Young Austin, Minn., author finds fam...

Young Austin, Minn., author finds fame - and fortune - publishing her work online

There are 22 comments on the story from Mar 8, 2011, titled Young Austin, Minn., author finds fame - and fortune - publishing her work online. In it, reports that:

For the fifth time in a year, Amanda Hocking was finishing a book. It was late 2009, and in a binge of Red Bull and Sweet Tarts - and intermittent cold cans of ravioli and SpaghettiOs - she continued to chase a dream that had eluded her for years.

Join the discussion below, or

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Garden City, MI

#3 Mar 9, 2011
Good for her!

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Mar 9, 2011
It's great she's having success, but she needs to make sure she gets a good lawyer, tax adviser, and financial consultant now that she has had some success. Don't want Uncle Sam taking all of that hard earned money.

Since: Feb 11

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Mar 9, 2011
Congratulations Amanda!

Madison, WI

#12 Mar 9, 2011
Congrats is in order. Someone who stuck with it and followed a dream. Still works if you stay with it long enough and don't get discouraged by all the naysayers.
See kids

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Mar 9, 2011
This is what a little perseverance will get you. Good for her for sticking to her dream!

Savage, MN

#16 Mar 9, 2011
Good for her. Capitalism at it's best!
Hire Her

Minneapolis, MN

#22 Mar 9, 2011
Fire that idiot Joe Soucheray and hire this kid to write a column. She is a success, she is tough, she works hard.

Do it just to make Joe crazy mad and save a bundle. Lean Dean's lawyers demand it.
Free Jeff Dubay

Saint Paul, MN

#24 Mar 9, 2011
Never take no for an answer.
Me in st paul

Minneapolis, MN

#28 Mar 9, 2011
Congratulations to this young woman. I admire people with the tenacity to stick to their dreams. Too many let fear get in the way.
MCullen NE

Minneapolis, MN

#30 Mar 9, 2011
Good for you Amanda!

Minneapolis, MN

#31 Mar 9, 2011
LOVE IT! I don't even know her and I'm proud of her. This article about her hard work and following her dream makes me want to buy her books, although I'm not sure the genre is for me.
Patrick Hafner

Spokane, WA

#32 Mar 9, 2011
Most excellent, Amanda! Keep it up!
outstate MN

Detroit Lakes, MN

#33 Mar 9, 2011
Congratulations to this young woman for working hard and achieving success!
So St Paul Kid

Saint Paul, MN

#34 Mar 9, 2011
Great job Amanda!!!
It's so nice to actually read a positive story in the news :)
I am very happy for you Amanda, doing what you enjoy. Much success to you.

Minneapolis, MN

#35 Mar 9, 2011
Fantastic!! Good for her and anyone else who has the tenacity to follow their dream. Wonderful to see a positive story, other than the shootings in North Mpls, someone suing because of their own stupidity, or more political BS.

Elk River, MN

#36 Mar 9, 2011
Way to go Amanda!!! In today's economics, self publishing is no longer seen as a black eye against you. Keep up the great work and go for $10,000,000 next!
James W Lewis

Marina, CA

#37 Mar 9, 2011
I always enjoy reading about the 'little guy" doing big things that nobody expected. She reminds me independent publishing is making big ripple effects in the whole industry, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

James W. Lewis

Glen Cove, NY

#39 Mar 9, 2011
HOLLOWLAND is fabulous. Zombie genre. I am finishing it now & can't say enough about it. She inspired me to write again.

United States

#40 Mar 9, 2011
Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!
Now find a trusted lawyer, accountant, and some assistants to do a whole lot of your "task" work so you have time to write.
Best Wishes

Middletown, DE

#44 Mar 10, 2011
Wow, jealous much? Obviously you've never read her books. Fresh and new and totally addictive. She deserves all this success and more! Love Her!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blooming Prairie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Largest Payout in Minnesota Awarded in Sexual O... Aug '16 Abrahamanic Relig... 1
News Austin woman accused of whipping son (Mar '11) Jul '16 Proudmomma 25
News Dodge County Commissioners Law enforcement cont... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Fdup 1
Regional Transit Survey (Mar '16) Mar '16 Southeast Minnesota 1
News One injured in fireworks explosion in southeast... (Nov '08) Feb '16 Rhondasloveone 8
News Schools (Feb '15) Feb '15 to many crazys ou... 1
News Blooming Prairie, Minn. / Ku Klux Klan's past i... (Mar '10) Feb '14 Destiny 6

Blooming Prairie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blooming Prairie Mortgages