Residents out in the cold

Residents out in the cold

There are 10 comments on the WWLP Massachusetts story from Dec 12, 2008, titled Residents out in the cold. In it, WWLP Massachusetts reports that:

Residents living up in the hilltowns may be days away from power after an ice storm ravaged the upper elevations.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WWLP Massachusetts.

Emo

Williamsburg, MA

#1 Dec 13, 2008
Well I'll tell ya...Doug Emo is a drunk. All his money goes to booze. That is why he is not prepared. Get off the drink and buy a generator. Doug has lived in Blandford his entire life. How could he not be prepared? He can't even drive anymore because he drinks too much. Wake up doug...the all american boy as you say. Stop the boozin and grow up. You give Blandford people a bad name!
kayt

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Dec 13, 2008
Blandford is in a deep freeze. Rt. 23 heading to Otis, North Blandford Rd. and any of the side roads in betwen are areas that are completely devestated. Power lines and poles dropped to the ground from the weight of all the fallen trees. Not just one pole or one wire but entire streets taken out by fallen trees. Many of the trees that came down are mature growth with large root balls now up in the air. There was lightening on Thursday night too. The ice was falling and the trees just criss/crossed the road. Many homes have been hit. Power is still out. People are lining up with their gas tank, walking in on foot to the Mass Turnpike rest stop. Many roads are impassible. It is the worst we have ever seen it and we have been here over 20 years. The sides are the roads that have been cleared are filled with trees and branches. The Power Co. are out around the clock with rows and rows of trucks parked along sides of roads trying to errect rows of poles and lines. Blandford is in a deep freeze. If you don't have to drive there, DON'T.
tack

United States

#3 Dec 13, 2008
kayt wrote:
Blandford is in a deep freeze. Rt. 23 heading to Otis, North Blandford Rd. and any of the side roads in betwen are areas that are completely devestated. Power lines and poles dropped to the ground from the weight of all the fallen trees. Not just one pole or one wire but entire streets taken out by fallen trees. Many of the trees that came down are mature growth with large root balls now up in the air. There was lightening on Thursday night too. The ice was falling and the trees just criss/crossed the road. Many homes have been hit. Power is still out. People are lining up with their gas tank, walking in on foot to the Mass Turnpike rest stop. Many roads are impassible. It is the worst we have ever seen it and we have been here over 20 years. The sides are the roads that have been cleared are filled with trees and branches. The Power Co. are out around the clock with rows and rows of trucks parked along sides of roads trying to errect rows of poles and lines. Blandford is in a deep freeze. If you don't have to drive there, DON'T.
You wanted to live in the mts, so s t fu and deal with it.
Obvious

Fall River, MA

#4 Dec 13, 2008
Well tack may your city home be hit with a nice icy tree in the next storm so you can eat your words.
This was an elevational storm big deal. Kayt was just giving people the information that was not given in the story.
WornOut

United States

#5 Dec 13, 2008
Obvious wrote:
Well tack may your city home be hit with a nice icy tree in the next storm so you can eat your words.
This was an elevational storm big deal. Kayt was just giving people the information that was not given in the story.
I'm not stupid enough to live under a tree.
So is Kayt a parrott? If its in the story, we don't need conntry bumpkin blabber to tell us that.
kayt

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Dec 13, 2008
Maybe instead of being critical, you could do something positive and help us out. There are many trees that need to be cut and elderly transported to warm locations. An extra set of hands is always welcome after a storm and inspite of your negativity, we'd welcome you.
p.s. We don't live under a tree. Not sure why you made such a statement? We do, however, own much acreage that is forest land. And as any educated person would know, the purpose of a forum is for people to leave comments and first hand experience is always valuable. Happy Holidays!
jpinma

Springfield, MA

#7 Dec 13, 2008
ready or not here comes winter... we are New Englanders, we are ready for it, especially the local paid & volunteer safety people. This is my second evening manning an overnight shelter/warming station here locally, and so far is is quiet here. Last night, we had one lady come in for dinner and then go back to her house. Today, not even that so far. No worries, we are ready to help people if they need/want it. We've got a lot of neighbor helping neighbor up here. I'm hoping it's the same for you where ever you are...[if not, I'm sure there is someone like my crew, near you, ready for you if you need them. Cheers, ;-) JP
sue - blandford

Florence, MA

#13 Dec 17, 2008
I have read your posted comments, Its just before xmas, I have a family that I am trying to buy presents for and have a tree removal bill of $600 plus, a insurance deductable of over $500, for vehicles, and no power for over 5 days not to mention the out of pocket expenses. Who is happy? I am upset that I had to read this negative stuff here. I hope you all have a merry christmas and a happy new year. Hopefully you never have to face this stuff.(as obviously you don't see it as a big deal)

Since: Dec 08

USA

#14 Dec 17, 2008
I know that some of the hardest hit areas in Mass are also some of the most beautiful to live. Blandford, Otis, Worthington, etc.,
Best wishes to all without there...may you get restored as soon as possible
DeWe

Montgomery, AL

#15 Jan 4, 2009
Emo wrote:
Well I'll tell ya...Doug Emo is a drunk. All his money goes to booze. That is why he is not prepared. Get off the drink and buy a generator. Doug has lived in Blandford his entire life. How could he not be prepared? He can't even drive anymore because he drinks too much. Wake up doug...the all american boy as you say. Stop the boozin and grow up. You give Blandford people a bad name!
The good people of Blandford worked together and helped each other out in this difficult time. The town pulled together to help one another and showed what a great town it is. All you want to talk about is bad mouthing someone you don't know. What a coward.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blandford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charter Upgrading Internet, Cable in... Jul '16 Webster Fields 1
gay meet (Aug '15) Feb '16 wayne 4
News Pittsfield Mayor Linda Tyer to replace finance ... (Jan '16) Jan '16 the city I hate 1
News Voting in Boston municipal elections remains low (Nov '15) Nov '15 bozo 3341 1
News No trace of third Lewis Lent victim in Greenwat... (Jul '13) Sep '15 Concerned Citizen 34
News Statehouse photo exhibit to depict food insecur... (Sep '15) Sep '15 cops are liars an... 2
Review: Lindas River Cafe (May '15) May '15 sneezie 1

Blandford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blandford Mortgages