Fontana officials to talk fireworks ban

Mar 23, 2010 Read more: San Bernardino County Sun 26
The fireworks debate continues tonight as the City Council is slated to introduce a ballot measure that would ban their sales and use here. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nancy

Chino, CA

#2 Mar 23, 2010
Please! After many years of out-of-control fireworks users mixed in with the responsible people who use them carefully, it's time we realize the over-all threat of danger to the general safety of the public is not worth the pleasure gained by the few. My own son was burned on his face when a child even though we were extremely cautious with our fireworks. That night saw the last of our personal use of fireworks and the beginning of our attending city and college displays. My son was 8 years old then, and is 40 years old this year. We have not missed the mayhem and are glad to be safe. Now if we could just stop the insanity of illegal fireworks, and gun-shooters and drunks, we might really be able to celebrate the birth of the USA in freedom rather than in fear. Please, city council, take a pro-active step to ban the use of fireworks in the city limits. The citizens of Fontana deserve no less.
Nancy

Chino, CA

#3 Mar 23, 2010
ex fontanan wrote:
fontana is a sick mexican cesspool it doesn't matter what you ban because they don't care, and they only use illegal fireworks- illegal like them. you should worry about all the gunfire so your wasting your time council "viva la mexico"
Glad to see you have found a better place for you and your family. Fontana doesn't need racists, but rather needs people of all ethnicities to abide by the laws that are put in place for the general good. We also need competent and efficient police enforcement of those laws in order to achieve the desired end. And finally, we need a citizenry who respects the laws and "bans", and will make other choices for celebration.
It drops

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#4 Mar 23, 2010
Any City that bans so-called "safe and sane" fireworks (a masterful PR job in itself), ultimately see a drop in all illegal fireworks. The City can dedicate its law enforcement staff to finding them slowly and prosecuting them. It can happen, if you the citizens of Fontana want to take your City's July 4th safety back. You Council doesn't have the spuds to do it, you have to. Sorry to all of the youth sports organizations that make bank on it, at the cost of others.
nooo

Whittier, CA

#5 Mar 23, 2010
Nancy wrote:
Please! After many years of out-of-control fireworks users mixed in with the responsible people who use them carefully, it's time we realize the over-all threat of danger to the general safety of the public is not worth the pleasure gained by the few. My own son was burned on his face when a child even though we were extremely cautious with our fireworks. That night saw the last of our personal use of fireworks and the beginning of our attending city and college displays. My son was 8 years old then, and is 40 years old this year. We have not missed the mayhem and are glad to be safe. Now if we could just stop the insanity of illegal fireworks, and gun-shooters and drunks, we might really be able to celebrate the birth of the USA in freedom rather than in fear. Please, city council, take a pro-active step to ban the use of fireworks in the city limits. The citizens of Fontana deserve no less.
im sorry that your son was burn a long time ago, but you should not have allowed your son to get close to the fireworks.they create fire. why should i suffer because your stupidity
John

Carson, CA

#6 Mar 23, 2010
The vote for the residents is in November .Depending on that out come no fireworks policy well be put in effect 2011 .
BeverlyV

Fontana, CA

#7 Mar 24, 2010
I vote to ban them. I hate when my neigbors make their mess and the next day are the remains of their celebration. They are also dangerous. Most cities have already banned them and for good reasons.
Mayor Mark

Lynwood, CA

#8 Mar 25, 2010
It drops wrote:
Any City that bans so-called "safe and sane" fireworks (a masterful PR job in itself), ultimately see a drop in all illegal fireworks. The City can dedicate its law enforcement staff to finding them slowly and prosecuting them. It can happen, if you the citizens of Fontana want to take your City's July 4th safety back. You Council doesn't have the spuds to do it, you have to. Sorry to all of the youth sports organizations that make bank on it, at the cost of others.
The City Council did ban all fireworks and then the "safe and sane" companies that make millions off the sales of these pyrotechnics paid signature gatherers to circulate a petition to call for an election. Instead of spending $400,000+ to call for a special election, the City Council approved the fireworks company ordinance (on a vote of 3-2).

The City Council is now considering putting the question to the residents once and for all. I really do wish that we didn't have to even consider this measure. Unfortunately, the actions of a few do ruin it for the majority of residents who would like to have a nice celebration at their home. Then the knuckleheads down the street pull out the mortar launchers and the town looks like Bagdad during the "Shock & Awe" campaign.

For 364 days out of the year, our police department works on establishing a positive relationship with the community and all that goes up in smoke on the 4th of July as they have to attempt to break up illegal fireworks shows being conducted by drunk attendees oftentimes. You might imaging that this quickly becomes a public safety issue. But to the companies that sell the "safe and sane" products, they see no correlation to illegal fireworks usage and permitting "safe and sane", this is a huge profit impact and you'll see the all out assault (ie PR campaign) that they will wage.
hey

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Mar 26, 2010
Mayor Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
The City Council did ban all fireworks and then the "safe and sane" companies that make millions off the sales of these pyrotechnics paid signature gatherers to circulate a petition to call for an election. Instead of spending $400,000+ to call for a special election, the City Council approved the fireworks company ordinance (on a vote of 3-2).
The City Council is now considering putting the question to the residents once and for all. I really do wish that we didn't have to even consider this measure. Unfortunately, the actions of a few do ruin it for the majority of residents who would like to have a nice celebration at their home. Then the knuckleheads down the street pull out the mortar launchers and the town looks like Bagdad during the "Shock & Awe" campaign.
For 364 days out of the year, our police department works on establishing a positive relationship with the community and all that goes up in smoke on the 4th of July as they have to attempt to break up illegal fireworks shows being conducted by drunk attendees oftentimes. You might imaging that this quickly becomes a public safety issue. But to the companies that sell the "safe and sane" products, they see no correlation to illegal fireworks usage and permitting "safe and sane", this is a huge profit impact and you'll see the all out assault (ie PR campaign) that they will wage.
even if its banned, people will still set up mortars. just yesterday one of my neighbors set one off. also local gansters will sell you the illegal fireworks. last year, a 13 year old boy came up to me and told me that his ganster brother was selling rockets on miller and mango in a blue house. im pretty sure that this will happen again even if the law passes
WRONG blind man

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#10 Mar 26, 2010
"just yesterday one of my neighbors set one off. also local gansters will sell you the illegal fireworks. last year, a 13 year old boy came up to me and told me that his ganster brother was selling rockets on miller and mango in a blue house. im pretty sure that this will happen again even if the law passes" Not if you pass that little nugget about Miller and Mango blue house. Get involved.
Mayor Mark

Lynwood, CA

#11 Mar 26, 2010
Enforcement against illegal fireworks is a whole lot easier when you don't have hundreds of people in the streets lighting off their "safe and sane" pyrotechnics. Ever try getting down the street in your car when there are people all over the place? Also, since "safe and sane" would be banned, the family block parties that want fireworks would go to other communities where they are legal. As it stands today, Fontana is the home of the block parties / family parties because "safe and sane" are allowed.
hey

Long Beach, CA

#12 Mar 26, 2010
WRONG blind man wrote:
"just yesterday one of my neighbors set one off. also local gansters will sell you the illegal fireworks. last year, a 13 year old boy came up to me and told me that his ganster brother was selling rockets on miller and mango in a blue house. im pretty sure that this will happen again even if the law passes" Not if you pass that little nugget about Miller and Mango blue house. Get involved.
i have called, cops pass but dont stop. the same thing when i call for graffiti removal.
MyAdvice

Fontana, CA

#13 Mar 27, 2010
Mayor Mark wrote:
Enforcement against illegal fireworks is a whole lot easier when you don't have hundreds of people in the streets lighting off their "safe and sane" pyrotechnics. Ever try getting down the street in your car when there are people all over the place? Also, since "safe and sane" would be banned, the family block parties that want fireworks would go to other communities where they are legal. As it stands today, Fontana is the home of the block parties / family parties because "safe and sane" are allowed.
Mayor Mark is right. When a city bans safe and sane that means the people that light the illegal fireworks can't hide witin the mists of the safe and sane firework which makes them a lot easier to find. I know many cities that have decided to ban the sale of safe and sane and those areas have greatly improved. We went to the speedway last year and it was wonderful!!
MyAdvice

Fontana, CA

#14 Mar 27, 2010
WRONG blind man wrote:
Did you call the police when it happened? If you don't take action then nothing changes.
hey

Pasadena, CA

#15 Mar 27, 2010
MyAdvice wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you call the police when it happened? If you don't take action then nothing changes.
did right after the moron kid told me but they just passed by. later that even, one of my neighbors who works for fontana pd set one of these sky rockets off. i know he did not get them from the ganster because the week prior he was in laughlin. he sure likes fireworks
Alec

Acworth, GA

#16 May 15, 2010
Just wanted to let you know there are many of us who use fireworks safely just for the purpose of shows and never burn anything- fireworks should be legal in open spaces where its safe! please dont ban from everybody cuz its some stupid people that are using fireworks like they do but others who are safe shouldnt be banned
robert davis

United States

#17 Jun 28, 2010
i am sick of what the city is doing my nieghbor works for the fontana pd and hes always setting of those sky rockets in the middle of the night what are you going to ban next chimenys?

“Don't like the rules?...Leave”

Since: Mar 07

Denver, but on pause...

#18 Jun 28, 2010
Before they institute another "ban", it would serve them to remind the Fontana PD Officers that were busted last year that lighting already banned fireworks off in the Cop Shop parking lot is not allowed either...
Wonder what ever became of that "incident"?...Hmmm.. .
Miss Ramirez

Riverside, CA

#19 Jun 29, 2010
It's foolish. If you have an accident dealing with pyrotechnics, its YOUR problem. Why ban fireworks from those who are responsible just because of a few careless people? Its stupid. Lol, theyre meant to celebrate our independence and what our country stands for, freedom, and theyre banning the tradition that has been around for so long? Its prohibiting traditon, culture, an American symbol. and by the way, people will do things if they wanna do it, even if it's illegal :)

“Don't like the rules?...Leave”

Since: Mar 07

Denver, but on pause...

#20 Jun 30, 2010
Miss Ramirez wrote:
and by the way, people will do things if they wanna do it, even if it's illegal :)
Did you even think before you wrote this?...It is directly because of this type of attitude that we have to have laws to begin with...People who refuse to act responsibly, those who refuse to follow the rules, and those who think they're above the law are the reason why bans are being implemented...
Can't get ignorant people to listen, so everyone will suffer...
Annie A

Fontana, CA

#21 Oct 8, 2010
I'm voting to KEEP fireworks legal in Fontana. It's wrong of us to place the blame on the objects and not on the people who are in charge of them. Learn to be responsible. Take the time to teach your children about the dangers and the risks involved in using fireworks. If you don't feel safe using them or having your children around them then don't. But don't make that decision for me. It's like saying "Cupcakes make people fat let's ban them." Really? Because my understanding is that I make me fat by over-indulging. It's called personal ACCOUNTABILITY. If my use of an object (fireworks or anything else) causes a problem it's my responsiblity to take care of it. The vast majority of people using fireworks do so in a safe manner. Almost every one of my neighbors comes out on the 4th to celebrate and it's a great time. Not one person has been injured. Not one home burned down. And everyone cleans up their mess. It's a celebration, not a missile attack. Calm down.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bloomington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr tom wingo 29,516
Lesbian snapchat users? (Oct '14) 10 hr dewayne_gray17 78
News Man beaten by San Bernardino deputies in video ... 20 hr Beta Max 2
News San Bernardino mother: School police went too f... Fri curious about drugs 1
News Autism could be linked with momsa diabetes duri... Apr 16 ITS VACCINES FOLKS 1
Sherif John Mcmahon Apr 13 Calvin Ralls 5
News 10 deputies on leave after California horse cha... Apr 13 Calvin Ralls 2
More from around the web

Bloomington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]