S. Ind. hotel assists struggling women

S. Ind. hotel assists struggling women

There are 34 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Apr 16, 2007, titled S. Ind. hotel assists struggling women. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A businesswoman who bought a rundown hotel three years ago has converted it into transitional housing to help struggling women get their lives together.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Linda

Taiwan

#1 Apr 16, 2007
Praise the Lord! Someone can see the needs of others without a big hand out wanting a return. I am proud of your efforts. You are the first and hope you aren't the last to reach out in faith.
indianapolis

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Apr 16, 2007
I fail to see how 435/m. is helping anyone get on their feet in Bloomfield. You can own a house and have a mortgage for a lot cheaper than that in Indianapolis.
I doubt women who are already labled as "struggling" need to be taught that they don't get "things for free" either. If things were for free, they wouldn't be struggling right? Very few women need to be taught that in this world.
This sounds like a pretentious do-gooder wanting a tax write off.
Smelling like a rose

Danville, IN

#3 Apr 16, 2007
good luck--may you be successful
Kay

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Apr 16, 2007
I think this is a wonderful thing Kelly is doing! Can we get more information as to where we could send donations of business clothing for the women or clothing for the children? I know a lot of people who would be willing to help out.
Heather

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Apr 16, 2007
indianapolis wrote:
I fail to see how 435/m. is helping anyone get on their feet in Bloomfield. You can own a house and have a mortgage for a lot cheaper than that in Indianapolis.
While this is true - how many low income people can get a mortgage or a loan? Not many. And if your credit is bad after a bad divorce or whatnot, that not many drops to zero. I also think that the money they pay might go to the child care center there as well, which - where can you get child care that cheap per month along with your rent?

It's a great idea what she is doing. It sounds like she is trying to do a good thing for these women - and kudos to her for trying it.

Here's to hoping it works.

“Yeah, I said it.”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis

#6 Apr 16, 2007
indianapolis wrote:
I fail to see how 435/m. is helping anyone get on their feet in Bloomfield. You can own a house and have a mortgage for a lot cheaper than that in Indianapolis...
Did you read the part where the $435 included; utilities, laundry, computer room, cooperative child-care, fitness center, and job training? That's a pretty nice little package for a young woman willing to put in some effort. I noticed it is Christian-based with several restrictions on guests and behavior. THIS is the type of programs churches and religious organizations should be involved with. I'm an agnostic, but i think religious organizations have the capacity and opportunity to do a lot of good if they would simply stay focused on helping their communities. There are so many areas in Indy and the state which would benefit from programs like this.
Alyssa Ping

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Apr 16, 2007
I rent a house on the southside of Beech Grove for $500.00 a month. I don't see how this is going to help anyone.
saywhat

United States

#8 Apr 16, 2007
indianapolis wrote:
I doubt women who are already labled as "struggling" need to be taught that they don't get "things for free" either. If things were for free, they wouldn't be struggling right? Very few women need to be taught that in this world.
And your doing what to help someone?
individual

San Jose, CA

#9 Apr 16, 2007
Linda wrote:
Praise the Lord! Someone can see the needs of others without a big hand out wanting a return. I am proud of your efforts. You are the first and hope you aren't the last to reach out in faith.
Article fails to mention that this place will get significant handouts of taxpayers monies from the government(s). What's laudable about 'taking' from hard working taxpayers? Now if the person was doing 100% out of their own pockets, that's laudable.

“Say no to HILLARY ”

Since: Mar 07

Westfield, Indiana

#10 Apr 16, 2007
indianapolis wrote:
Wow someone tries to do something good and you find issues with it.
If you can do better go ahead.
Stop Hating

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Apr 16, 2007
Alyssa Ping wrote:
I rent a house on the southside of Beech Grove for $500.00 a month. I don't see how this is going to help anyone.
Well, unless you include the other amenities and necessities, then your rental is not a deal OR a chance to help these women get on their feet.
Jerri

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Apr 16, 2007
Bless your heart! I'll put your organization on my "Christmas" list.
Love it

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Apr 16, 2007
individual wrote:
<quoted text>
Article fails to mention that this place will get significant handouts of taxpayers monies from the government(s). What's laudable about 'taking' from hard working taxpayers? Now if the person was doing 100% out of their own pockets, that's laudable.
Are you sure about that? Most of these places survive on grants and private donations. But, speaking as a tax payer, I'm glad to spend some of my hard earned money on programs that help the greater good.
Jerri

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Apr 16, 2007
indianapolis wrote:
With utilities, child-care, transportation and employment help, I think there is more here to consider than just the cost of rent. And I don't know how poor women would qualify for a mortgage at any cost.

Unfortunately there are many young women who DO think the world is gonna give them a free ride. Look around at some of the welfare recipients who have their hands out for every entitlement they can get. Quite a few of them have known no other way of life except on the dole.

Rural areas have few resources compared to places like Indy. I know, as I have travelled the state and looked at the types of services that are available. Substance abuse, mental health, well-baby care, etc. are things taken for granted in a large metropolitan area.

One important example would be section 8 low-income housing which is quite common in big cities. Not so in rural towns. Other social/welfare programs we are used to here in Indy are simply not available everywhere. Some of our counties are very poor - yes, poor!

I say good for her and if she does get a tax write-off she deserves it.

“Yeah, I said it.”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis

#16 Apr 16, 2007
a more in-depth article.

http://www.dailycitizen.com/articles/2007/04/...

funding appears to be in the form of a government loan. 1st floor of the building can also be leased commercial. She has also opened a low-income clinic in the building. I suppose you can make the argument that tax money is being used, but in a standard loan. It appears she bought the building with her own money and then got gov. money for remodeling and startup.
nonsequitor

Bloomington, IN

#17 Apr 16, 2007
I've known this woman since she was in high school. She doesn't say anything about tax write-offs when she talks about this project to her inner circle of friends. She constantly mentions how glad she is that this opportunity to assist a group of women in need has come to her. I also live in Greene County and her venture is going to cost me a lot less than the courthouse fiasco in Bloomfield.
GoodWork

United States

#18 Apr 16, 2007
That's great and hopefully that works and those women are able to improve there life...
Just Me

West Des Moines, IA

#19 Apr 16, 2007
Alyssa Ping wrote:
Again, does it include utilities, laundry, computer room, cooperative child-care, fitness center, and job training? I'm sure your paying much more than $500 a month.
OMG

Brooklyn, IN

#20 Apr 16, 2007
They don't expect handouts? Are you crazy? If they weren't expecting handouts then why do they stay on WELFARE for years or a lifetime? I am a nurse making a decent amount of money. I can not go to the grocery store and buy several lobsters and salmon with all types of forgein brand foods. Maybe once in awhile. These welfare queens are going and buying high price items and abusing the system. Then they want to get crappy because they can not have other things free. They already get child care for a discount/if not free. Some qualify for a gas voucher weekly. So i'm paying 3.00 a gallon to buy gas and spending 60 to fill my tank. While we are all spending another 20.00 per person to fill there tanks too! Great job KELLY Good luck! I think this is an amazing thing your doing. Please give these woman a chance to know how to survive without living on welfare!
OMG

Brooklyn, IN

#21 Apr 16, 2007
It's one thing to be on welfare if you need it for the time being. But then you work hard and earn your way so you can get off of the system! That is the only way to do it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bloomfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any1 kno who Dusty Robertson is dating? (Mar '12) Aug 24 Rukiddingme 17
Hep Aug 23 Knottafan 2
Pizza question from an out of towner Aug 20 Anonymous 7
News Second Greene County shooting in two weeks (Jul '08) Aug 20 Malbert1076 20
News Rx refusal bill stalls in Senate (Jan '08) Aug 19 muslim babies 276
JAY JACOBS of Bloomington Aug 17 CONCERNED 1
Giant yard sale Aug 16 Buyer 1

Bloomfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance