report info

Maysville, GA

#1 Sep 24, 2013

Ex-priest to stand trial for child sex charges
Father Robert Poandl had worked in Claxton, Pembroke, Glennville

Posted: September 13, 2013 9:28 p.m.
Updated: September 13, 2013 9:25 p.m.

Ex-priest to stand trial for child sex charges

A Catholic priest in Ohio who once worked in Glennville, Claxton, and Pembroke will stand trial Monday on charges he sexually assaulted a 10-year-old Cincinnati boy he took to West Virginia in August 1991.
The Rev. Robert Poandl, who worked in seven Georgia towns as part of Glenmary Missions out of Fairfield, Ohio, faces federal child sex charges following a Nov. 14 indictment from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Ohio, according to the FBI Cincinnati division website, www.fbi.gov/cincinnati .
FBI agents arrested Poandl, also known as “Father Bob,” at the Glenmary Missions campus, where he lives, the day after his indictment was returned.
The crime is punishable by up to 10 years in prison.
According to www.bishop-accountability.org , Poandl pleaded not guilty to the charges Nov. 20 and was released on his own recognizance, placed on house arrest with a GPS monitoring device.
After his arrest, Glenmary Missioners released a statement on their website claiming the charges were related to a June 2009 accusation of sexual misconduct with a minor in 1991 in Spencer, W.Va.
The statement said those charges against Poandl were dismissed by a West Virginia court in August 2010 and his record was expunged.
In February 2012, Poandl was relieved of his ministerial duties as pastor of Glenmary’s missions in Claxton, Pembroke and Sand Hill, Ga., after an unrelated allegation of sexual misconduct, according to reports. Since then, he has lived under a safety plan at Glenmary’s campus and has not been functioning as a Roman Catholic priest.
According to Associated Press reports, Poandl’s attorney sought dismissal of the charges, asking asked Ohio U.S. District Judge Michael Barrett to throw out the case, saying a five-year statute of limitations should apply to the crime.
The charges followed a report by the victim several years after the incident was said to have occurred.
The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP, reported that Poandl’s trial begins Monday in federal court in Cincinnati.
“This victim and his family are very brave,” said Judy Jones, a spokeswoman for SNAP.“And this predator is very shrewd.”
She urged anyone who may have seen, suspected or suffered Poandl’s crimes to call authorities immediately.
“It’s never too late to share what you know or suspect with law enforcement officials,” she said.“It’s up to us to pass on information. And it’s up to police and prosecutors to determine what will help them prosecute a criminal.”
Poandl worked in Blairsville, Dahlonga, Cleveland, Glenville, Claxton, Pembroke, and Sand Hill. He also worked at churches and church assignments in Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas, Kentucky, Louisiana and Mississippi.
“He has been transferred roughly 30 times in 44 years. That alone is a serious red flag,” said David Clohessy , a member of SNAP.
Straight talk

Atlanta, GA

#2 Sep 24, 2013
SNAP is still working to discredit any priest they can. He had a trial before and charges were dismissed. No reason to think this one will end any different. He was a good priest when he was here.
Ben Dover

Dawsonville, GA

#4 Dec 7, 2013
Straight talk

Winder, GA

#5 Dec 7, 2013
tmv post

Perry, GA

#6 Dec 7, 2013
Ben Dover wrote:
http://www.accessnorthga.com/d etail.php?n=265927
TO QUOTE THE STORY:

CINCINNATI, Ohio - A Catholic priest who worked in more than a half-dozen Georgia towns is now a CONVICTED child molester in Ohio.

Rev. Robert Poandl of Fairfield-based Glenmary Home Missioners, was found GUILTY of the sex charges in federal court Friday, according to news reports out of Ohio. Poandl was convicted on one count of transportation of a minor across state lines for illicit purposes. The 72-year-old Poandl was accused of sodomizing a 10-year-old boy in a West Virginia church rectory in 1991....
Straight talk wrote:
SNAP is still working to discredit any priest they can. He had a trial before and charges were dismissed. No reason to think this one will end any different. He was a good priest when he was here.
Some people will defend anything. Here's some "straight talk" for you: Your defense of this priest reminds me of the faithful followers of Lamar Paris, Norman Cooper and others in Blairsville. It does not matter what evidence you present. It won't even matter if you get a conviction. Evil will always defend evil.

You can't take it personally. You just keep working. You nail one of them, then another, then another. Evil is like a weed. You must get out there and routinely cut it down, because it just keeps popping up. Best you can hope for is a season of peace, for a time, after an exceptional battle, in which you root out as much as is possible - getting every last piece. Alas, there will always be a seed remaining, dormant and hidden.

The world is a field of weeds, but a fire is coming. Gather the wheat into the barn. Afterwards there will be peace for a season. But for now the fire.

Peace,
- david
aka The Mountains Voice

* no peace to the wicked
John

Carnesville, GA

#7 Dec 7, 2013
tmv post wrote:
<quoted text>
TO QUOTE THE STORY:
CINCINNATI, Ohio - A Catholic priest who worked in more than a half-dozen Georgia towns is now a CONVICTED child molester in Ohio.
Rev. Robert Poandl of Fairfield-based Glenmary Home Missioners, was found GUILTY of the sex charges in federal court Friday, according to news reports out of Ohio. Poandl was convicted on one count of transportation of a minor across state lines for illicit purposes. The 72-year-old Poandl was accused of sodomizing a 10-year-old boy in a West Virginia church rectory in 1991....
<quoted text>
Some people will defend anything. Here's some "straight talk" for you: Your defense of this priest reminds me of the faithful followers of Lamar Paris, Norman Cooper and others in Blairsville. It does not matter what evidence you present. It won't even matter if you get a conviction. Evil will always defend evil.
You can't take it personally. You just keep working. You nail one of them, then another, then another. Evil is like a weed. You must get out there and routinely cut it down, because it just keeps popping up. Best you can hope for is a season of peace, for a time, after an exceptional battle, in which you root out as much as is possible - getting every last piece. Alas, there will always be a seed remaining, dormant and hidden.
The world is a field of weeds, but a fire is coming. Gather the wheat into the barn. Afterwards there will be peace for a season. But for now the fire.
Peace,
- david
aka The Mountains Voice
* no peace to the wicked
Is not Lamar funneling Norman county money ?
Christy Hall

United States

#8 Dec 20, 2013
Straight talk wrote:
I have known Father Bob since I was 5 years old as well as my 3 brothers. He worked with my parents in marriage encounter assisting couples before marriage to reduce the number of divorces these days. We spent every summer with him at his church in Blairsville doing service work which was required for the Catholic school we went to. Nor I or my 3 brothers EVER had anything at all out of the ordinary happen. He is a very good man who loves the Lord and His parishioners. he told us funny stories, took care of us when my parents traveled and he made a huge impact on my life. I have no doubt this was a fabricated story. He now suffers from cancer and I have no doubt this has hurt him beyond words.
a good Catholic man

Murphy, NC

#9 Dec 20, 2013
I, too, know Father Bob.
I've shared meals with him at my friends' homes.
He is a very good man who loves the Lord.

I'm Jewish and I was instructed by one host not to make any silly religious jokes and be "nice."
I wear a Star of David.
Immediately, Father Bob noticed the Star of David and said, "You're Jewish!" Then, he started telling me funny Catholic Jewish jokes. My friend shook her head and walked away figuring we were both hopeless.

Witch hunts are useless when a man is elderly like Father Bob. I'm sad for him.
a good Catholic man

Murphy, NC

#10 Dec 20, 2013
Straight talk wrote:
Absolutely. Part of the war against religion.
A Question

Blairsville, GA

#11 Dec 20, 2013
Straight talk wrote:
Wouldn't that be double jeopardy?
justice

Commerce, GA

#12 Dec 21, 2013
12 jurors of his peers heard all the evidence. A judge ruled.
http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php...
gay men sex club

Maysville, GA

#13 Jan 17, 2014
VATICAN CITY (AP)— A document obtained by The Associated Press on Friday shows Pope Benedict XVI defrocked nearly 400 priests over just two years for sexually molesting children.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/17/pope... |main5|dl27|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3 D431839
need to rename the church

Commerce, GA

#14 Mar 25, 2014
a gay child molester club

http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php...
Life Teen is a Catholic

Jefferson, GA

#15 Mar 26, 2014
Life Teen is a Catholic youth ministry...Life Teen International, a group focused on "leading teens closer to Christ," according to its website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Teen

I hope no one here had any contact with him.
youth counselor

Commerce, GA

#16 May 6, 2014
Posted: Tuesday, May 6th 2014 at 6:41pm
848 priests defrocked for abuse since '04
By The Associated Press

GENEVA (AP)-- The Vatican revealed Tuesday that over the past decade, it has defrocked 848 priests who raped or molested children and sanctioned another 2,572 with lesser penalties, providing the first ever breakdown of how it handled the more than 3,400 cases of abuse reported to the Holy See since 2004.

The Vatican's U.N. ambassador in Geneva, Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, released the figures during a second day of grilling by a U.N. committee monitoring implementation of the U.N. treaty against torture.

Tomasi insisted that the Holy See was only obliged to abide by the torture treaty inside the tiny Vatican City State, which has a population of only a few hundred people.

But significantly, he didn't dispute the committee's contention that sexual violence against children can be considered torture. Legal experts have said that classifying sexual abuse as torture could expose the Catholic Church to a new wave of lawsuits since torture cases in much of the world don't carry statutes of limitations.

Tomasi also provided statistics about how the Holy See has adjudicated sex abuse cases for the past decade. The Vatican in 2001 required bishops and religious superiors to forward all credible cases of abuse to Rome for review after determining that they were shuffling pedophile priests from diocese to diocese rather than subjecting them to church trials. Only in 2010 did the Vatican explicitly tell bishops and superiors to also report credible cases to police where local reporting laws require them to.

The Vatican statistics are notable in that they show how the peaks in numbers over the years - both of cases reported and sanctions meted out - roughly parallels the years in which abuse scandals were in the news. And they showed that far from diminishing in recent years, the number of cases reported annually to the Vatican has remained a fairly constant 400 or so since 2010, the last year the scandal erupted in public around the globe. These cases, however, concern mostly abuse that occurred decades ago.

The Associated Press reported in January that then-Pope Benedict XVI had defrocked 384 priests in the final two years of his pontificate, citing documentation that Tomasi's delegation had prepared for another U.N. hearing monitoring a treaty on the rights of children. That documentation matched data contained in the Vatican's statistical yearbooks.

Tomasi told the AP on Tuesday that the January figures were "incomplete" and that the data he provided to the U.N. committee Tuesday was the first ever comprehensive year-by-year breakdown of cases reported and adjudicated. The figures, however, only cover cases handled directly by the Holy See, not those handled by local diocesan tribunals, meaning the total number of sanctioned priests is likely far higher.

The data showed that since 2004, the Vatican had received some 3,400 cases, had defrocked 848 priests and sanctioned another 2,572 to lesser penalties.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
County Govt. (Jul '15) 1 hr Cochise 29
Where's Timmy ? 4 hr Rob 31
What's so difficult about the 515/Walmart inter... 7 hr Cletus Cummings 11
Places for rent. Thu Sam 18
I want potato salad Thu Sam 7
headlights on when it is raining !!!!! Nov 14 Dont Be Ridiculous 11
Texas shooting Nov 13 Sampson 77

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance