Alcohol contributed to nearly half of...

Alcohol contributed to nearly half of San Juan County traffic fatalities in 2013

There are 20 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Jan 4, 2014, titled Alcohol contributed to nearly half of San Juan County traffic fatalities in 2013. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

Police said alcohol appeared to be a factor in seven of those deaths and five of the fatal crashes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

Droid

Gilbert, AZ

#1 Jan 4, 2014
Let's just keep selling that liquor!

The solution? County needs to go dry.
lolol

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jan 5, 2014
Oh yes because prohibition and illegalization worked so well in the past as it does now for drugs. You want a dry county, move to one.
Droid

Gilbert, AZ

#3 Jan 5, 2014
lolol wrote:
Oh yes because prohibition and illegalization worked so well in the past as it does now for drugs. You want a dry county, move to one.
Have lived in a dry county before--highly populated--their alcohol related incidents and drunk driving were less than 1/4 that of SJC.

This area has an unusually high rate of DWI (as well as alcohol related crime), and it's far too easy to obtain the stuff.

Not worth a try?
we are all

Las Cruces, NM

#4 Jan 5, 2014
Droid wrote:
<quoted text>
Have lived in a dry county before--highly populated--their alcohol related incidents and drunk driving were less than 1/4 that of SJC.
This area has an unusually high rate of DWI (as well as alcohol related crime), and it's far too easy to obtain the stuff.
Not worth a try?
right behind YOU in support. Let us know if you need help, we'll be somewhere in the arena.
Altenate Solution

Las Vegas, NV

#5 Jan 6, 2014
Droid wrote:
The solution? County needs to go dry.
Rez needs to go "wet".
Droid

Phoenix, AZ

#6 Jan 6, 2014
Altenate Solution wrote:
<quoted text>
Rez needs to go "wet".
Why?
sanjuan

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jan 7, 2014
One reason why we should not try a prohibition of alcohol sales is because the majority of people consume alcohol in a responsible manner. Do their liberties matter? If not...then why not prohibit the sale of firearms in the county, or any other item that has the potential to be misused/abused? We have a criminal justice system in place to deal with persons who abuse alcohol and then violate others. If that system is not working we should concentrate on fixing it before infringing on the liberties of the majority.
Speakeasy

Denver, CO

#8 Jan 7, 2014
Oh yea, try that prohibition in a county full of Native Americans and Undocumenteds. Very smart. Please, pull your head out of your backside.
Droid

Phoenix, AZ

#9 Jan 7, 2014
Speakeasy wrote:
Oh yea, try that prohibition in a county full of Native Americans and Undocumenteds. Very smart. Please, pull your head out of your backside.
So let me get this straight......

You're saying there would be more alcohol use if the res were wet? And the reason there isn't as much now is because it's dry? And people come to the wet counties to drink?

Hmmmmm

That's exactly my reasoning for making San Juan County DRY.
Just Me

Rio Rancho, NM

#10 Jan 7, 2014
I wonder how many of those drunk drivers were previous arrested, and treated to New Mexico's catch-and-release program?
Horace

United States

#11 Jan 7, 2014
Droid wrote:
<quoted text>
You're saying there would be more alcohol use if the res were wet? And the reason there isn't as much now is because it's dry? And people come to the wet counties to drink?
Hmmmmm
That's exactly my reasoning for making San Juan County DRY.

So you're saying the chicken came from the egg or the egg came from the chicken?
Droid

Phoenix, AZ

#12 Jan 7, 2014
Horace wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying the chicken came from the egg or the egg came from the chicken?
Do you think Farmington would have fewer street inebriates if both the reservation and San Juan County were dry?
Horace

United States

#13 Jan 7, 2014
Droid wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think Farmington would have fewer street inebriates if both the reservation and San Juan County were dry?
That is a rhetorical question because the county would never go "dry". SJ county is about 70% Republican conservatives and there are three things they cling to - their guns, their bibles, and their booze.
Droid

United States

#14 Jan 7, 2014
Horace wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a rhetorical question because the county would never go "dry". SJ county is about 70% Republican conservatives and there are three things they cling to - their guns, their bibles, and their booze.
What is your opinion? Do you think alcohol related issues from street inebriates to DWI would be significantly reduced if both the rez and SJC were dry?

Or
Horace

Farmington, NM

#15 Jan 8, 2014
Droid wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your opinion? Do you think alcohol related issues from street inebriates to DWI would be significantly reduced if both the rez and SJC were dry?
Or
Okay, I'll play along. The inebriates are drawn to F-town for several reasons: Alcohol, flop houses, soup kitchens or food banks, and the company of other inebriates. They can find a drink within reasonable walking distances; or hop on the city bus to the next watering spot. They can find easily some free food to scarf down in between binges. They can pal around with other inebriates or roll them for any drink or money they won't share. If the county goes dry, there will always be bootleggers aplenty - look at the rez - dry but plenty of booze from 'leggers to be found. Jes check your local NHA projects. So no, street inebriates won't be affected by a dry county.

As for DWIs, the drink driving to and from SJ county will only shift to other counties in NM or surrounding states. Especially those package stores that offer drive-up service like Chambers or Cortez.
Don

Maywood, CA

#16 Jan 9, 2014
Looks like it just keeps on doing its thing. Nothing new here.
KingOfAllDineh

United States

#17 Jan 10, 2014
We need to legalize alcohol on da Rez and keep F-Town dry.
Don

Maywood, CA

#18 Jan 24, 2014
KingOfAllDineh wrote:
We need to legalize alcohol on da Rez and keep F-Town dry.
You can take care of all the babies born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome then.

“"Hold the Rope"”

Since: Mar 12

Kirtland New Mexico

#19 Jan 28, 2014
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
You can take care of all the babies born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome then.
They will have obamacare daycare, they will be just fine.
SimplyraisedinSa nJuan

United States

#20 Jan 31, 2014
Now you are talking!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blanco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama COUNTDOWN Clock 1000 days left & c... (Apr '14) Jul 25 Richies Cool Man ... 736
Redburn tires Jul 23 Jack Harry 1
News DMV experience a painful one (Oct '10) Jul 19 Hush Money MVD 84
News County's justice system corrupt (Oct '10) Jul 8 the victim 52
News NM bill outlaws smoking in vehicles with kids (Feb '09) Jun '17 sadeyes982003 362
News Young male drowns in Farmington Lake (Aug '08) Jun '17 Tim 36
News Woman pleads to murder for role in drunken fight (May '09) Jun '17 Tim 54

Blanco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blanco Mortgages