Neighbors work to help man trapped in auger | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Neighbors and emergency personnel formed a human chain to lift an injured Fayette County man out of a silo after his leg was caught in a grain auger yesterday afternoon.
Comments
1 - 20 of 26 Comments Last updated Jun 26, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rob

Mount Vernon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

Cleaning an auger with it running? No farm experience here -- but sure doesn't seem to make sense to me!!! Wishes for a good recovery!
timmy

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

Lucky man ! Safety first shut off the power first before cleaning ! Da !
Jeff W

Canal Winchester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

Neighbors helping neighbors we need more of this, people today seem to be in there own little world, not noticing or caring about they neighbors.
Great job!!!
Retired Deputy

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

This is a common farming "accident" they leave auger running and try to clean or unclog it. Not only can it chew up your leg but if enough corn is in the bin it can suck you down far enough you suffocate before anyone finds you. Shut it off !!!!!! Before getting into bin under all conditions and make sure even with it off you are not alone that you have an observer that can help you if there is trouble.
TAXPAYER

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

Yeah - the auger didn't suck his leg in it --- it just kept doing what it does and he put himself in a bad situation. Good thing that there are neighbors and nice people out there for stupid people.

“I oughtta be in Nashville”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

You can't help but to love the concept of neighbour helping neighbour when the chips are down. He's very fortunate to have neighbours that turned out to be some of the best friends one could have. Kudos to the neighbours. I hope that he makes out well. He's already off to a very good start, because of the wonderful human beings that rushed to his aid so quickly.
Rob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

wow. wish i could afford to move there. i'm afraid of my neighbors! the only thing they would do to help me would be to relieve me of all my troubling earthly possessions.
Common Sense

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

This is way it should be...neighbor helping neighbor. Tremendous outpouring of aid from all involved. Thoughts and prayers are with you, Mr. Miller.
helpfull

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

timmy wrote:
You have to have the auger on in order to clean the floor of the bin. It would be somewhat like you using a vacuum without the power on. There is a two foot hole in the middle and you sweep or shovel the grain into. Farming can be very dangerous and I do not think this was his first time doing this job so before you say "Da!" you might want to do some research into the job you have no clue about. Hope he can return to his job and make a full recover.
FARMER JIM

Celina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

helpfull wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to have the auger on in order to clean the floor of the bin. It would be somewhat like you using a vacuum without the power on. There is a two foot hole in the middle and you sweep or shovel the grain into. Farming can be very dangerous and I do not think this was his first time doing this job so before you say "Da!" you might want to do some research into the job you have no clue about. Hope he can return to his job and make a full recover.
This is always a 2 man job,one sweeping the other at the switch,at least that is the way we do it.
robert

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

sounds like he got screwed... I guess if it was a corn silo he would be saying shucks...
chuck

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

by looking at the headlines i would assume this article is about Oboma
Dr Who

Delaware, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

Hooray for neighbors who care!! Wish more people were that way. Of course, now-a-days, if you are a Good Samaritan, and something goes wrong, you end up getting sued.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Didn't some guy in Marion County get killed by one of those recently?
butterflylover

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

I hope he will be okay. What wonderful neighbors he has.
Country Folks

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

timmy wrote:
Timmy - Learn what it takes to clean before you comment. Da! Duh!

Neighbors helping neighbors - that's what country folks are all about.

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.
journalist

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

Rob wrote:
Cleaning an auger with it running? No farm experience here -- but sure doesn't seem to make sense to me!!! Wishes for a good recovery!
He wasn't cleaning the auger, he was sweeping the last bit of grain into the auger. When the auger wheel hits the cement after the grain is gone, it suddenly starts flying around the floor.
Common farming accident, that is if YOU know anything about farming.
Rob

Mount Vernon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

journalist wrote:
<quoted text>
He wasn't cleaning the auger, he was sweeping the last bit of grain into the auger. When the auger wheel hits the cement after the grain is gone, it suddenly starts flying around the floor.
Common farming accident, that is if YOU know anything about farming.
And I did say I was not a farmer -- but I will also agree with another reply that says it should be a 2 man job -- one cleaning and one at the switch!!!!!! But maybe people like the thrill of the danger of it -- I am not a farmer so I would not know!!!!
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

You'd think a farmer would know enough to avoid these 'common farming accidents'.
John

Pataskala, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

He was lucky that his neighbors could help him. I hope he is okay.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bloomingburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Kasim 30,465
any1 no brandon colter 1 hr Brandon colter 7
trash 2 hr wth 4
Shelly Willkins..... 2 hr wth 4
The new Village rehire 2 hr wth 18
washington court house molding (Dec '13) 12 hr spencer123 3
yusa corp 18 hr J N Russell Ex- M... 14
•••
Bloomingburg Dating

more search filters