Santa Teresa properties top delinquen...

Santa Teresa properties top delinquent tax list

There are 20 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Mar 6, 2010, titled Santa Teresa properties top delinquent tax list. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

The top 10 delinquent property tax accounts by dollar amount in DoA a Ana County total about $1.3 million.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

NtT

Santa Fe, NM

#1 Mar 7, 2010
Wow...if I decided to somehow let my taxes go delinquent and managed to "owe" the kind of money some of these folks due I could be debt free and living large.

What a racket! How do I sign up?
(joking...I am a law abiding taxpayer - but this article makes me sick)
Why Is It

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Mar 7, 2010
Why is it that Dona Ana County even allows these accounts to go so far into arrearages? If this is the stupidest thing I've ever read. It not surprising either that we would see Philip Philippou or Blanco Development LLC on the list of delinquent accounts. No shame.
Mrs Blue

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Mar 7, 2010
What a joke and a shame! The Santa Teresa Country Club has a LONG history of being a delinquent taxpayer. Recently they failed their health department review. Mr. Collins, shut down your operation. You are a burden to the taxpayers and this has been a consistent behavior of your business operation. You have operated your club with arrogance for years. Now you can't even get taco night right. Can we say champagne taste on a kool-aid budget?

Part of the problem with our state's deficit is that we have a lot of people/businesses on taxpayer welfare. Taxpayer welfare meaning they are not paying their taxes yet they live off of all the public services that the average Joe New Mexican is forking out. People/businesses, if you are not paying your taxes....please pay YOUR fair share or get out of our state. Liens are public information and there are thousands of liens out there that show who is not paying their taxes. I hope more properties are repossessed and the taxpayers can recoop their welfare that they have extended to the delinquent taxpayers.
Mrs Blue

Las Cruces, NM

#4 Mar 7, 2010
Why Is It wrote:
Why is it that Dona Ana County even allows these accounts to go so far into arrearages? If this is the stupidest thing I've ever read. It not surprising either that we would see Philip Philippou or Blanco Development LLC on the list of delinquent accounts. No shame.
Good question.... Why? Because our government entities do not bite. Meaning...they have great statutes/laws on the books, but when it comes time to bite they will not bite hard. They just continue to nibble away until the mold on the cheese is so high we are left with stinky azz goop. It is called politics. You scratch my back and I will scratch your's. We have some wonderful laws in our state, however actually applying the law to the fullest extent is another thing. It would be nice if these businesses/people would just do the right thing and pay their dammmm bill.
Valley Native

Placitas, NM

#5 Mar 7, 2010
Good thing the city council in all there wisdom put a moratorium on construction in Phillippous developments, thus preventing sales and eventual payment of taxes. Way to go Sharron Thomas, you really showed him.
Are you kidding

Rio Rancho, NM

#6 Mar 7, 2010
The City let Philippou off the hook for finishing ALL of his subdivisions he did not complete. He is no longer required to finish anything, in any of his subdivisions....some subdivisions have serious very serious issues.....drainage issues, caved in roads, utility issues, no street lights, no mail boxes, ect ect.
Valley Native wrote:
Good thing the city council in all there wisdom put a moratorium on construction in Phillippous developments, thus preventing sales and eventual payment of taxes. Way to go Sharron Thomas, you really showed him.
Citizen

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Mar 7, 2010
Well, well! Not really a surprise that these businesses are delinquent. What is a surprise is how delinquent the county has been in recovering what is rightfully the property of the citizens. If these business owners easily cheat on the county, with the power and abilities it has, how much more do they cheat on others, such as their customers and most especially their employees. Thank you Oscar for the courage to speak out where other elected officials are probably afraid of these power brokers. The county should immediately refer these businesses to the Attorney General for a full investigation of the business practices in play. It is the responsibility of the county and state to protect the public in general, citizens as customers and again the employees of these businesses. What else is going on behind closed doors?
Why Is It

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Mar 7, 2010
Citizen wrote:
Well, well! Not really a surprise that these businesses are delinquent. What is a surprise is how delinquent the county has been in recovering what is rightfully the property of the citizens. If these business owners easily cheat on the county, with the power and abilities it has, how much more do they cheat on others, such as their customers and most especially their employees. Thank you Oscar for the courage to speak out where other elected officials are probably afraid of these power brokers. The county should immediately refer these businesses to the Attorney General for a full investigation of the business practices in play. It is the responsibility of the county and state to protect the public in general, citizens as customers and again the employees of these businesses. What else is going on behind closed doors?
You hit the nail on the head as to my bewilderment that the county has allowed the arrearages to continually grow without taking appropriate action. I agree with you re Oscar Butler taking a stand. The AGs office should have been investigating this long ago. I wonder how many people have been lining their pockets to look the other way...
Mrs Blue

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Mar 7, 2010
Unfortunately there is no way that the AG's office could investigate all of the businesses that are behind on various types of taxes. There are so many businesses (and individuals) in our state that are behind on a variety of taxes that it is truly amazing and sickening. County lien records are public information sources. Again, we have great laws, but it is worthless if the powers that be do not bite. Last week Garduno's Restaurants (Albuquerque) announced that they filed for bankruptcy. They have a tax bill of almost $900,000. Again, more corporate welfare courtesy of Joe Taxpayer. It is time to start taking assets and enjoining businesses from continuing to operate. Time to quit supporting these businesses. If you belong to the Santa Teresa Country Club, you should leave them. Send them a message that you do not support their corrupt business.

“Your DQCC Limit is Maxed!”

Since: Sep 08

In Utero (originally)

#10 Mar 7, 2010
Why Is It wrote:
Why Is It wrote:
<quoted text>
You hit the nail on the head as to my bewilderment that the county has allowed the arrearages to continually grow without taking appropriate action. I agree with you re Oscar Butler taking a stand. The AGs office should have been investigating this long ago. I wonder how many people have been lining their pockets to look the other way...
I agree with you entirely on both your comments. Those two particular entities resonated most with me too,because of them being GCs. If NM Regulations & Licensing Dept.(specifically Construction Industries Division) were to make things a tad stricter by imposing sanctions against these GCs that don't remain current on federal & state taxes, workman's comp & liability insurance, unemployment & SSI, bond insurance, etc., then maybe the state and respective counties wouldn't be suffering such losses. Currently the GCs in NM pretty much call the shots, and it is not the case in CA Contractors Board which have better oversight.

You're correct too about the AGs office investigating the Dona Ana County Assessor's office for failure to be fulfilling their obligations and as to why? The small town mentality here and people getting paid to turn a blind eye is highly probable. It has occurred in the past and possibly still does. Hopefully Oscar Butler dropping the gauntlet is followed up by him by taking further up the chain of command. You listening Oscar? I do think you'd have plenty of taxpayer support. You & I both know that single families would never get away with extreme property tax arrearages without receiving a letter by the 2nd year of delinquency that their property would be auctioned. An inquiry by the AGs office is in order, as is an audit!!!

In Utero (originally)

#11 Mar 7, 2010
Specifically pertaining to the GCs, in CA if someone is not current with their required obligations to hold a GC license, your license is suspended until you get things resolved/paid and current. Bottom line is if you want to work and earn money as a GC, you have to pay the piper...otherwise, you don't work.
Why Is It

Las Cruces, NM

#12 Mar 7, 2010
Sarcastic Bombastic wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I agree with you entirely on both your comments. Those two particular entities resonated most with me too,because of them being GCs. If NM Regulations & Licensing Dept.(specifically Construction Industries Division) were to make things a tad stricter by imposing sanctions against these GCs that don't remain current on federal & state taxes, workman's comp & liability insurance, unemployment & SSI, bond insurance, etc., then maybe the state and respective counties wouldn't be suffering such losses. Currently the GCs in NM pretty much call the shots, and it is not the case in CA Contractors Board which have better oversight.
You're correct too about the AGs office investigating the Dona Ana County Assessor's office for failure to be fulfilling their obligations and as to why? The small town mentality here and people getting paid to turn a blind eye is highly probable. It has occurred in the past and possibly still does. Hopefully Oscar Butler dropping the gauntlet is followed up by him by taking further up the chain of command. You listening Oscar? I do think you'd have plenty of taxpayer support. You & I both know that single families would never get away with extreme property tax arrearages without receiving a letter by the 2nd year of delinquency that their property would be auctioned. An inquiry by the AGs office is in order, as is an audit!!!
You're correct in what I meant about the NMAG's office investigating DAC' property tax assessor's office/staff. I wasn't aware of how California handles general contractors affairs. It makes sense. Good luck trying to get NM to change how things have been done for so long.

In Utero (originally)

#13 Mar 7, 2010
I do believe that if these accounts are so delinquent, which they obviously are...the property associated with the accounts should be put up for auction. If it is good enough a practice to threaten families, then the businesses that are delinquent shouldn't be exempt.
LCsun

Las Cruces, NM

#14 Mar 7, 2010
can't be that hard to manage. Someone has to manage their employees and enforce policy and law. If they can't, get rid of them and hire someone who can. Treat it like a private business. Collect what's owed in a timely fashion, don't wait until your broke or have a crisis. This bsiness should be managed daily. This shouldn't happen period. Philippou just had to wave his wand to get something passed so he could start another project.
These culprits know they can get away with it and probably negotiate a lower amount. I hope the press stays right up their back pockets on this.

In Utero (originally)

#15 Mar 8, 2010
LCsun wrote:
can't be that hard to manage. Someone has to manage their employees and enforce policy and law. If they can't, get rid of them and hire someone who can. Treat it like a private business. Collect what's owed in a timely fashion, don't wait until your broke or have a crisis. This bsiness should be managed daily. This shouldn't happen period. Philippou just had to wave his wand to get something passed so he could start another project.
These culprits know they can get away with it and probably negotiate a lower amount. I hope the press stays right up their back pockets on this.
I agree with you--it isn't that difficult to oversee that size a staff; hence, it stands to reason there are some shady dealings going on. Smoke 'n mirrors is apparently part of the job description in that sector of the county government. Someone is making bank off these people not paying their accounts while escaping their property being ceased and auctioned to square away their delinquent accounts.
Full of poo

Edgewood, NM

#16 Mar 8, 2010
Are you kidding wrote:
The City let Philippou off the hook for finishing ALL of his subdivisions he did not complete. He is no longer required to finish anything, in any of his subdivisions....some subdivisions have serious very serious issues.....drainage issues, caved in roads, utility issues, no street lights, no mail boxes, ect ect.
<quoted text>
It is quite a scam that they let him off. Someone surely has some extra spending money because of it. Rest assured, old full-of-poo is on his way out in this town. He has no respect, is losing his clout, and has come to the end of his useful time. He is literally nothing and will hopefully move on soon. He can set up his scam business in another city.
Full of poo

Edgewood, NM

#17 Mar 8, 2010
Mrs Blue wrote:
What a joke and a shame! The Santa Teresa Country Club has a LONG history of being a delinquent taxpayer. Recently they failed their health department review. Mr. Collins, shut down your operation. You are a burden to the taxpayers and this has been a consistent behavior of your business operation. You have operated your club with arrogance for years. Now you can't even get taco night right. Can we say champagne taste on a kool-aid budget?
Part of the problem with our state's deficit is that we have a lot of people/businesses on taxpayer welfare. Taxpayer welfare meaning they are not paying their taxes yet they live off of all the public services that the average Joe New Mexican is forking out. People/businesses, if you are not paying your taxes....please pay YOUR fair share or get out of our state. Liens are public information and there are thousands of liens out there that show who is not paying their taxes. I hope more properties are repossessed and the taxpayers can recoop their welfare that they have extended to the delinquent taxpayers.
A scammer is a scammer is a scammer. Totally worthless and arrogant!
Taco Capt

Las Cruces, NM

#18 Mar 8, 2010
Dona Ana County Assessor's office needs a new direction. Why is it that all these rich folks get a pass but they kick little old ladies out of there property. The story that comes to mind is the great story the LCSN did about the 89 year old lady that they put here on the streets.
U R A m0r0n

Las Cruces, NM

#19 Mar 8, 2010
Taco Capt wrote:
Dona Ana County Assessor's office needs a new direction. Why is it that all these rich folks get a pass but they kick little old ladies out of there property. The story that comes to mind is the great story the LCSN did about the 89 year old lady that they put here on the streets.
Good point, but what 89 year old lady & when?

Off subject, what the heck is a "taco capt"?
lousy regulations

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Mar 9, 2010
The people on this list are always given building permits -even for projects they can not complete while destroying beautiful land. Why can't the Treasury Office just make them pay up on past taxes before issuing any new permits ? Do more research on gross receipts tax too. The local builders know that they can get away with it - and continue to do so - while our polititians continue to turn their backs.(Backs that must be getting "scratched")

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blanco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Navajo Nation Council votes to replace NHA Board Fri Spend stop return... 2
News New domestic violence hotline helps Native Amer... Apr 17 UrbanNDN 2
News Police substation opening on San Juan College c... Apr 12 safespacfercopz 1
News Noland agrees to return as interim CCSD leader (Aug '09) Apr 3 Loritagirl 46
News Mother, son who drowned were from Farmington (Jun '11) Mar '17 Saawya 38
Pelosi hypocritical? Mar '17 Anti-death panel 4
WTG San Juan Regional ER Mar '17 mercycustomernow 1

Blanco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blanco Mortgages