School supply lists are overkill

School supply lists are overkill

There are 153 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Aug 15, 2009, titled School supply lists are overkill. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

In the last week I have been hearing about these tremendous school supply lists that my co-workers have been receiving.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“The voices! The voices!”

Since: Jun 09

The outbacks of NM

#149 Aug 21, 2009
Over worked teacher wrote:
Just wait until your students get to FHS where SOME of the teachers give extra credit for supplies (tissue, reams of paper, paper towels) then the students whose parents have more can buy their grades. Wonder what State standard that meets??
I don't know about FHS but in my daughters algebra class she could gain extra credit by bringing in supplies. My daughter had missed alot of school (due to health issues) so I thought she really needs all the help she can get. I spent about $20 dollars on tissue, paper towels, etc my daughter earned 1 point. LOL serves me right.
Confused Parent

Albuquerque, NM

#150 Aug 21, 2009
Taxpayer Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Well there were 4 adults (including myself) there when one of the teachers pointed to the books on the shelf & made that comment. And no, the books were not on the computer.
As for suing: I believe in working for my money. Sue the school, nice! Another thing tax payers would have to pay for.
My kids books are on his computer. He didn't even need internet to get to his math book. He never had any books and he did his work on the computers.
FarmingtonObserv er

United States

#152 Aug 22, 2009
more coffee please wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about FHS but in my daughters algebra class she could gain extra credit by bringing in supplies. My daughter had missed alot of school (due to health issues) so I thought she really needs all the help she can get. I spent about $20 dollars on tissue, paper towels, etc my daughter earned 1 point. LOL serves me right.
So what you are saying is students can sluff off during the year and buy their passing grade by supplying miscellaneous supplies for their classroom? So is education being changed to life skills, shopping that is? lol

“The voices! The voices!”

Since: Jun 09

The outbacks of NM

#153 Aug 23, 2009
FarmingtonObserver wrote:
<quoted text>
So what you are saying is students can sluff off during the year and buy their passing grade by supplying miscellaneous supplies for their classroom? So is education being changed to life skills, shopping that is? lol
I don't know how much it would cost to actually make a difference in the grade. Do the math $20 = 1 point.... I am thinking the hospital bill was cheaper. LOL
TACHII NII

United States

#154 Aug 23, 2009
Moo wrote:
I looked at Bloomfield's district website and looked at each school's supply list. I didn't see any school that asked for 200 pencils per student. The letter said that the lists in question were at Blanco elementary and their list does not mention 200 pencils. I also looked at the lists for Aztec schools. The highest number of pencils on the supply lists was 48.
Maybe the author of the letter to the editor did not take into account sarcasm on the part of the mother. For example the mother may have said,"The list of supplies is so ridiculous that my second grader is supposed to bring 200 pencils and 8000 reams of paper. I can't afford that much!"
I think we shouldn't rip on the schools until the evidence is provided to show that they are asking for items like 200 pencils. The links for Aztec and Bloomfield's school supply lists are below.
Aztec lists
http://amsd-nm.schoolloop.com/cms/page_view...
Bloomfield lists
http://amsd-nm.schoolloop.com/cms/page_view...
Both link that you provided are for Aztec not Bloomfield. Both my kids go to Bloomfield after we purchased all of the items on the list, we were given another list on the first day of school from the teacher and was ask to buy more.
FarmingtonObserv er

United States

#155 Aug 23, 2009
TACHII NII wrote:
<quoted text>
Both link that you provided are for Aztec not Bloomfield. Both my kids go to Bloomfield after we purchased all of the items on the list, we were given another list on the first day of school from the teacher and was ask to buy more.
Greedy teachers probably requesting more supplies so they could send to school for their own children! lol
worker bee

Albuquerque, NM

#156 Aug 24, 2009
Saint_ wrote:
<quoted text>
And you should be DAMNED GLAD someone is willing to do it, otherwise you'd be unable to post here, and you'd be in a field picking fruit. Do everyone a favor...don't have children. I'd hate to be the teacher that had to deal with the sour, preprogrammed-with-hate offspring you'd have.
<quoted text>
Wouldn't you if you had a master's Degree and got paid what a McDonald's manager makes per year?
<quoted text>
Nor do they get paid for a full year. Teachers get paid for 9 months. Also, I don't know a single teacher that doesn't have to work a second job in the summer and usually moonlight during the school year just to feed their family.
It's a national disgrace.
<quoted text>
I'd like to see you survive a single day in a small room full of 182 children. You're selfish, whiney, negative personality wouldn't last an hour. Sadly, many of the older veteran teachers are retiring, and there is NO pool of younger teachers to take those places.
Most likely because of the ignorant, self-centered, and unsympathetic attitudes of people like you.
I'll say it again -- they chose the field.

Don't be such a hater.
charlotte

Tampa, FL

#157 Aug 25, 2009
I am sending my child to school for the first time, and I am really burden by the recession, in fact we lost pretty much everything even are car.

I spent our last dollars on school supplies only to find out that they arent just for my daughter but know they are class property( I put her name on every marker, pencil, glue "how dare they take my 5 year olds stuff"- Im really angry and I will never buy school supplies again. Its not my problem other parents shoes to spend thier money un wisely and im not about to pay for thier school supplies.

let the school buy them

“Let's go racing boys!!”

Since: Feb 09

Farmington

#158 Aug 26, 2009
Saint_ wrote:
<quoted text>
And you should be DAMNED GLAD someone is willing to do it, otherwise you'd be unable to post here, and you'd be in a field picking fruit. Do everyone a favor...don't have children. I'd hate to be the teacher that had to deal with the sour, preprogrammed-with-hate offspring you'd have.
<quoted text>
Wouldn't you if you had a master's Degree and got paid what a McDonald's manager makes per year?
<quoted text>
Nor do they get paid for a full year. Teachers get paid for 9 months. Also, I don't know a single teacher that doesn't have to work a second job in the summer and usually moonlight during the school year just to feed their family.
<quoted text>
I'd like to see you survive a single day in a small room full of 182 children. You're selfish, whiney, negative personality wouldn't last an hour. Sadly, many of the older veteran teachers are retiring, and there is NO pool of younger teachers to take those places.
Most likely because of the ignorant, self-centered, and unsympathetic attitudes of people like you.

Wow what classroom are you in that there are 182 students? Both of my children have less than 20 students in their classes. I totally agree that teachers should get paid more but over exaggerating just makes you sound like a fool
Shadow

Alamogordo, NM

#159 Aug 26, 2009
charlotte wrote:
I am sending my child to school for the first time, and I am really burden by the recession, in fact we lost pretty much everything even are car.
I spent our last dollars on school supplies only to find out that they arent just for my daughter but know they are class property( I put her name on every marker, pencil, glue "how dare they take my 5 year olds stuff"- Im really angry and I will never buy school supplies again. Its not my problem other parents shoes to spend thier money un wisely and im not about to pay for thier school supplies.
let the school buy them
In our school district, Pre-k through 2nd grade do not have desks in their classroom instead they use tables. As you may have guessed there is no place for the students to place their school supplies. Many teachers have containers where the students put their supplies together and use them together. I have two children of my own that I buy supplies for every year plus I buy supplies for my own classroom to help my students that where not able to bring in their own supplies. Times are tough and money is tight but as many of us know it takes a village to raise a child.

“"I'm worst at what I do best"”

Since: Jan 09

Farmington

#160 Aug 26, 2009
ShrubFan18 wrote:
Saint_ wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Wow what classroom are you in that there are 182 students? Both of my children have less than 20 students in their classes. I totally agree that teachers should get paid more but over exaggerating just makes you sound like a fool
That's in a day, hes a high school teacher I believe.

“"I'm worst at what I do best"”

Since: Jan 09

Farmington

#161 Aug 26, 2009
Shadow wrote:
<quoted text>
In our school district, Pre-k through 2nd grade do not have desks in their classroom instead they use tables. As you may have guessed there is no place for the students to place their school supplies. Many teachers have containers where the students put their supplies together and use them together. I have two children of my own that I buy supplies for every year plus I buy supplies for my own classroom to help my students that where not able to bring in their own supplies. Times are tough and money is tight but as many of us know it takes a village to raise a child.
I like that, very sound and caring advice, with a community benefit in mind.

“Let's go racing boys!!”

Since: Feb 09

Farmington

#162 Aug 26, 2009
thanks FHS that clears it up... LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blanco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 11 hr Gary J 6,405
Worse place I've ever lived Wed The Green Watch Dog 31
News Farmington Tea Party draws hundreds of protesters (Apr '09) Wed swedenforever 266
News Louis Joseph Fayad (Jan '09) May 26 Jlsf 5
News Who still takes global warming seriously? (Jan '10) May 24 IBdaMann 30,820
Barack Obama COUNTDOWN Clock 1000 days left & c... (Apr '14) May 23 XandO 433
Disabled Parking May 22 Leaving 2
More from around the web

Blanco People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]