First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Union County

Blairsville, GA

#1 Aug 6, 2013
How was the first day of school for everyone?
Kuh kane

Blairsville, GA

#2 Aug 7, 2013
Whats with the drug testing at the school now?
Roland

Dahlonega, GA

#3 Aug 7, 2013
Union County wrote:
How was the first day of school for everyone?
It was ok but I got in trouble because I took my frog Pinky to school and he got out of my bookbag and hopped up to where the teacher was and she freaked out and started screaming and got up on her chair and then got really mad at me and sent me and Pinky to the princiapals office and then they called my mom so I got in trouble again when I got home but I like my school and my teacher anyway
My understanding

Brooks, GA

#4 Aug 10, 2013
Kuh kane wrote:
Whats with the drug testing at the school now?
If a child is involved in extra curricular activities or has a parking pass they are subject to drug testing. I love all the changes made at the high school, they are great.
UC Voter

Dawsonville, GA

#5 Aug 10, 2013
Let's get priorities straight, first.
Drug test welfare people and leave the kids alone.
Drug testing without parental consent is wrong!
Just a thought

Cleveland, GA

#6 Aug 10, 2013
UC Voter wrote:
I agree. Let them go until they are hooked on drugs and on welfare then test them. Makes sense to me.
My understanding

United States

#7 Aug 10, 2013
UC Voter wrote:
It's with parental consent. If you don't want them to be drug tested keep them off the field and out of the parking lot. If they are not in extra curricular activities and don't have a parking pass, no drug testing. Be thankful they are cleaning it up and stop your complaining. The school has nothing to do with welfare recipants being tested, that's a whole different topic.
froggy

Alto, GA

#8 Aug 10, 2013
Drug testing without probable cause is another infringement on our constitutional rights whether it be @ school or upon those who collect welfare. Another insertion of government into your private life
Agreed

Anniston, AL

#9 Aug 10, 2013
froggy wrote:
Drug testing without probable cause is another infringement on our constitutional rights whether it be @ school or upon those who collect welfare. Another insertion of government into your private life
I agree with you. There are too many questionable things that can happen with standard drug tests. The child should be under the provision of the parent, not the government system. If I want my child to participate in sports, I have to consent to them being drug tested? That's demeaning, in my opinion. Usually the kids who are involved in sports aren't statistically the one's who are experimenting with drugs. It's the more withdrawn students. I don't agree to drug testing under any circumstances without a parents approval, but if the school/government is insisting on this, test the kids who have proven not to be mentally incapable but are falling behind with their grades anyway. Not the kids who are trying to be involved and excel in something. This will ultimately lead to a decrease in sports participation, which will then lead to a decrease in funding/revenue.
My understanding

Fruitland Park, FL

#10 Aug 10, 2013
Agreed wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. There are too many questionable things that can happen with standard drug tests. The child should be under the provision of the parent, not the government system. If I want my child to participate in sports, I have to consent to them being drug tested? That's demeaning, in my opinion. Usually the kids who are involved in sports aren't statistically the one's who are experimenting with drugs. It's the more withdrawn students. I don't agree to drug testing under any circumstances without a parents approval, but if the school/government is insisting on this, test the kids who have proven not to be mentally incapable but are falling behind with their grades anyway. Not the kids who are trying to be involved and excel in something. This will ultimately lead to a decrease in sports participation, which will then lead to a decrease in funding/revenue.
Check your statistics!
Agreed

Anniston, AL

#11 Aug 10, 2013
My understanding wrote:
<quoted text>
Check your statistics!
I get yearly training regarding these "statistics", thank you. We're not talking about typical alcohol abuse among high school students.
Greater Concerns

Blairsville, GA

#12 Aug 10, 2013
The high school has been doing drug testing for a while and I don't think there has been any decrease in sports participation because of it. This idea is not new.

What concerns me about the school system is they just received all of these splost funds and the classrooms are way overcrowded this year. They need more teachers or to figure out how to spread the students out more evenly. One of my child's classes is ridiculously over crowded. Also, my child is in the band and they are now saying they do not have enough money to finish the performing arts center that has been promised the last two times they have proposed the splost.

If they are not spending money to create a better learning environment for our kids, then what are they spending it on?
My understanding

Fruitland Park, FL

#13 Aug 10, 2013
Agreed wrote:
<quoted text>
I get yearly training regarding these "statistics", thank you. We're not talking about typical alcohol abuse among high school students.
So do I! If you don't like it put your kid in private school and stop relying on the government to educate your kid and then complaining about it. Teenagers have to take drug test to get employed, it's not as if its foreign to them.
fear of attorneys

Dahlonega, GA

#14 Aug 10, 2013
Years ago, the argument against corporal punishment was that it was demeaning to a child, and damaged their development. So now, we have them piss in a cup implying they are criminals or have no morals or ethics.

We've come a long way baby.
fear of attorneys

Dahlonega, GA

#15 Aug 10, 2013
My understanding wrote:
<quoted text>
So do I! If you don't like it put your kid in private school and stop relying on the government to educate your kid and then complaining about it. Teenagers have to take drug test to get employed, it's not as if its foreign to them.
Yes, we have to train our children how to pee in a cup in front of a stranger. How to become used to video cameras taping them constantly. Their phone calls/texts being recorded and monitored. And what that drone is doing overhead.

Is life getting better? I wonder if they have to read George Orwell.
follow money

Dawsonville, GA

#16 Aug 10, 2013
Greater Concerns wrote:
If they are not spending money to create a better learning environment for our kids, then what are they spending it on?
Bigger salaries and wasteful projects that benefit a few. Education isn't about education. Religion isn't about God. Government isn't about governing. Its all about money. Least morally qualified people flock to high level decision making positions and then play with taxpayer and tither money like its a private piggy bank. If your in the inner circle you get fed. If your not your getting fleeced and chopped up for your tax dollar. That is the way of it.
froggy

Alto, GA

#17 Aug 10, 2013
Maybe the administrators and coaching staff should have to pass a drug test.
What happens if a kid tests positive? Off the team, suspension, arrest, rehab?
Who does the school share this information with?
Can a kid ruin his entire life over a stupid impulse to smoke a joint off campus?
You folks piss and moan about your rights and then lay down and never challenge authority.Teaching your children that government has a say so in how you can conduct your life. Be a sheep son,your life will be easier.
Maybe you should have challenged them long ago.

Laughing

Dawsonville, GA

#18 Aug 10, 2013
So against drug testing students.

Our kids are better than that - what drug testing is saying is "we don't trust you" and "until you can prove to us that you are drug free, you can not participate in school events."

The kids are not criminals, why treat them like they are.

No, people are NOT drug tested prior to employment. Few places do that.
Him Dat Knows...

Toccoa, GA

#19 Aug 10, 2013
Agreed wrote:
<quoted text>Usually the kids who are involved in sports aren't statistically the one's who are experimenting with drugs.
Yeah... because A-Rod and other MLB/Sports stars have been SUCH great role models regarding drug use, right?
Weird

Blairsville, GA

#20 Aug 10, 2013
Why does the high school have that little white building with traffic lights on it as you enter the parking lot? There is never anyone in the building and the lights are not working.???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
EMC info from Hiawassee Forum 44 min Gowder 64
Flori-duh ! 3 hr Timmy_ 2
Floridiot Hospital 3 hr Timmy_ 2
Crazy Floridiots 3 hr Timmy_ 41
inter racial couples 3 hr Timmy_ 53
Wendy busted 4 hr Karma 1
Nation of Islam, Be Aware 4 hr Oh my 16
Local MD in jail? 20 hr Hillary Rodham-Cl... 97
More from around the web

Blairsville People Search