Just Mike

Dawsonville, GA

#1 Mar 18, 2013
I'm cutting up and splitting lots of fallen pines currently, and am surprised to learn that most folks I know with fireplaces don't want it (free!) to burn. Too much creosote, they say.

Anybody know a use for the free, split wood? I'm told that even local campgrounds won't take it because the campfires burning pine are too smokey. I hate to "pollute" by burning it in a pit just to get rid of it. Any thoughts as to getting rid of it otherwise?

Since: Jul 10

Morganton, GA

#2 Mar 18, 2013
I have used pine wood before. It should be seasoned before you use it in a stove. Makes a good hot fire although it will not last as long as the hardwood. It's the resin in the pine while its still green that gives the wood a bad rap. Properly dried, it has no more smoke that any other wood.
dopey

Dawsonville, GA

#3 Mar 18, 2013
It tars up chimneys and is therefore a safety hazard. Plus it burns fast.
Curious

Ellijay, GA

#4 Mar 18, 2013
Use small amount to start fire and then put in some hard wood (oak, hickory).
Wow

United States

#5 Mar 26, 2013
If you still have it available, I have a use for it.
Just Mike

Twinsburg, OH

#6 Mar 26, 2013
Wow wrote:
If you still have it available, I have a use for it.
Thanks for the offer, but I've got it stacked and drying for use in 9 - 12 months.

I did some further "research" and learned that many chimney cleaning professionals claim that "which type" of wood burned doesn't matter. What is important is that the wood be "dried out", aka seasoned. Creosote will not form in chimneys if the temperature is maintained at 250 degrees or higher, but moisture in ANY wood to be burned causes lower temps and actually condenses creosote on the surfaces. Yes... dried pine DOES burn faster, but it also burns very hot, too. So, if we burn pine then we shouldn't make "wimpy" fires, I suppose.
Wood Stove Burner

Franklin, NC

#7 Mar 27, 2013
I am surprised because I have used a wood stove for 20 years and was told early on pine (no matter what the age) causes cresote to build up in the chimney creating a fire hazard.
uct

Murphy, NC

#8 Mar 27, 2013
If pine was that bad how would anyone in south Georgia have keep warm Pine is fine if it is seasoned
Just Mike

Dahlonega, GA

#9 Mar 27, 2013
Wood Stove Burner wrote:
I am surprised because I have used a wood stove for 20 years and was told early on pine (no matter what the age) causes cresote to build up in the chimney creating a fire hazard.
The research indicated that many who use "wood stoves" like yourself use a little "trick" overnight to keep the stove warm. They nearly close the air supply vents to "keep it going" until they wake in the morning to crank it up again. This causes much lower temps in the pipe/ductwork overnight and is notorious for causing creosote buildup.

BTW- it isn't the high amount of sap/pitch in pine that causes creosote buildup... it is the WATER in that sap that causes the problem by causing lower than 250 degree chimney temps. The water vapor actually actually condenses on the pipe, collecting the creosote. Dried out sap/pitch actually burns easily... and HOT, which is good.

I'm certainly no genius here- this is all from Google searches and remember... the Internet is NEVER wrong. >;-)
Sandy

Lilburn, GA

#10 Feb 22, 2014
http://www.caes.uga.edu/topics/disasters/wint... . This is a good UGA article about pine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 2 min DrButt 56,778
Steve's Buffet is BACK 3 min Love Blairsville 9
Dash Cams, You need them!!!! 2 hr sweetie 8
Can a Liberal be a Christian? 2 hr IM Hopper 88
Remove EMC BOARD and Akins 5 hr Donnie 26
Science Against Evolution - Very Interesting 5 hr Truth or NOT 1
Outlet Mall coming to Blairsville ? 7 hr cartersmate35 54
Steve's Steakhouse 17 hr Just sayin 184

Blairsville News Video

Blairsville Jobs

Blairsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Blairsville News, Events & Info