Saturday

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

After Christopher Dorner’s rampage, how to build community trust in police. An article written by a LA cop: By Sunil Dutta, Published: February 15 ~~ Sunil Dutta is an officer in the Los Angeles Police Department. The views expressed here do not represent the LAPD.
Christopher Dorner, the former L.A. police officer who died Tuesdayafter allegedly going on a murder spree, said racism was behind the Los Angeles Police Department’s decision to fire him in 2009, after he accused another cop of kicking a mentally ill man. In a perverted mission of vengeance, Dorner allegedly killed two civilians and two officers.
“I know I will be vilified by the LAPD and the media,” Dorner wrote in an online manifesto.“Unfortunately, this is a necessary evil that I do not enjoy but must partake and complete for substantial change to occur within the LAPD and reclaim my name.”
Given its history of scandal, the LAPD has spent a decade building a kinder, gentler organization and making significant strides in community-based policing. Even past detractors, including civil rights lawyer Connie Rice, admit that the LAPD has changed since the early 1990s. But people still associate the department with events of 20 years ago: the acquittal of officers accused of beating Rodney King, the subsequent L.A. riots and the resignation of Chief Daryl Gates.
The department’s problems aren’t all in the past, either: In November, a jury awarded former officer Pedro Torres $2.8 million after finding that officials retaliated when he verified claims about an allegedly racist supervisor. During the past decade, 17 officers have won million-dollar-plus verdicts in lawsuits claiming harassment, discrimination and retaliation. African American officers, including some supervisors I’ve spoken with, say in private that they don’t feel like they are part of the system and don’t trust it.
Indeed, some people even sympathize with Dorner, despite his unconscionable acts.“He’s been a real-life superhero to many people,” Columbia University professor Marc Lamont Hill told CNN.“People aren’t rooting for him to kill innocent people — they’re rooting for somebody who was wronged to get a kind of revenge against the system. It is almost like watching ‘Django Unchained’ in real life.”
Police Chief Charlie Beck said he would reopen the case that led to Dormer’s termination — not to appease an alleged murderer but to prevent the ghosts of the LAPD’s past from being resurrected.
While Beck made a wise move, it doesn’t go far enough to assure people of the LAPD’s integrity. We need to change the way complaints against police officers are adjudicated, putting investigative power in the hands of the people.
As long as police have existed, officers have been accused of racism, brutality and covering up for their friends. In the past, a lack of accountability often meant that police organizations did not pay serious attention to or even record citizen complaints. As a result, many citizens still don’t trust police departments to investigate their own. Similarly, officers do not trust internal affairs investigators or disciplinary processes.
I worked as an internal affairs investigator in the LAPD for about three years. When I visited police divisions to look into complaints against officers, I was usually greeted by the same question:“Who are you going to burn today?” Officers often believed that internal affairs was out to get them on flimsy charges.
At the same time, when I interviewed community members who had filed complaints against officers, I was disappointed to learn that, despite my reassurances and best efforts to conduct impartial inquiries, many complainants believed that a fair investigation was simply not possible. Nor do misconduct investigations satisfy a skeptical public. If an officer is exonerated, the community often believes that malfeasance is being covered up.
..........continued on in the next post....

xando

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Oh I dunno, in Farmington maybe they could be seen as PROTECTORS of the community rather than CRIMINALS in the community who harrass citizens on their way to work or school who may have gone two or five miles over the speed limit.

That would be a start.
Saturday

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

..........hmmm
Ray

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Not that easy there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Blanco Discussions

Search the Blanco Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
New upscale gym in Farmington prepares to open ... 16 hr XandO 4
Young male drowns in Farmington Lake (Aug '08) 16 hr Jami 31
Detox service could end at Four Winds Recovery ... Sun Native B o r n 4
Let's thank Obamacare Sun XandO 4
Skandera: CCSD School District Can’t Split (Jun '12) Sat NEA REJECTS n TRASH 36
Letter: Code Compliance (Not Really) Jul 26 XandO 1
Barack Obama COUNTDOWN Clock 1000 days left & c... Jul 26 Checkd out and ready 2 go 149
•••
•••
•••
•••

Blanco Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Blanco People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••