me. But I do so love these discussions. They serve as a wonderful reminder of why I stopped associating with such outdated control methods as religion.

Call me fat, say I have a small penis, make things up about me... tell me my mother is fat, my sister is ugly and my dog stinks. I don't care. But stupid is not something anyone can legitimately call me, and that's all I care about.
The Truth

AOL

#19 Nov 23, 2011
CDCeltown wrote:
Oh no it's fine, I'm used to Christians resorting to fat jokes, it's not as though rationality and logic is something that will be brought into the equation. I take no offense.
(Sorry, whatever your real name is, I couldn't resist.)
As for being tolerant... when did I ever say I was tolerant? I'm not tolerant of religion at all.
Religious people and their right to practice their superstitions as they please, on the other hand, I am fully tolerant of.
I fully support your right to be religious, but that doesn't block you from scrutiny. Atheists such as myself are scrutinized on a regular basis, and I have no problem doling it right back out.
As for your retort in general, it's funny to me how pissed off people get the moment I point out exactly what they do. It's the things that remind us most of ourselves that anger us the most. I say invisible man in the sky, and it strikes a chord with you. That's because deep down inside you are smart, and you do realize how ludicrous it sounds to believe in such things.
The bottom line is, we're all atheists when it comes down to brass tacks. Some choose to acknowledge it, some choose to lean on the crutch of religion. Do what you want, it's of no concern to me. But I do so love these discussions. They serve as a wonderful reminder of why I stopped associating with such outdated control methods as religion.
Call me fat, say I have a small penis, make things up about me... tell me my mother is fat, my sister is ugly and my dog stinks. I don't care. But stupid is not something anyone can legitimately call me, and that's all I care about.
Josh,

A little testy today.

What gives? It is almost Thanksgiving. Even the atheists celebrate that, do they not?

Kick back, have a cold one, and enjoy the rest of your day. Life's not half bad if one is able to forget about the federal government.

“Try to enjoy the ride.”

Location hidden

#20 Nov 23, 2011
I'm a whirlwind of fury. When I run out of things to say, what then will I do with myself?

I celebrate all the holidays to a certain degree. Christmas... or Giftsmas as I call it, has been so secularized I can't even take issue with it.

Thanksgiving is cool I guess. Good food, can't argue with that.

Halloween.... 2 words.. horror movies.

I do, however, completely disregard easter. As an atheist, I legit have no use for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blowing Rock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anti Racist is a codeword for Anti White. 28 min Dumb Cracka Racis... 30
Thank God I'm White. 38 min Keyboard Kommando 145
Snitches in caldwell county 4 hr Mystery Door 3 7
Republicans Know Clinton Will Win 5 hr David53 45
White Leader Trump leading in Indiana polls.. 7 hr Slippery Pete 5
The rising of the moon. 8 hr Mick Irish 4
96 percent in Ireland say they would vote for O... 8 hr Victoria 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blowing Rock Mortgages