Wis. school board: New Marine can't w...

Wis. school board: New Marine can't wear his uniform for gradua...

There are 36 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 13, 2008, titled Wis. school board: New Marine can't wear his uniform for gradua.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A new Marine who's graduating from Bloomer High School this month won't be able to wear his military uniform during the commencement ceremony.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Graycrab

Vancouver, WA

#1 May 13, 2008
Why would he want to wear something different than what his classmates are wearing? This is a GRADUATION ceremony and the proper dress for those graduating is a cap and gown!
Myself

United States

#2 May 13, 2008
Graycrab wrote:
Why would he want to wear something different than what his classmates are wearing? This is a GRADUATION ceremony and the proper dress for those graduating is a cap and gown!
forgive the kid for taking pride in choosing to serve his country. I mean, my goodness, the tradition of a cap and gown is SOOOOOOO MUCH more important than paying respect to those who willingly choose to protect and serve our country. Especially a kid who completed his school work in time to complete basic training before graduation. The gaul that he would even think of breaking the cap/gown tradition.

This is sad and sickening.
H Smith

Chippewa Falls, WI

#3 May 13, 2008
Myself wrote:
<quoted text>
forgive the kid for taking pride in choosing to serve his country. I mean, my goodness, the tradition of a cap and gown is SOOOOOOO MUCH more important than paying respect to those who willingly choose to protect and serve our country. Especially a kid who completed his school work in time to complete basic training before graduation. The gaul that he would even think of breaking the cap/gown tradition.
This is sad and sickening.
I agree. Where is the patriotic pride that built this nation gone?
Al Frankenfurter

Monroe, LA

#4 May 13, 2008
H Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Over in Iraq and Afghanistan .
Midwest or California

United States

#5 May 13, 2008
Sounds like a school board in Berkley, Calf not a town in the Midwest. It is sad they won't allow him to wear the uniform he worked so hard for and is rightfully proud of. Shame on them! If our school board in southern Alabama did such an unpatrotic deed I would be at their next board meeting.
johnny

Minneapolis, MN

#6 May 13, 2008
wow- they passed it monday night knowing he was comming in, and then say they were not unpatiotic? more like "idiotic " yep- shows how much they love him and the Servicemen/ Servicewomen...way to go Wisconsin...i always knew you guys will come up with dumb things to do....beside doing your job...
wellstonevoter

United States

#8 May 13, 2008
Good!
The kids shouldn't be exposed to the racist fascism that is Bush-AmeriKKKa. Thank the NEA our publicly-funded schools aren't parading these psychopathic killers in front of little kids at taxpayer expense.
The most damaging example of what it is to be a "man" is to show little kids some psycho from the military.
No female military-psycho-killers either, it's time the kids learn a new paradigm.
Military-people perpetuate fascism and racism and damage young minds, they need to be taught conflict-resolution without violence with a healthy dose of compromise and sometimes defeat.
Thank god these psychos are being kept from polluting young minds.
Goodstuff

Plymouth, MN

#9 May 13, 2008
Let me see. No one has ever heard of "Dress Codes"? This is an event, sponsored by the school, attending is a priviledge, not a right. However, the school could have honored his request,as there was no rule against it at the time of his request, and made public that any future requests of this type would not be accepted.
slah

Maple Grove, MN

#10 May 13, 2008
H Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
It's been transformed into empty propaganda in the form of lapel pins, cheap plastic flags, and magnetic ribbons.
slah

Maple Grove, MN

#11 May 13, 2008
Bloomer went 53/47 for Bush in 2004.
Midwest or California wrote:
Sounds like a school board in Berkley, Calf not a town in the Midwest. It is sad they won't allow him to wear the uniform he worked so hard for and is rightfully proud of. Shame on them! If our school board in southern Alabama did such an unpatrotic deed I would be at their next board meeting.
A citizen

Dayton, MN

#16 May 14, 2008
Be interesting to see if a muslim gets to wear a burqa, a religious symbol.
Particularly in light of the fact the wearing of crosses are frowned upon and banned.

Since: Jan 08

Capron, IL

#18 May 14, 2008
Remember folks: A comment that offends you is not the same as a comment that violates our terms of service.

Disagreements happen frequently and that's a part of being here.

Threatening, racist, obscene and off-topic posts are what we take down if flagged.
Holy Cripe

Capron, IL

#19 May 14, 2008
A citizen wrote:
Be interesting to see if a muslim gets to wear a burqa, a religious symbol.
Particularly in light of the fact the wearing of crosses are frowned upon and banned.
There are muslims in Wisconsin? Eeeek, they are on our doorstep! Soon they'll be getting jobs as school teachers and putting burkas on our pre-schoolers.

Middle class Republicans will be eating it up, too. After all -- they're the rocket scientists that looked at a Bush's plans to ruin schools and give money to the rich and said "there's a guy I'd like to have a beer with - I'll vote for him."

His ideas hurt me in the short run, but I like to vote my aspirations -- and I want the easy life when I finally win the lotto or get promoted to shift supervisor at the burger hut.
zeronine

Rochester, MN

#20 May 14, 2008
Goodstuff wrote:
Let me see. No one has ever heard of "Dress Codes"? This is an event, sponsored by the school, attending is a priviledge, not a right. However, the school could have honored his request,as there was no rule against it at the time of his request, and made public that any future requests of this type would not be accepted.
Exactly! While I commend this kid on deciding to join the Marines, and admire the commitment and discipline he must have, he should be well aware of what a dress code is. He wouldn't wear the wrong uniform to a Marine function, and this is no different. There is a uniform at functions like this to pay homage to tradition, and also to keep people from trying to draw attention to themselves. While there is nothing wrong about his Marine uniform, it does single him out in a function where he should be sharing solidarity with his fellow students.
Retired Military

San Antonio, TX

#21 May 15, 2008
zeronine: Spot on.

The school is 100% correct. The Graduation Ceremony is a celebration of finishing High School and moving on with your life. The cap, gown and tassel are not just a “uniform” or dress code, they are symbols of that achievement, symbols which have a long history and are part and parcel of that ceremony. When he steps up to receive his diploma, he is supposed to shift the tassel position on the mortarboard, a symbol of completing that rite of passage. The school even recognizes his endeavor and encourages him to wear his uniform at other graduation functions, just not the actual ceremony.

As a retired military officer who graduated from the Air Force Academy, and the Naval Postgraduate School (Masters), I certainly believe this kid should be proud of his achievement and lauded for volunteering to serve. But this is not the time/place for dress blues. Wear it, but put your cap and gown over it for the graduation ceremony. When you’ve tossed your mortarboard, take off the gown and wear your uniform proudly.

This is a matter of academic tradition, not anti-war or anti-Bush politics. For those who decry the "Last minute policy"... That was a result of knowing they had to make a decision regarding the request. It's not until someone wants to violate tradition that you have to make a rule to state what is common sense.
Andy

Minneapolis, MN

#22 May 15, 2008
wellstonevoter wrote:
Good!
The kids shouldn't be exposed to the racist fascism that is Bush-AmeriKKKa. Thank the NEA our publicly-funded schools aren't parading these psychopathic killers in front of little kids at taxpayer expense.
The most damaging example of what it is to be a "man" is to show little kids some psycho from the military.
No female military-psycho-killers either, it's time the kids learn a new paradigm.
Military-people perpetuate fascism and racism and damage young minds, they need to be taught conflict-resolution without violence with a healthy dose of compromise and sometimes defeat.
Thank god these psychos are being kept from polluting young minds.
I have a oneway ticket to France with your name on it. Actually, I've decided to use my foot.

The military is protecting your sorry ass.
Sen Amy K

United States

#23 May 15, 2008
And the liberal teachers claim they are sooo tolerate. Only if you say and do as they want.

Great job big teachers union.
Homer dont play that

Minneapolis, MN

#24 May 15, 2008
I find it odd, that the board made a last minute rule regarding this. Were it simply a case of abiding by a longstanding rule about what is and what is not allowed (which would have nothing whatsoever to do with anybody’s sense of patriotism), then that would be different. Why did this have to warrent a brand new rule?
oh boy

San Diego, CA

#25 May 15, 2008
Unbeliveable what is it going to hurt to let the young man wear his uniform????
Sarah

Minneapolis, MN

#26 May 15, 2008
Did they forbid him to wear the uniform at all or just when they're going up to receive the diploma?

Because I don't see why he can't wear his uniform under the cap and gown and then remove the cap and gown once the ceremony is over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bloomer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: K-9 Bath Plus (Aug '12) Nov '16 Terri 3
St. Herman's Hermitage? (Feb '06) Oct '16 Sully 8
Do u shop at Bridge stop in chetek if so read (Sep '16) Sep '16 crazim4 2
News Neighbors say Cobban Bridge replacement is necc... (Jun '16) Jun '16 MichaelDroste 1
Review: Tender Care Transport Inc (Aug '09) Jun '16 Let it Sink 29
Ted Cruz Exposed, watch the Video. then Vote (Apr '16) Apr '16 Vote For Trump 1
Cruz & Kasich Plan Huge Cuts to S.S. & Medicare (Mar '16) Mar '16 so you know 1

Bloomer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bloomer Mortgages