Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

I actually agree about the facebook reference. And I feel the same way about topix. Why do people get on here and complain?
But that's just it. We're so used to computers and social media, and technology that people don't know how to function without them. Now I still feel it could of been a catastrophy if something major had happened, but it didn't, so time to move on. Figure out what happened, so hopefully it won't happen again. As for the news media, they certainly love to sensationalize even smaller things than this, so i'm surpised their not all over it. Some of the stuff they report is ridiculous.
But, if you ask some others around town, it's all Obamas fault, lol. Give me a break!
Mel

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Literate wrote:
<quoted text>

I do know that my phone, even though it was without service, said that I could make emergency calls if needed. I also know that someone else said that 911 calls were directed to other local counties bordering Union. The problem is, America has become TOO dependent on these things. Maybe now you can start speaking out on having back up plans. Nothing like being prepared, huh?
Your phone told you you could make emergency calls?? That's your source of proof that you could?

Dumb ass.
Georgia Idiots

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Literate wrote:
Really? Is this what people get up in arms about now days? We were without phone service for a freaking hour for crying out loud. As far as I can tell we all made it out just fine. I couldn't believe when I logged on to Facebook late last night and saw a thread where people were "demanding" (DEMANDING!) WSB-TV report what happened, as if they had anything at all to do with it. How arrogant. That thread must have had around 50 comments or more. It was ridiculous. LIke WSB-TV had absolutely nothing else to report on, than a bunch of hillbillies without their 'internets' and 'cables'. Way to live small, people of Union County. Some of you may or may not remember, but a lot of us lived the majority of our lives without cell phones and internet and we all survived! There are many people who can remember a time without..(GASP!) landline phones. Losing cell and landline service for an hour isn't newsworthy. It's over and I'm sure there is a logical explanation for it that isn't going to impact our lives one bit to not know about it.
Well we were without for over a hour. So what if someone within that hour needed to make an emergency phone call and no phones were working? I see nothing wrong for someone to ask other's if they knew the reason. When you pay for these services then its only normal that anyone would be curious as to the reason why they were not working. Why are so people on here always so rude and arrogant?
Georgia Idiots

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

A Concered Citizen wrote:
My Main concern about starting this topic was for my 84 year old Mother who is in poor health. IF anyone was in bad heath and might need to call 911 I would imagine they might be curious too ? I was NOT worried that the world might end. but for someone in poor health , it could very well be a life or death situation.
These idiots on here won't get or understand that. I see your point but I guess it has to happen to them before they get it. People on here are so rude when someone asks a simple common question. They cannot answer it sensible.
Georgia Idiots

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

really_now wrote:
I actually agree about the facebook reference. And I feel the same way about topix. Why do people get on here and complain?
But that's just it. We're so used to computers and social media, and technology that people don't know how to function without them. Now I still feel it could of been a catastrophy if something major had happened, but it didn't, so time to move on. Figure out what happened, so hopefully it won't happen again. As for the news media, they certainly love to sensationalize even smaller things than this, so i'm surpised their not all over it. Some of the stuff they report is ridiculous.
But, if you ask some others around town, it's all Obamas fault, lol. Give me a break!
Who was complaining? The first poster simply asked a question very nicely and everyone just had to respond in their normal rude manner. Why couldn't that persons's question have just been answered with a nice reply for once ? Ridiculous.
tech-knowledge

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

And our world is now a techonology world, it's not like it used to be. All medical, sheriff, and other emergency community services rely on technology these days. It's unfortunate, but it's true. I agree that people should be concerned. It was a strange occurance that no one, so far, can explain.
tech-knowledge

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

And if I read this thread properly, Literate was complaining. Am I wrong?
get over yourselves

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Yeah, I read the facebook rambling, too. One hour or two without a phone and communication isn't the end of the world. People only recently had all these tools to communicate. What in the hell did people do before? I'd hate to be around all the complainers if there was a national emergency and we lost all forms of communication.
union co res

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

tech-knowledge wrote:
And our world is now a techonology world, it's not like it used to be. All medical, sheriff, and other emergency community services rely on technology these days. It's unfortunate, but it's true. I agree that people should be concerned. It was a strange occurance that no one, so far, can explain.
all of these posters bitching about a one hour of no services and wanting answers.so just call the local manager and ask him he's name is jay.just about a month ago at&t lost service to about 14,000 customers due to copper thieves they were out for 2 days and the Atlanta news cover the story in 60 seconds. so everybody stop bitching.plus for those people that are not smart enough you can make a 911 call on your cell phone when there is no signal and about everybody has a cell phone now days.
HurrDurr

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

union co res wrote:
you can make a 911 call on your cell phone when there is no signal
You are some kind of stupid. You are so stupid I bet you have to look up the number for 911 before you dial it. You are so stupid your gene pool is more like a puddle. You are so stupid I bet it takes you an hour to cook Minute Rice. You are so stupid that blondes will now go around telling jokes about you. Yep. You are some kind of stupid.
Georgia Idiots

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

tech-knowledge wrote:
Yes but the concerned that started this was not..Just couldn't figure out why that person couldn't have gotten a proper and decent response to their question.
Literate

Anniston, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Mel wrote:
<quoted text>
Your phone told you you could make emergency calls?? That's your source of proof that you could?
Dumb ass.
No, not just that. On the thread on FB I referenced earlier, a lady said that her husband, was able to get a call to 911 out and was directed to Cherokee Co. 911 center. Conveniently you left that part out of the quote you were replying to. Is that better for you or would you have preferred that I called 911 just to let them know my phone isn't working?
Literate

Anniston, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

tech-knowledge wrote:
Perhaps. I guess it depends on perspective. I was simply trying to make a point to some of you that just because technology fails for short periods of time does not mean anyone needs to go around acting like they are owed something because of it. Demanding answers isn't going to solve anything and even if you got an answer, so what? It doesn't change the fact that it happened. Entitlement complex is running rampant these days and it's time people are called out on it so they can recognize whatever internal issue they are having that causes them to walk around this earth as if the world owes them. People are just so quick to make an issue out of any and everything.
union co res

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

HurrDurr wrote:
<quoted text>
You are some kind of stupid. You are so stupid I bet you have to look up the number for 911 before you dial it. You are so stupid your gene pool is more like a puddle. You are so stupid I bet it takes you an hour to cook Minute Rice. You are so stupid that blondes will now go around telling jokes about you. Yep. You are some kind of stupid.
try it one time dip sh$t and see if it works you are the one that is stupid i work for the cell phone company and no i am not telling you which one dip sh$t. you can dial 911 even if you don't have cell service like i said try it some time dip sh$t....
-sigh-

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

You can get an emergency call through on AT&T when there is no other coverage (in limited areas). Don't ask me how and why, but you can....

All those "what if's". Well guess what, nothing happened in the brief time it was out, so the "what if's" are useless.
Floridian

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

lucy wrote:
Any info on what caused the outages last night?
The string broke on the tin can.
Set the record straight

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

-sigh- wrote:
911 communications were not down, the elderly need phones to contact for emergency help and it was an hour or more. Gee! We couldn't be nosy or visit for an entire hour or two.
Maybe more people should unplug more often and get back to life without electronics, it's an amazing thing.I do it all the time.
On the other hand, if one "box" going down can affect all communications for an entire county, then I say there is a vulnerable spot that needs correcting.
Personally I was hoping for the zombie attack myself.. take my video skills LIVE!!!:)
I had occasion to stop by the Sherrifs dept yesterday, and while there I asked if 911 communications were down when this happened. the Sherrif was not in so I spoke with the second in command. He informed me that Union county and most of Lumpkin county was in fact without ANY 911 service for approximately 90 minutes. Someone in the Southern part of the county severed a trunk line while digging. He also said that the county was very lucky that no emergencies occoured during this time. So yes, this is a vulnerable spot that needs correcting.
I would very much like to know the secret to being able to call 911 when ALL services are down.
Bet you did not know

Cleveland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Set the record straight wrote:
<quoted text>
I had occasion to stop by the Sherrifs dept yesterday, and while there I asked if 911 communications were down when this happened. the Sherrif was not in so I spoke with the second in command. He informed me that Union county and most of Lumpkin county was in fact without ANY 911 service for approximately 90 minutes. Someone in the Southern part of the county severed a trunk line while digging. He also said that the county was very lucky that no emergencies occoured during this time. So yes, this is a vulnerable spot that needs correcting.
I would very much like to know the secret to being able to call 911 when ALL services are down.
It sure took a lot of nonsense to get some factual facts. Thank You for posting what happened and the fact that we had no 911 operation during that period. Now if someone would just post a honest answer to the problem other than don't cut the cable.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Set the record straight wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
"Someone in the Southern part of the county severed a trunk line while digging."

"So yes, this is a vulnerable spot that needs correcting."

Call before digging,
a deeply misunderstood concept.
The Drones are Coming

Commerce, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

Judged:

It was a Black Drone Flying over the county and it knocked everything out....lol

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
brmemc 1 hr Interesting 140
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 2 hr ChicknButt 52,386
Do you approve of Jim Conley as Mayor? (Apr '12) 2 hr just the way it is 18
florida 2 hr Helicopter 19
Need more manufacturers to come to blairsville 2 hr just the way it is 9
Sketchy preschool lottery 3 hr Charlene - Union ... 6
What's the worst thing about Floridiots? 6 hr Blairsvillian 15
Farmers Market Rip-Off 9 hr My Two Senses 44

Search the Blairsville Forum:
•••

Blairsville News Video

•••
•••

Blairsville Jobs