How do we protect kids in school?

How do we protect kids in school?

There are 6103 comments on the Ruidoso News story from Jan 8, 2013, titled How do we protect kids in school?. In it, Ruidoso News reports that:

During a newsroom discussion about guns about a decade ago, a woman piped up: "I don't understand what the big deal is.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ruidoso News.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#2280 May 3, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not say you were responsible for the "negligence" of the parents/guardians of theses kids. What I cannot support, is your "fighting to death" the RIGHT of these idiots to be able to purchase MORE GUNS, even as we speak, without ANY restrictions or even background checks. I believe they should be charged with child abuse resulting in death, similiar to a DWI related death. I'm sure they are at a gun show at his moment.
I believe they should be charged with criminal negligence at the very least. But I still don't see what that has to do with restricting MY rights and freedoms. We already have laws that cover what happened, why would you even think that legislating new ones against law abiding people who practice normal safety proceedures and avoid "accidents" like this will help stop a few individuals from being fatally stupid?
Get Out

Jacksonville, NC

#2281 May 4, 2013
Train and arm school faculty and staff to respond to an active shooter now. Current gun ban legislation doesn’t solve the immediate threat of someone walking into another GUN FREE ZONE again.

Before someone asks how to pay for training, weapons and ammunition is to up the sales tax by a ¼ cent.
xando

United States

#2282 May 4, 2013
There were more school shootings before "Gun Free Zones."
Get Out wrote:
Train and arm school faculty and staff to respond to an active shooter now. Current gun ban legislation doesn’t solve the immediate threat of someone walking into another GUN FREE ZONE again.
Before someone asks how to pay for training, weapons and ammunition is to up the sales tax by a ¼ cent.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#2283 May 4, 2013
Get Out wrote:
Why not train school staff to be firefighters and EMTs ?

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#2284 May 4, 2013
xando wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof???
downhill246

Pompano Beach, FL

#2285 May 4, 2013
xando wrote:
<quoted text>
Rather misleading,no? Even if you are correct, and you posted no link to support your claim, the fact remains that the nation was created 226 years ago and the Gun Free Zones Act only 18 years ago or a mere 8% of the total time the nation has existed.
factologist

Huntsville, AL

#2286 May 4, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Rather misleading,no? Even if you are correct, and you posted no link to support your claim, the fact remains that the nation was created 226 years ago and the Gun Free Zones Act only 18 years ago or a mere 8% of the total time the nation has existed.
I wonder how the stats work out with ARs?
xando

United States

#2287 May 4, 2013
A history of school shootings in the US:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school...

Some see a correlation between the frequency of school shootings--and all gun violence--and the number of guns along with the ease with which they are obtained.

More people in the US own more guns than ever, and this number increases yearly.
factologist

Huntsville, AL

#2288 May 4, 2013
xando wrote:
A history of school shootings in the US:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school...
Some see a correlation between the frequency of school shootings--and all gun violence--and the number of guns along with the ease with which they are obtained.
More people in the US own more guns than ever, and this number increases yearly.
Standing ovation!
xando

United States

#2289 May 4, 2013
factologist wrote:
<quoted text>Standing ovation!
Thank you, facto.:)

These extremists merely repeat what appeals to them, never reasoning from another perspective. It seems reasonable (and stats back this up) that the more guns, the more gun shootings, especially as easy as it is to access all kinds of firearms.
downhill246

Pompano Beach, FL

#2290 May 4, 2013
factologist wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder how the stats work out with ARs?
Good question.

California School District Purchases AR-15s to Protect Students

http://www.guns.com/2013/01/26/california-sch...
downhill246

Pompano Beach, FL

#2291 May 4, 2013
xando wrote:
<quoted text>
These extremists merely repeat what appeals to them, never reasoning from another perspective. It seems reasonable (and stats back this up) that the more guns, the more gun shootings, especially as easy as it is to access all kinds of firearms.
Kind of like when there are more buffaloes, there will be more buffalo turd.

Police One Survey
March,2013

5. What effect do you think a federal ban on manufacture and sale of some semi-automatic firearms, termed by some as "assault weapons," would have on reducing violent crime?

Significant 1.6% 227
Moderate 6.0% 885
None 71.0% 10,397
Negative 20.5% 3,004
Unsure 0.9% 129
answered question 14,642

So 91% of law enforcement officers that responded said a ban on assault style weapons would have no effect or a negative effect on reducing violent crime.
Yes

Huntsville, AL

#2292 May 4, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>

Kind of like when there are more buffaloes, there will be more buffalo turd.
just like any unscientific topix or fox poll from a self selected audience with preconceived attitudes.
Not

Huntsville, AL

#2293 May 4, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good question.
California School District Purchases AR-15s
representative of the good people of California and an idiotic lesson for the kids. Since the steel plant closed, Fontana has gone way downhill.
More

Huntsville, AL

#2294 May 4, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
BS. Most aspects of daily life were de facto gun free zones until the gun nuts had to be instructed in what had always been obvious to decent people.
xando

United States

#2295 May 4, 2013
[QUOTE who="downhill2]
So 91% of law enforcement officers that responded said a ban on assault style weapons would have no effect or a negative effect on reducing violent crime.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's nice that law enforcement has an OPINION. I wonder if that means they would like to see more people having assault weapons. I'm sure they would.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#2296 May 5, 2013
xando wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's nice that law enforcement has an OPINION. I wonder if that means they would like to see more people having assault weapons. I'm sure they would.
No Xandope, that means they know a ban would have no effect on the criminal element. People who ignore the law NOW aren't going to suddenly become pillars of society after you give them a new law to ignore.

Southeast Virginia

#2297 May 5, 2013
xando wrote:
<quoted text>
And even with the huge increase in firearm ownership(especially over the last 5 years), the total number of murders by firearms has DECREASED every year going back even farther than that. How can that be if guns are the problem?

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in...

Southeast Virginia

#2298 May 5, 2013
Not wrote:
<quoted text>
representative of the good people of California and an idiotic lesson for the kids. Since the steel plant closed, Fontana has gone way downhill.
Which would lead one to believe that economic factors have more to do with the rate of violence for any given area than the availability of firearms.

Southeast Virginia

#2299 May 5, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>No Xandope, that means they know a ban would have no effect on the criminal element. People who ignore the law NOW aren't going to suddenly become pillars of society after you give them a new law to ignore.
EXACTLY !!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blanco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 21 hr Wake Up Call 6,902
Worse place I've ever lived (May '15) Aug 21 Guyedghi 63
Barack Obama COUNTDOWN Clock 1000 days left & c... (Apr '14) Aug 20 Skitedvju 627
News Bloomfield looks for ways to diversify economy Aug 14 Andrea 15
News Identity Inc. presents anti-hate crimes rally Aug 12 standings 2
News New detox center to open in Farmington Aug 9 Remi 8
Random Acts of Kindness (Jun '09) Jul 31 Trigger 4,951

Blanco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blanco Mortgages