Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81677 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Since: Jan 10

Scotts Vegas

#63852 Jul 19, 2012
I have wondered, were there ever any official scientific study results released after some bird autopsies? Reckon I'll do some Googling. Sounds like some copy/paste is gonna happen.

Scotts Vegas

#63853 Jul 19, 2012
OK, so I already found the answer.

Scotts Vegas

#63854 Jul 19, 2012
To my question that is, not why the birds died.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#63855 Jul 19, 2012
LSD923 wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if you haven't seen it, then it doesn't exist? Don't attack me, and I won't retaliate. For your information, many "credible" sources within the scientific community believe methane gases, released during earthquakes, are the cause of worldwide mass deaths of birds and fish. Just because you didn't see, or don't believe it, doesn't mean it is or isn't the correct theory.
Methane gas is released over volcanos. Guess all the birds died there too. You didn't see the birds die, nor did you do any little bird autopsies, you just read about it online. REAL RELIABLE.

Scotts Vegas

#63856 Jul 19, 2012
For roamingsomniac, STUDY UP!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php...

It's all about sources of methane.

Scotts Vegas

#63857 Jul 19, 2012
One of my other sources of info.

http://www.whatsyourimpact.eu.org/methane-sou...

“peace...”

Since: Apr 12

Madisonville, Ky

#63858 Jul 19, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Pete, your advice is well taken and good advice. I may be wrong, but I believe that Hempburn was talking about cutting a wooden barrel since he referenced cutting bands and removing screws. When I am cutting thinner metal such as a barrel, I prefer using a SAWZall with a metal cutting blade simply beause I have one and interchanging from wood to metal blades is quick. It is a slower cut than a cocrete saw though, but few people own concrete saws unless they are in the business and it is not economical to rent a concrete saw for a small project.
A skill saw with a metal cutting carbide blade will work well also. I rarely need to cut anything that would require a torch. If cutting sheet metal such as metal roofing, one can use a skill saw with a normal wood cutting blade installed on the saw backwards.
Your advice would also apply to anyone trying to weld an old automobile gas tank. I know of one that exploded that had been empty for over 20 years.
Those are definitely good pointers as well, especially on light materials.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#63859 Jul 19, 2012
Blueminer wrote:
Sorry, I don't click on random links. You need to study it if you think it's true.

“peace...”

Madisonville, Ky

#63861 Jul 19, 2012
Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, but this is a wooden whiskey barrell with steel bands, so you have to screw all five bands down to each wooden slat, then cut the barrel in half lengthwise. I think the end result was worth the effort.
Although my friend survived the blast, he probably wished it had been a wooden barrell as well!!

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#63862 Jul 19, 2012
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
<quoted text>Methane gas is released over volcanos. Guess all the birds died there too. You didn't see the birds die, nor did you do any little bird autopsies, you just read about it online. REAL RELIABLE.
Hi, "RI". Don't you agree though that animals, birds included, can tell when nature is about to act up? Perhaps they can detect a release of gas over a volcano before they even get close to it's crater? I'd think they would be extremely alert particularly before a volcanic eruption.

Maybe it's the extremely sudden release of gas pockets from slight plate shifts that they can't navigate in order to avoid beforehand. The Earth is HUGE (of course), so even a slight release of gas could reasonably kill a bird if methane was rising...
(Again, remember that the coal miners used birds to detect dangerous gasses. Usually one per cage per mind shaft).

Also recall that cooking with Teflon in your kitchen, releases enough toxins to kill a pet bird in another room of your house.

It doesn't take much to kill a bird. They're delicate creatures.
question

United States

#63864 Jul 19, 2012
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
<quoted text>Methane gas is released over volcanos. Guess all the birds died there too. You didn't see the birds die, nor did you do any little bird autopsies, you just read about it online. REAL RELIABLE.
I use to like reading this thread where did the cool people go?

Location hidden

#63865 Jul 19, 2012
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
By the way, I did see news coverage of a local mass bird death right here in southern Kentucky. Again, we were told it was probably natural causes. Personally, I don't see how 200 plus birds can "naturally" start to die in mid air all at the same time, over the same parcel of land, and fall all at once.... It makes no sense no matter HOW you look at it.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#63866 Jul 19, 2012
Blueminer wrote:
For Bluewhiner, SHUT UP! All you know about birds is how to stuff them and hang them on the walls of the Bates Motel. I can teach you all you need to know about methane with one blast.

Scotts Vegas

#63867 Jul 19, 2012
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>For Bluewhiner, SHUT UP! All you know about birds is how to stuff them and hang them on the walls of the Bates Motel. I can teach you all you need to know about methane with one blast.
Get back under your rock please.

“peace...”

Madisonville, Ky

#63868 Jul 19, 2012
BIG BAD storm in Hopkins County!

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#63869 Jul 19, 2012
question wrote:
<quoted text>
I use to like reading this thread where did the cool people go?
Sorry. No cool people here.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#63870 Jul 19, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, I did see news coverage of a local mass bird death right here in southern Kentucky. Again, we were told it was probably natural causes. Personally, I don't see how 200 plus birds can "naturally" start to die in mid air all at the same time, over the same parcel of land, and fall all at once.... It makes no sense no matter HOW you look at it.
I agree birds are fragile. I can kill them.

Location hidden

#63871 Jul 19, 2012
Uht oh. You better take cover, R. Pete!!! We're expecting to rock and roll down this way later tonight too. I like thunderstorms, but not the winds and/or hail. That wind scares me...
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#63873 Jul 19, 2012
I lost a big limb in yesterday's storm that just barely missed my power line and house. Another storm today from 6:10 until 6:30 and I reset my clocks 4 times. But all seems calm now.

Location hidden

#63874 Jul 19, 2012
Well, I'll be back later when everyone is chattier. LOL! I need some coffee anyway....

Take care all. Avoid those storm dangers!!

*Poof*

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bloomfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
trina osborne anyone??? 25 min Loren 2
does anyone know how i could get ahold of Micha... (Jun '15) 28 min jwg 15
vette got beat up by kayondra (Mar '09) 47 min GetALyfe 2
jojo at mcdonalds 2 hr coworker 1
Wings and Ring 6 hr Billy 13
Why are all lburg woman Sooo hateful , Towards ... 6 hr Michelle2014 4
anyone know what ever happened to.... ..... (Sep '09) 7 hr Smw2014 5

Bloomfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance