Lamar's Vision for Union

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
A Wright

Dahlonega, GA

#1 Oct 29, 2013
He said he had a vision, but I have never heard it.
I hope it is not to make this wonderful peaceful friendly place like Helen or Metro Atlanta.

Question on SPLOST Are we going to approve this tax forever?
Seems to me we need to take a break. What is a couple hundred dollars on your property tax when you pay the 1% all the time and it adds up to probably more then 200 dollars?
Just a thought

Commerce, GA

#2 Oct 29, 2013
If you look at the square you will see what Conley and the DDA envisions of Blairsville. Another Two Bit town trying to bring in weekend tourist to spend money.
trail90

Blue Ridge, GA

#3 Oct 29, 2013
Where on the square can you shop like a tourist??
Sick Man Freud

Blairsville, GA

#4 Oct 29, 2013
Just a thought wrote:
If you look at the square you will see what Conley and the DDA envisions of Blairsville. Another Two Bit town trying to bring in weekend tourist to spend money.
Well, it's pretty obvious no multi-national manufacturing conglomerates are going to set up shop here. And real estate sales and home building are tanked for years to come. Serving the tourists will be better than packing up and leaving or living on welfare.
Voter

Commerce, GA

#5 Oct 30, 2013
Sick Man Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's pretty obvious no multi-national manufacturing conglomerates are going to set up shop here. And real estate sales and home building are tanked for years to come. Serving the tourists will be better than packing up and leaving or living on welfare.
Well Bub the people who moved here to retire didn't retire to a tourist trap. Take your choice the $5 weekend vistor or the people who buy homes, pay taxes. buy all the things that go with living here. Your a dumb fool if you think $5 will stretch that far.
Bruhaha

Blairsville, GA

#6 Oct 30, 2013
Voter wrote:
<quoted text>Well Bub the people who moved here to retire didn't retire to a tourist trap. Take your choice the $5 weekend vistor or the people who buy homes, pay taxes. buy all the things that go with living here. Your a dumb fool if you think $5 will stretch that far.
In case you haven't noticed, there aren't that many new retirees moving here. Fewer new move ins equate to less land sales and home building. That's fewer workers with jobs.

But then most of you Floridiot / A$$lantan move ins wanted time to stop and the gate to be put across the road when you came here.
Move in

Commerce, GA

#7 Oct 30, 2013
Bruhaha wrote:
<quoted text>
In case you haven't noticed, there aren't that many new retirees moving here. Fewer new move ins equate to less land sales and home building. That's fewer workers with jobs.
But then most of you Floridiot / A$$lantan move ins wanted time to stop and the gate to be put across the road when you came here.
Well Idiot you turn it into a tourist trap and see how many of us go elsewhere. Nothing ties us to Blairsville you know. We moved here and we can move somewhere else. The road runs both way.
Bruhaha

Blairsville, GA

#8 Oct 30, 2013
Move in wrote:
<quoted text>Well Idiot you turn it into a tourist trap and see how many of us go elsewhere. Nothing ties us to Blairsville you know. We moved here and we can move somewhere else. The road runs both way.
Do you need a directions? The road that brought you here will take you away.
No fear

Dawsonville, GA

#9 Oct 30, 2013
If anything, retirees are moving out of the area. They get tired of rural life within a few years and it isn't what they expected or health issues cause them to return "home" closer to family, medical facilities, doctors, and the convenience of shopping areas (like malls). It doesn't have much to do with Blairsville being undesirable.

My neighbors have owned property for 10 years and visit from May until the first frost. They are now in their mid-70s and plan to come back one more year. They will then sell their property.

I see this often in the county.

Tourists. We have them! Be thankful because they keep the rental cabins full, restaurants busy, and spend money while they vacation.

This county will NEVER be another Blue Ridge because the state highway goes through the center of town.

Relax rubbernecks. There is nothing to fear.

Besides, if you haven't noticed, this country's economy is in the toilet, people are walking away from their homes, foreclosures continue in abundance, and it ain't gonna change any time soon.
Move in

Commerce, GA

#10 Oct 30, 2013
Bruhaha wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you need a directions? The road that brought you here will take you away.
Well you just lost two votes for your SPLOST and I hope other move ins follow suit.
Bruhaha

Blairsville, GA

#11 Oct 30, 2013
Move in wrote:
<quoted text>Well you just lost two votes for your SPLOST and I hope other move ins follow suit.
Wahhh wahhh... it's not "my" SPLOST and anyways most of the money is used for recreational activities for you old folks, like the zillion dollar golf clubhouse, etc.
Union lover

Dahlonega, GA

#12 Oct 30, 2013
Bruhaha wrote:
<quoted text>
Wahhh wahhh... it's not "my" SPLOST and anyways most of the money is used for recreational activities for you old folks, like the zillion dollar golf clubhouse, etc.
This choice was Lamar's. He could have built something funded within the SPLOST budget. Instead he built a castle that we are still in debt to pay for. You folks want to give him more money?
Union lover

Dahlonega, GA

#13 Oct 30, 2013
Bruhaha wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you need a directions? The road that brought you here will take you away.
If Seniors leave UNION then this place will go bankrupt. We have 401k's and spend lots of money here. We go where the cost of living is low. These sales taxes hurt us.
Bruhaha

Blairsville, GA

#14 Oct 30, 2013
Union lover wrote:
<quoted text>
If Seniors leave UNION then this place will go bankrupt. We have 401k's and spend lots of money here. We go where the cost of living is low. These sales taxes hurt us.
Sure, idiot. Just go back to Tampa or Miami and see if the cost of living is better for you. You need to get real, you're getting a steal up here.
I know

Dahlonega, GA

#15 Oct 30, 2013
Bruhaha wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, idiot. Just go back to Tampa or Miami and see if the cost of living is better for you. You need to get real, you're getting a steal up here.
When you retire you move to a place you think you will be able to live comfortable on your retirement. I retired here 10 years ago. My taxes were $300.00. They are now close to $800.00. My homeowners insurance has gone from $300.00 to over $800.00. Health care was $20.00 a month this year and next year we get to pay $160.00 a month. Do you really think I am excited about paying millions of dollars of wasted money on interest for these crazy nonsenses projects. You call that a steal? What till you retire sonny.
Just a thought

Dahlonega, GA

#16 Oct 31, 2013
Most retirees are going to Tenn. now. Land and building is a lot cheaper as is cost of living. Only thing is they don't have a free Golf Course and bar. Sales tax is around 10 cents on the dollar but they don't have other taxes. If you are careful how you purchase it is considerable cheaper than Ga.
Fud

Toccoa, GA

#17 Oct 31, 2013
Easy way around tax live here and buy everything elsewhere no food or gas.
If we need done on cars or home use people from outside of the county as a rule better quality and prices anyway.

“Our Cause Isn't Lost”

Since: Jan 11

Blairsville, GA

#18 Oct 31, 2013
Union lover wrote:
<quoted text>
If Seniors leave UNION then this place will go bankrupt. We have 401k's and spend lots of money here. We go where the cost of living is low. These sales taxes hurt us.
You make an excellent point that the bait and switch tactics of these mostly useless sales tax plots hurt all of us.

And yes Blairsville/Union County will go bankrupt if the Mayor and Commissioner are allowed to continued their shenanigans of mismanagement, and creating the mess we all now find ourselves in financially.

So stop the madness now, close the purse. VOTE NO SPLOST!!

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”~John Adams 1826~
U R part of the problem

AOL

#19 Oct 31, 2013
I know wrote:
<quoted text>
When you retire you move to a place you think you will be able to live comfortable on your retirement. I retired here 10 years ago. My taxes were $300.00. They are now close to $800.00. My homeowners insurance has gone from $300.00 to over $800.00. Health care was $20.00 a month this year and next year we get to pay $160.00 a month. Do you really think I am excited about paying millions of dollars of wasted money on interest for these crazy nonsenses projects. You call that a steal? What till you retire sonny.
When I was 16, gas was $.25 a gallon and a pack of Marlboros was a quarter.

The price of everything in the USA has increased. It isn't just Union County.

Part of the problem is old people who want things the 'way they were.' Ain't gonna happen in Union County or the USA.

When retirees moved here, they made things more expensive because of their wants, needs, and bitching that the stores weren't good enough, not enough stores, etc.

A Poterhouse Steak is now $25.00 or more.

U R part of the problem

AOL

#20 Oct 31, 2013
Fud wrote:
Easy way around tax live here and buy everything elsewhere no food or gas.
If we need done on cars or home use people from outside of the county as a rule better quality and prices anyway.
That is the dumbest comment I've ever read.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Reported Union Co. GOP chief arrested for sexua... 3 hr Sassafrass Tea 9
DAKOTA SHERWOOD involved in DOLLAR STORE ROBBERY 7 hr ashley 9
dish network 8 hr Sick Man Freud Ph... 9
Seafood 10 hr Orlando Wilson 55
Letter From a Gas Chamber Man at Animal Shelter 18 hr Sad Day 1
Loonie Liberals Sun Student 71
blonde girl in black mercedes Sat HollyChesser 6

Blairsville News Video

Blairsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Blairsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Blairsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Blairsville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:58 am PST

NBC Sports11:58AM
Panthers add Frank Alexander to 53-man roster
NBC Sports12:21 PM
Falcons hoping for 0-0 fresh start in playoffs - NBC Sports
NBC Sports12:38 PM
Steven Jackson undergoing further testing on quad
NBC Sports 1:27 PM
Another strong December has Panthers on playoff doorstep - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 3:58 PM
Mistakes costly for Saints in missing playoffs - NBC Sports