Farmington leads US in percentage of mobile homes

May 14, 2013 Full story: Alamogordo Daily News 148

The Census Bureau reports that northwestern New Mexico's Farmington area along with two areas of western Arizona lead the nation in having the largest proportions of mobile homes in their housing inventories.

Full Story
Obvious

Albuquerque, NM

#21 May 15, 2013
Plain obvious of decades of "Texas intrusion" into the oil fields and wells.

These days though they're not called 'trailers' anymore but rather modular homes.
But

Albuquerque, NM

#22 May 15, 2013
Obvious wrote:
Plain obvious of decades of "Texas intrusion" into the oil fields and wells.
These days though they're not called 'trailers' anymore but rather modular homes.
still infested with trailer trash.
similar

Santa Fe, NM

#23 May 15, 2013
Obvious wrote:
Plain obvious of decades of "Texas intrusion" into the oil fields and wells.
These days though they're not called 'trailers' anymore but rather modular homes.
to calling McDonalds a restaurant.
Yes

Santa Fe, NM

#24 May 15, 2013
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you need government to tell you how to live?
we know you think you exist in your own world and are not part of a community

Will you be graduating from middle school this year or next? Or will you be held back because of emotional immaturity?
Harry A Knuckle

United States

#25 May 15, 2013
Yes wrote:
<quoted text>
we know you think you exist in your own world and are not part of a community
Will you be graduating from middle school this year or next? Or will you be held back because of emotional immaturity?
School!? Community!? How dare you? Those are the episiotomy of socialism, patooey!
Airport Mike

Albuquerque, NM

#26 May 15, 2013
Part of the problem is the Building Dept. They don't know anything but Mobile Homes and Easy Shades. They wont issue a permit for anything else to a home owner. By the time you do the math on a project it's clear you have two choices; a Mobile Home with an Easy Shade or hire a "friend of the Building Dept" contractor. I'd love to have a real house rather than my mobile up on the hill, but its just does not make economic sense to build. If you do build, it will be very expensive and what do you end up with? A nice house surrounded by Mobiles and Easy Shades...wonder how the kickbacks work?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#27 May 15, 2013
Obvious wrote:
Plain obvious of decades of "Texas intrusion" into the oil fields and wells.
These days though they're not called 'trailers' anymore but rather modular homes.
These days it's the other way around. New Mexicans (including some who were born here) who want good paying oil and gas field jobs are moving out of New Mexico to places like Texas, the Dakotas, or back east to Pennsylvania or the Carolinas, because the anti oil and gas Democrats in the New Mexico legislature passed laws driving oil and gas jobs away.

The four corners is losing jobs, and businesses are struggling and failing, thanks to government.

And a lot of those "mobile homes" some like to look down on? Well, they're still here..but they are empty, boarded up, and surrounded by weeds.

Why should anyone put down roots or build expensive permanent homes when their jobs are so unstable thanks to the whims of politicians? If someone is going to be forced to leave their home to make a living somewhere else, its cheaper to just walk away from a mobile home.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#28 May 15, 2013
Yes wrote:
<quoted text>
we know you think you exist in your own world and are not part of a community
Will you be graduating from middle school this year or next? Or will you be held back because of emotional immaturity?
Why do you need to government to tell you how to live?
TheDinehFromDaRe z

United States

#29 May 16, 2013
Trailer trash= mobile homes=armpit smelling biligaanas with polluting oilfield jobs.
BiliganaProud

Rio Rancho, NM

#30 May 16, 2013
TheDinehFromDaRez wrote:
Trailer trash= mobile homes=armpit smelling biligaanas with polluting oilfield jobs.
At least we live in homes and HAVE jobs, rather than living in mud huts with beer cans strewn all over and no jobs. Want to see plenty of junk cars? Visit DaRez.
I know when I'm on DaRez by the glitter of broken beer bottles along the sides of the highway.
Seriously

Farmington, NM

#31 May 16, 2013
Race isn't the issue here people. Mobile homes aren't the issue either. You can live in a mobile home and still have your home look nice. The issue is people who live in any type of home but choose to let their home and property look like the county dump. Hell, the county dump looks better than about half the homes in the area! Peeling paint, trash, weeds, junk cars or running cars all stacked up in the front yard, kids toys thrown all over, dog poop, horse poop, "collections", whatever those are, unpainted fences, peeling shingles on the roofs, doors or screens hanging off them, unskirted mobile homes, steps going into the homes falling apart, dirt...no trees, lawn, plants except weeds or trash elm trees. I could go on and on but it wouldn't do any good. The people who live like that are nothing but lazy! I grew up poor but that didn't prevent us from cleaning! Cleaning costs nothing but people would rather sit on their asses and sunk down alcohol or do drugs while their kids grow up in a filthy dump. And the sad part, the kids grow up in filth, ignored like the parent or parents ignore their homes and then the kids become just like the parents and then the mess is continued with kids when they have their homes. That's the issue! Not mobile homes or race!
Or in

Santa Fe, NM

#32 May 16, 2013
Obvious wrote:
.
These days though they're not called 'trailers' anymore but rather modular homes.
Farmington "Palaces"
RezDineh

United States

#34 May 16, 2013
Longstreet wrote:
NM is also noted for it's nationally high rate
of drunken drivers. Hispanics.
not to mention pill popping(oxy,lortab, vicadin etc..) and meth abusing biligaanas. No wonder they live in crotch mesa(snicker..)
BiliganaProud

Albuquerque, NM

#35 May 16, 2013
RezDineh wrote:
<quoted text> not to mention pill popping(oxy,lortab, vicadin etc..) and meth abusing biligaanas. No wonder they live in crotch mesa(snicker..)
More RezDineh move to Crouch Mesa...because it's legal to buy and drink beer up there!
BiliganaProud

Albuquerque, NM

#36 May 16, 2013
Seriously wrote:
Race isn't the issue here people. Mobile homes aren't the issue either. You can live in a mobile home and still have your home look nice. The issue is people who live in any type of home but choose to let their home and property look like the county dump. Hell, the county dump looks better than about half the homes in the area! Peeling paint, trash, weeds, junk cars or running cars all stacked up in the front yard, kids toys thrown all over, dog poop, horse poop, "collections", whatever those are, unpainted fences, peeling shingles on the roofs, doors or screens hanging off them, unskirted mobile homes, steps going into the homes falling apart, dirt...no trees, lawn, plants except weeds or trash elm trees. I could go on and on but it wouldn't do any good. The people who live like that are nothing but lazy! I grew up poor but that didn't prevent us from cleaning! Cleaning costs nothing but people would rather sit on their asses and sunk down alcohol or do drugs while their kids grow up in a filthy dump. And the sad part, the kids grow up in filth, ignored like the parent or parents ignore their homes and then the kids become just like the parents and then the mess is continued with kids when they have their homes. That's the issue! Not mobile homes or race!
Sounds like you describe RezDineh houses. They are the biggest part of the county.
BiliganaProud

Albuquerque, NM

#37 May 16, 2013
And what do you got against Elm trees? They grow naturally, are acclimated to the area, and use little water. Perfect xerescape trees! County and state want zerescape, not lawn! Rocks and Elm trees are perfect zerescape!
You ever try to water a lawn when mezkins up the road are stealing your irrigation water? It costs a fortune to water with city water around here!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#38 May 16, 2013
This thread is really funny.

We know why there are trailers on the Rez because no one loans money for homes out there.

What are the others excuse for the Trailer Lifestyle.

And the because it is cheaper doesn't pan out. By the time you figure in depreciation of a trailer they become quite expensive to own, even if well cared for.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#39 May 16, 2013
I couldn't agree more.

Driving around the U.S., the contrast is clear and stark-- Farmington is extremely unattractive because of the junk and trash, not to mention the lack of planning.

Too bad, but it's just the mindset here.
Seriously wrote:
Race isn't the issue here people. Mobile homes aren't the issue either. You can live in a mobile home and still have your home look nice. The issue is people who live in any type of home but choose to let their home and property look like the county dump. Hell, the county dump looks better than about half the homes in the area! Peeling paint, trash, weeds, junk cars or running cars all stacked up in the front yard, kids toys thrown all over, dog poop, horse poop, "collections", whatever those are, unpainted fences, peeling shingles on the roofs, doors or screens hanging off them, unskirted mobile homes, steps going into the homes falling apart, dirt...no trees, lawn, plants except weeds or trash elm trees. I could go on and on but it wouldn't do any good. The people who live like that are nothing but lazy! I grew up poor but that didn't prevent us from cleaning! Cleaning costs nothing but people would rather sit on their asses and sunk down alcohol or do drugs while their kids grow up in a filthy dump. And the sad part, the kids grow up in filth, ignored like the parent or parents ignore their homes and then the kids become just like the parents and then the mess is continued with kids when they have their homes. That's the issue! Not mobile homes or race!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#41 May 17, 2013
x-and-o wrote:
I couldn't agree more.
Driving around the U.S., the contrast is clear and stark-- Farmington is extremely unattractive because of the junk and trash, not to mention the lack of planning.
Too bad, but it's just the mindset here.
<quoted text>
Some folks find the desert unattractive. That's the breaks. Don't live in desert.

As far as junk and trash, your perception is apparently skewed. While "driving around the U.S.", ever been to the "projects" in any major U.S. city? St. Louis? New Orleans? Los Angeles? Las Vegas, Nevada? Or to any run down commercial district, for that matter, in any of those cities? I find THEM extremely unattractive...but at least I admit that IS my perception, and I don't bag on them incessantly for it. I don't plan on moving there and changing things for them.

Basically, it's called "minding my own business".

I find Farmington, and the surrounding area, to be a very nice rural-type town, steeped in farming, ranching, railroad, and oil and gas history. The evidence is all around us. But some folks will just see junk, but if one is cognizant of history, one can see beyond that.

The most unattractive parts of Farmington, or any town, in my book, are the planned neighborhoods full of cookie-cutter stucco homes, where the houses are 10 feet apart, every third house looks the same, there are bars on all the windows, and you never see anyone outside enjoying the sunshine. But that's just me. People have the right to live that way if they so choose.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#42 May 17, 2013
I guess no one knows, so I'll ask again:

Why do you need government to tell you how to live?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blanco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kirtland Incorporation - Something Smells and i... 3 hr Whammer Jammer 2
Who still takes global warming seriously? (Jan '10) Mon Earthling-1 30,790
Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Sat justice is just a... 6,084
Barack Obama COUNTDOWN Clock 1000 days left & c... Oct 18 XandO 214
FPD Bored? Oct 15 MCMN 24
Farmington Police Department expects 5-year hig... Oct 14 Ted 2
Jordan Ray Thomas Miller (Nov '08) Oct 13 Ashley Schultz 9
Blanco Dating
Find my Match

Blanco Jobs

Blanco People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Blanco News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Blanco

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]