First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Northern man

Madison, WI

#1 Aug 9, 2012
How welcome are northerners in the area?I'm thinking about relocating.
MOuntain BEavis

Dawsonville, GA

#2 Aug 9, 2012
Read topix and you'll see.
My Opinion FWIW

Jefferson, GA

#3 Aug 9, 2012
Northern man wrote:
How welcome are northerners in the area?I'm thinking about relocating.
All things considered, I think you'd be welcomed. It's a great place and it's getting better as some of the Old Guard are losing their grip on the county. That's what has many upset about new blood coming in. However, even those elitists like the economy that retirees bring, especially the ones in the Old Guard since they are the ones that have used their connections with local companies to profit from the people moving into the area. The new blood, increasing every year, welcomes more new blood.
Northern man

Madison, WI

#4 Aug 9, 2012
I've read some of your Topix,seems like a couple of unhappy people out there.
Bee Bob

Birmingham, AL

#5 Aug 9, 2012
Good luck, The locals don't care for outsiders. In fact most locals don't even care for other locals!
My Opinion FWIW

Jefferson, GA

#6 Aug 9, 2012
Northern man wrote:
I've read some of your Topix,seems like a couple of unhappy people out there.
The county is going through a transition, just like many rural counties in Georgia are going through. Some closer to Atlanta have already gone through the transition. Move-ins tend to have more independent thought. They usually aren't beholden for financial security to the individuals that have been running the county (in and out of government). Also, they usually don't judge a person's character just by how much money the person has. There are disgruntled people who want it to stay the way it was (except, of course, the money that comes in from the move-ins.).

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#7 Aug 9, 2012
I think I have seen this topix discussed before. Hope it has a better outcome than the last time.
Amos_1

Dawsonville, GA

#8 Aug 9, 2012

Deja vu......

Welcome

Dawsonville, GA

#9 Aug 9, 2012
My Opinion FWIW wrote:
<quoted text>
The county is going through a transition, just like many rural counties in Georgia are going through. Some closer to Atlanta have already gone through the transition. Move-ins tend to have more independent thought. They usually aren't beholden for financial security to the individuals that have been running the county (in and out of government). Also, they usually don't judge a person's character just by how much money the person has. There are disgruntled people who want it to stay the way it was (except, of course, the money that comes in from the move-ins.).
Not true.
Nothing much is happening, except the old guard has made the area nicer for the move-ins.
These comments show the other side of the coin.
Most people here love the town and enjoy all the great improvements in the area thanks to our commish. Those people who are running the county have stepped up and made marvelous improvements.
People who post the above type comments are the ones who want things to stay the same, have nothing but resentment, and know little about how most people really feel.
I'm sure ACOG and others will chime in on how much tax dollars were spent making improvements. They always do. Don't pay them no heed.
Northern man

Madison, WI

#10 Aug 9, 2012
I'ved work hard all my life,have never had help,grew my own gardens,hunted own food and fished for food.Just want to slow down a little and relax with small town friends.
My Opinion FWIW

Jefferson, GA

#11 Aug 9, 2012
Welcome wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing much is happening, except the old guard has made the area nicer for the move-ins.
People who post the above type comments are the ones who want things to stay the same, have nothing but resentment, and know little about how most people really feel.
Two comments:

(1) The short-term improvements have come at the expense of long-term debt that threatens to harm the lifestyle of the average taxpayer in the county. Most of the debt will hit the fan after the current leadership is gone. That may be the plan -- only show the short-term results of deficit spending, such as buildings, etc., to hold on to power and ignore any county improvements that occur over a longer period of time because they don't have immediate political benefits. However, if you like Obama's philosophy of spending, then you'll be fine with the current leadership.

(2) The majority of those that don't like the way business has been conducted since the Dark Ages sincerely love the county and wish it the best and are striving to make it better as more people become informed and involved.
Goofer

Jefferson, GA

#12 Aug 9, 2012
Come on down and bring money. The banks and govt. took all of ours. If you see an old bald headed A Hole running around shaking everyone's hand ignore him. he's the King and if you aren't careful he will pick your pocket while he is shaking your hand. Can't do anything to stop him cause he is the King.
My Opinion FWIW

Jefferson, GA

#13 Aug 9, 2012
Northern man wrote:
I'ved work hard all my life,have never had help,grew my own gardens,hunted own food and fished for food.Just want to slow down a little and relax with small town friends.
You'll love it. There some real good small town people here. However, I imagine that your friends will be those that have moved in with like values as yours. The locals tend to stay among other locals. Many are relatives and/or childhood friends. The locals know what they can say about other locals because they know who is kin to whom -- whether it be by blood or by marriage. Therefore, they can talk more freely about events in the county, etc. The locals tend to associate with locals while the move-ins tend to associate with the move-ins. That's true in every county that's rural, not just Union County. I love the county and you'll like it to. You'll find plenty of move-ins with similar hopes and dreams you have. There are some good people in the county -- locals and move-ins. I highly recommend the county, both for what it is and what it can become.
Hannah

Buford, GA

#14 Aug 9, 2012
Your attorney should recommend a title insurance company. Get a preliminary contract if you are not going through a realor for the conditions you want to make the purchase on and you can or cannot pay a down payment. Then choose your attorney. I am assuming you want to make a purchase outside of a bank.
Northern man wrote:
Troll Man

Blairsville, GA

#15 Aug 9, 2012
Northern man wrote:
If you want to fit in, you'll fit in, if you want to be an obnoxious jerk, you'll be an obnoxious jerk. It mostly depends on you and your attitude.

There is some divisiveness between move-ins and locals, but each side at times is at fault.

If you start every conversation with "this is how we did it back home" you'll probably be ostracized. But if you listen and show interest in the people and the community, you'll be O.K. Yes, we talk funny down here, and so do you. No, most natives don't wear shorts with black socks and sandals, so that is a dead giveaway. No, we don't all wear overalls, marry our cousins, have no teeth and go shoeless. Yes, sometimes we do drink illegal moonshine.(We understand you Northerners make some good homemade brandy, bring it along and we might do some trading.)

No, all the county and city officials are not corrupt like you read on Topix. Yes, we have a number of naysayers that hate everything about our community. Most are crazy in the head, think they are prophets assigned by The Mountain, or are mad because they didn't get their ditch cleaned out.

Come and join us. There are plenty of foreclosures for sale. Plenty of hunting and fishing opportunities available - about half the land here is Forest Service or TVA land.
Northern man

Madison, WI

#16 Aug 9, 2012
That's what I like to hear,fishing,hunting and a good time
Amos_1

Dawsonville, GA

#17 Aug 9, 2012
Northern man wrote:
That's what I like to hear,fishing,hunting and a good time

Youse might can get in some ice fishing if'en youse can break through some of the ice bs here.

Welcome

Dawsonville, GA

#18 Aug 9, 2012
Goofer wrote:
Come on down and bring money. The banks and govt. took all of ours. If you see an old bald headed A Hole running around shaking everyone's hand ignore him. he's the King and if you aren't careful he will pick your pocket while he is shaking your hand. Can't do anything to stop him cause he is the King.
These comments are limited to TOPIX.
I never hear people in the community complain like people do here.
You will fit in if you want to. Lots of people don't care and don't want to. It's your choice. I was welcomed and have fit in nicely.
The area is beautiful.
Lots to do for outdoorsman.
The attorneys in town are as good as anywhere else. I've NEVER had a problem.
Come on down.
Welcome

Dawsonville, GA

#19 Aug 9, 2012
Amos_1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Youse might can get in some ice fishing if'en youse can break through some of the ice bs here.
True.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#20 Aug 9, 2012
Amos_1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Slow is that you again?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary Clinton for President ! 1 hr JB Stoner 56
Polyurethane floor installer 3 hr Tanjello Fusion 5
Black Lives Matter? 3 hr J B Stoner 11
Democrat Convention in Philadelphia 5 hr Ed Anger 1
What does Blairsville need? Sat Smally Biggs 120
News KKK will rally Saturday in Blairsville (Oct '12) Sat Smally Biggs 38
Trump News! Fri Stick 20

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance