left wing right wing

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of34
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
sonny

Cleveland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/0...

This guy has the right idea what is wrong with this country and has the guts to say what he thinks.
Yep

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 11, 2013
 
Yep, you are absolutely correct. A great speech. A breath of fresh air.

If Obama cared at all about our Nation he would immediately make this man his top advisor. AND LISTEN TO HIM!

Deserves to return to top. Hope everyone would take the time to listen.
Informed Opinion

Naples, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 11, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Yep, when your born you get a health savings account.

If you are born into a rich family, you inherit $ millions and $ millions into that account - you're healthcare is free !, and continues to grow exponentially, tax free !!

What a great deal.

If you're from a poor family, you inherit squat, and guess what, there's nothing to compound; and because your family is poor,(as America has become one of the least socio-economically elastic countries in the world), you'll most probably stay poor.

When your tired of wasting money on your food and shelter, and your kids' educations, throw $8 or $10 dollars a month in that HSA. In no time at all you'll have $200 to $300 saved up for that quadruple by-pass or kidney transplant. No problem.

Rich live - poor die. A Right Wingers dream - even though its the poor and working class Right Wing that is pushing their own demise. Now that's irony.

Here's a better idea - at birth- instead of every parent giving their kid that 200 foot yacht we all give our kids - let's pass a law that says you can't give 'em those yachts - you have to give 'em HSAs.

Now don't complain, that's fair to everyone, we all trade the right to give our kids 200 foot yachts in exchange for keeping our kids alive. We are all treated equally.

Damn, hope we don't damage the 200 foot yacht business in Blairsville.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 11, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The Ignorance Caucus
By PAUL KRUGMAN
Published: February 10, 2013
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/11/opinion/kru... ;

Last week Eric Cantor, the House majority leader, gave what his office told us would be a major policy speech. And we should be grateful for the heads-up about the speechís majorness. Otherwise, a read of the speech might have suggested that he was offering nothing more than a meager, warmed-over selection of stale ideas.

To be sure, Mr. Cantor tried to sound interested in serious policy discussion. But he didnít succeed ó and that was no accident. For these days his party dislikes the whole idea of applying critical thinking and evidence to policy questions. And no, thatís not a caricature: Last year the Texas G.O.P. explicitly condemned efforts to teach ďcritical thinking skills,Ē because, it said, such efforts ďhave the purpose of challenging the studentís fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.Ē

...But Mr. Cantorís support for medical research is curiously limited. Heís all for developing new treatments, but he and his colleagues have adamantly opposed ďcomparative effectiveness research,Ē which seeks to determine how well such treatments work.

What they fear, of course, is that the people running Medicare and other government programs might use the results of such research to determine what theyíre willing to pay for. Instead, they want to turn Medicare into a voucher system and let individuals make decisions about treatment. But even if you think thatís a good idea (it isnít), how are individuals supposed to make good medical choices if we ensure that they have no idea what health benefits, if any, to expect from their choices?

...And there are many other examples, like the way House Republicans tried to suppress a Congressional Research Service report casting doubt on claims about the magical growth effects of tax cuts for the wealthy.

Do actions like this have important effects? Well, consider the agonized discussions of gun policy that followed the Newtown massacre. It would be helpful to these discussions if we had a good grasp of the facts about firearms and violence. But we donít, because back in the 1990s conservative politicians, acting on behalf of the National Rifle Association, bullied federal agencies into ceasing just about all research into the issue. Willful ignorance matters.

...The truth is that Americaís partisan divide runs much deeper than even pessimists are usually willing to admit; the parties arenít just divided on values and policy views, theyíre divided over epistemology. One side believes, at least in principle, in letting its policy views be shaped by facts; the other believes in suppressing the facts if they contradict its fixed beliefs.
Snowflake

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 11, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Yep wrote:
Yep, you are absolutely correct. A great speech. A breath of fresh air.
If Obama cared at all about our Nation he would immediately make this man his top advisor. AND LISTEN TO HIM!
Deserves to return to top. Hope everyone would take the time to listen.
Top advisor, This guy should be president! He has the RIGHT ideas!
Floridian

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 11, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Oh my wrote:
Do actions like this have important effects? Well, consider the agonized discussions of gun policy that followed the Newtown massacre. It would be helpful to these discussions if we had a good grasp of the facts about firearms and violence. But we donít, because back in the 1990s conservative politicians, acting on behalf of the National Rifle Association, bullied federal agencies into ceasing just about all research into the issue. Willful ignorance matters.
And don't forget the law they passed banning a National gun registry. Register a gun; might as well piss on a forest fire.
Informed Opinion

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 11, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Oh my wrote:
The Ignorance Caucus
By PAUL KRUGMAN
Published: February 10, 2013
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/11/opinion/kru... ;

Last week Eric Cantor, the House majority leader, gave what his office told us would be a major policy speech. And we should be grateful for the heads-up about the speech’s majorness. Otherwise, a read of the speech might have suggested that he was offering nothing more than a meager, warmed-over selection of stale ideas.

To be sure, Mr. Cantor tried to sound interested in serious policy discussion. But he didn¬ít succeed ¬ó and that was no accident. For these days his party dislikes the whole idea of applying critical thinking and evidence to policy questions. And no, that¬ís not a caricature: Last year the Texas G.O.P. explicitly condemned efforts to teach ¬ďcritical thinking skills,¬Ē because, it said, such efforts ¬ďhave the purpose of challenging the student¬ís fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.¬Ē

...But Mr. Cantor¬ís support for medical research is curiously limited. He¬ís all for developing new treatments, but he and his colleagues have adamantly opposed ¬ďcomparative effectiveness research,¬Ē which seeks to determine how well such treatments work.

What they fear, of course, is that the people running Medicare and other government programs might use the results of such research to determine what they’re willing to pay for. Instead, they want to turn Medicare into a voucher system and let individuals make decisions about treatment. But even if you think that’s a good idea (it isn’t), how are individuals supposed to make good medical choices if we ensure that they have no idea what health benefits, if any, to expect from their choices?

...And there are many other examples, like the way House Republicans tried to suppress a Congressional Research Service report casting doubt on claims about the magical growth effects of tax cuts for the wealthy.

Do actions like this have important effects? Well, consider the agonized discussions of gun policy that followed the Newtown massacre. It would be helpful to these discussions if we had a good grasp of the facts about firearms and violence. But we don’t, because back in the 1990s conservative politicians, acting on behalf of the National Rifle Association, bullied federal agencies into ceasing just about all research into the issue. Willful ignorance matters.

...The truth is that America’s partisan divide runs much deeper than even pessimists are usually willing to admit; the parties aren’t just divided on values and policy views, they’re divided over epistemology. One side believes, at least in principle, in letting its policy views be shaped by facts; the other believes in suppressing the facts if they contradict its fixed beliefs.
Great post.
Lucy

Jefferson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 11, 2013
 
Floridian wrote:
<quoted text>
And don't forget the law they passed banning a National gun registry. Register a gun; might as well piss on a forest fire.
Yes, right, DUH
Lucy

Jefferson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 11, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

As of the end of November, according to the U.S. Treasury, entities in Mainland China owned about $1,170,100,000,000 in U.S. government debt, making China the largest foreign holder of U.S. government debt.

When Obama was inaugurated in 2009, the Fed owned $475.322 billion in U.S. government debt. As of the close of business on Wednesday, Jan. 23, the Fed owned $1.696691 trillion in U.S. government debt, up $1.221369 trillion during Obama's first term.

Since Obama has been president, the publicly held portion of the U.S. government debt (as opposed to the "intragovernmental" deb the government has borrowed from federal trust funds such as the Social Security Trust Fund) has increased by $5,264,245,866,257.40. The $1.221369 in additional U.S. government debt the Fed has purchased during Obama's presidency equals 23 percent of all the new publicly held debt the Treasury has issued during that time

I know, I know, it's all Bush's fault. Ha ha. According to Obama and other Liberal loonies, we don't have a spending problem. What we really have is a lack of leadership problem because we don't have a President.
Informed Opinion

Naples, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 11, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Floridian wrote:
<quoted text>And don't forget the law they passed banning a National gun registry. Register a gun; might as well piss on a forest fire.
Just stopped by a gun show and picked up a S&W MP 15. Ammo has exploded (pun intended) in price, and all they had to sell was "Green Tip" ammo, but it didn't look legit.

Here's the scary thing.

I saw many t-shirts and posters reading

"My AK - 47 can't tell the difference between Terrorists, Commies & Liberals, and neither can I"

I don't care how Right Wing you are, seeing a guy walking out with 3 AR-15s a thousand rounds of ammo,(which he claims is legit A-P), and wearing that t-shirt,
ought to convince you that we need to re-establish an American's right to be moderates, progressives and liberals.

Some of these wackos take this stuff as real.
Ron

Jefferson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 11, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Just stopped by a gun show and picked up a S&W MP 15. Ammo has exploded (pun intended) in price, and all they had to sell was "Green Tip" ammo, but it didn't look legit.
Here's the scary thing.
I saw many t-shirts and posters reading
"My AK - 47 can't tell the difference between Terrorists, Commies & Liberals, and neither can I"
I don't care how Right Wing you are, seeing a guy walking out with 3 AR-15s a thousand rounds of ammo,(which he claims is legit A-P), and wearing that t-shirt,
ought to convince you that we need to re-establish an American's right to be moderates, progressives and liberals.
Some of these wackos take this stuff as real.
Bull. what a bunch of crap
Informed Opinion

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 11, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Ron wrote:
<quoted text>Bull. what a bunch of crap
Which part ?

Perhaps you could elaborate on the source of your deep disappointment. We don't want your feelings hurt unnecessarily.
Bored

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 11, 2013
 
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Just stopped by a gun show and picked up a S&W MP 15. Ammo has exploded (pun intended) in price, and all they had to sell was "Green Tip" ammo, but it didn't look legit.
Here's the scary thing.
I saw many t-shirts and posters reading
"My AK - 47 can't tell the difference between Terrorists, Commies & Liberals, and neither can I"
I don't care how Right Wing you are, seeing a guy walking out with 3 AR-15s a thousand rounds of ammo,(which he claims is legit A-P), and wearing that t-shirt,
ought to convince you that we need to re-establish an American's right to be moderates, progressives and liberals.
Some of these wackos take this stuff as real.
Boring.
Boring Boring Boring

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 11, 2013
 
Bored wrote:
<quoted text>
Boring.
You bore me to no end
Yep

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 11, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Yep, Oh My and (Un)Informed Opinion just don't didn't listen. Or maybe it's understanding they have a problem with.

No matter those insisting upon inconsequential absurdities are normally just skipped anyway.

But isnít it great when a few reasonable folks show up. Good posts Snowflake, Ron, and Lucy.
what

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 11, 2013
 
Guess every good post on Topix need one anti-gun a hole
what

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 11, 2013
 
I forgot, Topix is where people who think their opinion matters to the rest of the world to and try to tell us how to live
when

Saratov, Russia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 11, 2013
 
Yeah, this post had promise to start with....to bad
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 12, 2013
 

Judged:

1

what wrote:
Two posts from Germany
one from Russia
on a local board
where you mask your location.

Paranoid much?
Informed Opinion

Naples, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Feb 12, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Yep wrote:
Yep, Oh My and (Un)Informed Opinion just don't didn't listen. Or maybe it's understanding they have a problem with.

No matter those insisting upon inconsequential absurdities are normally just skipped anyway.

But isn’t it great when a few reasonable folks show up. Good posts Snowflake, Ron, and Lucy.
Don't know about "Oh my", but I love to listen.

Last night my son and I watched "World's Dumbest .... " for entertainment.

That's what's entertaining about TOPIX, a few well informed, articulate, or humorous posts,

mixed with a few intellectually inconsistent, hypocritical, and low-information - "I hate damn Leeeeberals and where's my socialist security check" - posts.

It's great.

How much more could you ask for ?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of34
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

59 Users are viewing the Blairsville Forum right now

Search the Blairsville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
EMC rate hike (Jan '11) 3 min No troll 11
Seniors should not pay School Tax in Union (Sep '13) 18 min Super troll 280
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 45 min rename 39,489
Tired of Giving 52 min Kris 7
Looking for a friendly community 3 hr RRG 15
Blairsville 7 hr RRG 2
Home Depot. 7 hr RRG 2
•••
•••

Blairsville News Video

•••
•••

Blairsville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Blairsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••