Blairsville Drug Court
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Drug Court

Jefferson, GA

#1 Jan 9, 2014
Do you think its a good thing that Blairsville has their very own Drug Court? Last Thursday, they sent 10 people to jail, mainly for missing their drug screens by minuets. Is it hurting, or helping? You tell me. The court system in this county is so ran by the "Good 'ol Boys" and if the defendent trys to use their constitutional right, and take their case to trial ,they will be convicted 97% of the time, innocent or not. They will be given the maximum sentance as a punishment for not taking A.D.A. Cathy Cox-Brakefields' ridiculous plea offer and be sent to prison. If they accept her "hot offer" these days they will be sentanced to drug court with the maximum amount of probation allowed by law to follow. If they are able to comply with the strigent regulations associated with drug court, which by national average has a success rate of nearly a whole 10%, and complete their probation successfully, they might get thier prize at the end of the rainbow, of a drug conviction off their record. So all in all, 90% of the people that even dare an attempt at drug court will still end up in the prison system with no fair trial and will still end up doing more time than if they didn't take the deal.
fl guy

Jefferson, GA

#2 Jan 9, 2014
GOOD LUCK!
ohwlll

Dawsonville, GA

#3 Jan 10, 2014
Well, don't do drugs and don't hang around with lowlifes who do drugs and this is not a problem. Seriously, life is hard enough with out using illegal drugs. I don't has a lot of sympathy for people who make these choices.
this guy

Cornelia, GA

#4 Jan 10, 2014
do you think i just woke up one day and said hey let me get addicted to heroin? It doesn't happen like that. i would bet that you have someone in your family that has an addiction problem, it may not be with drugs, maybe it's food or women, maybe its money.. their all addictions and i'm the one that's looked down upon because mine happens to be drugs.
Sid

Dahlonega, GA

#5 Jan 10, 2014
People have to have food . Real men want a woman . Everyone wants money . No one has to have illegal drugs .
trail90

Blue Ridge, GA

#6 Jan 10, 2014
Sid wrote:
People have to have food . Real men want a woman . Everyone wants money . No one has to have illegal drugs .
and all of them are legal

“Skin a Floridian”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#7 Jan 10, 2014
fl guy wrote:
GOOD LUCK!
That's kind of a sad thing to say as your Floridian kind are the blame for 2 thirds of the drugs smuggled into the states and sold. You just an ole Florida thing.
Snowflake

Atlanta, GA

#8 Jan 10, 2014
First of all so I am not confused with being part of the big boy system let me say this, I have no use for Cathy Cox-Brakefield. I have worked with her professionally and find her to be unprofessional and believe she puts convictions above rights, meaning she doesn't care if somebody is innocent she wants a conviction. I think one day she is going to get a CI killed, but this is all a story for another day.
Drug Court is a great program. Yes, it's strict, very strict, but nobody going in there is pleading innocent to a crime. The defendants are told prior to the plea offer the consequences for missing, failing, or being late to anything. If one is succeful it sure is a greatly reduced sentence. If one is not they get what they would have got to begin with. It's based on how bad you want sobriety.
I have seen many fail and many succeed. You will not convince me or anybody that has knowledge of the program that with a perfect track record and a few minutes late with a legit excuse that you were sent off.
Snowflake

Atlanta, GA

#9 Jan 10, 2014
P.S. You have a right to a fair trial and with a jury trial it's kind of hard to say it's not fair. You took the offer, if you were innocent you should have taken it to trial.
Truth be told you were most likely guilty and now it's time to pay the piper.

“Skin a Floridian”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#11 Jan 11, 2014
Snowflake wrote:
First of all so I am not confused with being part of the big boy system let me say this, I have no use for Cathy Cox-Brakefield. I have worked with her professionally and find her to be unprofessional and believe she puts convictions above rights, meaning she doesn't care if somebody is innocent she wants a conviction. I think one day she is going to get a CI killed, but this is all a story for another day.
Drug Court is a great program. Yes, it's strict, very strict, but nobody going in there is pleading innocent to a crime. The defendants are told prior to the plea offer the consequences for missing, failing, or being late to anything. If one is succeful it sure is a greatly reduced sentence. If one is not they get what they would have got to begin with. It's based on how bad you want sobriety.
I have seen many fail and many succeed. You will not convince me or anybody that has knowledge of the program that with a perfect track record and a few minutes late with a legit excuse that you were sent off.
Another time/day is here. lets have the word on ( CI ) maby being killed.
Snowflake

Columbus, GA

#12 Jan 11, 2014
You don't need my thoughts on it and I do not know any that have been killed. Do your research every drug bust unless it's a random pull over has a CI involved. Now you tell me how safe it is for the CI? It's not. They don't bring down the drug dealers, they use CI's making them moving targets, they just make the arrest.
APB

Hoschton, GA

#13 Jan 11, 2014
This is a very interesting Post. For those that are making comments that have not had dealings with this circuit, let me ask you to go and sit in on a few cases and follow them to the very end.

Many that are put in drug Court have never done drugs in their lives. That is a Plea deal that is created by the DA. You are confused if you really believe that Drug Court is for those that are guilty of using Drugs.. That is NOT what its about. Its about money. See they have to pay to attend the court, pay for the drug test, pay a fine. Tally that up and mult by the many forced to take pleas and its a pretty penny.. Secondly, dont it make one wonder who actually gets those funds. Request that information and you will see.. Some money there some not.

And to the one that says demand a Jury Trial. Well, I challenge you to go and chose one case and follow it to the end. NO ONE gets a jury trial. They are threatened within their lives should they opt for a trial. For those that actually believe that your Constitutional right to a fair and imparcel jury is still alive in this circuit I challenge you, go to the court and follow a case. And the Innocent until proven Guilty does not exist. You are guilty period. The burden of proof according the US Constitution is on the State NOT the defendant, however that does not exist here.

With all of this said, After you go and experience what happens in this Judicial Circuit I look forward to continuing this discussion.

As it has been relayed, the Chief Public Defender in this circuit states that " There are no Bill of Rights and the US Constitution means NOTHING. He goes on to say that approximately 70% of those that go to jail in this jurisdiction are innocent. That is from one within the court system. With that admission please do not judge those that make comments. Please make the effort to help them make a change within this circuit BEFORE IT HAPPENS TO YOU.. There is only one small thing separating you from them... THE CAUGHT AND UNCAUGHT. jmo
Rich Golfer

Murphy, NC

#14 Jan 11, 2014
70% that go to jail are innocent.
What are you smoking?

I'm real familiar with the judicial system, drug-related crimes, and it sounds to me like you protest too much. What? You or a loved one get nailed or are you co-dependent enough not to believe the truth?

I've heard it all before. Always someone else that caused the problem. The cop, the judge, the court, the probation officer, and the list goes on.
Law Abiding Citizen

Commerce, GA

#15 Jan 11, 2014
Drug Court is a second chance for people who have had legal trouble with drugs. It's a choice to attend the drug court program, and I think it should be a very rigorous program. Why should the "Good Ol' Boys" take it easy on them when they should be legally serving jail time for their drug crime(s) in the first place? Only 10% of the drug participants successfully complete the program? Good, that means the other 90% that couldn't follow the court's regulations are sitting in jail... which is exactly where they need to be. I'm an officer and work alongside druggies and drug dealers every day and they certainly don't need to be treated like victims.
As for the people in Drug Court, if they fail their drug test... that means they aren't committed to following the laws and they deserve to sit in jail.
So I guess I don't understand why it's the mean old Drug Court that is getting shamed by you rather than the criminals that refuse to take the second chance the court tries to give them.
Been There

Commerce, GA

#16 Jan 11, 2014
APB you are either full of crap or stupidity! It is not a plea deal for the DA. The DA's office has very little to do with it. I actually have been there from beginning to end, and nothing you have said is even close to being true. It is a second chance for someone who would rather be in treatment than in prison for something they have committed. Would you rather these people be working and in treatment, or would you rather be paying tax dollars to keep them in jail or prison BECAUSE OF SOMETHING THEY DID WRONG!

I would not continue a conversation with you because you apparently do not have enough morals, scruples or brain cells to carry on an truthful and informed conversation.
Been There

Commerce, GA

#17 Jan 11, 2014
APB wrote:
This is a very interesting Post. For those that are making comments that have not had dealings with this circuit, let me ask you to go and sit in on a few cases and follow them to the very end.
Many that are put in drug Court have never done drugs in their lives. That is a Plea deal that is created by the DA. You are confused if you really believe that Drug Court is for those that are guilty of using Drugs.. That is NOT what its about. Its about money. See they have to pay to attend the court, pay for the drug test, pay a fine. Tally that up and mult by the many forced to take pleas and its a pretty penny.. Secondly, dont it make one wonder who actually gets those funds. Request that information and you will see.. Some money there some not.
And to the one that says demand a Jury Trial. Well, I challenge you to go and chose one case and follow it to the end. NO ONE gets a jury trial. They are threatened within their lives should they opt for a trial. For those that actually believe that your Constitutional right to a fair and imparcel jury is still alive in this circuit I challenge you, go to the court and follow a case. And the Innocent until proven Guilty does not exist. You are guilty period. The burden of proof according the US Constitution is on the State NOT the defendant, however that does not exist here.
With all of this said, After you go and experience what happens in this Judicial Circuit I look forward to continuing this discussion.
As it has been relayed, the Chief Public Defender in this circuit states that " There are no Bill of Rights and the US Constitution means NOTHING. He goes on to say that approximately 70% of those that go to jail in this jurisdiction are innocent. That is from one within the court system. With that admission please do not judge those that make comments. Please make the effort to help them make a change within this circuit BEFORE IT HAPPENS TO YOU.. There is only one small thing separating you from them... THE CAUGHT AND UNCAUGHT. jmo
APB you are either full of crap or stupidity! It is not a plea deal for the DA. The DA's office has very little to do with it. I actually have been there from beginning to end, and nothing you have said is even close to being true. It is a second chance for someone who would rather be in treatment than in prison for something they have committed. Would you rather these people be working and in treatment, or would you rather be paying tax dollars to keep them in jail or prison BECAUSE OF SOMETHING THEY DID WRONG!

I would not continue a conversation with you because you apparently do not have enough morals, scruples or brain cells to carry on an truthful and informed conversation.
APB

Hoschton, GA

#18 Jan 11, 2014
Sorry you dont have a clue, however those that voted for _______ dont either..

some people cant accept the facts.

jmo
APB

Hoschton, GA

#19 Jan 11, 2014
Rich Golfer wrote:
70% that go to jail are innocent.
What are you smoking?
I'm real familiar with the judicial system, drug-related crimes, and it sounds to me like you protest too much. What? You or a loved one get nailed or are you co-dependent enough not to believe the truth?
I've heard it all before. Always someone else that caused the problem. The cop, the judge, the court, the probation officer, and the list goes on.
I would not have believed the number to be that high either, however I have a tape with the Chief Public Defender stating that.. I quoted him word for word. And I am assuming he would know.

Maybe not.. Maybe you know better than he.
APB

Hoschton, GA

#20 Jan 11, 2014
Been There wrote:
<quoted text>
Nop, I expect people to be non-believers. No need to shoot the messenger. I have factual evidence. It is what is.. denial or not.
APB

Hoschton, GA

#21 Jan 11, 2014
Law Abiding Citizen wrote:
Drug Court is a second chance for people who have had legal trouble with drugs. It's a choice to attend the drug court program, and I think it should be a very rigorous program. Why should the "Good Ol' Boys" take it easy on them when they should be legally serving jail time for their drug crime(s) in the first place? Only 10% of the drug participants successfully complete the program? Good, that means the other 90% that couldn't follow the court's regulations are sitting in jail... which is exactly where they need to be. I'm an officer and work alongside druggies and drug dealers every day and they certainly don't need to be treated like victims.
As for the people in Drug Court, if they fail their drug test... that means they aren't committed to following the laws and they deserve to sit in jail.
So I guess I don't understand why it's the mean old Drug Court that is getting shamed by you rather than the criminals that refuse to take the second chance the court tries to give them.
It is for some and works out well for some.. that is a true statement.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump meets his boss, Vladimir Putin 10 hr dgd478 9
Worst steak ever. What happened Horrible cust... 12 hr monkeyboy 15
full eclipse 15 hr Dwayne 8
Rib Country Waitress Jul 22 really 115
Colwell Detention Center (Oct '11) Jul 22 Des 62
need "good" heating and air conditioning service (Sep '09) Jul 21 Coralou Bramblett 54
Coosa Heights trailer park Jul 19 He said she said 7

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blairsville Mortgages