First Prev
of 2
Next Last
GaGirl64

Okeechobee, FL

#1 May 24, 2013
Anyone know where some good hiking places are?
Traveler

Comer, GA

#2 May 24, 2013
They're everywhere up here - you can hike for a mile to see a waterfall, up to Brasstown Bald, multiple segments of the Appalachian Trail - Easy, Moderate or Strenuous! Best thing to do is get a book about hiking in Northeast Georgia. I got mine at Mountain Crossings up at Walasi-Yi (top of the mountain on 129S/Cleveland Highway) but Blairsville Bikes and Hikes in Downtown Blairsville has lots of books and the guys there are very helpful. Happy Hiking!
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#3 May 24, 2013
The Blood Mountain section of the Trail is a great place to start.
Union County USA

Chagrin Falls, OH

#4 May 25, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
The Blood Mountain section of the Trail is a great place to start.
Take water, if you go from Neals Gap to Blood Mtn.
Water

Jefferson, GA

#5 May 26, 2013
If you are hiking on any trail in N. GA always take water. If you are walking in Meeks Park - take water. If you are going to the bathroom in the middle of the night (Yep....I'm old) take water.

Water..........the elixir of life!!

Seriously, if you are walking for exercise or hiking for distance, water is your friend.
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#6 May 26, 2013
After encountering a few snakes that made unpleasant sounds, I also carry a Taurus Judge loaded with 410 shells.

People say they can hit a snake with a pistol round - but I couldn't in a million years.
uct

Blue Ridge, GA

#7 May 27, 2013
wow I agree with you. A great hike is to high shoals water falls just south of ga 180 and ga 75 Its all downhill going in and of course all uphill out 2 very nice water falls with observation decks. Close to 4 miles total Just got back from there with the beagles.( did not see any snakes)
Union County USA

Chagrin Falls, OH

#8 May 27, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
After encountering a few snakes that made unpleasant sounds, I also carry a Taurus Judge loaded with 410 shells.
People say they can hit a snake with a pistol round - but I couldn't in a million years.
Leave the snakes alone. They rarely bother you. Take the Taurus Judge for hopefully rare snakes like the venomous Gary Hilton.
GaGirl64

Okeechobee, FL

#9 May 29, 2013
Yes I believe water is your friend. I hate snakes. Who is Gary Hilton, or what is Gary Hilton? Thanks for the recommendation. I went to the Ocoee River and hiked this past weekend Nice.

“Dont care how you did it in FL”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#10 May 29, 2013
Like fer all tham Floridians to hike back to florida.
For Sure

Otto, NC

#11 May 29, 2013
This coming from the guy who is suppose to have a "good heart".
Timmy_ wrote:
Like fer all tham Floridians to hike back to florida.

Location hidden

#12 May 29, 2013
For Sure wrote:
This coming from the guy who is suppose to have a "good heart".
<quoted text>
I do have a good heart I would charter a bus for em so they wouldn't have to walk.
For Sure

Otto, NC

#13 May 29, 2013
As long as they weren't Floridians or Yankees.
Timmy_ wrote:
<quoted text>I do have a good heart I would charter a bus for em so they wouldn't have to walk.
Union County USA

Jefferson, GA

#14 May 29, 2013
GaGirl64 wrote:
Yes I believe water is your friend. I hate snakes. Who is Gary Hilton, or what is Gary Hilton? Thanks for the recommendation. I went to the Ocoee River and hiked this past weekend Nice.
http://www.fbi.gov/charlotte/press-releases/2...

Location hidden

#15 May 29, 2013
For Sure wrote:
As long as they weren't Floridians or Yankees.
<quoted text>
Hello that's what I'm talking about. I would charter a bus for all the floridiots/yankees to go back.
For Sure

Otto, NC

#16 May 30, 2013
You say so much "crap" it's hard to keep track.
Timmy_ wrote:
<quoted text>Hello that's what I'm talking about. I would charter a bus for all the floridiots/yankees to go back.
Just Mike

New York, NY

#17 May 30, 2013
uct wrote:
wow I agree with you. A great hike is to high shoals water falls just south of ga 180 and ga 75 Its all downhill going in and of course all uphill out 2 very nice water falls with observation decks. Close to 4 miles total Just got back from there with the beagles.( did not see any snakes)
Thanks for the tip- my son and I tried High Shoals day before yesterday. You are right about all uphill two miles back- whew! Two things to add: 1) the 1.1 miles of unpaved road to the trailhead includes crossing a stream that is a bit wide right now, so I wouldn't recommend this for motorcycle groups... and it is all uphill so if car overheats easily the be advised.

2) We went in late afternoon, so there was no direct sun since the trail is entirely on east face of mountain. It's actually kind of dark at the falls by 5pm. Next time we'll try for a morning hike there.

Again- great recommendation... very pretty!

Since: Jul 10

Blairsville, GA

#18 May 30, 2013
I did the Arkaquah Trail starting at the parking lot at Trackrock Gap Road last week. Have not hiked in 20 years and am now getting older (74). I made the 1 mile trip to the top of the first section which is probably the most strenuous. It took me 3 hours with many stops to rest. Only 1.5 hours coming back down. I should have spent some time preparing myself prior to this hike. Maybe with a little more physical preparation at Meeks, I will give it another try but I did enjoy the view at the top.
Just Mike

New York, NY

#19 Jun 1, 2013
Trackrock Sailor wrote:
I did the Arkaquah Trail starting at the parking lot at Trackrock Gap Road last week. Have not hiked in 20 years and am now getting older (74). I made the 1 mile trip to the top of the first section which is probably the most strenuous. It took me 3 hours with many stops to rest. Only 1.5 hours coming back down.
Hi Sailor... that section you did is a series of switchbacks up the face, right? It truly is brutal... but the remaining 3 or so miles after to Brasstown Bald are comparatively much easier as I recall. I gotta get my butt out there again... such pretty views. See you out there.
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#20 Jun 1, 2013
Trackrock Sailor wrote:
I did the Arkaquah Trail starting at the parking lot at Trackrock Gap Road last week. Have not hiked in 20 years and am now getting older (74). I made the 1 mile trip to the top of the first section which is probably the most strenuous. It took me 3 hours with many stops to rest. Only 1.5 hours coming back down. I should have spent some time preparing myself prior to this hike. Maybe with a little more physical preparation at Meeks, I will give it another try but I did enjoy the view at the top.
Good for you.

That's my favorite trail.

I hope you make it a habit - Arkaquah is good for the body and the soul.

Safe hiking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sybil Denise Bellew (Dec '12) 1 hr ladyjetfan 66
Denise bellew 2 hr Gerri 1
Are there any blacks in Blairsville? (Oct '08) 3 hr Linda Eldridge 397
Re-Elect Lamar Paris 2016 3 hr voter 376
Cooks only shot Wed Trackrocker 8
BRMEMC Director Candidates Aug 23 Curious is stupid 28
Full throttle Aug 23 Apostle Paul 7

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance