When purchasing a gun,,, is it stolen ?

When purchasing a gun,,, is it stolen ?

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

Just wondering

Macedonia, OH

#1 Aug 20, 2013
Just wondering if there is any way for a citizen buying a gun from a private party has any way of checking the serial number to see if it has been reported as stolen ?

Would sure be nice if the county allowed access to their database for us to check this. Or do they already ?
Informed Opinion

Naples, FL

#2 Aug 20, 2013
Just wondering wrote:
Just wondering if there is any way for a citizen buying a gun from a private party has any way of checking the serial number to see if it has been reported as stolen ?

Would sure be nice if the county allowed access to their database for us to check this. Or do they already ?
Great post and great idea.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#3 Aug 20, 2013
Just wondering wrote:
How do you know that the Seller can legally posses a gun, but hey, background checks for private transfers would infringe on our Freedomz.
How

Demorest, GA

#4 Aug 20, 2013
Just wondering wrote:

Pay no attention to frick and frack.

If frick was a real retired cop, as he claims, he would know about the info below and would have given it to you.

Of course not every gun stolen has been reported, as most gun owners may not know their serial number.

The National Crime Informaton System (NCIS) keeps records of stolen items. Only law enforcement officers have access to this system.

Try these 2 websites......

http://www.firearmsfax.com/

http://www.hotgunz.com/
Billy

Dawsonville, GA

#6 Aug 20, 2013
Just wondering wrote:
. The sheriffs office will run the numbers for you free of charge
Fried

Murphy, NC

#7 Aug 21, 2013
This is a great post and good info. You should never assume anything. Check out the serial numbers before buying.
U R NUTS

Braselton, GA

#8 Aug 22, 2013
Both How, and Billy offer good advice.

Personally, I prefer inquiry at the local Sheriff's Department, and obtaining as much verification as practical or possible.

Of course if you get a hit, questions will ensue.
Just wodering

Hiram, OH

#9 Aug 23, 2013
Had mine checked by the Sheriffs Dept. Not only do you need the serial number, but also the make, model and caliber too. All mine came back clean.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PSA for young, unmarried women 8 min I hate rednecks 18
Where's Timmy ? 7 hr Pumpkin 16
Places for rent. 22 hr Juan 15
NGN lied in article Thu Pumpkin 26
Union general Hospital Thu Get off drugs dop... 4
UCSO is a joke Thu Shut the hell up 3
Why are people so rude amd hateful on this page Oct 17 dgd478 75

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance