Since: Aug 10

Commerce, GA

#41 Jan 12, 2013
Blade wrote:
Why does an average person need an "assault rifle"???
It is not about needing one to hunt. The second amendment makes no mention about hunting. It is about protection for your self and family.From enemies (foreign and domestic)
The right to bear arms (all types)is as important as freedom of speech...Do you really "need" a computer to express your opinions?
As far as shutting down private sales go...Why not shut down the farmers market,they don't have inspections on their produce.More people die of food illness than "Assault rifles". What about hard wear stores...more people are killed with hand tools than "Assault rifles"
Well then, am I entitled to have a nuclear war head for personal protection?
Oh my

Young Harris, GA

#42 Jan 13, 2013
Blade wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
...As far as shutting down private sales go...Why not shut down the farmers market,they don't have inspections on their produce.More people die of food illness than "Assault rifles". What about hard wear stores...more people are killed with hand tools than "Assault rifles"
The question that has been raised,
Why are private gun sales not held to the same standard as a licensed gun dealer?

Should a Buyer be required to prove their right to be able to purchase?

We are required to prove who we are when exercising our right to vote.

We are required to prove our ability to own and operate a motor vehicle.

How does this "shutdown private gun sales" ?

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carr...
Q: Do I have to pass a background check when purchasing a firearm from a Dealer?

A: You will be required to pass a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer. However, if you possess a valid Georgia Weapons License, your Georgia Weapons License will suffice as your background check. You will be required to show your state issued ID and your Georgia Weapons License in order to avoid the background check.

Q: Can I sell or purchase a firearm from someone other than a dealer? What about a background check in this instance?

A: Private sales of firearms between individual citizens are legal and do not require background checks. You are allowed to sell your private property to anyone of your choosing, unless the individual is ineligible to own or possess a firearm. Knowingly selling a firearm to a felon is a felony.

“Dont care how you did it in FL”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#43 Jan 13, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
The question that has been raised,
Why are private gun sales not held to the same standard as a licensed gun dealer?
Should a Buyer be required to prove their right to be able to purchase?
We are required to prove who we are when exercising our right to vote.
We are required to prove our ability to own and operate a motor vehicle.
How does this "shutdown private gun sales" ?
http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carr...
Q: Do I have to pass a background check when purchasing a firearm from a Dealer?
A: You will be required to pass a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer. However, if you possess a valid Georgia Weapons License, your Georgia Weapons License will suffice as your background check. You will be required to show your state issued ID and your Georgia Weapons License in order to avoid the background check.
Q: Can I sell or purchase a firearm from someone other than a dealer? What about a background check in this instance?
A: Private sales of firearms between individual citizens are legal and do not require background checks. You are allowed to sell your private property to anyone of your choosing, unless the individual is ineligible to own or possess a firearm. Knowingly selling a firearm to a felon is a felony.
Should persons have to navigate all that government red tape to have freedom of speech?
Windbreaker

Commerce, GA

#44 Jan 13, 2013
Timmy_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Should persons have to navigate all that government red tape to have freedom of speech?
When people speak no one dies. Even driving is regulated.
Informed Opinion

Bonita Springs, FL

#45 Jan 13, 2013
Truthis Blairsville wrote:
<quoted text>Well then, am I entitled to have a nuclear war head for personal protection?
Great post.

Most Americans believe the Constitution assures a personal right to keep and bear arms.

Most don't believe that right extends to allow me to maintain an M1A Abrams Battle Tank in my garage.

So it would seem that the issue isn't whether or not possession of firearms can be regulated - but how far that regulation can Constitutionally extend.

That being the case, it's disappointing, and informative, when those who personally believe that regulation can extend further, or vice versa, are personally attacked over their position on a right, that by definition, is open to various interpretations.

Location hidden

#46 Jan 13, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post.
Most Americans believe the Constitution assures a personal right to keep and bear arms.
Most don't believe that right extends to allow me to maintain an M1A Abrams Battle Tank in my garage.
So it would seem that the issue isn't whether or not possession of firearms can be regulated - but how far that regulation can Constitutionally extend.
That being the case, it's disappointing, and informative, when those who personally believe that regulation can extend further, or vice versa, are personally attacked over their position on a right, that by definition, is open to various interpretations.
You must have watched that sheriff's interview on CNN last night.Seems like he made a reference to a tank.

Location hidden

#47 Jan 13, 2013
Windbreaker wrote:
<quoted text>When people speak no one dies. Even driving is regulated.
Words hurt people.
Blade

Dawsonville, GA

#48 Jan 13, 2013
The big question is,how far do we allow government regulation to go?
Government regulation only affects those who abide by the laws in place.We already have laws in place to stop drivers without license from driving or driving while under the influence.How well do those work out? We have laws in place to stop slanderous speech.People on topix know how well that works.
My concern is the government trying to regulate the tool and not the person abusing them.
The problem with giving up freedoms are, once they are gone,they are gone for ever.What is the next freedom LAW ABIDING citizens must give up to appease the masses?

Commerce, GA

#49 Jan 13, 2013
Blade wrote:
Government regulation only affects those who abide by the laws in place.We already have laws in place to stop drivers without license from driving or driving while under the influence.How well do those work out? We have laws in place to stop slanderous speech.People on topix know how well that works.
My concern is the government trying to regulate the tool and not the person abusing them.
The problem with giving up freedoms are, once they are gone,they are gone for ever.What is the next freedom LAW ABIDING citizens must give up to appease the masses?
How far does your right extend? Does it supercede my right to assemble? How do you keep the wackadoos from buying and using these weapons against the rest of us?
Informed Opinion

Bonita Springs, FL

#50 Jan 13, 2013
Blade wrote:
Good point about limitation of power of laws, but kinda sets a false premise doesn't it ?

Why make murder illegal if people still murder ?
Why make child abuse illegal if pedophiles still abuse children ?
Why make theft illegal if people still steal ?
Why have any speed limits if some people will always violate those limits ?

There are many reasons not to further regulate firearms, but the fact that criminals generally don't obey laws,(hence the category "criminal" exists), doesn't seem that persuasive.
Blade

Dawsonville, GA

#51 Jan 13, 2013
I had to submit to a background check for my guns,did you have to for your assembly? Does it supersede my right to protect my self and family? How do you keep wackadoos and thugs from rioting and killing the rest of us?

Same questions,different subject.Main question is still how far do we let government regulation go?
It still all boils down to the intent of the person.
Are we ready to allow the government to dictate mental and thought process for us?
Windbreaker

Commerce, GA

#52 Jan 13, 2013
Blade wrote:
I had to submit to a background check for my guns,did you have to for your assembly? Does it supersede my right to protect my self and family? How do you keep wackadoos and thugs from rioting and killing the rest of us?
Same questions,different subject.Main question is still how far do we let government regulation go?
Are we ready to allow the government to dictate mental and thought process for us?
Do you have an answer or not? Contribute to the solution. How do we keep the nuts from getting the weapons?

Commerce, GA

#53 Jan 13, 2013
Blade wrote:
If you are one of the persons who believes that your AR15 will protect you when the government comes for you, You do realize that our gov't now kills from afar using drones. This would make your pea shooter useless in that case.
Informed Opinion

Bonita Springs, FL

#54 Jan 13, 2013
<quoted text>If you are one of the persons who believes that your AR15 will protect you when the government comes for you, You do realize that our gov't now kills from afar using drones. This would make your pea shooter useless in that case.
Obviously, the 2nd Amendment allows us to possess military equipment and arms, including surface to air missiles, to allow the average person to engage in treasonous military action against the U.S. government.

Of course, the Framers intended to encourage and permit armed insurrection against the government they just went to the trouble of creating.

Jeez - you act like that interpretation of the 2nd Amendment doesn't make sense.
Bored

Millsboro, DE

#55 Jan 13, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, the 2nd Amendment allows us to possess military equipment and arms, including surface to air missiles, to allow the average person to engage in treasonous military action against the U.S. government.
Of course, the Framers intended to encourage and permit armed insurrection against the government they just went to the trouble of creating.
Boring.
Lamar

Dahlonega, GA

#56 Jan 14, 2013
<quoted text>If you are one of the persons who believes that your AR15 will protect you when the government comes for you, You do realize that our gov't now kills from afar using drones. This would make your pea shooter useless in that case.
My pee shooter has a range of about 4 foot.
Oh my

Dahlonega, GA

#57 Jan 14, 2013
Blade wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
"How do you keep wackadoos and thugs from rioting and killing the rest of us?"

Well, part of the deterrent is accomplished thru background checks but these are only performed by licensed gun dealers and are not required by private sellers. "Wackadoos and thugs" can still acquire guns thru private sales, and thugs will continue to acquire thru criminal means.

So, again, the question becomes how do we make it more difficult for "wackadoos and thugs" to acquire guns?
"Are we ready to allow the government to dictate mental and thought process for us?"

What provisions of a background check would allow for this?
chevy

Jefferson, GA

#58 Jan 14, 2013
Are we ready to allow the government to dictate mental and thought process for us?"

They already do. The result is mind numb Democrats who believe all thay read and repeat all they hear.
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#59 Jan 14, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>"How do you keep wackadoos and thugs from rioting and killing the rest of us?"

Well, part of the deterrent is accomplished thru background checks but these are only performed by licensed gun dealers and are not required by private sellers. "Wackadoos and thugs" can still acquire guns thru private sales, and thugs will continue to acquire thru criminal means.

So, again, the question becomes how do we make it more difficult for "wackadoos and thugs" to acquire guns?
"Are we ready to allow the government to dictate mental and thought process for us?"

What provisions of a background check would allow for this?
Gotta love the term "Wackadoos".
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#60 Jan 14, 2013
chevy wrote:
Are we ready to allow the government to dictate mental and thought process for us?"

They already do. The result is mind numb Democrats who believe all thay read and repeat all they hear.
Now, there you go, attacking a person's politics when the question is really simply an intellectual discussion as to how far government regulation is entitled to reach, since we all agree that regulation, to some extent, is permissible.

How much can you restrict my ownership and access to firearms in order to minimize your chance of dying as a result of my ownership of my firearms.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Have you dealt with Adult protective services? 14 hr Need Feedback 8
Muslim in Blairsville 22 hr Crusader 32
Are there any blacks in Blairsville? (Oct '08) Apr 20 Black Lives Matter 461
Builders First Source (Aug '08) Apr 20 Just Curious 128
The best place to meet Gays in Blairsville (Jan '09) Apr 20 Mavis Hobgood 251
Warring about windsream bills Apr 18 Wrong 2
If you cant pay your bills stop spending foolishly Apr 18 Clovis Hobgood 81

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance