Judge Barrett went all Dirty Harry in the Lumpkin County Courthouse!

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of120
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
I Rocked Iraq

Clarkesville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

Judged:

I SAW THIS IN ANOTHER TOWN'S TOPIX'S SO I JUST COPIED IT FOR OUR TOWN! I checked it out and the AJC STUFF IS ACCURATE. WELL NOW FOR YOUR READING ENJOYMENT!!! I was reading the State news in the Atlanta Journal Constitution Online [it's free] today. I was shocked to see an article ENTITLED "Judge Brandishes Gun In Court".It detailed how Enotah Circuit Head Judge David E. Barrett pulled his pistol out from under his robe Wed. while on the Lumpkin Co. court bench and came down off the bench and offered it to a client to "SHOOT HER ATTORNEY". D.A. Jeff Langley had to calm him down and make him put the gun down, as he was waving it about. HE HAS TO GO.
Here it Is

Jefferson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

Judged:

umpkin County Superior Court Judge David E. Barrett pulled out his pistol Wednesday not in anger, but out of frustration and to make "a poor rhetorical point," District Attorney Jeff Langley said Saturday. Langley, who was in the courtroom when it happened, said the Judicial Qualifications Commission has launched an investigation of the judge.

"It was totally inappropriate conduct for a courtroom," Langley said. The district attorney said that he approached the bench after Barrett pulled out his gun and told the judge to put his pistol away. The judge did so and the hearing continued, Langley said.

Barrett, chief judge of the Enotah Judicial Circuit, did not immediately respond to emails or to phone calls left at his office Saturday. Under Georgia law, judges are allowed to carry a concealed weapon on the bench, but it is a crime to point a pistol at another person when there is no justification to do so.

Jeff Davis, director of the Judicial Qualifications Commission, said Saturday he could neither confirm nor deny whether the judicial watchdog agency was investigating Barrett.

The bizarre conduct occurred Wednesday during a bond hearing and a request for a temporary protective order against Scott Sugarman, a former Hall County sheriff's deputy who was recently arrested on a number of charges, including rape and aggravated assault with a handgun. Sugarman has pleaded not guilty.

The woman who filed the charges against Sugarman was on the witness stand and had testified Sugarman had abused her and, on one occasion, had put a gun to her head. During the latter part of her testimony, the woman was not being cooperative, Langley said.

Barrett told the woman she was "killing her case" and pulled out his gun and, feigning to offer it to her, said, "You might as well shoot your lawyer," Langley said.

At that point, Langley said, he approached the bench and told the judge to put the gun away.

The woman's lawyer, Andrea Conarro of Dahlonega, on Saturday described the scene, as Barrett swept the pistol across the courtroom, "as one of those slow motion kind of events."

"Later, as it sunk in, I was upset, and I felt like a tragedy had been created," she said, adding that by "tragedy" she meant what could happen to Barrett because of what he did.

Both Conarro and Langley said the woman, whose name is being withheld because The Atlanta Journal-Constitution does not disclose the names of victims of alleged sexual assault, did not appear to be traumatized.

"My client thought it was a test, that he was trying to see how she would respond, like it was a credibility determination," Conarro said.

Said Langley, "When it happened, I objected and sought to take control of the situation and terminate that conduct immediately."
UC Voter

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

Judged:

Hilarious! This is stuff movies are made of.
my view

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

Judged:

All the elected officials need to go in this town. They are totally out of control.
He ck

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

Judged:

Pretty bad when you need courthouse security for protection from a judge.

Judges should be treated no different then the everyday citizen, they too lose control.

From what is written in these forums Barrett's been out of control.
He ck

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

Judged:

How do you think our award winning Normie will write this in the NGN this week?

Should be interesting.
Peter

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

"In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence ... in time every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out its duties ... Work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence."
my view wrote:
All the elected officials need to go in this town. They are totally out of control.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

Judged:

Well, I've heard of the "Hangin' Judge", but this one is really off the wall. He's nuts!
UC Voter

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

Judged:

We need more judges like this than the liberal let-em-go on probation judges. I'm still backing Judge Barrett. What a hoot! What, you TOPIX people don't have a sense of humor. I love this judge! He ain't goin' no where.
BoDiddly

Blackwood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

Judged:

I'm missing the funny part of this one. This judge waved a loaded pistol at a courtroom full of people and offered it to someone to shoot their lawyer.
If anyone besides a judge had done that, they would have been arrested for aggravated assault with a firearm.
I guess if you're a judge you can just do what you want.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

Judged:

Reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon is a felony in GA. Is that humorous enough?
Ezie Thair

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

Judged:

Enough of David E. Barrett's abusive treatment of women who have the grave misfortune to appear before him as litigants, court reporters, and counsel. He, as the self-appointed president of the He-Man Woman Haters Club has got to go. Waving a gun at a woman who seeks the protection of the Court - after having a gun held to her head- IS NOT FUNNY! Get him JQC.
Kill The Nutjobs

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

Judged:

Go ahead, punk. Make my day.
nowthatsfunny

Jefferson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

Judged:

Kill The Nutjobs wrote:
Go ahead, punk. Make my day.
omg I can't stop laughing at topix tonight.
Sean

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2012

Judged:

UC Voter wrote:
We need more judges like this than the liberal let-em-go on probation judges. I'm still backing Judge Barrett. What a hoot! What, you TOPIX people don't have a sense of humor. I love this judge! He ain't goin' no where.
With idiots like you and Lamar paris , your are right , he aint going anywherre .
Sean

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2012

Judged:

Where were those bright BALLIFFS ?
He ck

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2012

Judged:

Ole Hang Em High Barrett should be given a little bit of his own justice.
it is about time

Hotchkiss, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2012

Judged:

Enough said, I had hoped eventually, rational people would begin to see this man's true colors.

Since: Jan 12

Cleveland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2012

Judged:

it is about time wrote:
Enough said, I had hoped eventually, rational people would begin to see this man's true colors.
For the last year I have looked for justice in Union county and havn't found it. Maybe the AJC will finally bring to light the corruption of this county.
hmmm

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2012

Judged:

If I pulled out a gun in court could I continue the hearing?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of120
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

38 Users are viewing the Blairsville Forum right now

Search the Blairsville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 5 min Aggie23 47,536
Super Gary Steppe Union Schools wants Pay raise 38 min Harrry 5
Autopsies performed on bodies found in Blairsvi... 59 min Mountains Noise 3
BRMEMC Group being formed 2 hr Friend 21
BRMEMC New manager? 9 hr Friend 17
Patrick Malone 10 hr PTM 11
NormC answers Dark Male questions 10 hr Just a Thought 70
•••
•••

Blairsville News Video

•••
•••

Blairsville Jobs