Should Taxpyers Fund a new stadium?

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

Since: Aug 10

Cleveland, GA

#1 Feb 18, 2013
No, not when state budgets are so tight that necessary programs are being cut. A want, not a need.
Informed Opinion

United States

#2 Feb 18, 2013
Truthis Blairsville wrote:
No, not when state budgets are so tight that necessary programs are being cut. A want, not a need.
Of course, why should billionaire owners pay for their own facilities- surely taxpayers should "help" them out.
Chaos

Cleveland, GA

#3 Feb 18, 2013
Building facilities for billionaires who can go and watch the millionaires play football.
Bet you did not know

Demorest, GA

#4 Feb 18, 2013
If Lamar can build a horse arena for the Saddle Club surely Atlanta can build a stadium for the Falcons.
nope

Dawsonville, GA

#5 Feb 18, 2013
No, and neither should we fund a new field house for the one here in Blairsville. Times are hard and the bigwheels in govt need to understand that.
a question

Blairsville, GA

#6 Feb 19, 2013
Bet you did not know wrote:
If Lamar can build a horse arena for the Saddle Club surely Atlanta can build a stadium for the Falcons.
I seem to recall someone posting that he's also paying much or many of the bills, such as electricity, associated with the saddle club.

Cleveland, GA

#7 Feb 19, 2013
Seriously, back to the Falcons Stadium....should the hotel tax be used to fund a new one?
Fed Up

Blue Ridge, GA

#8 Feb 19, 2013
Only if we get to keep the profits!!
UC Person

Atlanta, GA

#9 Feb 19, 2013
Do not believe any tax dollars should be used for a private sports facility. Let the owners pay for it!
Roll On Troll

Blairsville, GA

#10 Feb 19, 2013
Why would we need to? If the athletic franchise is a money maker, then the owner can pay for it. If it isn't profitable, then the owner won't build it. You know, that's kind of like most small businesses out here. Doesn't take a genius to figure this out.(Ooops we're talking about politicians)
big news

Dawsonville, GA

#11 Feb 19, 2013
If we "finance" a new stadium, let the filthy rich pro teams pay us back with interest. Let's finally get something for our tax money.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#12 Feb 19, 2013
To start, I agree with you,especially since the stadium will be built to the owners specifications and perks. However, that said, the reality of todays world is that somewhere there is a city that wants pro football and they will build a stadium and the team will move.
The team name will go with them just the location will change, a good example is the Baltimore Colts became the Indianapolis Colts.
Ah yes, the real world of professional sports!

Cleveland, GA

#13 Feb 19, 2013
FED INFO wrote:
To start, I agree with you,especially since the stadium will be built to the owners specifications and perks. However, that said, the reality of todays world is that somewhere there is a city that wants pro football and they will build a stadium and the team will move.
The team name will go with them just the location will change, a good example is the Baltimore Colts became the Indianapolis Colts.
In other words extortion pays?
Roll On Troll

Blairsville, GA

#14 Feb 19, 2013
FED INFO wrote:
Well, it's like the old saying, "Go Braves... and take the Falcons with you..."
credit

Dawsonville, GA

#15 Feb 20, 2013
why not spend it? Even a rural appalachian small town like Union has its own horse arena and artificial turf stadium. No barefoot kids playing in the dirt with a homemade ball here. Why not the best for everyone. There are no conseqences of spending. Sure, you hear a lot of what's going to happen.........but has it. Have you heard of any governments actually failing? Any politicians unable to be paid? Losing any benefits or pensions? NO!!! It ain't gonna happen. Build it and enjoy!
credit

Dawsonville, GA

#16 Feb 20, 2013
Union county has amassed more wealth and infrastucture improvement during hard economic times, than it has since its founding. Just to show you that losing all your factories/jobs and becoming dependent on the government handouts can be very profitable. We've never had it so good. When I see Lamar lose his SUV, and start driving a Beverly Hillbillys type truck...then I'll get worried.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#17 Feb 20, 2013
Bet you did not know wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
The injustice and waste,
can you imagine,
Tennis Courts for Tennis Players
A Swimming Pool for Swimmers,
Six Ball Fields for a seasonal sport,
Walking Trails for walkers.
Those elititest special interests
catered to at every turn,
The Outrage !!!!
Roll On Troll

Blairsville, GA

#18 Feb 20, 2013
Well, the difference in the recreational facilities in Union County and a big new stadium for a professional sports team is that while I can go and enjoy the park, swimming pool, etc., there's no way in hell they're going to let me and my son toss the football around at the professional stadium.
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#19 Feb 20, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>The injustice and waste,
can you imagine,
Tennis Courts for Tennis Players
A Swimming Pool for Swimmers,
Six Ball Fields for a seasonal sport,
Walking Trails for walkers.
Those elititest special interests
catered to at every turn,
The Outrage !!!!
Outrage is right.

It's these darn leeeeeeeeeberal "collectivist" around here.

If you can't afford to build a ballparks and swimming pools for you kids - don't have kids.

Next thing you know, they'll want the Guvment to provide schools, hospitals, nursing homes, and libraries too.

Bah Humbug !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crazy Floridiots 1 hr BV queen 9
Walmart Walk-in Clinic (Jan '11) 2 hr trail90 21
Beware of Invasive non native species destroyin... 4 hr Another day in th... 13
EMC Makes Channel 2 news (Apr '14) 19 hr Need to know 236
Sheriff Sexual Harassment Thu Truth 5
EMC info from Hiawassee Forum Thu Emcfed up 46
Local MD in jail? Apr 22 Question on Healt... 94
More from around the web

Blairsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE