Jury clears Farmington, officer in Cl...

Jury clears Farmington, officer in Clint John's death

There are 567 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Jun 5, 2009, titled Jury clears Farmington, officer in Clint John's death. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

A federal district court jury after 15 hours of deliberation exonerated Farmington police Officer Shawn Scott on Friday from claims he used excessive force when he shot and killed Clint John in the Wal-Mart parking lot in June 2006.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 29
Next Last
fpd supporter

Chandler, AZ

#1 Jun 5, 2009
at last this case is over and officer scott will finally be able to put this behind him. He is an excellent officer!
Lobos09

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jun 5, 2009
Congrats to the Navajo nation for wasting 350k on this frivelous lawsuit by a few money hungry idiots playing the race card. That money should have went to your people and communities.
Justice was served on that fateful day when off Scott pulled the trigger and it was served again yesterday In court
tsk tsk tsk

United States

#3 Jun 5, 2009
BIG surprise...another Farmington police officer justified in the killing of another human being..i mean 3 shots to the chest, THEN one to the head...i think i need to change my career path so that i too can also shoot people get PROMOTED! and also crashed my bike on main street after having a few too many...and get away with it....
duh

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Jun 5, 2009
if it was about money the first settlement the city of farmington offered would have been taken by the john family.
LANDSHARK

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jun 6, 2009
duh wrote:
if it was about money the first settlement the city of farmington offered would have been taken by the john family.
Yeah right, all $20 grand? They wanted more, now they get nothing.
Unbiased

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Jun 6, 2009
What now wrote:
Clint john got what he deserved and his family and gf got what they deserved.... Nothing! Hahahahahah
You suck as bad as your Colorado Rockies!!!!!!
Oh Please

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Jun 6, 2009
tsk tsk tsk wrote:
BIG surprise...another Farmington police officer justified in the killing of another human being..i mean 3 shots to the chest, THEN one to the head...i think i need to change my career path so that i too can also shoot people get PROMOTED! and also crashed my bike on main street after having a few too many...and get away with it....
BIG SURPRISE....another idiot trying to make a worthless point. Killing of "Another" human being....I'm sorry...who and when were the other one's you are referring to? You make that career change and stand on the other side....let's see what you would do. It makes me sick to know there are people like you in this world!! The legal process and the jury did their job. Get over it!! BTW i'm sure you couldn't even pass the test to become a police officer....just a gut feeling.
mootacos

Santa Fe, NM

#10 Jun 6, 2009
Too bad the verdict didn't go towards the John family. But maybe now this will be a lesson to Farmington Police officers to think twice before shooting. Maybe the police department should invest in non-lethal force such as TASER GUNS!
My Two Cents Worth

Santa Fe, NM

#11 Jun 6, 2009
Wonderful news! What a complete relief! Perhaps all involved can get on with their lives now.
open your eyes

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jun 6, 2009
mootacos wrote:
Too bad the verdict didn't go towards the John family. But maybe now this will be a lesson to Farmington Police officers to think twice before shooting. Maybe the police department should invest in non-lethal force such as TASER GUNS!
Ummm....yeah...all FPD officers DO carry taser guns! And I'm sure they don't have time to "think twice" when deadly force is being thrust upon them. C'mon now.
AztecResident

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Jun 6, 2009
Taser's aren't necessarily non-lethal either. Google it and see how many deaths there have been using a taser. And in this situation Officer Scott shot 3 times and the guy kept advancing waving the baton. Do you really think a taser would have done any good?? Really?

Lobos09 is so right! The Nation spent so much on this frivolous case! But how much is really spent improving the lives of their people who really need it. Not near enough is done for their people but they spent all that money for this family. I think the Nation now needs to reprioritize things and if they want to help future "Clint John's" maybe look into this situation as a means to help other in domestic violence situations.
Puddles

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Jun 6, 2009
I hope Officer Scott can now put this behind him. When someone attacks a police officer he has every right to use deadly force.
flat broke

Santa Fe, NM

#18 Jun 6, 2009
Good verdict. All because John's girlfriend was truthful. Good for her! So Troy, you can;t use this case to spew your hate of this community. What nexxt? oh by the way, when are you printing the names you fought so hard to get?
nice

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Jun 6, 2009
congratulations officer scott for doing your job and hanging in there. i'm sure the last three years have been hell thinking about this and the stupid people that were nagging you about this. keep your head up and move forward.
curious

United States

#20 Jun 6, 2009
flat broke wrote:
Good verdict. All because John's girlfriend was truthful. Good for her! So Troy, you can;t use this case to spew your hate of this community. What nexxt? oh by the way, when are you printing the names you fought so hard to get?
Yes, after all this time I would have thought it would have been on the front page!
curious

United States

#22 Jun 6, 2009
Curious, is not from Denver but Farmington, NM.
Happy

Santa Fe, NM

#23 Jun 6, 2009
duh wrote:
Fantastic then, they got none and the tribe blew $350,000.00.
I guess the tribe won't need any more money from Santa Fe or Washington if they can afford to toss over a third of a million away.
Mr Giggles

Santa Fe, NM

#24 Jun 6, 2009
The jury would have returned sooner with the verdict, but out of respect for the John family, they wanted to stop laughing about how stupid the case was before they came back into the court room.

Don't take a bat to a gun fight.
FULL BLOODED INDIAN

Farmington, NM

#25 Jun 6, 2009
The Feder jury deliberated for (15) hours! The decision was right and just. The Farmington Daily Times continues to help keep the fires burning in the "feud" between the Navajo Nation and the Caucasion residents of this area. Shawn Scott is an honorable man as i believe most Farmington police officers are. I've seen professionalism in his conduct while on duty and trust that he will continue to do so. Clint John's actions was by no means in self defense. It was a choice Clint John made with no regard for his children, as now they will grow up without a father. Very sad! Shame on the Navajo Nation for the spending of the Nation's money on this lawsuit!!
FULL BLOODED INDIAN

Farmington, NM

#27 Jun 6, 2009
By the way... I am a Farminton resident and grew up here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 29
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blanco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ka-Boom! Police learn about explosives by deton... May 22 Tad Askew 2
News Planned Parenthood to close 3 clinics in northe... May 20 Army Vet 7
Barack Obama COUNTDOWN Clock 1000 days left & c... (Apr '14) May 16 U NO 727
News Young male drowns in Farmington Lake (Aug '08) May 7 Not from there 35
Navajo Nation Council votes to replace NHA Board May 5 Ray 3
News New domestic violence hotline helps Native Amer... Apr '17 UrbanNDN 2
News Police substation opening on San Juan College c... Apr '17 safespacfercopz 1

Blanco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blanco Mortgages