S. Ind. hotel assists struggling women

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

A businesswoman who bought a rundown hotel three years ago has converted it into transitional housing to help struggling women get their lives together.
Comments
21 - 34 of 34 Comments Last updated Apr 16, 2007
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Denetia woodruff

Morristown, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

I am very glad to hear of this kind of housing that is especially Faith Based...There are several obsticles in the way sometimes but if you give someone a bit of hope with tough love as well it will make them more sucessful ...I also agree with the fact that no men are allowed...These women need to get themselves together and if they are not married by law then dating slows them down in more ways than one ...Good job and much sucess to you and your h.o.p.e apts.
D WOODRUFF

Morristown, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

H.O.P.E. it all works out for these young moms
Jennifer Fry

Southport, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

I think this is wonderful! America needs more Kelly Hardings!
roll models

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Always got to be negitive don't you? No you can't get a mortgage fot less than 450. in Indy. Not unless you wan't to live in the getto where you are now
. This lady is trying to help...Suport her or shut-up. don't you know you are only showing your own stupity Pwople like you aren't worth helping so, get out of the way of someone trying to help....
indianapolis wrote:
I fail to see how 435/m. is helping anyone get on their feet in Bloomfield. You can own a house and have a mortgage for a lot cheaper than that in Indianapolis.
I doubt women who are already labled as "struggling" need to be taught that they don't get "things for free" either. If things were for free, they wouldn't be struggling right? Very few women need to be taught that in this world.
This sounds like a pretentious do-gooder wanting a tax write off.
SHERRY OTTILIE

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

I have a 28 year old daughter who is struggling to survive with her 3 children. She is working full time but cannot over babysitting, Rent, food, and all the other things you must have to survive. She has tried to receive help and they tell her she makes to much money... She is now on the verge of going into a homeless shelter and losing her job... and her oldest who is 6 will have to be taken out of the only stable environment he has known.
The fathers of the children refuse to pay child-support and she has been through the legal system time over time. Can you please help her ?
SHERRY OTTILIE

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

PLEASE CONTACT ME @ SLOTTILIE@INSIGHTBB.COM

“Yeah, I said it.”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Brock Landers wrote:
<quoted text>
She shouldn't have had kids if she isn't capable of supporting them...not one, not two, NOT THREE! Why are people so irresponsible? Is it deliberate?
Dude, check yourself. A desperate grandma's heartfelt plea for some relief for her daughter/grandkids and you respond with THAT?! Regardless of your political beliefs or her kid's mistakes, she doesn't need to hear that crap. She's silently asked the question herself hundreds of times.
ELLA MENOPE

Ridgewood, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Good for her. And so what if the government kicks in a little (or a lot, for that matter). We all look for tax deductions, don't we ? Something exists here that did not before - this person created something good and should be commended.
Old Guy

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

indianapolis wrote:
I fail to see how 435/m. is helping anyone get on their feet in Bloomfield. You can own a house and have a mortgage for a lot cheaper than that in Indianapolis.
I doubt women who are already labled as "struggling" need to be taught that they don't get "things for free" either. If things were for free, they wouldn't be struggling right? Very few women need to be taught that in this world.
Not with all utilities included you can't.
indianapolis

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

I have run a not for profit in Indianpolis helping survivors of domestic violence navigate the legal system.
another mom

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Thankfully, as a single mom of one for the last 11 years, I have been blessed to be able to own my own home and pay all the utilities, insurance...so forth...it's been hard, but it sure can be done. I have been blessed with a good job with benefits. Some women and men too for that matter, need more help than some of us. If I would ever hit the lottery, I would do the very same thing...help my neighbors and strangers in need. It is not a political matter here. Great job, I am greatfull someone has the money and resources than that I don't have and are willing to use them in a great way. Thank YOU
Santa Clause

Frankfort, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

I think the $435/mo for ALL THAT - rent, utilities, child care, laundry, computer use, clothing, job counseling, etc. is a bit unrealistic. What can be accomplished in two years? I'm not sure except that I could bore you all with what little I accomplished in two years - next to nothing. Two years is not a lot of time.

And when, in two years, they are deemed 'ready' to hit the road, the sticker shock of living without assistance from a Christian Agency like this, or it's 'amenities', is inevitable. The reality check might backfire.

I'm hoping that Ms. Kelly is going to push these women toward higher education, because that is the only ticket to a better life, considering all they are struggling with in life. A person can become well educated in two years time. Faith is wonderful, but there's nothing like a $600+ a week paycheck to pay the bills! Life gets expensive, honestly I don't know how I did it on what I earned for the last 10 years, and I'm finally getting a college education.

Good Luck, Ms. Kelly, in your endeavors!
RUDY

Muncie, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

indianapolis wrote:
Sounds like another "Headlines Only" reader.
RUDY

Muncie, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Funny how God works. He hears, he listens, he delivers. Last night my Girlfriend and I were trying to find ways to help her longtime friend in a situation very similar to the ones this woman is reaching out to. Her situation is much the same, only hers may include mental illness. Anyone know of something similar in Indy?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bloomfield Discussions

Search the Bloomfield Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
BAGHDAD IS BURNING - Way to go boosh! Jul 22 JOE NASTY 2
Josh Hall (May '12) Jul 19 Chris 3
linton police department (Aug '13) Jul 16 Liberal 9
Affairs at the prison Jul 16 Liberal 1
Murder suspects: 'It was something that popped ... (Jun '13) Jul 15 just wondering 9
Welcome to Dinky's Auction House (Aug '08) Jul 13 Big Jess 42
Ind. judge grants same-sex divorce Jul 5 WasteWater 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Bloomfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bloomfield People Search