Raw sewage causing headaches

Raw sewage causing headaches

There are 49 comments on the WTHI Terre Haute story from Mar 14, 2008, titled Raw sewage causing headaches. In it, WTHI Terre Haute reports that:

Raw sewage is causing a headache for a Wabash Valley woman. Marilyn Stone says last month a sewer line backed up in front of her house, pumping raw sewage into her basement.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHI Terre Haute.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Marilyn Stone

Terre Haute, IN

#43 Mar 17, 2008
Ms Town Board President wrote:
If you want to hear the correct story and not a lot of mis-information that you are getting on this site, then I suggest you go to the next town board meeting. I will have documentation and facts.
So will I. Marilyn
April Fools

Bloomington, IN

#44 Mar 17, 2008
The President and the Stone will be at the Fire Station on April 1st. How much do you want to bet the Daily World and the Free Press will be there diggin this scoop too!
Everyone is an equal

Chicago, IL

#45 Mar 17, 2008
No resident that is on a public sewer system should be held responseible for anything when the clog was in the main line. Now if it was on the residents property then that is different. That would be completely on the resident. But when it is in the main line... Come on... She was told to have her sewer line replaced and did and has proof that she paid to have it done. No resident should be told... Oh if you don't want our sewer backing up in your basement then you need to cap off your drain. If the sewer is backing up that much then the town needs to find out why it is backing up and fix it to where it don't. Now that don't mean the resident can't be proactive. But even if a one way valve is put on and then there is a back up then no it won't go in her house it will just back up to the nearest outlet which may be a neighbors house.
Marilyn Stone

Terre Haute, IN

#46 Mar 18, 2008
Everyone is an equal wrote:
No resident that is on a public sewer system should be held responseible for anything when the clog was in the main line. Now if it was on the residents property then that is different. That would be completely on the resident. But when it is in the main line... Come on... She was told to have her sewer line replaced and did and has proof that she paid to have it done. No resident should be told... Oh if you don't want our sewer backing up in your basement then you need to cap off your drain. If the sewer is backing up that much then the town needs to find out why it is backing up and fix it to where it don't. Now that don't mean the resident can't be proactive. But even if a one way valve is put on and then there is a back up then no it won't go in her house it will just back up to the nearest outlet which may be a neighbors house.
Thank you for your comments. Marilyn
ihateliars

Lexington Park, MD

#47 Mar 18, 2008
how do you know that the clog was just in the main? did you ask the people replacing the sewer pipe, or did you just ASSume?
Marilyn Stone

Terre Haute, IN

#48 Mar 18, 2008
ihateliars wrote:
how do you know that the clog was just in the main? did you ask the people replacing the sewer pipe, or did you just ASSume?
The town employees said the main was blocked on 2/25. When they "cleaned" the main the sewage stopped flowing into my basement.

Unfortunately, when they "cleaned" the main they only punched a 2" hole through the blockage, so it became blocked again a week later and dumped more sewage into my basement. The IDEM investigator was here when this happened and also said it was from the sewer.

This most recent time (I think that was 3/6), it was a temporary blockage and opened up on its own by the time the town employees arrived. This was after the town replaced a short section of their main in front of my house. So, clearly there is still a problem in the town's sewer line.

It's only a matter of time till it happens again and who knows whether it will be a temporary or complete blockage. The cap was put on my basement drain after the most recent sewer back up. When the main sewer line is blocked for any length of time now, my toilet and drains will back up in my house when I use them.

I can see that you intend your comments to be insulting, but at least they do give me an opportunity to explain what is really happening here.

Marilyn Stone
Marla

United States

#49 Mar 26, 2008
Here in Fresno, CA the Dept. of Public Works was caught deliberately exposing residents to raw sewage, behind felony altering of the sewer/water lines - then LYING about the cause of these horrendous events! Despite illness, lung/respiratory, infections, amputation, death, soil testing is REFUSED! They refuse to even acknowledge the situation. As the rate of staph has increased in Fresno, the city increased medical benefits for themselves while slamming the door on the public. How is THAT for barbaric?!?
IGnatius T Foobar

White Plains, NY

#52 Jul 31, 2008
Marilyn Stone wrote:
By the way, I should be able to have a drain in my basement without worrying that the town sewer will come up in it.
In most locations it is illegal to drain rainwater into a municipal sewer. Greywater from drains, gutters, etc. is supposed to flow to a drywell.

Some towns will even go as far as to smoke the sewers from time to time in order to detect illegal hookups. Standard residential plumbing is not affected because the smoke is blocked by the traps (the U-shaped devices installed inline). Illegal drain and gutter hookups, on the other hand, send forth a nice smoke signal that tells the town where to mail a citation.:)
ROL

Mansfield, OH

#53 Aug 10, 2008
If they would hire engineers that did the job right the first time we wouldn't be having this problem!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bloomfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rich Walls Construction 2 hr Kawasaki 4
Jhaqueil Reagan? 4 hr DKA 2
First United Church Fri JERRY 2
Stress games guards Thu Jane 1
Need a contractor Aug 22 Independent 1
Ford ktp Aug 18 Want to know 1
Daed beat Father Thomas Sexton (Aug '11) Aug 17 The Enforcer 19
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bloomfield Mortgages