Wis. school board: New Marine can't wear his uniform for gradua...

Full story: TwinCities.com

A new Marine who's graduating from Bloomer High School this month won't be able to wear his military uniform during the commencement ceremony.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 36 of36
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Red Ryder

Monroe, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

Judged:

Code Pink Protesters Try Witchcraft at Anti-Marine Rallies

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354400,00...

Code Pink is now resorting to witchcraft to beef up the number of its supporters protesting Berkeley's controversial Marine Corps Recruiting Center.
The women's anti-war group has told ralliers to come equipped with spells and pointy hats Friday for "Witches, clowns and sirens day," the last of the group's weeklong homage to Mother's Day.

---They truly are clueless to their impact. From the article:
But if events this week are an attempt by anti-war protesters to remarket their cause, the Marine recruiters in Berkeley tell FOXNews.com that Code Pink's presence outside their office has helped not hindered their mission.
"Ironically, it's actually helped us by putting our name out. We're now well known. And people know who we are, and where we are, and they come in to talk to us about enlisting. They've gotten us the publicity that we could've never afforded to pay for ourselves," Wheatcroft told FOXNews.com .
"Just in the last three weeks, 10 people came in looking to apply, looking to become Marine officers, and that's much higher than normal," he said.
SGT WEAVER

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

Appears pretty un-patriotic to me!
Drunkoncouch

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

I would pick up my diploma at the end of the ceremony and hang with my friends at the school.
Drunkoncouch

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

Oh yes, while in full military dress.
Big Teachers Union

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

same goofy crowd that drives all this global warming garbage
SHIRL

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

I am sure Al Franken did not want to see his uniform.
Sen Amy K

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2008

SHIRL wrote:
I am sure Al Franken did not want to see his uniform.
I think Al Franken wanted to see "gay pride" T-shirt.
JTY

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2008

Going into the army he should understand the importance of discipline, conduct, and appearance. When I graduated HS we were told what kind of shoes, pants, and shirts were allowed under our gowns. I just don't see this as anti-army as much as pro school (as the article says).
Sen Amy K

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2008

JTY wrote:
Going into the army he should understand the importance of discipline, conduct, and appearance. When I graduated HS we were told what kind of shoes, pants, and shirts were allowed under our gowns. I just don't see this as anti-army as much as pro school (as the article says).
Whatever happened to tolerance?
Marine from Marine

Marine On Saint Croix, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2008

I understand the pride this new Marine is feeling, however I see no disrespect for him not being allowed to where his uniform. If I am correct, he could not wear a cap and gown OVER his military uniform either. Be proud, wear the uniform after the graduation ceremony and try not to steal the thunder from other graduates at the ceremony. Semper Fi.
JTY

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2008

Sen Amy K wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever happened to tolerance?
Tolerance for?
Madman

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2008

wellstonevoter wrote:
Good!
The kids shouldn't be exposed to the racist fascism that is Bush-AmeriKKKa. Thank the NEA our publicly-funded schools aren't parading these psychopathic killers in front of little kids at taxpayer expense.
The most damaging example of what it is to be a "man" is to show little kids some psycho from the military.
No female military-psycho-killers either, it's time the kids learn a new paradigm.
Military-people perpetuate fascism and racism and damage young minds, they need to be taught conflict-resolution without violence with a healthy dose of compromise and sometimes defeat.
Thank god these psychos are being kept from polluting young minds.
This is for everyone who used someone else's name when posting: CUT IT OUT!!!!! It is annoying-to-sickening to read goofy rants in the name of a public figure that couldn't be more opposite of what they stand for! If you didn't like Paul Wellstone -- fine. Denounce Paul Wellstone from the rooftops if you want to -- blast his votes, his bills, his politics all that you want. That is not only free speech, it is honest speech. To put his name to your screed is an abuse of free speech, and is totally dishonest.

Imagine an ad blasting Al Franken, featuring Norm Coleman, and at the end Coleman announces: I'm Al Franken, and I approved this message." That is no more screamingly dishonest than what you and your ilk are doing. This goes for you, too, "Amy K."
Sarah

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2008

Marine from Marine wrote:
I understand the pride this new Marine is feeling, however I see no disrespect for him not being allowed to where his uniform. If I am correct, he could not wear a cap and gown OVER his military uniform either. Be proud, wear the uniform after the graduation ceremony and try not to steal the thunder from other graduates at the ceremony. Semper Fi.
Ah, thank you. Now that you brought it up I realize that wearing a cap and gown over his uniform would probably be against Marine regulations. And you're right, he should not be stealing attention from his fellow classmates (although I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was thinking only of how proud and pleased he is to be a Marine and not of taking attention away from others).

There will be plenty of times for him to wear his uniform proudly. Let him for now simply be a graduating high school student along with his classmates.
Friend of Daniels father

Eau Claire, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2008

I'm a friend of Daniel's father and he'd probably be upset if he knew I shared this anonymous email he received from a person who talked to a member of the Bloomer School Board after the meeting. As I've been able to gather, Bloomer High School never had a written policy until Daniel's father questioned it. The following is the anonymous email that Daniel's father received:
"I called XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX, a member of the school board. It seems they really had a hard time deciding what to do. They contacted the Marine recruiter here in town, the local American Legion, and come to find out, there was an incident in Black River Falls some time ago that a student wanted to wear his Indian Headdress to receive his diploma and was denied.
I know you did your best, but now that I hear the "board" dilemma, they were really not ready for the backlash they got, but seems they really tried to be fair. If the American Legion would have said "let him wear his uniform", they would have, but they did not say that. If the Marine recruiter in Eau Claire would have said yes, they would have, but the recruiter's response was: "well, the Marines believe in uniformity, but wouldn't commit one way or the other. It certainly all fell in the "boards" lap.
The cowbell, whistles, noisemakers etc, also shocked me. Aline says it has gotten so out of hand there had to be a stop put to that too. What about the next student's name that is obliterated because mom and dad couldn't hear his name for the noise the parents of the previous student made? Why deface the caps? Why dress so shoddy under that cap and gown? Why don't kids have any respect anymore, not even for themselves? I think the school board of every city in the country has their hands full and thank God they have the perseverance to stay on it and see to it that there is some sort of balance in the system."
In talking with Daniel's father, he feels that the school board has used him as scapegoat for a graduation ceremony that has gotten out of control, and they needed to do something about it. He fears that veterans will picket the graduation ceremony and probably quite a bit of press coverage will be there on May 31st. Where he wouldn't like to see it happen, he feels the school board deserves any negative coverage they get. He said that schools as close as 15 miles away, a student wearing a military uniform isn't a problem and actually added class to the ceremony. Daniel's father said his son's request was simple. He simply wanted to walk across the stage to get his uniform in his dress blues. Daniel's father is extremely upset that the school board has used this request to get an out-of-control graduation ceremony under control. I get the impression from Daniel's father that if he is approached by the press for comment again on this issue that he'll let them know of the anonymous email he received and the duress it has caused him and his family.
Ack Acka Dack

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2008

How many female Muslim students were allowed to wear traditional Muslim attire complete with their face covered during graduation? Does anybody know the actual numbers?
NamVet

Cottage Grove, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2008

Marine from Marine wrote:
I agree, wear the cap and gown with your classmates.
Wear your uniform with your brothers in arms.
Semper Fi do or die.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 36 of36
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bloomer Discussions

Search the Bloomer Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
WI Who do you support for Governor in Wisconsin in... (Oct '10) 4 hr Barlow 6,986
WI Wisconsin Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Mon selfridge 451
Debate: Marijuana - Chippewa Falls, WI (Sep '10) Jul 19 Non Marijuana User 32
Walker caught by his own email. Jun 26 WTW 2
WI Who do you support for Attorney General in Wisc... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Judge 88
Is Ron Johnson for real? He is above the law. Jun '14 Misanthropic Humanitarian 2
Girl shaves head for pal, breaks school dress code May '14 Jaimie 9
•••
•••
•••
•••

Bloomer Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bloomer People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE