Navajo Prep expected to make coaching changes

Full story: Farmington Daily Times

FARMINGTON At the end of the school year, Navajo Prep asked every coach to reapply for their coaching position, and after a board meeting tonight at least a few new coaches are expected to be approved.
Comments
1 - 20 of 74 Comments Last updated Sep 18, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
exrefnglad2be

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Jun 17, 2011
if your last name is crisp or your a family member you should have no problem having a teaching position or coaching position at navajo prep. they need to get rid of the old witch ojaye, then it would be a pleasure to work at prep........
Jonny

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jun 17, 2011
Wish they'd give up football and go with wrestling. Football is not suited for us to dominate in. If we became known for cross country, track and wrestling as well as boys and girls and BB then we'd be respected a helluva lot more than doing "ok" in football. In wrestling, I bet NP would dominate! Besides, NP grads hava better chance at wrestling at a D-1 school than playing football there which is where alota these students go.

NP shoulda concentrated more on getting a Dean of Instruction when the last guy left back in October. they went a whole year without a Dean and the school suffered for it!
Watching U

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jun 17, 2011
Rob Adams built the girl's basketball program. The gym such be named ROB ADAMS... Betty does not seem to go in that direction due to her inability to make that announcement. Why? We know... Writing on the Wall for you Betty.
Funny

Fort Defiance, AZ

#4 Jun 17, 2011
Jonny wrote:
Wish they'd give up football and go with wrestling. Football is not suited for us to dominate in. If we became known for cross country, track and wrestling as well as boys and girls and BB then we'd be respected a helluva lot more than doing "ok" in football. In wrestling, I bet NP would dominate! Besides, NP grads hava better chance at wrestling at a D-1 school than playing football there which is where alota these students go.
NP shoulda concentrated more on getting a Dean of Instruction when the last guy left back in October. they went a whole year without a Dean and the school suffered for it!
Not every dude wants to roll around on the floor with another dude.
pickymenoze

Window Rock, AZ

#5 Jun 17, 2011
Is this story about the Crisp/OJaye clan? Does Rainy's "boy" also work there? When is Earl getting hired?
jensenmj

United States

#6 Jun 17, 2011
not cool....
prepkid2010

United States

#7 Jun 17, 2011
As a recent graduate of navajo preparatory. I have felt a lot of sexism at the school. The school has constantly favored the girls program more than the boys. Why? Just because they win and all. The boys should also get the same treatment as the girls. As betty ojaye said that the kidscan use the dorms in the offseason. That is a straight up lie. The boys have asked to use the dorms for practices but we end up getting the big NO. Saying their will be no RA's to watch over us or there is no money for that. What the AD has to realize is that the coaches have done their best to connect with the kids even though they are not employed at the school as a teacher. For example. Coach Guitterrez is am awesome coach. He always implies the kids for grade checks. When we went on over night trips he enforced study hall but he knew how to have fun with a limit to it. Mr pratt is an example also. He did not work at the school much but he got with the kids. He helped the girls a lot and he knows everyone there now. He also helps the boys when I was there. The cross country coaches are doing good also. They connect with the kids. If all this is about education then why not have the teachers get with the students. Most teachers leave after school anyways. The ones that stay behind are the ones that run study hall and run their g&t clubs. They should have the teachers care more also. Navajo prep coaches should not be punished as a real result of the staff doing their jobs there. The coaches are doing fine and I say keep the coaches. I also say BRING JODY CHRISTMAN BACK for boys basketball! He has been one of the best coaches there at prep besides coach adams and coach crisp!
prepkid2010

United States

#8 Jun 17, 2011
jensenmj wrote:
not cool....
Amen brotha!
jensenmj

United States

#9 Jun 17, 2011
yes, i agree with prepkid2010...keep all the coaches, be MORE involved with the BOYS PROGRAMS..actually give a damn
cam

Chandler, AZ

#10 Jun 17, 2011
New running coach would be good, we need lenny back! 2nd place at state isn't good enough. They need to stop switching coaches out though. For example we did have good freshman playing var bball but we had to trade for less talent seniors due to there complaints. That's messed up bcus we coulda had a chance at state!
bottom ash

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Jun 17, 2011
prepkid2010 wrote:
As a recent graduate of navajo preparatory. I have felt a lot of sexism at the school. The school has constantly favored the girls program more than the boys. Why? Just because they win and all. The boys should also get the same treatment as the girls. As betty ojaye said that the kidscan use the dorms in the offseason. That is a straight up lie. The boys have asked to use the dorms for practices but we end up getting the big NO. Saying their will be no RA's to watch over us or there is no money for that. What the AD has to realize is that the coaches have done their best to connect with the kids even though they are not employed at the school as a teacher. For example. Coach Guitterrez is am awesome coach. He always implies the kids for grade checks. When we went on over night trips he enforced study hall but he knew how to have fun with a limit to it. Mr pratt is an example also. He did not work at the school much but he got with the kids. He helped the girls a lot and he knows everyone there now. He also helps the boys when I was there. The cross country coaches are doing good also. They connect with the kids. If all this is about education then why not have the teachers get with the students. Most teachers leave after school anyways. The ones that stay behind are the ones that run study hall and run their g&t clubs. They should have the teachers care more also. Navajo prep coaches should not be punished as a real result of the staff doing their jobs there. The coaches are doing fine and I say keep the coaches. I also say BRING JODY CHRISTMAN BACK for boys basketball! He has been one of the best coaches there at prep besides coach adams and coach crisp!
Women are more dedicated than males, at that age. I used to see the Girl Crosscountry team used to run on the streets of F-TOWN before the Sun used to come up, even in the winter hours. That time they where a Force at the Crosscountry meets. I believe they won state during those years. Then it all stopped.
bottom ash

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jun 17, 2011
Watching U wrote:
Rob Adams built the girl's basketball program. The gym such be named ROB ADAMS... Betty does not seem to go in that direction due to her inability to make that announcement. Why? We know... Writing on the Wall for you Betty.
Adams was a good coach. He used to hang out with Jerry Richardson back in the 80's. Jerry Richardson was the coach for the Shiprock Chief girls team back when they won state at the Johnson Center in Albuquerque. But I don't agree the gym should be named after Adams. He had another side of him.
prepstdnt alumni

United States

#13 Jun 17, 2011
bottom ash wrote:
<quoted text>Women are more dedicated than males, at that age. I used to see the Girl Crosscountry team used to run on the streets of F-TOWN before the Sun used to come up, even in the winter hours. That time they where a Force at the Crosscountry meets. I believe they won state during those years. Then it all stopped.
ha sounds like someone that has no knowledge of what prep does. What satistics do you have to make that kind of statement "women are more dedicated than males?" That early run was called "new moon run", a traditon for the whole school even faculty for a VERY long time and still going. I ran among the student body there, there was always BOYS AND girls running EVERY time the event was put on.
Lenny esson was the coach at that time, he was a very good coach with his time with us, the boys and girls team. It just didn't stop there, athletes graduate,^^coaches get removed. You cant expect to be state champs again with a whole new coach with a different coaching program. For those who dont graduate, Its like having to get use to your boss then your boss getting replaced with another different boss and trying to get use to not having it the "same way".
p.s. State championships never will stop at prep.
User 1

United States

#14 Jun 17, 2011
Every few years Navajo Prep’s governing school board notches a golden arrow and tries to aim for a new direction. But unfortunately the arrow lands far off target. The reasoning behind this doesn’t always make sense. Please, a decisional smoke screen is usually used to mask internal personnel motivated issues. Coaches are generally very caring individuals who spend endless hours molding student athletes into productive members of a group (team). They do this at their own leisure. In my experience the only time problem arises is when a good coach questions the integrity of the AD and the administration. I see in the article that Mr. Tillman questions the coaching ability of a NMAA hall of fame coach. A NMAA bona -fided stadium named in his honor. Coach Gutierrez is not employed with NPS. I (an NPS parent) question Mr. Tillman what his material background consist of? NPS has come a long way. And many good people have help along the way. The Math teacher is a person that teaches math, science teacher, science. language teacher, language. Don’t fix what isn’t broken. NPS has achieved AYP for several years. When these types of decisions are made take time to consider the students. Don’t jeopardize the safety of the students….again!!!
bottom ash

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Jun 18, 2011
prepstdnt alumni wrote:
<quoted text>
ha sounds like someone that has no knowledge of what prep does. What satistics do you have to make that kind of statement "women are more dedicated than males?" That early run was called "new moon run", a traditon for the whole school even faculty for a VERY long time and still going. I ran among the student body there, there was always BOYS AND girls running EVERY time the event was put on.
Lenny esson was the coach at that time, he was a very good coach with his time with us, the boys and girls team. It just didn't stop there, athletes graduate,^^coaches get removed. You cant expect to be state champs again with a whole new coach with a different coaching program. For those who dont graduate, Its like having to get use to your boss then your boss getting replaced with another different boss and trying to get use to not having it the "same way".
p.s. State championships never will stop at prep.
No knowledge of what prep does. Tell me about when I had to pick up my Nephew one evening when that student hung herself. I think there where two deaths there at those dorms.
hustlin peanut

Mesa, AZ

#16 Jun 18, 2011
GUITERRIEZ has a field named after him :D GOD DAMN FIELD! keep the legend! he was a great couch! 2 winnin seasons not good enough?? I got much respect for him, BRING RENZO BACK!!!!!!!!:D
no name

Farmington, NM

#17 Jun 18, 2011
is it a conflict of interest if you have your family members working for/with you under an organization? if the board wants a change, then do it!
disgrutde eagle

Scottsdale, AZ

#18 Jun 18, 2011
peeshh LETS GET REAL THAN!!
Duffus- Basketball
Mamma strong :)- Football
Quimby- XC
Joe- Volleyball
If they wanna get the "ultimate" relationship to student to coach
Mr.hall- Football
Priscilla- basketball
VIRGINIA :)- Volleyball
better yet! Fill in the blanks?!
Edison wauneka-_________
Elroy watson-_________
Betty ojaye-_________
Jennifer Laughter-_________
Charley long Sr.-________
No disrespect to the individuals, especially the teachers. All great teachers :) strong relationship with students. AYP for +yearS.
bottomash is bologona

United States

#19 Jun 18, 2011
bottom ash wrote:
<quoted text>No knowledge of what prep does. Tell me about when I had to pick up my Nephew one evening when that student hung herself. I think there where two deaths there at those dorms.
The mentioning of the hangings that has no relation to this article is disrespect to their families. Which also proves, once again, you have no knowlegde about the Prep community other than having to pick-up a nephew. Any further comments or input should be cease and no longer welcome in respects of Prep parents and Alumni
4cnative

Rio Rancho, NM

#20 Jun 19, 2011
Just another plot to get BOjaye family and inlaws into the school. As long a Ms. Ojaye is in charge nothing will change, she circumvents policy and fairness to get her way. Just ask all the administrators who resigned in the last year(complete turn over) if they are willing to tell the truth. Coach Guiterrez is a proven coach, he has had winning programs every year he was head coach at Prep, why change what is working?, his assistant needs to be replaced, he was not there when he was needed most(regardless of excuse), at the Dulce game, and is absent too many other times in his coaching positons. I commend her for rebuilding the campus, now it is time to step aside and bring in fresh new leadership.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blanco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
San Juan County workforce shrinks 9 hr XandO 1
Protesters raise awareness about deportation, t... Sun Latinos are the p... 4
Barack Obama COUNTDOWN Clock 1000 days left & c... Sat Bary Sotero 187
Costs of coal power plant proposal challenged Aug 30 Solarman 1
State turns down appeals from districts on grades Aug 30 Educated 1
Bloomfield woman behind Ten Commandments monume... Aug 29 weez 1
FBI identifies human remains found on Navajo Na... Aug 29 Dirk Diggler 3
•••
•••
•••

Blanco Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Blanco People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Blanco News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Blanco
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••