First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Fred

Toccoa, GA

#1 Nov 7, 2013
We have 1 High School and 1 Middle School and one Elementary plus a little school in Suches. That is all.

2/3's of our property tax is School Tax and we pay SSPLOST 1%. A lot of money to these schools.

I went to a small two room school house and learned enough to go to one of the worlds great Universities.

Our kids have super facilities already. Why do we keep paying these administrators such big tax payouts? What does a School Superintendent do in Union, crossword puzzles?

“Our Cause Isn't Lost”

Since: Jan 11

Blairsville, GA

#2 Nov 7, 2013
Fred wrote:
We have 1 High School and 1 Middle School and one Elementary plus a little school in Suches. That is all.
2/3's of our property tax is School Tax and we pay SSPLOST 1%. A lot of money to these schools.
I went to a small two room school house and learned enough to go to one of the worlds great Universities.
Our kids have super facilities already. Why do we keep paying these administrators such big tax payouts? What does a School Superintendent do in Union, crossword puzzles?
Excellent practical observation of the school facilities situation; so we must ask why doesn’t the scholastic averages reflect the same. And that, of course, is a rhetorical question to which we all know the answer.

This and other ESPLOST revenues are more focused upon the money, not the “the children” as always pitched by the salesmen. No, the large revenues are easier to get lost in the system, for the toys of the misappropriations, and greedy we always witness, but most are willing to ignore.
Republican not

Baldwin, GA

#4 Nov 7, 2013
ESPLOST. SPLOST are voted on by the county voters majority voters decide whether or not we want a new gym or a farmers market a Meeks park etc. we get off our azz go out in the county talk to our neighbors unite go to the polls in large groups vote the penny tax extension thru majority rules.

The minority that loses the vote logs on to topix to whine because they didn't take the time or make the effort to get out in the community to drum up the support of their friends & neighbors to vote against the SPLOST he'll most against don't even bother voting the self!

There you go boys & girls VOTE.
Democrap Nonsense

Miami, FL

#5 Nov 7, 2013
More taxes, more taxes. That's the mantra.
Roger

Maysville, GA

#6 Nov 13, 2013
Blairsville started going downhill when we started selling our land to Floridiots. They are always wanting more taxes.
Wonder

Hiawassee, GA

#7 Nov 13, 2013
Roger wrote:
Blairsville started going downhill when we started selling our land to Floridiots. They are always wanting more taxes.
This has to be one of the dumbest statements on record.

Since: Jul 10

Blue Ridge, GA

#8 Nov 13, 2013
I personally think paying a school tax at our age makes about as much sense as being forced to take out maternity care if your 55 plus on Obama's insurance plan.
Informed Opinion

Cape Coral, FL

#9 Nov 13, 2013
ivy log leonard wrote:
I personally think paying a school tax at our age makes about as much sense as being forced to take out maternity care if your 55 plus on Obama's insurance plan.
My son says that personally he thinks paying taxes to support Social Security Medicare, and Medicaid beds for old people too lazy or shiftless to save enough to pay their taxes,
makes about as much sense as paying to support freeloading deadbeat parasites who won't buy medical insurance.

The Greediest Generation - We got ours - nor "F"' everyone else.
My Two Censts

Blairsville, GA

#10 Nov 13, 2013
Republican not wrote:
ESPLOST. SPLOST are voted on by the county voters majority voters decide whether or not we want a new gym or a farmers market a Meeks park etc.....
I venture to say that that's not always true. It's been documents that we've had a lot of projects that weren't in the SPLOST referendum and a lot of projects that were but were cancelled.

Since: Jul 10

Blue Ridge, GA

#11 Nov 13, 2013
Ahhhhh............To informed opinion I would venture to bet I pay more in taxes than you do
Fish beam

Mineral Bluff, GA

#12 Nov 13, 2013
My Two Censts wrote:
<quoted text>
I venture to say that that's not always true. It's been documents that we've had a lot of projects that weren't in the SPLOST referendum and a lot of projects that were but were cancelled.
It is difficult for me to believe that voters would vote for more taxation !!
Sammy

Carnesville, GA

#13 Nov 14, 2013
Fish beam wrote:
<quoted text> It is difficult for me to believe that voters would vote for more taxation !!
Voting manipulation at its finest .
Informed Opinion

Naples, FL

#14 Nov 14, 2013
ivy log leonard wrote:
Ahhhhh..........To informed opinion I would venture to bet I pay more in taxes than you do
1- Probably wrong;

and

2 - If true, so what ?

You probably sent your kids to Union County schools and I paid for them.

I never have, and never will send kids to Union County schools and 9 other school districts where I have paid, and/or pay school taxes,

- so if anyone would have the right to bitch - it's me,

- but I don't have that right because public education is an American right and benefit for all Americans.
Professor

Dawsonville, GA

#15 Nov 14, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
1- Probably wrong;
and
2 - If true, so what ?
You probably sent your kids to Union County schools and I paid for them.
I never have, and never will send kids to Union County schools and 9 other school districts where I have paid, and/or pay school taxes,
- so if anyone would have the right to bitch - it's me,
- but I don't have that right because public education is an American right and benefit for all Americans.
Every child has a right to an education. An education does not include sports and extra curricular activities. In the fifties and sixties the communities would come together and raise enough money to buy uniforms and such through quarter back clubs and what not. Practice was after school and never interfered with school. On some occasions the school would have a pep rally in the last hour of school. Education was put first and spending millions on a football field would have gotten a school board hung by the toes. We will continue our downward spiral until education is made the first priority. Why do you think other countries have passed us by and have better school systems? Money is not the answer. Commitment and the desire to have the best schools is the answer to our problem.
Kirkland

Carnesville, GA

#16 Nov 15, 2013
You are right . Times have changed now . Computers and technology should be used to cut schools , teachers , and administration down . The unions are holding that up . Foolish .
Informed Opinion

Bogotá, Colombia

#17 Nov 15, 2013
Professor wrote:
<quoted text>Every child has a right to an education. An education does not include sports and extra curricular activities. In the fifties and sixties the communities would come together and raise enough money to buy uniforms and such through quarter back clubs and what not. Practice was after school and never interfered with school. On some occasions the school would have a pep rally in the last hour of school. Education was put first and spending millions on a football field would have gotten a school board hung by the toes. We will continue our downward spiral until education is made the first priority. Why do you think other countries have passed us by and have better school systems? Money is not the answer. Commitment and the desire to have the best schools is the answer to our problem.
Good points.
trail90

Hayesville, NC

#18 Nov 15, 2013
Where does it say or imply that public education is a right.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#19 Nov 15, 2013
Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
Every child has a right to an education. An education does not include sports and extra curricular activities. In the fifties and sixties the communities would come together and raise enough money to buy uniforms and such through quarter back clubs and what not. Practice was after school and never interfered with school. On some occasions the school would have a pep rally in the last hour of school. Education was put first and spending millions on a football field would have gotten a school board hung by the toes. We will continue our downward spiral until education is made the first priority. Why do you think other countries have passed us by and have better school systems? Money is not the answer. Commitment and the desire to have the best schools is the answer to our problem.
"Practice was after school and never interfered with school."
Are you suggesting that this is not the case now?

"On some occasions the school would have a pep rally in the last hour of school."
So how is it different today?

"Education was put first and spending millions on a football field would have gotten a school board hung by the toes."
I went to school in the 60's and 70's, and our sports teams used existing facilities within the county school system; a football stadium over there, a basketball court at another school, but as population pressures increased schools that had been traveling would eventually build the need facilities at their own location.

While sports was a part of the educational program it was never paramount, can you provide examples of why you feel that is not the case in Union County.
Professor

Maysville, GA

#20 Nov 15, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
"Practice was after school and never interfered with school."
Are you suggesting that this is not the case now?
"On some occasions the school would have a pep rally in the last hour of school."
So how is it different today?
"Education was put first and spending millions on a football field would have gotten a school board hung by the toes."
I went to school in the 60's and 70's, and our sports teams used existing facilities within the county school system; a football stadium over there, a basketball court at another school, but as population pressures increased schools that had been traveling would eventually build the need facilities at their own location.
While sports was a part of the educational program it was never paramount, can you provide examples of why you feel that is not the case in Union County.
You are the perfect example of what is wrong with our country. You always come up with a reason any dumb stupid and wasteful acts are good for everyone and comes free. A liberal such as yourself should be made to spend 40 days in the desert and fend for themselves just to show you that nothing is free. You have to work for it and the Govt. isn't going to give it to you without taking from someone else to do it . I know why you are such a Paris groupie. Let the grandchildren pay for it. You remind me of a couple of old maid bitties I know.
Professor

Maysville, GA

#21 Nov 15, 2013
For anyone who doesn't think that education isn't important take five minutes and look around you. Where are the goods you bought from. If you call customer service for any large company where is that customer service agent located? Did you know that Allstate is moving to India? Our own companies are abandoning ship because they know the days of this country or numbered unless we do some changing. That is not Obama changing but real common sense changing. We have Republicans and Democrats and they can't do anything to improve the country because they are too busy trying to make each other look bad. If a foreign country were to attack the US the last place they would hit would be Washington because they know Washington is the worst enemy the US could have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Re-Elect Lamar Paris 2016 2 hr Hillary for priso... 379
BRMEMC Director Candidates 5 hr not local 30
Are there any blacks in Blairsville? (Oct '08) 18 hr Save Our Mountains 400
Opinions on Farm Fresh Processing. 20 hr JDC30512 4
Local real estate agencies Sun Steve 2
Sentinel Offender Services Sun Bobbie 2
wake up america ! Fri Ed Anger 1

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance