First Prev
of 2
Next Last
need to know

Dawsonville, GA

#1 Dec 3, 2012
does the food pantry or church groups give out food for animals
Zoltar

Dawsonville, GA

#2 Dec 4, 2012
need to know wrote:
does the food pantry or church groups give out food for animals
Though animals are God's creatures, I would seriously doubt you could find free food in those places you mention.

Should you have a need, there are a couple of things you might consider:

If you have access to a Pet Smart location, they stock on Tuesday night. Wednesday is the day they offer broken bags of food and dented cans at over 1/2 off original price. You might also check with Walmart or the food stores in town for the same thing.

Check out some of the websites for making your own pet food recipes. Be sure to also check the lists of foods that are dangerous to animals.

I hope this is of some help to you.
Normal Joe

Blairsville, GA

#3 Dec 4, 2012
Check with the Mountian Shelter, they can help.
Pantry

Blairsville, GA

#4 Dec 4, 2012
need to know wrote:
does the food pantry or church groups give out food for animals
Yes, when it's available, which is pretty often. Today's the day to go find out. They start distributing at 2:00 PM but you'll have to sign up first.
Pantry

Blairsville, GA

#5 Dec 4, 2012
That's in Hiawassee, just up from the Chamber of Commerce office.
Pantry

Blairsville, GA

#6 Dec 4, 2012
You have to reside in Towns County, BTW.
Zoltar

Dawsonville, GA

#7 Dec 4, 2012
Pantry wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, when it's available, which is pretty often. Today's the day to go find out. They start distributing at 2:00 PM but you'll have to sign up first.
I stand corrected. I should not have made that assumption.

Thank you for providing that information to "need to know" or anyone else who has that need.
UC Person

Duluth, GA

#8 Dec 7, 2012
Just wondering, if you need assistance feeding yourself and family, should you continue to have a critter to worry about? If you can feed yourself and family but need assistance feeding your critter, should you continue to keep the critter?

Just wondering. And yes, we have a family critter.
froggy

Toccoa, GA

#9 Dec 7, 2012
UC Person wrote:
Just wondering, if you need assistance feeding yourself and family, should you continue to have a critter to worry about? If you can feed yourself and family but need assistance feeding your critter, should you continue to keep the critter?
Just wondering. And yes, we have a family critter.
So what do you want he/she to do with the pet? It's not like anyone will take it. Maybe you would like to?
this is the answer

Cleveland, GA

#10 Dec 7, 2012
froggy wrote:
<quoted text>So what do you want he/she to do with the pet? It's not like anyone will take it. Maybe you would like to?
if you can feed your family, there should be some food available for your pet, if not, call mountain shelter in blairsville, castaway critters in blairsville

if you absolutely cannot afford to properly feed and vet your pet, you should consider calling mountain shelter or castaway critters to see if they can take your pet....and also, do not get anymore until you are financially stable to care for it.....also, spay and neuter your pet(s) to prevent litters, and get yourself fixed at the same time
froggy

Toccoa, GA

#11 Dec 7, 2012
this is the answer wrote:
<quoted text>
if you can feed your family, there should be some food available for your pet, if not, call mountain shelter in blairsville, castaway critters in blairsville
if you absolutely cannot afford to properly feed and vet your pet, you should consider calling mountain shelter or castaway critters to see if they can take your pet....and also, do not get anymore until you are financially stable to care for it.....also, spay and neuter your pet(s) to prevent litters, and get yourself fixed at the same time
Really? And how often are the able to offer help? Shelter is no kill. You have to wait until there is an opening.
Castaway critters...they don't take cats over 3 yrs. old. So how do you feed the pet until there is room?
Do you let it starve, drop it off in the woods? Shoot it?
I admire that the poster actually cares and is trying to provide for their pet. You're good at judging others too bad you have no heart. Poor people love their pets too. In some cases that is all they have.
this is the answer

Cleveland, GA

#12 Dec 7, 2012
froggy wrote:
<quoted text>Really? And how often are the able to offer help? Shelter is no kill. You have to wait until there is an opening.
Castaway critters...they don't take cats over 3 yrs. old. So how do you feed the pet until there is room?
Do you let it starve, drop it off in the woods? Shoot it?
I admire that the poster actually cares and is trying to provide for their pet. You're good at judging others too bad you have no heart. Poor people love their pets too. In some cases that is all they have.
you are wrong, castaway critters does take cats, if they have space, whatever their age, mountain shelter humane society will not take cats over 5 years old, so get your facts straight
gamule

Dawsonville, GA

#13 Dec 8, 2012
need to know wrote:
does the food pantry or church groups give out food for animals
teach your dog to hunt
be openmindeddamn

Smyrna, GA

#14 Dec 8, 2012
Have you ever tried calling the shelter see if they can take a animal? There always full and give you twenty other numbers to call which they all happen to be full also or put you on the waiting list in which it took about for months for them to call back so what do you do with it until then? we have several stray cats come to our house that we can not feed due to having or own cats and tried calling the shelters but they were not accepting at that time or in the near future so you should not just throw assumptions up like that to someone, because most of the time they are full and so your pet has no where to go... And like mentioned before don't judge someone for wanting food for there pet, to most people pets are just as much part of the family. If you were on hard times feeding your kids you wouldn't just up and put them up for adoption would you? No, and pets are like kids to some people and are all they have..think before you judge next time.
froggy

Dahlonega, GA

#15 Dec 8, 2012
this is the answer wrote:
<quoted text>
you are wrong, castaway critters does take cats, if they have space, whatever their age, mountain shelter humane society will not take cats over 5 years old, so get your facts straight
That's what they told my friend. I guess the operative phrase is "if they have room". What do you do in the meantime?
Bored

Dawsonville, GA

#18 Dec 8, 2012
froggy wrote:
<quoted text>That's what they told my friend. I guess the operative phrase is "if they have room". What do you do in the meantime?
Shoot yourself. Do the world a favor.
froggy

Dahlonega, GA

#19 Dec 8, 2012
Bored wrote:
<quoted text>
Shoot yourself. Do the world a favor.
Still an idiot, I see.
outsider

Blairsville, GA

#20 Dec 8, 2012
Just answer "need to know" and keep your opinions to yourself. Just because "need to know" asked for help doesn't mean he/she should get rid of the pet. If you really need help contact Shannon at Castaway. Tell her to contact Peaches' foster mom. I'll help you.

People make me sick with their stupid answers.

NOT ONE PERSON OFFERED TO HELP.

Besides, maybe "need to know" isn't the pet owner but asking for someone else. TOPIX is a horrible place to ask a decent question. YOu should all be ashamed.
Also

United States

#21 Dec 8, 2012
You can reach castaway on Facebook. The have a cat house and fabulous people running it. They will do what they can to help. Thank you outsider.
for the greater good

Jefferson, GA

#22 Dec 8, 2012
need to know wrote:
does the food pantry or church groups give out food for animals
I'm not very sure of the church having pet food but these links may help

http://www.scamfreesamples.com/free-pet-sampl...

http://www.getfreedogfood.com

http://www.catchannel.com/community/pet-food-...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
US flag 4 hr Barry Obama 6
what are the dog-like animals (Jul '09) 4 hr Veritas 37
Tipton Springs Rd 4 hr Lamar 13
Remove EMC BOARD and Akins 5 hr Fed Up Member 93
Impending Obama Internet Tax ? 5 hr Stop Ignorance 9
State of Georgia, Plaintiff, v. Joint Dev. Auth... 5 hr Stop Ignorance 10
Loonie Liberals 5 hr Stop Ignorance 42

Blairsville News Video

Blairsville Dating
Find my Match

Blairsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Blairsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Blairsville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:43 pm PST

Bleacher Report 1:43PM
Jason Avant to Chiefs: Latest Contract Details, Analysis and Reaction
NFL 2:19 PM
Jason Avant signs with Kansas City Chiefs
NBC Sports 2:24 PM
Column: NFL should realign after NFC South debacle - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:32 PM
Roman Harper fined $8,268 for unnecessary roughness
NBC Sports 2:32 PM
Roman Harper fined $8,268 for unnecessary roughness