of 7
Next Last
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#130 Jan 26, 2013
Scientists hate the GOP for a reason
FRIDAY, JAN 11, 2013 12:15 PM EST
BY AMANDA MARCOTTE, THE AMERICAN PROSPECT
http://www.salon.com/2013/01/11/scientists_ha...

One of the great political shifts in the past decade has been the move of scientists toward the Democratic Party, a casualty of the Republican Party’s war on reality. It’s not about politics for scientists, it’s about the fact that only one party accepts scientific findings on everything from global warming to evolutionary theory to what does and doesn’t prevent pregnancy. Only 6 percent of scientists identify as Republican, whereas 55 percent identify as Democratic....

...In Merchants of Doubt, Oreskes and Conway laid out how the fields of environmental science and public health, not the social sciences, turned Republicans into anti-science warriors. They explain that it was during the debates over tobacco’s carcinogenic properties that conservatives began their assault on science, claiming a controversy where there was none in hopes of delaying government interventions that would depress the tobacco industry’s profits. After that, the strategy was set. If scientists made proclamations that could undermine industry, conservative politicians claimed the research was more controversial than it was, offered up well-paid but unethical experts who claimed to have doubts, and introduced shoddy research with divergent findings. The strategy has been employed to resist and delay government regulation to combat acid rain, global warming, and the hole in the ozone.

At some point, the conservative movement began to realize that since these fights were going to come up over and over, it wasn’t enough to simply cast doubts on individual scientific claims. They had to sow suspicion of the field of science itself....

...If all scientists agreed tomorrow to stop donating to parties, expressing political opinions in public, or even voting, Republicans would not gratefully start agreeing with scientific consensus around global warming or embrace public health recommendations to reduce unplanned pregnancy and STDs. They wouldn’t even come around on the now 154-year-old theory of evolution. They oppose these ideas because they come in conflict with Republican ideological concerns. In a larger sense, conservatives aren’t going to abandon their discomfort with empiricism, because it’s so destabilizing to their political authority.
Zoltar

Dahlonega, GA

#131 Jan 26, 2013
This is a Neil Armstrong story a friend sent to me. It made me laugh, so, I thought I would share it with you good people.

ON JULY 20, 1969, AS COMMANDER OF THE APOLLO 11 LUNAR MODULE, NEIL ARMSTRONG WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO SET FOOT ON THE MOON.

HIS FIRST WORDS AFTER STEPPING ON THE MOON, "THAT'S ONE SMALL STEP FOR MAN, ONE GIANT LEAP FOR MANKIND," WERE TELEVISED TO EARTH AND HEARD BY MILLIONS.*

BUT JUST BEFORE HE RE-ENTERED THE LANDER, HE MADE THE ENIGMATIC REMARK –"GOOD LUCK, MR. GORSKY."

MANY PEOPLE AT NASA THOUGHT IT WAS A CASUAL REMARK CONCERNING SOME RIVAL SOVIET COSMONAUT. HOWEVER, UPON CHECKING, THERE WAS NO GORSKY IN EITHER THE RUSSIAN OR AMERICAN SPACE PROGRAMS .

OVER THE YEARS, MANY PEOPLE QUESTIONED ARMSTRONG AS TO WHAT THE –'GOOD LUCK, MR. GORSKY' STATEMENT MEANT, BUT ARMSTRONG ALWAYS JUST SMILED.

ON JULY 5, 1995, IN TAMPA BAY , FLORIDA , WHILE ANSWERING QUESTIONS FOLLOWING A SPEECH, A REPORTER BROUGHT UP THE 26-YEAR-OLD QUESTION ABOUT MR. GORSKY TO ARMSTRONG.

THIS TIME HE FINALLY RESPONDED BECAUSE MR. GORSKY HAD DIED, SO NEIL ARMSTRONG FELT HE COULD NOW ANSWER THE QUESTION. HERE IS THE ANSWER TO "WHO WAS MR GORSKY":

IN 1938, WHEN HE WAS A KID IN A SMALL MID-WESTERN TOWN , HE WAS PLAYING BASEBALL WITH A FRIEND IN THE BACKYARD. HIS FRIEND HIT THE BALL, WHICH LANDED IN HIS NEIGHBOR'S YARD BY THEIR BEDROOM WINDOW.

HIS NEIGHBORS WERE MR. AND MRS. GORSKY. AS HE LEANED DOWN TO PICK UP THE BALL, YOUNG ARMSTRONG HEARD MRS. GORSKY SHOUTING AT MR. GORSKY,

"SEX! YOU WANT SEX?! YOU'LL GET SEX WHEN THE KID NEXT DOOR WALKS ON THE MOON!"

IT BROKE THE PLACE UP.

NEIL ARMSTRONG'S FAMILY CONFIRMED THIS IS A TRUE STORY.

Informed Opinion

Alva, FL

#132 Jan 26, 2013
Zoltar wrote:
This is a Neil Armstrong story a friend sent to me. It made me laugh, so, I thought I would share it with you good people.

ON JULY 20, 1969, AS COMMANDER OF THE APOLLO 11 LUNAR MODULE, NEIL ARMSTRONG WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO SET FOOT ON THE MOON.

HIS FIRST WORDS AFTER STEPPING ON THE MOON, "THAT'S ONE SMALL STEP FOR MAN, ONE GIANT LEAP FOR MANKIND," WERE TELEVISED TO EARTH AND HEARD BY MILLIONS.*

BUT JUST BEFORE HE RE-ENTERED THE LANDER, HE MADE THE ENIGMATIC REMARK –"GOOD LUCK, MR. GORSKY."

MANY PEOPLE AT NASA THOUGHT IT WAS A CASUAL REMARK CONCERNING SOME RIVAL SOVIET COSMONAUT. HOWEVER, UPON CHECKING, THERE WAS NO GORSKY IN EITHER THE RUSSIAN OR AMERICAN SPACE PROGRAMS .

OVER THE YEARS, MANY PEOPLE QUESTIONED ARMSTRONG AS TO WHAT THE –'GOOD LUCK, MR. GORSKY' STATEMENT MEANT, BUT ARMSTRONG ALWAYS JUST SMILED.

ON JULY 5, 1995, IN TAMPA BAY , FLORIDA , WHILE ANSWERING QUESTIONS FOLLOWING A SPEECH, A REPORTER BROUGHT UP THE 26-YEAR-OLD QUESTION ABOUT MR. GORSKY TO ARMSTRONG.

THIS TIME HE FINALLY RESPONDED BECAUSE MR. GORSKY HAD DIED, SO NEIL ARMSTRONG FELT HE COULD NOW ANSWER THE QUESTION. HERE IS THE ANSWER TO "WHO WAS MR GORSKY":

IN 1938, WHEN HE WAS A KID IN A SMALL MID-WESTERN TOWN , HE WAS PLAYING BASEBALL WITH A FRIEND IN THE BACKYARD. HIS FRIEND HIT THE BALL, WHICH LANDED IN HIS NEIGHBOR'S YARD BY THEIR BEDROOM WINDOW.

HIS NEIGHBORS WERE MR. AND MRS. GORSKY. AS HE LEANED DOWN TO PICK UP THE BALL, YOUNG ARMSTRONG HEARD MRS. GORSKY SHOUTING AT MR. GORSKY,

"SEX! YOU WANT SEX?! YOU'LL GET SEX WHEN THE KID NEXT DOOR WALKS ON THE MOON!"

IT BROKE THE PLACE UP.

NEIL ARMSTRONG'S FAMILY CONFIRMED THIS IS A TRUE STORY.
Great story.

Thanks
going up

Dawsonville, GA

#135 Jan 28, 2013
going up

“A Just Cause isn't capitulated”

Since: Jan 13

Blairsville

#136 Jan 29, 2013
Obama Cracks Joke When Asked About Four Dead Americans In Benghazi

breitbart.com

When Steve Kroft of CBS News finally got around to asking President Obama and Secretary of State Clinton about the terrorist attacks in Benghazi resulting in the death of four brave Americans, President Obama decided it would be a good time to go for laughs.

You know, I remember Bob Gates, you know, first thing he said to me, I think maybe first week or two that I was there and we were meeting in the Oval Office and he, obviously, been through seven presidents or something. And he says, "Mr. President, one thing I can guarantee you is that at this moment, somewhere, somehow, somebody in the federal government is screwing up." (Laughter)

It's disgusting to write-off the complete and total failure in Benghazi as nothing more than "someone in the federal government screwing up," it's even more enraging to do so in such a casual and flip way that is meant to engender laughter.

Four Americans are dead! They died while they fought off al-Qaeda terrorists whom President Obama assured us were "on the run" thanks to his leadership. They died waiting for help that never came!

It isn't funny, Mr. President. You're right, somebody in the federal government screwed up.

You just don't realize who it was.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/...

Blairsville

#137 Jan 30, 2013
IG Report: 4,317 Non-Citizens Obtained Multiple Social Security Numbers

Posted on January 30, 2013 by Cowboy Byte

A report from the Social Security Administration Inspector General (IG) found 4,317 instances where a non-citizen was able to obtain two Social Security numbers, including 542 instances that happened since 2001.

“We identified 4,317 instances where the Numident record of 2 SSNs assigned to noncitizens contained matching first, middle, and last names; dates and places of birth; gender; and fathers’ and mothers’ names,” the IG reported on Dec. 10, 2012.

Numident – which stands for Numerical Identification System – is the master file of applications for social security numbers. The IG found that SSA had issued multiple numbers to 4,317 non-citizens from 1981-2011.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/government-ga...

Read more: http://cowboybyte.com/18298/ig-report-4317-no...

Blairsville

#138 Jan 30, 2013
Holder Moves Unilaterally On Gun Control…

Posted on January 29, 2013 byCowboy Byte

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. already is moving on gun control, proposing three measures Monday to increase data sharing and data collection on firearms and potential gun purchasers, even as Congress begins to consider President Obama’s gun-control package on Capitol Hill.

The first of Mr. Holder’s proposals would expand access to information on gun permits to American Indian law enforcement agencies; the second would allow law enforcement to access the FBI’s national criminal database to conduct background checks on people they’re transferring weapons to; and the third would authorize the FBI to maintain records on denied firearms transactions in a separate database for longer than 10 years.

All three were published Monday in the Federal Register for comment.

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/01/28/holder-mov...

Read more: http://cowboybyte.com/18262/holder-moves-unil...
indifferent

Toccoa, GA

#139 Jan 30, 2013
Watching Left Wing Hand Wringing Intellectuals (Oh My) argue with Right Wing Arrogant Nutjobs(JUST CAUSE - formerly known as GAFFLAW) is indeed amusing. I will admit that it has taken me some time to relax in the contented knowledge that in the end they will be the demise of each other. It is a shame that so many innocent people will in the end suffer because of the stubborness of fools though. But it must be.
Yep

Blairsville, GA

#140 Feb 12, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...

Let God Sort Em Out wrote:
“Well, I see MV is back with his BS predictions about the end of the World. Who knows or cares where ACOG and Reb are at. But come to think of it, they probably are really on here using on of their many sock puppet names."

Yep, but, as Hillary Clinton would say “what difference does it make”?

Nobody really knows who they are talkin to. Everyone just speculates, and accuses others, of what they also do; using other names.

Most normally recognize the name changers no matter of the posting name. The name only matters to those who like to attack a particular messenger, cause that’s all they know how to do.

Speaking of MV and sock puppets, Yep he does use a variety of names, I wonder how the “mountain” keeps up with who he is sometime. But, you on the other hand apparently knew that. I guessing this isn’t your first rodeo either.

Would take too much space to list them (name changers, puppets) all here, but I don’t mind telling you – Yep, I’ve been here before too.

Blairsville

#141 Mar 1, 2013
Many have read this before – it worth another read.

“Knowledge is like climbing a mountain. The higher you reach the more you can see and appreciate”~~ Unknown.

Subject: FREE HOUSE

I was in my neighborhood restaurant this morning, and was seated behind a group of jubilant individuals celebrating the coming implementation of the healthcare bill. I could not finish my breakfast. This is what ensued:

They were a diverse group of several races and both sexes. I heard the young man exclaim,“Isn’t Obama like Jesus Christ? I mean, after all, he is healing the sick.” The young woman enthusiastically proclaimed,“Yeah, and he does it for free. I cannot believe anyone would think that a free market would work for health care. Another said,‘The stupid Republicans want us all to starve to death so they can inherit all of the power. Obama should be made a Saint for what he did for those of us less fortunate.”

At this, I had more than enough. I arose from my seat, mustering all the restraint I could find, and approached their table.“Please excuse me; may I impose upon you for one moment?” They smiled and welcomed me to the conversation. I stood at the end of their table, smiled as best I could and began an experiment.“I would like to give one of you my house.

It will cost you no money and I will pay all of the expenses and taxes for as long as you live there. Anyone interested?” They looked at each other in astonishment.“Why would you do something like that?” asked a young man,“There isn’t anything for free in this world.” They began to laugh at me, as they did not realize this man had just made my point.“I am serious, I will give you my house for free, no money what so ever. Anyone interested?”

In unison, a resounding “Hell Yeah” fills the room.“Since there are too many of you, I will have to make a choice as to who receives this money-free bargain.”

I noticed an elderly couple was paying attention to the spectacle unfolding before their eyes, the old man shaking his head in apparent disgust.“I tell you what; I will give it to the one of you most willing to obey my rules.” Again, they looked at one another, an expression of bewilderment on their faces. The perky young woman asked,“What are the rules?” I smiled and said,“I don’t know. I have not yet defined them. However, it is a free home that I offer you.” They giggled amongst themselves, the youngest of which said,“What an old coot. He must be crazy to give away his home. Go take your meds, old man.”

I smiled and leaned into the table a bit further.“I am serious, this is a legitimate offer.” They gaped at me for a moment.“I’ll take it you old fool. Where are the keys?” boasted the youngest among them.“Then I presume you accept ALL of my terms then?” I asked. The elderly couple seemed amused and entertained as they watched from the privacy of their table.“Oh hell yeah! Where do I sign up?” I took a napkin and wrote,“I give this man my home, without the burden of financial obligation, so long as he accepts and abides by the terms that I shall set forth upon consummation of this transaction.” I signed it and handed it to the young man who eagerly scratched out his signature.“Where are the keys to my new house?” he asked in a mocking tone of voice. All eyes were upon us as I stepped back from the table, pulling the keys from pocket and dangling them before the excited new homeowner.
(Continued)

Blairsville

#142 Mar 1, 2013
(Continued)

“Now that we have entered into this binding contract, witnessed by all of your friends, I have decided upon the conditions you are obligated to adhere from this point forward. You may only live in the house for one hour a day. You will not use anything inside of the home. You will obey me without question or resistance. I expect complete loyalty and admiration for this gift I bestow upon you. You will accept my commands and wishes with enthusiasm, no matter the nature. Your morals and principles shall be as mine. You will vote as I do, think as I do and do it with blind faith. These are my terms. Here are your keys.”

I reached the keys forward and the young man looked at me dumbfounded.“Are you out of your mind? Who would ever agree to those ridiculous terms?” the young man appeared irritated.“You did when you signed this contract before reading it, understanding it and with the full knowledge that I would provide my conditions only after you committed to the agreement.”

The elderly man chuckled as his wife tried to restrain him. I was looking at a now silenced and bewildered group of people.“You can shove that stupid deal up you’re a** old man, I want no part of it” exclaimed the now infuriated young man.

'You have committed to the contract, as witnessed by all of your friends; you cannot get out of the deal unless I agree to it. I do not intend to let you free now that I have you ensnared. I am the power you agreed to. I am the one you blindly and without thought chose to enslave yourself to. In short, I am your Master.” At this, the table of celebrating individuals became a unified group against the unfairness of the deal.

After a few moments of unrepeatable comments and slurs, I revealed my true intent.“What I did to you is what this administration and congress did to you with the health care legislation. I easily suckered you in and then revealed the real cost of the bargain. Your folly was in the belief that you can have something you did not earn; that you are entitled to, and that which you did not earn; that you willingly allowed someone else to think for you.

Your failure to research, study and inform yourself permitted reason to escape you. You have entered into a trap from which you cannot flee. Your only chance of freedom is if your new Master gives it to you. A freedom that is given can also be taken away; therefore, it is not freedom.”

With that, I tore up the napkin and placed it before the astonished young man.“This is the nature of your new health care legislation.” I turned away to leave these few in thought and contemplation and was surprised by applause.

The elderly gentleman, who was clearly entertained, shook my hand enthusiastically and said,“Thank you Sir, these kids don’t understand Liberty.” He refused to allow me to pay my bill as he said,“You earned this one, it is an honor to pick up the tab.” I shook his hand in thanks, leaving the restaurant somewhat humbled, and sensing a glimmer of hope for my beloved country.

Use reason: Remember, four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

In God We Trust

Blairsville

#143 Mar 1, 2013
http://dailycaller.com/2012/09/26/taxpayers-s...

The redistribution of $1.4 billion each year.

What can you buy for $1.4 billion a year? You can buy the most luxurious and costly royal presidency in history.

Taxpayers spent $1.4 billion dollars on everything from staffing, housing, flying and entertaining President Obama and his family last year, according to the author of a new book on taxpayer-funded presidential perks.

In comparison, British taxpayers spent just $57.8 million on the royal family.

Author Robert Keith Gray writes in “Presidential Perks Gone Royal” that Obama isn’t the only president to have taken advantage of the expensive trappings of his office. But the amount of money spent on the first family, he argues, has risen tremendously under the Obama administration and needs to be reined in.

Gray told The Daily Caller that the $1.4 billion spent on the Obama family last year is the “total cost of the presidency,” factoring the cost of the “biggest staff in history at the highest wages ever,” a 50 percent increase in the numbers of appointed czars and an Air Force One “running with the frequency of a scheduled air line.”

Perspective:$1.4 billion is equal to spending seven times Mitt Romney’s entire net-worth every year. If Romney had to pay for Barack and Michelle’s lifestyle this year, he would have been bankrupted by the third week in February.

Now, can we please get back to talking about the evil, freeloading rich people, who didn’t build anything and who need to "pay a little bit more."

“Whine-It's all Bush's Fault”

Since: Feb 13

Blairsville

#144 Mar 3, 2013
Yep,

VOTE NO!

DEFEAT

ESPLOST

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our New Sheriffs Dept (Jan '13) 26 min redimix 983
INVESTIGATION: Union County vs. City of Blairsv... 1 hr redimix 70
Remove EMC BOARD and Akins 1 hr redimix 173
Amy Botts (Jul '09) 1 hr redimix 127
Editoral on Union County Tax rank in Ga 2 hr Throckter 10
Time To Clean Up Union County 5 hr FB Eye one U 143
Stop cowering to the floridiots! 11 hr The Mountains Noise 12

Blairsville News Video

Blairsville Dating
Find my Match