Windstream, AND cell phone outages last night.

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 48 Comments Last updated May 8, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
A Concered Citizen

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

I noticed my windstream internet service was not availble last night around 6 or 6:30. checked my home phone and it was dead, Cable TV was also down. went to call Windstream on my Straight Talk cell phone and that was also out of service. Another person in my house has AT&T cellular and that was down too. Took a drive into town and asked round,,,, got the same story everywhere.

Does anyone have any idea what caused such a severe outage like this ?
Observer

Jefferson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

You know how ACOG and MV are always warning folks about Armageddon is we don't clean up the imagined corruption going on in Union County. Perhaps this was a precursor to that occurring?
Observer

Jefferson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Or maybe it was Blue Ridge Mountain EMC's new marketing plan since theirs was the only service that did not fail.
froggy

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Time to adjust the tinfoil hat.
Bet you did not know

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Observer wrote:
Or maybe it was Blue Ridge Mountain EMC's new marketing plan since theirs was the only service that did not fail.
They use better tin cans than Windstream. Course we will have to pay a surcharge for that.
lucy

Alto, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Any info on what caused the outages last night?
cinga

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

We survived the outage. Oh, Lord, I hope the media covers this and we get some federal funding!!
Life was Good

Orange City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

cinga wrote:
We survived the outage. Oh, Lord, I hope the media covers this and we get some federal funding!!
It was a low-yield silent nuclear explosion centered over Union County to disrupt local communication service while top secret communications from Zombie International was taking place. Beware Union County for the wrath is coming your way. The Walking Dead are nearly hear from the Atlanta area. Tin hats can be purchased at Walmart and Ace Hardware.
Literate

Opelika, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Really? Is this what people get up in arms about now days? We were without phone service for a freaking hour for crying out loud. As far as I can tell we all made it out just fine. I couldn't believe when I logged on to Facebook late last night and saw a thread where people were "demanding" (DEMANDING!) WSB-TV report what happened, as if they had anything at all to do with it. How arrogant. That thread must have had around 50 comments or more. It was ridiculous. LIke WSB-TV had absolutely nothing else to report on, than a bunch of hillbillies without their 'internets' and 'cables'. Way to live small, people of Union County. Some of you may or may not remember, but a lot of us lived the majority of our lives without cell phones and internet and we all survived! There are many people who can remember a time without..(GASP!) landline phones. Losing cell and landline service for an hour isn't newsworthy. It's over and I'm sure there is a logical explanation for it that isn't going to impact our lives one bit to not know about it.
dopey

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

This is a serious issue! When all communication is down that INCLUDES emergency responders, 911 and so on. The public should be made aware of where this wink link is and efforts should be made to prevent it from happening. To the fossil who posted above, you may not realize that we have come to depend on these systems. While as people we would be ok without them, when you get used to depending on them, when they suddenly disappear you have danger. Be it children who were dependent on a planned phone to call for a needed ride, or 911 expecting this stuff to work. That is why this is a serious issue you nitwit.
-sigh-

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

911 communications were not down, the elderly need phones to contact for emergency help and it was an hour or more. Gee! We couldn't be nosy or visit for an entire hour or two.
Maybe more people should unplug more often and get back to life without electronics, it's an amazing thing.I do it all the time.
On the other hand, if one "box" going down can affect all communications for an entire county, then I say there is a vulnerable spot that needs correcting.
Personally I was hoping for the zombie attack myself.. take my video skills LIVE!!!:)
Literate

Opelika, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

dopey wrote:
This is a serious issue! When all communication is down that INCLUDES emergency responders, 911 and so on. The public should be made aware of where this wink link is and efforts should be made to prevent it from happening. To the fossil who posted above, you may not realize that we have come to depend on these systems. While as people we would be ok without them, when you get used to depending on them, when they suddenly disappear you have danger. Be it children who were dependent on a planned phone to call for a needed ride, or 911 expecting this stuff to work. That is why this is a serious issue you nitwit.
Im 32, "nitwit". If that's what you consider a "fossil", then what does that make you?. I didnt have a cell phone until I was 17, so I spent at least half my life without one glued to my hand. It's only been in the last 10-15 years that they became as common as party lines. Remember those? I'm sure you do. I know you're older than I am.
My point was,(that you seemed to so freely overlook) is that there are MUCH BIGGER things to be concerned and vocal over. Things that matter. Did anyone suffer because of a whole hour outage? I mean really, in the grand scheme of things this is very small and demanding local news cover it is just ignorance. It's technology. Stuff messes up. Like everything else in this life, it has flukes. No one was hurt or at fault and I doubt anyone was left stranded anywhere because of it.
I do know that my phone, even though it was without service, said that I could make emergency calls if needed. I also know that someone else said that 911 calls were directed to other local counties bordering Union. The problem is, America has become TOO dependent on these things. Maybe now you can start speaking out on having back up plans. Nothing like being prepared, huh?
cinga

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Life was Good wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a low-yield silent nuclear explosion centered over Union County to disrupt local communication service while top secret communications from Zombie International was taking place. Beware Union County for the wrath is coming your way. The Walking Dead are nearly hear from the Atlanta area. Tin hats can be purchased at Walmart and Ace Hardware.
lmbo
cinga

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Literate wrote:
Really? Is this what people get up in arms about now days? We were without phone service for a freaking hour for crying out loud. As far as I can tell we all made it out just fine. I couldn't believe when I logged on to Facebook late last night and saw a thread where people were "demanding" (DEMANDING!) WSB-TV report what happened, as if they had anything at all to do with it. How arrogant. That thread must have had around 50 comments or more. It was ridiculous. LIke WSB-TV had absolutely nothing else to report on, than a bunch of hillbillies without their 'internets' and 'cables'. Way to live small, people of Union County. Some of you may or may not remember, but a lot of us lived the majority of our lives without cell phones and internet and we all survived! There are many people who can remember a time without..(GASP!) landline phones. Losing cell and landline service for an hour isn't newsworthy. It's over and I'm sure there is a logical explanation for it that isn't going to impact our lives one bit to not know about it.
you tell 'em.
right on target.
bunch of sillies w/o a phone
really_now

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Literate wrote:
<quoted text>
Im 32, "nitwit". If that's what you consider a "fossil", then what does that make you?. I didnt have a cell phone until I was 17, so I spent at least half my life without one glued to my hand. It's only been in the last 10-15 years that they became as common as party lines. Remember those? I'm sure you do. I know you're older than I am.
My point was,(that you seemed to so freely overlook) is that there are MUCH BIGGER things to be concerned and vocal over. Things that matter. Did anyone suffer because of a whole hour outage? I mean really, in the grand scheme of things this is very small and demanding local news cover it is just ignorance. It's technology. Stuff messes up. Like everything else in this life, it has flukes. No one was hurt or at fault and I doubt anyone was left stranded anywhere because of it.
I do know that my phone, even though it was without service, said that I could make emergency calls if needed. I also know that someone else said that 911 calls were directed to other local counties bordering Union. The problem is, America has become TOO dependent on these things. Maybe now you can start speaking out on having back up plans. Nothing like being prepared, huh?
I don't get it. We were without landline phone service, cell phone service, yet 911 calls were directed to other local counties bordering union? How the heck did anyone make these calls without phone service? I guess your tin foil hat works better than others. And, I don't know what phone you had that would still make an emergency phone without service? That is only if there are towers that are accepting signals. The towers were down. Again, I guess you bought your tin foil at some special store since you are so smart and know what we all should do in this abnormal situation!
UC Person

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Much ado about nothing!
Literate

Opelika, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

really_now wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't get it. We were without landline phone service, cell phone service, yet 911 calls were directed to other local counties bordering union? How the heck did anyone make these calls without phone service? I guess your tin foil hat works better than others. And, I don't know what phone you had that would still make an emergency phone without service? That is only if there are towers that are accepting signals. The towers were down. Again, I guess you bought your tin foil at some special store since you are so smart and know what we all should do in this abnormal situation!
Abnormal situation? Wow. I didn't realize I was dealing with insanity of epic proportions. I know that when I attempted to place a call on my cell phone, a message appeared on my screen,(I have one of them there 'smart' phones) that read, "Call not supported at this time. Emergency calls only". Which would leave one to believe that maybe 911 actually thought ahead a long time ago in case of a situation like this and has back up lines/towers, which would allow calls to be placed in case of an emergency when standard towers are down. Even if you have a deactivated cell phone you can still call 911. Maybe if you would have went to the walmarts or ace hardwares to get your own tin foil hat, I wouldn't be having to explain this to you.
A Concered Citizen

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

My Main concern about starting this topic was for my 84 year old Mother who is in poor health. IF anyone was in bad heath and might need to call 911 I would imagine they might be curious too ? I was NOT worried that the world might end. but for someone in poor health , it could very well be a life or death situation.
really_now

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Literate wrote:
<quoted text>
Abnormal situation? Wow. I didn't realize I was dealing with insanity of epic proportions. I know that when I attempted to place a call on my cell phone, a message appeared on my screen,(I have one of them there 'smart' phones) that read, "Call not supported at this time. Emergency calls only". Which would leave one to believe that maybe 911 actually thought ahead a long time ago in case of a situation like this and has back up lines/towers, which would allow calls to be placed in case of an emergency when standard towers are down. Even if you have a deactivated cell phone you can still call 911. Maybe if you would have went to the walmarts or ace hardwares to get your own tin foil hat, I wouldn't be having to explain this to you.
Well, I called Verizon today and they said I would not of been able to make ANY calls within that hour and a half. And yes, I have a smart phone too, they can only do what is possible at the time, they are computers and computers fail. That is exactly what the verizon tech told me. Computer fail! I don't know if you realized that or not? Just because you have a smart phone, that doesn't mean you can make calls at all times, if there's no service, you can't do anything with your "smart phone". Now, you might not think this is something to be concerned about, but I can guaranDAMNtee you, if you had an emergency, you'd be pissed. And you'd be on here complaining and crying and wondering why no one cared.
Even the commish had concerns that all communication was down in this county. Sheriff's office, 911 operators, scanner communication, everything you can think of was wiped out for over an hour. You can make light of it all you want, that only shows your lack of concern for others who might of needed help. God forbid it had been you or someone you love.
Literate

Opelika, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

really_now wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I called Verizon today and they said I would not of been able to make ANY calls within that hour and a half. And yes, I have a smart phone too, they can only do what is possible at the time, they are computers and computers fail. That is exactly what the verizon tech told me. Computer fail! I don't know if you realized that or not? Just because you have a smart phone, that doesn't mean you can make calls at all times, if there's no service, you can't do anything with your "smart phone". Now, you might not think this is something to be concerned about, but I can guaranDAMNtee you, if you had an emergency, you'd be pissed. And you'd be on here complaining and crying and wondering why no one cared.
Even the commish had concerns that all communication was down in this county. Sheriff's office, 911 operators, scanner communication, everything you can think of was wiped out for over an hour. You can make light of it all you want, that only shows your lack of concern for others who might of needed help. God forbid it had been you or someone you love.
Thank you for restating the point I was trying to make 3 or 4 posts above. COMPUTERS FAIL. TECHNOLOGY FAILS. No one is solely to blame and no one needs to flood the FB pages of media outlets demanding coverage of it. It's over, everyone is fine, so why are you still bitching about it? Apparently you didn't pick up the sarcasm having to do with the 'smart phone'. I "guaranDAMNtee" you, if you had one of them there trusty tin foil hats you keep referencing you might would lighten up a little.

As far as the commissioner goes, he made a generalized statement because he was pressured into it by the same group of people who were flooding media sites trying to get coverage of something that went on for 1/24th of the whole day and was fixed before anyone had a heart attack or died because their "smart" phones didn't work. Even though I am still fairly young, I have recently come to understand that in this short life we have, there are very few things worth causing such a stink about. People need to realize when they bow to the alters of Facebook to rant over small things, It's more a reflection on them than the problem itself.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 6 hr Aggie23 52,144
Patrick Malone's Values 9 hr LOL 4
Bitch or Vote? 10 hr Ron 39
florida 11 hr Yup 6
Farmers Market Rip-Off 11 hr outsider 40
Dogs riding in Walmart GROCERY Shopping Carts 11 hr outsider 34
If Obama had son. 11 hr outsider 7
brmemc 13 hr Interesting 132

Search the Blairsville Forum:
•••

Blairsville News Video

•••
Blairsville Dating