Simple SPLOST Questions
SimpleSimon

Perry, GA

#1 Oct 23, 2013
Here's some really simple question for all people. Those for and against the SPLOST. Just one thing to focus on. No other subjects, no other projects. Just one.

How many SPLOST votes have y'all been to where the Community Center was on the ballot?

What year was the first one?

What was the verbiage on the list of projects printed on the paper, and how much was supposed to be allocated to it?

How much has been spent on it YEAR TO DATE out of those SPLOST dollars.

How much is our commissioner asking for in this round of SPLOST for the community center?

Cheat: For the last question, that answer is found in this week's paper.

Exactly how many times are we going to vote to spend money to get a new community center and for how long?

Extra Credit: Why do we need to spend another $100,000 to "upgrade" the library? Didn't we just spend close to a $1,000,000? With another few million from a grant?
just asking

Dahlonega, GA

#2 Oct 23, 2013
It doesn't come any simpler then that. But there are so many more unanswered questions in this NEW SPLOST!
tmv post

Warner Robins, GA

#3 Oct 23, 2013
I will answer one question:

YOU ASKED: How much is our commissioner asking for in this round of SPLOST for the community center?

ANSWER, AND THIS MAY SURPRISE EVEN YOU:
There is no exact answer.

Yes, I realize that you may think you know the answer - that it is $5,500,000. But even that is incorrect. The real answer is unknown, because the Commissioner isn't actually asking for the money - he is asking for the ability to ask for a LOAN for the money. He is asking for a LOAN to pay off the last LOAN actually. The last loan has a total of over $3 Million Dollars in interest attached. During hte entire life of the Splost III it is INTEREST ONLY loan payments.

So to answer your question as close as it can be answered: he is asking for a $5,500,000 loan, that could end up costing upwards of $7 - 8 Million dollars after you factor in Interest Payments.

As far as how much has already been paid by previous Splosts, all I know of is the $3,400,000 Voted on last time - which went toward INTEREST ONLY LOAN PAYMENTS, that you are now being asked to take out another loan to payoff.

Bankers are doing well on this one - not sure about the citizens though. Ending up with almost $10,000,000 in hidden debt that you wern't told about doesn't sound like a good deal.
just me

Dahlonega, GA

#4 Oct 23, 2013
2012 Audit page 63

SPLOST 3

$933,143 has been spent so far on the Community Center out of SPLOST money. THAT IS SO FAR!!!! We have until 2015 to go.

Question is what WILL be spent on the Community Center out of SPLOST 3 BEFORE we get to SPLOST 4?

Think about it. Lamar told the voters this building was only going to cost us $3,430,000.

We are paying a nice return on the bonds at rates of 4.5% to 5.00% interest. Page 47 2012 Union County Audit.

You have to watch all the bait and switch tactics Lamar has used to get you to vote on these SPLOST.
past history

Sterling, VA

#5 Oct 23, 2013
There are a bunch of local hogs salivating at the prospect of that good taxpayer slop you know some of these hogs the P's K's C's L's H's B's are some of those hogs that are waiting to be fed by the taxpayers those hogs think it is their right to gourge on the taxpayer slop because they are homegrown born and bred hogs.
Pete

Commerce, GA

#6 Oct 23, 2013
past history wrote:
There are a bunch of local hogs salivating at the prospect of that good taxpayer slop you know some of these hogs the P's K's C's L's H's B's are some of those hogs that are waiting to be fed by the taxpayers those hogs think it is their right to gourge on the taxpayer slop because they are homegrown born and bred hogs.
Could you find a Rich Golfer there ?
Will

Commerce, GA

#7 Oct 23, 2013
tmv post wrote:
I will answer one question:
YOU ASKED: How much is our commissioner asking for in this round of SPLOST for the community center?
ANSWER, AND THIS MAY SURPRISE EVEN YOU:
There is no exact answer.
Yes, I realize that you may think you know the answer - that it is $5,500,000. But even that is incorrect. The real answer is unknown, because the Commissioner isn't actually asking for the money - he is asking for the ability to ask for a LOAN for the money. He is asking for a LOAN to pay off the last LOAN actually. The last loan has a total of over $3 Million Dollars in interest attached. During hte entire life of the Splost III it is INTEREST ONLY loan payments.
So to answer your question as close as it can be answered: he is asking for a $5,500,000 loan, that could end up costing upwards of $7 - 8 Million dollars after you factor in Interest Payments.
As far as how much has already been paid by previous Splosts, all I know of is the $3,400,000 Voted on last time - which went toward INTEREST ONLY LOAN PAYMENTS, that you are now being asked to take out another loan to payoff.
Bankers are doing well on this one - not sure about the citizens though. Ending up with almost $10,000,000 in hidden debt that you wern't told about doesn't sound like a good deal.
All this debt will and is against your homes and property . What a mess .

“Our Cause Isn't Lost”

Since: Jan 11

Blairsville, GA

#8 Oct 29, 2013
So, this is the last week the NOTICE OF SALES AND USE TAX ELECTION TO THE QUALIFIED VOTERS OF UNION COUNTY is to be run in the NGN. Has anyone actually read and understood this. Pretty amazing.

The Commissioner really insults our intelligence. This is my read upon the legal garble ripe for the confusion needed for the pied piper to lead his brilliant flock.

As usual he assures us that even though we are incapable of understanding how government works --- not to fear we can trust him to know what is best for us.

He understands that we are confused by all those who are asking what happened to the MILLIONS of dollars and projects he promised in the previous three SPLOSTs...

In short he would like for us to believe that we simply misunderstood what we thought we were voting for then, but not to worry, he allocated the money as we really meant, and he knew was best.

So just because the Jail, the Library, the Park, the Transfer Station, Public Safety, Public Works, and Roads and Bridge didn’t actually receive the monies and/or complete the projects promised, doesn’t mean he didn’t spend the money for other more important things.

After all, you got a new horse barn you didn’t know you were going to get, an over budget pole building to pacify farmers, but really makes a nice flea market.

A brand new over budget COMMUNITY CENTER on the GOLF COURSE that no one in the community can actually afford, but has a great poker table in the men’s bathroom (I’m told) for all those big shots from out of town what’s going to bring all those jobs to Union County, for which most of us are still looking to see. And I could go on and on.

Ok, so basically the Commissioner NOW says we need to EXTEND the TAX now called SPLOST IV, and it looks a lot like we kinda just start over, and a year early (that has previously been explained so he can get another shot if it should fail).

This time, the Commissioner, and to be fair the Mayor also, wants $19,000,000.

Yep, that’s 19 MILLION Dollars over the next 8 years: And they want you to let them, at the same time borrow $10,000,000 up front immediately.

Upon which they will pay interest at up to 6% semiannually starting in June of 2014 until the $19,000,000 is paid. Isn’t that just great. This of course is in addition to your property taxes, which they threaten to raise if you don’t approve this ploy.

Now, the kicker.

The over budget Community Center for which millions have already been spent in construction, and other costs appears again in this SPLOST IV. Read it for yourselves.

It is first upon the list – Acquisition of Union County Community Center pursuant to the Intergovernmental Contract with the Urban Redevelopment Agency of Union County -$5,500,000. Yep, there goes over half of the $10 Million loan the Commissioner intends to borrow up front.

Then look at item (6) Parks and Recreation upgrades, improvements, equipment and vehicles -$3,400,000. So now the Commissioner has spent $8,900,000 of that $10 Million upfront loan.

My friends, that only leaves,$1,100,000 of the upfront borrowed money for Public Safety, Public Works, Water /Sewage, Road/Bridges, and any other vital essential services a community must have.

The remainder of those SPLOST dollars will be available only when and if they are actually collected.

Look again at the list of proposed expenditures, look at past expenditures, and ask yourselves; is this responsible responsive LEADERSHIP, do the priorities reflected in the past, and in this current proposal, epitomize what you believe to be important and in the best interest of a community?

Until our community has answers to creditable questions, with creditable answers in a civil and respectable manner; and the people of this community take an active part in establishing the priorities we wish to have moved forward, such substantial, vague, and totalitarian fiduciary control should not be approved.

VOTE NO SPLOST IV
Vote No

Perry, GA

#11 Oct 30, 2013
Well said. I voted no. I would like an audit done as well, and let us vote again next year.

And Lamar sure seems rattled by it all since he "paid" for an ad to call out the report as all lies.

What was it Macbeth said? "The lady doth protest too much?"
Just a thought

Cleveland, GA

#12 Oct 30, 2013
Vote No wrote:
Well said. I voted no. I would like an audit done as well, and let us vote again next year.
And Lamar sure seems rattled by it all since he "paid" for an ad to call out the report as all lies.
What was it Macbeth said? "The lady doth protest too much?"
Now just what makes you think he paid for the AD. Most likely the ck. will come from the SLUSH fund. I meant to say SPLOST fund. Sorry

“Our Cause Isn't Lost”

Since: Jan 11

Blairsville, GA

#13 Oct 31, 2013
There are a few things that TMV, as well as the NGN (inadvertently, I suspect) have revealed recently that I hope to address before everyone who intends to vote, does.

Nevertheless, everyone knows that as the politician cries, divide and rule; the watchword of the wise is ... unite and lead.

And that, my friends, is exactly what took place in the local elections of 2012, we all together, began a change in our Community, and elected new RESPONSIVE LEADERSHIP, with a new Sheriff and Tax Commissioner.

But, we aren’t finished yet.

On November 5th New RESPONSIVE LEADERSHIP needs to be elected for Blairsville.

The SPLOST IV, now trying to be slithered under the wire, supported by both the Mayor and the Union County Commissioner, must be postponed until answers are given regarding potential, mishandlings, misappropriations, and/or violations of State Law relating to previous SPLOST programs, projects, expenditures/transfers and/or appropriation, as appearing to be identified in the Counties 2012 Audit.

To be successful, once again, in our efforts, it is essential to lay any past personal differences aside, and work in unison to achieve our goals.

As before, it is vital to “Pick battles big enough to matter, yet, small enough to win.”

So therefore, it is crucial that everyone “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”

In this way, we stand to “ Remedy it, not welcome it: a wise man's only two choices.”

At each opportunity, this being our commitment shall prove, at some point as we have previously shown, to be successful.

Thanks again to all those actually doing the foot work in collecting, assembling, providing, and producing the information and offering us all the opportunity to not even leave our homes in viewing the public records; and if we wish, understand what is, in fact, happening in Blairsville/Union County.

And thanks to those taking your time to read my postings.
Just a thought

Commerce, GA

#14 Oct 31, 2013
GA-LAW-FF wrote:
There are a few things that TMV, as well as the NGN (inadvertently, I suspect) have revealed recently that I hope to address before everyone who intends to vote, does.
Nevertheless, everyone knows that as the politician cries, divide and rule; the watchword of the wise is ... unite and lead.
And that, my friends, is exactly what took place in the local elections of 2012, we all together, began a change in our Community, and elected new RESPONSIVE LEADERSHIP, with a new Sheriff and Tax Commissioner.
But, we aren’t finished yet.
On November 5th New RESPONSIVE LEADERSHIP needs to be elected for Blairsville.
The SPLOST IV, now trying to be slithered under the wire, supported by both the Mayor and the Union County Commissioner, must be postponed until answers are given regarding potential, mishandlings, misappropriations, and/or violations of State Law relating to previous SPLOST programs, projects, expenditures/transfers and/or appropriation, as appearing to be identified in the Counties 2012 Audit.
To be successful, once again, in our efforts, it is essential to lay any past personal differences aside, and work in unison to achieve our goals.
As before, it is vital to “Pick battles big enough to matter, yet, small enough to win.”
So therefore, it is crucial that everyone “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
In this way, we stand to “ Remedy it, not welcome it: a wise man's only two choices.”
At each opportunity, this being our commitment shall prove, at some point as we have previously shown, to be successful.
Thanks again to all those actually doing the foot work in collecting, assembling, providing, and producing the information and offering us all the opportunity to not even leave our homes in viewing the public records; and if we wish, understand what is, in fact, happening in Blairsville/Union County.
And thanks to those taking your time to read my postings.
That is most down to earth true and sensible post I have ever read on topix.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John F Kennedy 20 min ivy log leonard 1
Re-Elect Lamar Paris 2016 1 hr Bob 201
Remove Benny Erwin as Coroner 3 hr Ballerina1309 49
boycott mike's seafood till he takes orders at ... (Mar '11) Sat Good grub 251
Sheriff Race Sat jimbo 2 23
Union Hospital Authority Board should resign Sat No Cook 117
3-1 Mason over Wood Sat Inquiring minds 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blairsville Mortgages