Graduation project for Caldwell Count...

Graduation project for Caldwell County Seniors

Posted in the Blowing Rock Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
concerned parent

Tempe, AZ

#1 Oct 15, 2010
If any of you are parents of a highschool student then you are familar or will become familar with the requirement for senior project for graduation. As a parent of a senior I don't think the school board should require this project for graduation. My child has worked extremely hard to earn a 4.5 GPA and does not deserve the added stress and time the project requires. I feel it is cost prohibitive and a parent should not be forced to sign a release stating you will be responsbile for any costs involved, especially in this difficut economy. Does anyone know if the new school board candidates are in favor of the graduation project? May be worth checking into before you vote.
Joanmarie

AOL

#2 Oct 15, 2010
This started when my son was a senior, we fought it but to no avail, and in all fairness, when my son completed it, he was happy he had to do it.
Joe

Greer, SC

#3 Oct 15, 2010
concerned parent wrote:
If any of you are parents of a highschool student then you are familar or will become familar with the requirement for senior project for graduation. As a parent of a senior I don't think the school board should require this project for graduation. My child has worked extremely hard to earn a 4.5 GPA and does not deserve the added stress and time the project requires. I feel it is cost prohibitive and a parent should not be forced to sign a release stating you will be responsbile for any costs involved, especially in this difficut economy. Does anyone know if the new school board candidates are in favor of the graduation project? May be worth checking into before you vote.
I 100% agree with you. It's like they force us to sign the document, because we all want our kids to graduate, so we sign it. It should be optional, and not required.
Joanmarie

AOL

#4 Oct 15, 2010
You can talk to the person heading the Graduation project and/or the Principal and they WILL work with you. You are right on having to be forced to sign the paper is wrong. Since this project must be done, work with the school and try for the best outcome. I wish your child luck. Oh and side note, my son had to change his topic midway through and still passed.
James

Gaffney, SC

#5 Oct 15, 2010
I heard the county system was doing it in order to properly be preparing our students for college presentations and also, to implement the policy prior to the time it is required... I think the class of 2015 will be the first class it's required for.

"Session Law 2009-60, House Bill 223 states the following, "The State Board shall not require any student to prepare a high school graduation project as a condition of graduation from high school prior to July 1, 2011; local boards of education may, however, require their students to complete a high school graduation project."

Additionally, the bill directs the Program Evaluation Division of the General Assembly to study the cost and effectiveness of a statewide high school graduation project requirement and report the results of its study to the Joint Legislative Education Oversight Committee on or before July 1, 2010."

My kids did it. The project my kids chose didn't cost them more than $10.00 each! They're free to pick what they want (with school approval). My daughter said she hated it, but it prepared her for college presentations really well, and gave her confidence in her summer job.
Joe

Greer, SC

#6 Oct 18, 2010
James wrote:
I heard the county system was doing it in order to properly be preparing our students for college presentations and also, to implement the policy prior to the time it is required... I think the class of 2015 will be the first class it's required for.
"Session Law 2009-60, House Bill 223 states the following, "The State Board shall not require any student to prepare a high school graduation project as a condition of graduation from high school prior to July 1, 2011; local boards of education may, however, require their students to complete a high school graduation project."
Additionally, the bill directs the Program Evaluation Division of the General Assembly to study the cost and effectiveness of a statewide high school graduation project requirement and report the results of its study to the Joint Legislative Education Oversight Committee on or before July 1, 2010."
My kids did it. The project my kids chose didn't cost them more than $10.00 each! They're free to pick what they want (with school approval). My daughter said she hated it, but it prepared her for college presentations really well, and gave her confidence in her summer job.
My problem is not with the research paper or the presentation. I think that is great and the kids need to write many papers. It is having to get a mentor that I have a problem with. My child has had difficulty is finding someone willing to do so.
James

Gaffney, SC

#7 Oct 18, 2010
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
My problem is not with the research paper or the presentation. I think that is great and the kids need to write many papers. It is having to get a mentor that I have a problem with. My child has had difficulty is finding someone willing to do so.
Yeah, I hear that. I think it's good experience for them to have ask people to be their mentor, but I do think the schools could do more to help with having some kind of list of people who are willing to volunteer their time to help.
Judge

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#8 Oct 19, 2010
I have been a mentor and a judge for these graduation projects. I think it is a wonderful idea for the students. It builds many skills that the student will need in real life, whereas they are not going to learn in the classroom. The student can explore their dream job or hobby. I know many people in Caldwell County that are willing to mentor and help with the projects from doctors, lawyers, teachers, photographers, golfers, chefs, etc. The sky is the limit with this project and can really benefit the student!! Please contact me if you need help....
UpDate

Corning, NY

#9 Sep 4, 2013
I just received all this information from the school, 35 pages of instructions for my High School JUNIOR to start a senior project. This is absolutely useless! After talking with other parents it appears “as usually is the case” this is just another parent project. You wait till it is due and then you spend the last month throwing all this stuff together for your kid so they graduate. The other alternative is to copy someone else’s project from last year and update it a little. Either way it’s useless for the kids.

Just another example of education gone crazy!
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#10 Sep 4, 2013
UpDate wrote:
it appears “as usually is the case” this is just another parent project. You wait till it is due and then you spend the last month throwing all this stuff together for your kid so they graduate.
Well if that's your approach, then yes it's pretty much worthless. But that's due to a parenting flaw, not any fault of the school.
Mente Mea

Casar, NC

#11 Sep 4, 2013
UpDate wrote:
I just received all this information from the school, 35 pages of instructions for my High School JUNIOR to start a senior project. This is absolutely useless! After talking with other parents it appears “as usually is the case” this is just another parent project. You wait till it is due and then you spend the last month throwing all this stuff together for your kid so they graduate. The other alternative is to copy someone else’s project from last year and update it a little. Either way it’s useless for the kids.
Just another example of education gone crazy!
If the parent is doing the project, then of course it is useless for the student. Let's try to gain a little perspective here:

In the junior year, the student has to choose a topic and write a research paper. That's it. Juniors have been required to write a paper in English class for years. Yes, the manual outlines more of the project so that motivated students may do more to get started on the project, but all that is REQUIRED for the Graduation Project in English III is a passing research paper. The junior manual also contains information and guidelines for writing the paper. I suppose that could be omitted, and the students could just do without that resource.

In the senior year, the student has to spend a whopping 15 hours in the course of 3 months working on an actual project. 15 hours! How dare we ask that 17- and 18-year-olds be able to plan and execute less than two work days' worth of work? Please!

As for finding a mentor, that process is valuable, too. In their adult lives, these kids will need to be able to locate help for lots of things - lawyers, plumbers, personnel managers, professors, loan officers, etc. We have spent a generation sending out unprepared, full-grown children because we are afraid of asking them to show a little initiative to get a job done. The project provides them a guided opportunity to learn skills from which Mommy and Daddy have sheltered them. Time and stress management skills are not innate; they have to be learned and practiced. Dealing with signing forms and meeting deadlines will be their plight their entire lives. When would you prefer that they learn them? Maybe when they don't get their taxes done on time? Or perhaps when they forget to renew their vehicle tag? Or they don't turn in the payroll paperwork? College professors don't like late assignments, either.

It's clear that when it comes to whining, the apples don't fall far from the trees.
UpDate

Corning, NY

#12 Sep 5, 2013
I believe this senior project garbage started in 2010-2011 for Caldwell County Students. As far as I can tell in the last 2 years the graduation rate is about the same and the number of students going on to college is the same. So there is no apparent benefit from doing a senior project.

The only reason North Carolina is doing this garbage was to get the company that started this crap to move to North Carolina.“After over 26 years on the West Coast, the office of The Senior Project Center at P4DL, Inc. will be moving its offices to the state of North Carolina.”

Many school boards are now removing the ‘senior project’ from High School Graduation requirements because it has no benefit to a student’s education.

North Carolina is just behind the times. Starting a project that everyone else knows has no benefits.
My Conclusion

Corning, NY

#13 Sep 5, 2013
The real question is what the actual benefit of the project to the students is. A majority of the requirements are completely useless to the student, once they pass their project. This does not mean that the skills acquired while creating some of the documents are useless, but a college application or job application is not going to ask to see your senior project as a prerequisite to enter college or for employment. So yes it's pretty useless.
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#14 Sep 5, 2013
UpDate wrote:
As far as I can tell in the last 2 years the graduation rate is about the same and the number of students going on to college is the same. So there is no apparent benefit from doing a senior project.
Why would you think those numbers should go up? It is designed to make those students who graduate and go to college better prepared, not make more students graduate and go to college.

A normal person would expect the opposite - if this thing is such an undue burden, graduation rates would drop as it causes more students to fail. That grad rates have remained the same indicates it isn't the terrible thing you think it is.

And while Carolina may be "backwards" as you say, it it because of attitudes like yours - yes, lets eliminate the one thing that requires some hard work and actually gets the students prepared to be successful in the real world.
No Big Deal

Corning, NY

#15 Sep 5, 2013
We (my kid and I) found our project on the internet. All the work was already done we just made a few changes so not to plagiarize it word for word. We recreated the posters and were ready to go, (got an A) no big deal.
UpDate

Corning, NY

#16 Sep 5, 2013
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
And while Carolina may be "backwards" as you say, it it because ofattitudes like yours - yes, lets eliminate the one thing that requires some hard work and actually gets the students prepared to be successful in the real world.
So exactly how does doing a senior project prepare a student to be successful in the real world? If you leave school and go into the workforce you're not going to get a job writing research papers. Why make all these kids that are not going on to college do this crap.
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#17 Sep 5, 2013
No Big Deal wrote:
We (my kid and I) found our project on the internet. All the work was already done we just made a few changes so not to plagiarize it word for word. We recreated the posters and were ready to go,(got an A) no big deal.
Way to teach your kid how to cheat and cut corners. I'll bet you will be back here bitching about how unfair it is when (s)he is expelled from college or fired from a job for ill owing this example you have set....
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#18 Sep 5, 2013
UpDate wrote:
<quoted text>
So exactly how does doing a senior project prepare a student to be successful in the real world? If you leave school and go into the workforce you're not going to get a job writing research papers. Why make all these kids that are not going on to college do this crap.
Yup - bitch about the quality of the education system, yet then bitch when the education system actually expects something from your kid.

Lets just say, sometimes the process is as valuable of a learning experience as the final result...
past student

Rolesville, NC

#19 Oct 15, 2013
Ummm I had to do the project in 2009 when we had only a semester to do it and WAY more was required of us. I am now getting ready to graduate from college and I know that this project was very beneficial. It is super annoying to hear all these 17-18 year olds and their parents whining about having to do a shorter paper in 1 1/2 years. I had to do the mentor time and I even did more than I needed along with being an honor student and a varsity athlete. It pisses me off to know that parents are cheating their children out of a rewarding experience that would benefit them and better their future. So some advice to all of you parents is let your child do their own work because you are only hurting them if you help them cheat. They are grown ups so its time to treat them like that
Parent

Hickory, NC

#21 Aug 28, 2014
So what is new with the senior projects this year?
Has it been dropped?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blowing Rock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
There goes the tourism in Florida. 2 hr Robert Ledford 4
Democrats, I will assist you in committing suic... 2 hr State of Tampa bay 5
Cop shot another cop in Indiana last night. 3 hr Robert Ledford 2
Robert's Naval Award Elongated Black Object 3 hr Robert Ledford 2
Is Hillary epileptic or Demonically possessed? 3 hr Robert Ledford 3
Negro breaks into home to watch White couple sl... 6 hr Robert Ledford 4
Black home invaders shoot White woman in face. 7 hr Robert Ledford 4

Blowing Rock Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance