Are Union County Schools SAFE?

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Concerned Parent

Dawsonville, GA

#1 Dec 15, 2012
As a parent of a kindergarten student at Union County Primary School, I'm concerned. After seeing the horrible news Friday of the shooting at a Connecticut elementary school..I am very worried about our schools safety. I asked my child what do they do if there is any emergencies and responded with "I don't know." Also when I pick up my child from school they do not ask for any kind of ID to verify who I am. I've had 2 different people pick up my child and as long as they were on a "list" they didn't have to show an ID. How do they know they are who they say they are?! We need to put more safety in our schools to protect our children.
concerned parent

Young Harris, GA

#2 Dec 15, 2012
The school's safety worries me as well. I think it would be better if employees only were allowed to enter the main school. Most parents feel they should be allowed to walk down the hall to their child's classroom, volunteer, eat lunch with their child, etc. But in all honesty, how do we know these parents are not some psyho that is carrying a gun and will go crazy while in the building. I think the day has come when the schools should be more restricted to visitors, except in the reception area. The good parents don't want to hear this, but how can you tell which is which? Just because you think, you are safe, other parents may not want you around their children. Parents should not be wondering around on the playgrounds. Think about it!

Since: Oct 11

not flarda

#3 Dec 15, 2012
From what I hear them schools is already alot like prisons. I reckin the schools here has security guards that are armed, which is good. They should require most of the teachers to have some kind of defense training, whether it be psychology training, martial arts, or firearms training. If the little shets that do stuff like this know there will be people who will fight them back I'd guess they would think twice before they do it. Parents need to be MORE involved in their childs schooling, that right there is the biggest part of the problem, alot of parents think the schools job is to raise their kids for them.
Concerned Parent

Dawsonville, GA

#4 Dec 15, 2012
concerned parent wrote:
The school's safety worries me as well. I think it would be better if employees only were allowed to enter the main school. Most parents feel they should be allowed to walk down the hall to their child's classroom, volunteer, eat lunch with their child, etc. But in all honesty, how do we know these parents are not some psyho that is carrying a gun and will go crazy while in the building. I think the day has come when the schools should be more restricted to visitors, except in the reception area. The good parents don't want to hear this, but how can you tell which is which? Just because you think, you are safe, other parents may not want you around their children. Parents should not be wondering around on the playgrounds. Think about it!
I agree. It's only a matter of time before something happens..whether it is a kidnapping, shooting, ANYTHING is possible and the safety of our children should be taken seriously & the truth is Union County schools are FAR from being SAFE!
horshoe

Jefferson, GA

#5 Dec 15, 2012
No, our schools are not safe. Newtown is a town with less social problems and many fewer guns than Blairsville. The school was locked up tight and police would have been very well trained professionals just moments away rather than scattered across a geographicaly large county. Believe me, if it can happen in Newtown, CT it could happen here. Our schools are not locked except at night.
Georgia Idiots

Dawsonville, GA

#7 Dec 15, 2012
Slowpoks Boy wrote:
From what I hear them schools is already alot like prisons. I reckin the schools here has security guards that are armed, which is good. They should require most of the teachers to have some kind of defense training, whether it be psychology training, martial arts, or firearms training. If the little shets that do stuff like this know there will be people who will fight them back I'd guess they would think twice before they do it. Parents need to be MORE involved in their childs schooling, that right there is the biggest part of the problem, alot of parents think the schools job is to raise their kids for them.
I have not seen security at the schools through the day...??
Remembers

Douglas, GA

#8 Dec 16, 2012
horshoe wrote:
No, our schools are not safe. Newtown is a town with less social problems and many fewer guns than Blairsville. The school was locked up tight and police would have been very well trained professionals just moments away rather than scattered across a geographicaly large county. Believe me, if it can happen in Newtown, CT it could happen here. Our schools are not locked except at night.
You list how Newtown was locked up tight yet the killer still got in and did this carnage. All you've done is prove that whatever the security arrangement is, any venue that deals with the general public is vulnerable to this kind of attack. The real answer is that the teachers should be allowed to conceal carry. A gun free zone is a safe criminal zone. Prisons have the tightest security available and yet they can't keep illicit drugs out. As Newtown demonstrates, the problem clearly is not security. The problem is people and lack of appropriate defense.
Concerned Parent

Dawsonville, GA

#9 Dec 16, 2012
The problem is there is absolutely NO SECURITY of ANY KIND here in Union County Schools!...There are schools all over the country including Georgia reassuring parents that there will be extra security in case of a copy cat. I've not heard ONE thing about our schools! Yes, even if there is security it could happen, but if there was a couple officers patrolling the schools I don't think it would hurt.I would feel a lot more comfortable taking my child to school and knowing & seeing that someone is there patrolling the area.
Luca Brasi

Dahlonega, GA

#10 Dec 16, 2012
The answer to the question is, NO. No school is safe unless you put police officers at every entrance. If that is not possible, then take a survey of every school employee and ask them if they would feel safer for themselves and the students if they were armed? If so, have those employees obtain a concealed weapons permit, and require semi-annual firearms training and live shooting. All teachers in Israel are armed and it is not at all unusual to see armed teachers in the playground. When more law abiding citizens are armed these types of tragedies will quickly decrease.
Think

Dahlonega, GA

#11 Dec 16, 2012
Concerned Parent: I don't know where you get your information. You say there is " no security of any kind." You are wrong. I happen to know that at the high school, doors are locked, except at the main offices. There are security cameras and security guards. Also, all gates are closed and locked, except for the main gate, keeping entry and exit to/from campus to one gate. The security guards and police cover the entire UC Schools campus. Just because You haven't seen them doesn't mean that they aren't there.
Concerned Parent

Dawsonville, GA

#12 Dec 16, 2012
.. What about the Primary?? Also I'd like to add, I have a sibling that goes to the High School and they leave when ever they want to, so all gates ARE NOT locked! So, I don't know where you're getting YOUR information. I know for a fact that not only the "main office" is open because you can go in at the opposite side of the building where students park to get into the "attendance office"! So which high school are you talking about?
Think

Dahlonega, GA

#13 Dec 16, 2012
I cannot speak for the Primary school. The attendance office is one of the main offices; that's why the door is unlocked. The students have to be able to get to the gymn. Your sibling must leave through the main gate. Security has nothing to do with students leaving without permission. I personally think a checkpoint at the main gate would be great, but then people would complain about taxes paying for another person. I get my information from the fact that I work there! There is no need to be hateful. I was simply explaining. I guess you don't want answers; you just want to complain.
Concerned Parent

Dawsonville, GA

#14 Dec 16, 2012
For one I'm not being hateful. Just from my child attending the primary school and a sibling in high school and my friends children in middle schools, I don't think they are all safe. If a child can leave the school to go else where to eat lunch or skip school or anything that shows the school is not protected or strict enough. They should have someone at each gate patrolling who is coming in and out of our children schools. I'm a nervous wreck sending my child to school tomorrow because there are so many crazy people that see the publicity that this killer is getting on TV and think they should do it too or something or as the news calls it a "copy cat". I love union county and love to have my child attending school here but I think we could do a little better with safety.
Think

Dahlonega, GA

#15 Dec 16, 2012
I understand! I have children in the school system, as well. I think our whole country is going to be very uneasy for a long time. The whole situation is scary. Hopefully, this will cause all school systems (and businesses, too) to take a closer look at how we can do a better job with security. I just don't know, though, what could've been done in this case. There are some crazies out there! Hug your child(ren) closer, Mama!

Since: Oct 11

not flarda

#16 Dec 16, 2012
Y'all are missing it entirely. No amount of security can eliminate this threat BUT if these deranged lunatics knew that at least part of the school staff were trained in defense situations and/or armed they would think twice before being stupid. The adults of this country need to be PARENTS to their children, not friends. Spend time with them, teach them right from wrong. This is YOUR responsibility, not the schools or teachers.
Think

Dahlonega, GA

#17 Dec 16, 2012
Very good points! Agreed.
horshoe

Jefferson, GA

#18 Dec 16, 2012
Remembers wrote:
<quoted text>
You list how Newtown was locked up tight yet the killer still got in and did this carnage. All you've done is prove that whatever the security arrangement is, any venue that deals with the general public is vulnerable to this kind of attack. The real answer is that the teachers should be allowed to conceal carry. A gun free zone is a safe criminal zone. Prisons have the tightest security available and yet they can't keep illicit drugs out. As Newtown demonstrates, the problem clearly is not security. The problem is people and lack of appropriate defense.
VERY FOOLISH POST. I bet the locked door bought some valuable time and may have saved this from being even worse..scary but highly possible.
Let's guess there are maybe 100,000 schools in this coutry, though I would suspect there are many more than that. Can you imagine how many deaths we would have every year with 100,000-300,000 armed people in schools! Accidents, stupidity, those people "loosing it". I bet we end up with more deaths than the 30-40 we get a year now with MILLIONS of school age kids in the USA.

There are no sure bets..best we can do in a free armed society is make it harder for these idiots while not causing more danger. I would not mind an armed POLICE officer in every school, one who is a full time professional with close monitors on their mental health,,still not sure even that would mean less deaths of innocent kids...100,000 more armed people, even cops will mean a few accidents and incidents for sure.
Oh my

Young Harris, GA

#19 Dec 16, 2012
Yeah,
arm the teachers,
until one of them snaps.

Maybe,
just maybe,
this is the price we pay
for glorifying violence.
LE retired

Commerce, GA

#20 Dec 16, 2012
Homeschool if you are that worried.

These "concerned parents" likely don't supervise what their children watch on TV, let them own cell phones and use the internet, and I'll bet you almost every little boy has been given a toy gun for a birthday or Christmas.

There is security at the schools. The sheriff's office is around the corner and there is also a school security officer. I would imagine the schools also have hall monitors.
froggy

Dawsonville, GA

#21 Dec 16, 2012
These are the same folks that were being reviled as being over paid prior to the election. Now they are good enough to be paid commandos to guard the children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
massage parlor in Blue Ridge 2 hr Al Gore 1
Where's Timmy ? 2 hr MMAFIGHTER 33
What's so difficult about the 515/Walmart inter... Fri Dependant 12
County Govt. (Jul '15) Fri Cochise 29
Places for rent. Nov 16 Sam 18
I want potato salad Nov 16 Sam 7
headlights on when it is raining !!!!! Nov 14 Dont Be Ridiculous 11

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance