Raw sewage causing headaches

Raw sewage causing headaches

There are 49 comments on the WTHI Terre Haute story from Mar 14, 2008, titled Raw sewage causing headaches. In it, WTHI Terre Haute reports that:

Raw sewage is causing a headache for a Wabash Valley woman. Marilyn Stone says last month a sewer line backed up in front of her house, pumping raw sewage into her basement.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHI Terre Haute.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
fanofbloomfield

Lexington Park, MD

#1 Mar 14, 2008
She bought the house knowing it had sewage problems and then refused to put in a $5.00 cap. The sewage did not reach the furnace. The airborne bacteria can not live this long. Why is she complaining about the mess, I thought she wanted the sewer fixed. She needs to make up her mind. How come she didn't do anything to prevent this, when she knew all along she had a problem.
confused

Lexington Park, MD

#2 Mar 14, 2008
The reason the town had to use bleach was because she called up the professional cleaning companies and said she was suing, and they refused because of liabilities. Smart move, duh???
notafanof bloomfieldsewer

Lexington Park, MD

#3 Mar 14, 2008
Our first house, the day we were to move in, our sewer backed up into every room. The old town board told us that it was our problem, even though we had never lived there. When I got someone to come and look at it, there was a pop can in the main sewer line that had back up the sewer and not only that the apartments behind us ran onto our sewer line, so we had all of there "stuff" in our house. To sum it all up the town finally paid to have it cleaned up, but not before 4 inches of "stuff" sat in our house for 7 weeks. I totally agree with Ms. Stone fighting to get this fixed. Oh one more thought the old town board just wanted Stanley Steamer to clean the carpet and put it back in the house, after it had sat there for 7 weeks. He told them that he would not do that, because there is no way to completely kill all of the bacteria...
Hoosier4Life

Mundelein, IL

#4 Mar 14, 2008
If the IDEM told the Lady it was her responsibility, and the town did some of that work, I would say thank you to the Town. When working with budgets and government agencies that are telling the town that it isn't their responsibility, and they still help. That says a lot for the town's council! It's obvious that they care when they do more than what they are told! You can see that they are trying to help by the evidence in the Lady's front yard that a construction crew has been working. Some people always blame Government and Leadership for issues! Why can't people take responsibility for themselves!
A $5 dollar cap. Good grief!!
ihatedummies

Girard, OH

#5 Mar 14, 2008
Mrs. Stone, Read my lips: Put the $5.00 cap on.
confused

Lexington Park, MD

#6 Mar 14, 2008
Why did you let that stuff sit for 7 weeks, have you ever heard of a shop vac? Besides it only backed up in 1 room of her house, the basement, no carpet and preventive maintennance for $5.00 would have stopped the problem.
ihatedummiestoo

Lexington Park, MD

#7 Mar 14, 2008
Way to go Hoosier4Life!!!
Marilyn Stone

Terre Haute, IN

#8 Mar 14, 2008
Hoosier4Life wrote:
If the IDEM told the Lady it was her responsibility, and the town did some of that work, I would say thank you to the Town. When working with budgets and government agencies that are telling the town that it isn't their responsibility, and they still help. That says a lot for the town's council! It's obvious that they care when they do more than what they are told! You can see that they are trying to help by the evidence in the Lady's front yard that a construction crew has been working. Some people always blame Government and Leadership for issues! Why can't people take responsibility for themselves!
A $5 dollar cap. Good grief!!
If IDEM had said that I'd have to agree with your comments, but IDEM actually told me the problem was from the main sewer line and if it were properly maintained I wouldn't have sewage in my basement. He also agreed that sealing my drain might stop the sewage from coming in the basement, but then where will it go? Will it come up thru my upstairs drains or toilet. He couldn't answer that. The drain it sealed now -- we'll just have to see what happens next.

The IDEM report will take several weeks to get back, but he told me it will say that the problem is a maintenance issue. He said if the town is maintaining the line it clearly is not effective or this wouldn't be happening.

My plumbing is fine, I replaced my whole sewer line at great expense after moving here and was told by the town that would solve the problem. By the way, I should be able to have a drain in my basement without worrying that the town sewer will come up in it.

Did the folks down on the south end of Bloomfield have to seal up their drains when the petroleum smell came in from the sewer? I don't think so, instead the town spent $5000 to investigate the matter and it was just a smell, not a biohazard.

The town did replace a short section of sewer in front of my house after the latest back up. Then the sewer backed up again a few days later, the day the IDEM inspector was here and he saw it. Clearly the short new section of pipe did not solve the problem. The sewer needs to be replaced down to the next manhole.

I hope this explains things a little better.
Marilyn
Marilyn Stone

Terre Haute, IN

#9 Mar 14, 2008
confused wrote:
Why did you let that stuff sit for 7 weeks, have you ever heard of a shop vac? Besides it only backed up in 1 room of her house, the basement, no carpet and preventive maintennance for $5.00 would have stopped the problem.
Wow that would have been dumb. But, in fact, it didn't sit for even 1 hour. I called as soon as I saw and heard the stuff running into my basement. There is some serious misinformation going on out there. This is the kind of filth that a professional has to clean up and sanitize. The hazards from this kind of mess are documented elsewhere and I will not go into it here.

I'm really worried that next time the sewage will come up in myhouse where the cleanup will be even more complicated.
Marilyn Stone

Terre Haute, IN

#10 Mar 14, 2008
confused wrote:
The reason the town had to use bleach was because she called up the professional cleaning companies and said she was suing, and they refused because of liabilities. Smart move, duh???
I did not tell the cleaning companies I was suing. I found out before even talking to them I can't sue in small claims court and don't have a lawyer to represent me in regular court. There is no lawsuit for me to talk about. I mentioned it at the council meeting, but found out the next day I can't do it.

The cleaning companies told me they decided not to come after the town told them they wouldn't pay to do the whole job the way the professionals saw fit. By the way, I only called them to find out when they were coming then they told me they weren't and why. Marilyn
Marilyn Stone

Terre Haute, IN

#11 Mar 14, 2008
fanofbloomfield wrote:
She bought the house knowing it had sewage problems and then refused to put in a $5.00 cap. The sewage did not reach the furnace. The airborne bacteria can not live this long. Why is she complaining about the mess, I thought she wanted the sewer fixed. She needs to make up her mind. How come she didn't do anything to prevent this, when she knew all along she had a problem.
Viruses, including hepatitis which is often found in human waste, can live for months on a dry surface. I do nees the basement and sewer cleaned, but thesource of the problem is still the main sewer line.
Marilyn Stone

Terre Haute, IN

#12 Mar 14, 2008
fanofbloomfield wrote:
I did not know there were sewage problems when I bought the house. When I found out I did what the town told me and replaced my sewer line. The town said that was the problem, but it wasn't. and why shouldn't I be able to have a drain in my basement without worrying about sewage coming in from the main line? It's sealed now -- let's see what happens next time.
ihateliars

Lexington Park, MD

#13 Mar 14, 2008
obiously your plumbing isn't fine, cause the town also cleaned out your sewer line and it had roots in it too. you did tell the cleaning company that you were suing and the furnace man. if you're so worried about the sewage why did you buy the house in the first place and the folks on the south end were told that part of the problem was theirs and they needed a trap or at least to update their trap. how do you know it wasn't a biohazard smell, the report isn't back yet from the health dept.

Lexington Park, MD

#14 Mar 14, 2008
O.K. you morons. It sat in the house for 7 weeks because my lawyer said not to touch it, because that would let the town off the hook. No I sat on my ass for 7 weeks because I really like to have S!!t in my house. Are people really that stupid. Will see what you do when it happens to you. And for another fact it took the town board and their people (lawyer, sewer guy and about 20 other people) 10 days just to come and look at the problem. It was proven that the town was at fault. So with that you basically just have to wait for them to fix it.
greenecounty

United States

#15 Mar 14, 2008
What you didn't report in your story is the fact that the town paid more than $4,000 (that they didn't have to) the last time her sewer backed up. This is someone who wants to whine and wants something for nothing.
Your reporting was lacking in facts and background.

Lexington Park, MD

#16 Mar 14, 2008
Also the sealed cap in the basement actually does nothing, except when her sewer backs up again it will just come up through her sinks and bathtub. The sewer in my house came up through the bathtub. So the so called $5.00 cap is soooooo not worth it.....
ihateliars

Lexington Park, MD

#17 Mar 14, 2008
she has 2 sewer lines, with the cap it would have flowed in her yard, her stool and tub are separate. the town also backed up sewage in my basement once and i sure didn't wait on the lawyers or town board, i cleaned the poo away and then took them a bill and they paid for it, because they backed the sewer up on purpose, they just forgot i had a basement.
DO NOT UNDERSTAND

Lexington Park, MD

#18 Mar 14, 2008
SO WHY NOT TURN YOUR FURNACE ON? YOU HAVE LIVED IN YOUR HOUSE THAT HAS RAW SEWAGE FOR WEEKS? TO ME THIS WOULD BE JUST AS HARMFUL TO YOUR ASTHMA, BREATHING, IN THE SMELL. SO APPARENTLY YOU HAVE NOT BEEN TOO WORRIED ABOUT YOUR HEALTH. IT SURE
LOOKS LIKE BLOOMFIELD HAS TAKEN THE RESPONSIBILTY
AND FIXED THE PROBLEMS FOR YOU. SURE YOUR FRONT YARD IS GOING TO LOOK A MESS, IT ALWAYS DOES WHEN
YOU DIG UP SEWER LINES AND REPLACE THEM, I THINK THAT IT IS TIME THAT YOU START TAKING RESPONSIBILITY AND START GIVING THE TOWN SOME CREDIT FOR HELPING YOU.
Hoosier4Life

Mundelein, IL

#19 Mar 14, 2008
Marilyn Stone wrote:
<quoted text>
If IDEM had said that I'd have to agree with your comments, but IDEM actually told me the problem was from the main sewer line and if it were properly maintained I wouldn't have sewage in my basement. He also agreed that sealing my drain might stop the sewage from coming in the basement, but then where will it go? Will it come up thru my upstairs drains or toilet. He couldn't answer that. The drain it sealed now -- we'll just have to see what happens next.
The IDEM report will take several weeks to get back, but he told me it will say that the problem is a maintenance issue. He said if the town is maintaining the line it clearly is not effective or this wouldn't be happening.
My plumbing is fine, I replaced my whole sewer line at great expense after moving here and was told by the town that would solve the problem. By the way, I should be able to have a drain in my basement without worrying that the town sewer will come up in it.
Did the folks down on the south end of Bloomfield have to seal up their drains when the petroleum smell came in from the sewer? I don't think so, instead the town spent $5000 to investigate the matter and it was just a smell, not a biohazard.
The town did replace a short section of sewer in front of my house after the latest back up. Then the sewer backed up again a few days later, the day the IDEM inspector was here and he saw it. Clearly the short new section of pipe did not solve the problem. The sewer needs to be replaced down to the next manhole.
I hope this explains things a little better.
Marilyn
Do you remember Lucy and Charlie Brown. Lucy said kick and Charlie Brown fell? The Town can just do anything they want with taxpayer money. The town board is not going to fall for an uneducated assumption of what someone thinks might be the case. This stuff has to be supported by evidence. They have to justify it. It looks like they are bending over backwards to help you. This stuff just takes time. I'm sure they will help if the results from the IDEM say it's up tp the town to fix. They have helped so much this far, why would they stop?
ihateliars

Lexington Park, MD

#20 Mar 14, 2008
Marilyn Stone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow that would have been dumb. But, in fact, it didn't sit for even 1 hour. I called as soon as I saw and heard the stuff running into my basement. There is some serious misinformation going on out there. This is the kind of filth that a professional has to clean up and sanitize. The hazards from this kind of mess are documented elsewhere and I will not go into it here.
I'm really worried that next time the sewage will come up in myhouse where the cleanup will be even more complicated.
; I think you should move to Linton, you know what they say about that city, "You'll like Linton"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bloomfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dr Labban's new Co Dr (Dr. Harris?) 3 hr Amber 65
David A. Turpin 44 Greene county Feb 5 Callem out 1
Chandra Day and Jack Farmer Jr Feb 5 Mommyloveskids5 2
Trista Taylor Feb 5 Mommyloveskids5 2
News Celebration of literature opens Black History M... Feb 4 LoL 1
Hottest Mom in Linton? (Mar '12) Feb 1 Inquiring minds 6
Is Obama the worst President ever? (Jan '12) Feb 1 Gina 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bloomfield Mortgages