Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#43 Dec 18, 2012
Now, there's also the times where someone with a gun didn't help. Remember the Gabby Giffords shooting? There was someone with a firearm nearby.

But before we embrace Zamudio's brave intervention as proof of the value of being armed, let's hear the whole story. "I came out of that store, I clicked the safety off, and I was ready," he explained on Fox and Friends. "I had my hand on my gun. I had it in my jacket pocket here. And I came around the corner like this." Zamudio demonstrated how his shooting hand was wrapped around the weapon, poised to draw and fire. As he rounded the corner, he saw a man holding a gun. "And that's who I at first thought was the shooter," Zamudio recalled. "I told him to 'Drop it, drop it!' "

But the man with the gun wasn't the shooter. He had wrested the gun away from the shooter. "Had you shot that guy, it would have been a big, fat mess," the interviewer pointed out.

Zamudio agreed:

I was very lucky. Honestly, it was a matter of seconds. Two, maybe three seconds between when I came through the doorway and when I was laying on top of [the real shooter], holding him down. So, I mean, in that short amount of time I made a lot of really big decisions really fast.… I was really lucky.

When Zamudio was asked what kind of weapons training he'd had, he answered: "My father raised me around guns … so I'm really comfortable with them. But I've never been in the military or had any professional training. I just reacted."

The Arizona Daily Star, based on its interview with Zamudio, adds two details to the story. First, upon seeing the man with the gun, Zamudio "grabbed his arm and shoved him into a wall" before realizing he wasn't the shooter. And second, one reason why Zamudio didn't pull out his own weapon was that "he didn't want to be confused as a second gunman."
froggy

Blairsville, GA

#44 Dec 18, 2012
gamule wrote:
try putting God back into school.The boy that killed those people went through school.what are the schools teaching children.Everything on T.V. is violent or sex.everyone sends a text message now their is no real communication.So how does someone really know what is going on in ones mind
If keeping god in school will do it what happened in those churches where children were molested?
sonny

Dawsonville, GA

#45 Dec 18, 2012
Sounds like Zamudio was really rational and used his head. What’s the point of your story? He didn’t use it, and he didn’t harm anyone. I don’t want to put words in your mouth but you sound like you are against anyone having in a carry permit. One thing that doesn’t happens in the application for a permit is the absence of proof of any kind of safety training. That is a mistake and I think that should be corrected. I know the NRA followers don’t agree with that but, you have to have training to get a hunting license or to drive a car so I don’t see the harm.
gamule

Toccoa, GA

#46 Dec 18, 2012
froggy wrote:
<quoted text>If keeping god in school will do it what happened in those churches where children were molested?
I dont believe that these people that were molesting young boys were truley Godley people.Some people will use any disguise to get at our children.satin comes in all shapes
horshoe

Pendergrass, GA

#47 Dec 18, 2012
gamule wrote:
<quoted text>I dont believe that these people that were molesting young boys were truley Godley people.Some people will use any disguise to get at our children.satin comes in all shapes
Well, please tell us how you tell the godly one from ungodly?
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#48 Dec 18, 2012
sonny wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
Sounds like Zamudio was really rational and used his head. What’s the point of your story? He didn’t use it, and he didn’t harm anyone. I don’t want to put words in your mouth but you sound like you are against anyone having in a carry permit. One thing that doesn’t happens in the application for a permit is the absence of proof of any kind of safety training. That is a mistake and I think that should be corrected. I know the NRA followers don’t agree with that but, you have to have training to get a hunting license or to drive a car so I don’t see the harm.
Nope, not against cancelled carry, just against the notion that more guns will reduce gun crime.

The point to the story was that, yes, Zamudio did act rationally, but it could've just as likely gone the other way. More guns in the hands of more people does not increase the likelihood of more rational action. And while your call for safety training may seem reasonable, the training that would be performed pales in comparison to the training available to professionals - and they never shoot the wrong folks do they.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php
...Some sheriff's offices may offer a free public handgun course. It is recommend you take it as the deputies who teach the class will go over gun safety, proper loading, unloading techniques, proper carrying and drawing techniques, explanation of the firearm laws and use of deadly force laws, and range time to practice with your carry weapon.
sonny

Dawsonville, GA

#49 Dec 19, 2012
I taught a class myself, and was a merit badge examiner for the Boy Scouts. My wife took a class here from Sonny Colwell before she obtained her carry permit. We practice what we preach.
sonny

Dawsonville, GA

#50 Dec 19, 2012
Take a look at this prevention and read what properly armed citizens can prevent

http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/how-to-stop-the-sl...
happy

Homer, GA

#51 Dec 19, 2012
gamule

Toccoa, GA

#52 Dec 19, 2012
horshoe wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, please tell us how you tell the godly one from ungodly?
the word says that you know a tree by its fruits
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#53 Dec 20, 2012
happy wrote:
http://www.wnd.com/2007/04/411 96/
Below is from your referenced article, no where does it speak of the measures taken to enforce the law, nor does it provide any information on complience, yet it hails the law as the source of reduced crime.

Do you think there's a logical fallacy in the premise of the article.
In March 1982, 25 years ago, the small town of Kennesaw – responding to a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Ill.– unanimously passed an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun. Since then, despite dire predictions of “Wild West” showdowns and increased violence and accidents, not a single resident has been involved in a fatal shooting – as a victim, attacker or defender.

The crime rate initially plummeted for several years after the passage of the ordinance, with the 2005 per capita crime rate actually significantly lower than it was in 1981, the year before passage of the law.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#54 Dec 20, 2012
sonny wrote:
I taught a class myself, and was a merit badge examiner for the Boy Scouts. My wife took a class here from Sonny Colwell before she obtained her carry permit. We practice what we preach.
Do you consider this to be comparable to the training received by professionals?
sonny

Dawsonville, GA

#56 Dec 20, 2012
I don't understand what you are asking? Are you questioning Sonny Colwell of the UCSD as not being a professional? Or maybe mine with my military training or six years employment at peck-a-way gun club? I never was ordained as a professional but I am ready to publish a book on guns and hunting.
Why do you always try to belittle other posters? I think you must be intelligent but your demeaning others takes away from your posts
happy

Homer, GA

#57 Dec 20, 2012
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Below is from your referenced article, no where does it speak of the measures taken to enforce the law, nor does it provide any information on complience, yet it hails the law as the source of reduced crime.
Do you think there's a logical fallacy in the premise of the article.
In March 1982, 25 years ago, the small town of Kennesaw – responding to a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Ill.– unanimously passed an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun. Since then, despite dire predictions of “Wild West” showdowns and increased violence and accidents, not a single resident has been involved in a fatal shooting – as a victim, attacker or defender.
The crime rate initially plummeted for several years after the passage of the ordinance, with the 2005 per capita crime rate actually significantly lower than it was in 1981, the year before passage of the law.
Well, the crime rate went down, so the desired effect was achieved whether it was due to enforcement of the law or due to the criminals not willing to take a chance on being shot.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#58 Dec 20, 2012
sonny wrote:
I don't understand what you are asking? Are you questioning Sonny Colwell of the UCSD as not being a professional? Or maybe mine with my military training or six years employment at peck-a-way gun club? I never was ordained as a professional but I am ready to publish a book on guns and hunting.
Why do you always try to belittle other posters? I think you must be intelligent but your demeaning others takes away from your posts
Here I posted an excerpt that refers to the suggestion of taking "a" handgun course in conjunction with obtaining a concealed carry permit.

...Some sheriff's offices may offer a free public handgun course. It is recommend you take it as the deputies who teach the class will go over gun safety, proper loading, unloading techniques, proper carrying and drawing techniques, explanation of the firearm laws and use of deadly force laws, and range time to practice with your carry weapon.
Here you replied that you taught "a" class, and that your wife took "a" class.

To which I asked, "Do you consider this to be comparable to the training received by professionals?".

This does not question any individual's professionalism as an instructor, but instead questions the level of training being received by the person seeking to carry a concealed weapon. Does "a" single course make a person as qualified as a person who carries a gun as part of their profession?

You appear to want more people to carry weapons, I'm questioning the commitment to training these gun-totters (in a state that requires no training to obtain a permit) and keeping them qualified.

Here's something else to ponder, should there be specific liability insurance required for the holder of a concealed carry permit.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#59 Dec 20, 2012
happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the crime rate went down, so the desired effect was achieved whether it was due to enforcement of the law or due to the criminals not willing to take a chance on being shot.
Then you agree that the article merely speculates as to why there was a drop in the crime rate.
happy

Homer, GA

#60 Dec 21, 2012
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you agree that the article merely speculates as to why there was a drop in the crime rate.
There is proof that there was a law. I don't know if there is proof of enforcement of the law or not. The article doesn't really say. So I suppose it could be just the law, and not enforcement of the law, that caused the crime rate to go down.
sonny

Blairsville, GA

#61 Dec 21, 2012
What do you consider a professional? I learned years ago that you can be a ditch digger and be really good at it I respect you for that. I have more respect for someone that came up through the ranks over a person that was handed life on a silver platter. The silver platter people always seem to have that air of being better than me and that turns me off.
There is no requirement for any kind of training in order to obtain a carry permit in Georgia. The hunter safety course required by everyone obtaining a hunting license was, and is a great idea for Georgia citizens. It sure is better than a system where a person not familiar with firearms at all can achieve a carry permit as long as he has a clean record and is mentally stable. But either way with some nut shooting everybody in sight I wouldn’t ask for credentials I would just be glad someone was there to stop him.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#62 Dec 21, 2012
sonny wrote:
What do you consider a professional?
I learned years ago that you can be a ditch digger and be really good at it I respect you for that. I have more respect for someone that came up through the ranks over a person that was handed life on a silver platter. The silver platter people always seem to have that air of being better than me and that turns me off.

There is no requirement for any kind of training in order to obtain a carry permit in Georgia. The hunter safety course required by everyone obtaining a hunting license was, and is a great idea for Georgia citizens. It sure is better than a system where a person not familiar with firearms at all can achieve a carry permit as long as he has a clean record and is mentally stable. But either way with some nut shooting everybody in sight I wouldn’t ask for credentials I would just be glad someone was there to stop him.
Within the context of this discussion who would be a professional who totes a gun?

Do these professionals receive a higher level of training then the safety course you are advocating?

Are these professionals required to take continuing education and qualify on a periodic basis?

Are these professionals covered by liability insurance by their employers?

To anyone advocating pushing more guns into the public space, shouldn't those who carry meet a higher standard then what is currently required in this state?
sonny

Blairsville, GA

#63 Dec 22, 2012
I'm convinced you just love to mouth off.Nothing constructive in that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
florida 25 min Mary 34
Ban Flights Now 9 hr Opie 41
Isn't politics ineresting 9 hr ACOG 15
Obama: "If Michelle Nunn Wins, That Means Democ... 11 hr XYZ 2
Bicycles 18 hr Republican 8
End of Days 20 hr Barter 3
tanyard aprtments (Jan '11) Tue Robin 39

Blairsville News Video

Blairsville Dating
Find my Match