School supply lists are overkill

In the last week I have been hearing about these tremendous school supply lists that my co-workers have been receiving. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
LANDSHARK

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Aug 16, 2009
This is just more of the same that's going on in everything you do now. Those who work are supposed to take care of those who are too lazy to work. I can see helping out children of either disabled parents or some single parents but I raised a child on one paycheck so why can't they? If you're healthy enough to get pregnant or donate the seed for a child, then you're healthy enough to support the resulting child.

“"I'm worst at what I do best"”

Since: Jan 09

Farmington

#2 Aug 16, 2009
LANDSHARK wrote:
This is just more of the same that's going on in everything you do now. Those who work are supposed to take care of those who are too lazy to work. I can see helping out children of either disabled parents or some single parents but I raised a child on one paycheck so why can't they? If you're healthy enough to get pregnant or donate the seed for a child, then you're healthy enough to support the resulting child.
I agree completely, kids show up with the response "We don't have the money" and yet they have the newest cellphone, the biggest iPod. It irks me.
Why pay taxes

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Aug 16, 2009
My two kids are from Farmington schools. I would tell the schools to go jump with the list today. It is a over kill, if they keep going you will have so send tip money too.May be that way they can hit $100,000 per.year,starting out, as they feel they need to get by on for going to school for 4years.Not how they do the job. If you go to a PTA meeting talking them down you WILL be asks not to come back. I know as they told me years ago.some of the kids not paying are big shots, like dr's, ect.
Jaine

Rio Rancho, NM

#4 Aug 16, 2009
on the school list we recieved every teacher wanted a box of tissues. granted they are a good thing to have, but doesn't it make more sense to bring one box then ask for more later on? they will need a warehouse to keep all the supplies they ask the parents to supply. I also agree with Fhs student 403. Good people are so taken advantage of by people who play the system for others to supply for those who do not wish to. I'm sick of it. people do nice things because they want to. others should not expect it!
mom of 2

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Aug 16, 2009
When I figured out that I was not only buying school supplies for my kids but for the rest of the class I started putting my kids names on everything. Don't bring all of those extra supplies. What are they going to do about it? It's not fair for us to have to buy school supplies for all the kids who's parents don't feel like buying them. I would just buy what I think is a fair amount for my child then if they need more later in the year, buy them as they need them.
mom of 2

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Aug 16, 2009
Also, it's so bad that when I went to wal-mart yesterday for my 7th graders school supply list, which they just handed out thursday, that wal-mart had absolutely no pencils whatsoever, except for mechanical pencils which the teachers don't want the kids to have for some reason. I had to go to wal-greens to get pencils and pencil sharpeners.
steve

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Aug 16, 2009
200 pencils per kid, wow, are they trying to get enough wood to build a new school?

Since: Jul 09

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Aug 16, 2009
COtrails wrote:
Guess what..many teachers including my wife spend $300 out of thier own pocket every year to make up for those that can't or won't help out.
Thats right. I know a few teachers, and they spend far to much of their own hard earned money on our kids school activity suplies, and more, for there teaching technique for our kids abilities. Don't think any school or gov. funding covers this, cause it don't. With times now hard for everyone, the teachers can't afford this anymore, and should'nt have to. When it comes to our little ones, who gives a sh it if we need to send a little extra to help another little one that is'nt old enough to do it for themselves. It sure is'nt the kids or the teachers fault that some parents can't provide.
Harvey

San Clemente, CA

#11 Aug 16, 2009
It's what the kid needs for a better education. GIVE!
From Kansas

Salina, KS

#12 Aug 16, 2009
I know some schools ask for way to many supplies. I've home educated for 15 years, I know it takes a lot of supplies. Public schools should have a standard child list, and leave the option open to donate for another child for those who can or will. Or better yet, the schools could order "school tool boxes" for each child out of their budgets. Disadvantaged children should not have to miss out on the excitment of getting new supplies, nor should they feel belittled that their families can't afford the proper supplies. This way everyone starts on a level playing field, and no one feels badly. In all honesty I think it's sad that buying extra pencils for a child who needs help being such a big deal to "grown ups". The school is not going to send the "supply police" if you don't buy 100 pencils like it says on the list. But the right thing to do if you can afford it is to get a whole set of supplies off the list and donate it to a teacher, she knows a child that can use it!

“Let's go racing boys!!”

Since: Feb 09

Farmington

#13 Aug 16, 2009
Oh My Holy Heck, I just got back getting school supplies for my 2nd grader and my 4th grader. My jaw hit the floor when the cashier told me my total was $101. Wow and I actually had to skip a few thing due to the store not having them in stock. This total scares me because I will be having 3 go to school next year. I am shocked at the amount we have to shell out. I am a single mother and it is hard enough to buy school supplies but now I have to worry about getting them new clothing too. THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME EITHER!!!!
LANDSHARK

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Aug 16, 2009
LOUD PIPES wrote:
<quoted text> Thats right. I know a few teachers, and they spend far to much of their own hard earned money on our kids school activity suplies, and more, for there teaching technique for our kids abilities. Don't think any school or gov. funding covers this, cause it don't. With times now hard for everyone, the teachers can't afford this anymore, and should'nt have to. When it comes to our little ones, who gives a sh it if we need to send a little extra to help another little one that is'nt old enough to do it for themselves. It sure is'nt the kids or the teachers fault that some parents can't provide.
It' not that some parents can't provide, it's they don't because they know we'll pick up the slack, as usual. Of course it's not the kids fault, it's the parents! They can't buy school supplies but they sure can buy booze, pot, meth and party while those of us who are responsible take care of their kids. I grew up in a large family and we were about as poor as you could get but I never saw anyone handing us anything. We got by, barely, on what we had and that was it. There wasn't any welfare, WIC, foodstamps etc. Of course I feel bad for the children but like I said before, if you can't support them, quit having them.
FarmingtonTeache r

United States

#15 Aug 16, 2009
ShrubFan18 wrote:
Oh My Holy Heck, I just got back getting school supplies for my 2nd grader and my 4th grader. My jaw hit the floor when the cashier told me my total was $101. Wow and I actually had to skip a few thing due to the store not having them in stock. This total scares me because I will be having 3 go to school next year. I am shocked at the amount we have to shell out. I am a single mother and it is hard enough to buy school supplies but now I have to worry about getting them new clothing too. THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME EITHER!!!!
Why not ask for a SMITH's employee discount?
FHS rules

Litchfield Park, AZ

#16 Aug 16, 2009
Dang alot of babys in this town,parents should get a better job to support their kids.Everyone wants free hand outs.Grew up yuourself and take care of your kids.Its just money,giving $100 for supplies wont hurt much.Its a tough world out there and I guess its finally hitting some parents.Dont buy the supplies then maybe your kids can work at Burger King in the future.Just buy the supplies.
mom of 2

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Aug 17, 2009
LANDSHARK wrote:
<quoted text>It' not that some parents can't provide, it's they don't because they know we'll pick up the slack, as usual. Of course it's not the kids fault, it's the parents! They can't buy school supplies but they sure can buy booze, pot, meth and party while those of us who are responsible take care of their kids. I grew up in a large family and we were about as poor as you could get but I never saw anyone handing us anything. We got by, barely, on what we had and that was it. There wasn't any welfare, WIC, foodstamps etc. Of course I feel bad for the children but like I said before, if you can't support them, quit having them.
That's the thing, I wouldn't mind buying all those supplies if I knew it was going to less fortunate kids but I know for a fact that a lot of the time it's people who know they can get away with not buying them.
Worker Bee

Hatch, NM

#18 Aug 17, 2009
FHS rules wrote:
Dang alot of babys in this town,parents should get a better job to support their kids.Everyone wants free hand outs.Grew up yuourself and take care of your kids.Its just money,giving $100 for supplies wont hurt much.Its a tough world out there and I guess its finally hitting some parents.Dont buy the supplies then maybe your kids can work at Burger King in the future.Just buy the supplies.
Get a better job.. some of us work two jobs as it is.. the unemployment rate in Farmington is 7.8% highest in the state.
A lot of parents (one or both) lost there jobs. Some class rooms have more supplies than they can store. 180 Days of school 200 pencils wow more than one a day.
Anti Jim

Taos, NM

#19 Aug 17, 2009
LOUD PIPES wrote:
<quoted text> Thats right. I know a few teachers, and they spend far to much of their own hard earned money on our kids school activity suplies, and more, for there teaching technique for our kids abilities. Don't think any school or gov. funding covers this, cause it don't. With times now hard for everyone, the teachers can't afford this anymore, and should'nt have to. When it comes to our little ones, who gives a sh it if we need to send a little extra to help another little one that is'nt old enough to do it for themselves. It sure is'nt the kids or the teachers fault that some parents can't provide.
First of all Jim, its called respect. No one has it anymore, I dont have a problem with sending my child with the needed supplies for them. What happened to the "school need list" where you had a choice on what you would donate (I used to spend a lot for this as well). But now we are forced to buy for others and donate as well, where is all this stuff going to?
You talk about the Teacher buying stuff, what are they buying? They teach the same stuff every year, we buy the books they teach from, and handouts are made on the school copy machine. Even if they do have to buy some stuff, what person in any job doesnt have to? I buy stuff for my job to make my life easier all the timee.
What do you and Darlene teach school? Man I really hope you are not teaching your jaded messed up thinking to young ones.

“The voices! The voices!”

Since: Jun 09

The outbacks of NM

#20 Aug 17, 2009
I remember one year having to buy the markers and erasers for the new boards. Markers I understand but a package of 3 white board erasers per child (on the list). If you figure at least 25 kids in class and each providing 3 erasers, that's 75 erasers. I guess that one wasn't on the list the next year as they would have a surplus of erasers for the next 5 years at least.
Back to the Real World

Miami, FL

#21 Aug 17, 2009
Come on people. I realize we're in a recession. I realize that you may not make huge money. But, neither do I (I earn $20 / hour, and rarely work 40 / week) but this is your children we're talking about. When you made that child, you accepted a responsibility that exceeds any other that you will ever have, now act like it. If this means no cosmetics for a month, so what? If this means no beer at night for a month, so what? If this means not going to the movies for two months, so what? Take responsibility and dedicate everything to your children, because they will define whether or not you are a success. By the way, even at my reasonable income level, I'm able to afford $100+ lunches once in a while, and buy fine clothing - If I have a child (which I do not) that would be very happily replaced by purchasing school supplies and clothes for them, and yes, even their school mates (you don't really think I spend $100 on MY lunch do you.. Share people, don't be so dang selfish.)

-CB
Crystal

Albuquerque, NM

#22 Aug 17, 2009
I completely agree. I mean sharing is fine but even I have a hard time finding everything just as they say.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blanco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FPD Bored? Thu MXMNCSGB 19
Doors likely to close at Four Winds Recovery Ce... Sep 17 bout time 1
Does Islam promote violence Sep 17 Nope 3
Barack Obama COUNTDOWN Clock 1000 days left & c... Sep 16 Time left 192
Bloomfield's insurer says lawsuits against city... Sep 16 lyndy 1
Four people face felonies in Cigarette Outlet r... Sep 16 profiling 1
Farmington residents asked to use boiled, bottl... Sep 14 Apple 1
•••
•••
•••