thinking of moving to Blairsville

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Klg

Redan, GA

#1 Nov 20, 2013
I am a 55 year old single woman who currently lives right outside metro Atlanta, and I am tired of it. I have spent some time in Blairsville, most recently a week in July. I really love the scenery and I think the demographics and pace of life are more suited to me now. I am semi retired and just worry about what it is really like to live there, and if it is hard to make new friends there. Where are good places to go, things to watch out for, etc.? Thanks in advance, this will be a major move for me but I have got to get out of here, and of all the places I have been in Georgia, Blairsville seems like the best choice.
Winder

Cornelia, GA

#2 Nov 21, 2013
Klg wrote:
I am a 55 year old single woman who currently lives right outside metro Atlanta, and I am tired of it. I have spent some time in Blairsville, most recently a week in July. I really love the scenery and I think the demographics and pace of life are more suited to me now. I am semi retired and just worry about what it is really like to live there, and if it is hard to make new friends there. Where are good places to go, things to watch out for, etc.? Thanks in advance, this will be a major move for me but I have got to get out of here, and of all the places I have been in Georgia, Blairsville seems like the best choice.
Watch out for rule under a KING named Lamar Paris . One man sole county commissioner and you will know , if you make the mistake of coming to Blairsville to live . Sorry but the truth hurts sometime . Towns county , or Blue ridge is better .
big news

United States

#3 Nov 21, 2013
Winder wrote:
<quoted text>Watch out for rule under a KING named Lamar Paris . One man sole county commissioner and you will know , if you make the mistake of coming to Blairsville to live . Sorry but the truth hurts sometime . Towns county , or Blue ridge is better .
Watch out for the county commissioner? The county commissioner? This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard [lately].
Sue

Cornelia, GA

#5 Nov 21, 2013
Also check out Union County News Update on this web site . Determine for yourself . All true .
Sara

Commerce, GA

#6 Nov 21, 2013
Consider the taxes if you are retired. 7% sales that comes right out of your retirement income/savings and NO exemption for School Tax. Your tax bill won't be much better than Metro A.

If you expect to work, Walmart or a service job but expect minimum pay. A lot of cronyism for any decent jobs.

The Commissioner is a tax hound so do not expect your taxes to go anywhere but up. We have a sole commissioner and some people are saying he may be corrupt.

We have a lot of great churches and it is a good way to break into the community and make friends.

Not much to do, especially in the winter. Going back to Atlanta is about 1.5 hours any way.

The weather is colder than A by 6 to 8 degrees. It makes a big difference in the winter. Cold here.

A lot of really nice people, but most A neighborhoods have nice people.

Shopping is non existent outside of Walmart and Alexanders. You have to go to Atlanta or Chattanooga to shop.

Traffic is significant in the summer and fall but not nearly like A.

Low crime, but there is a lot of drug activity.

I might think of more later. Bye.
Your Sign

Atlanta, GA

#7 Nov 21, 2013
Klg wrote:
The biggest thing you need to watch out for is all these people on Topix. Remember that place in high school where the smokers hung out. And who was usually the smokers? Those are the same people that congregate here on Topix. Go talk to real people. Talk to the Chamber of Commerce. But take anything you get here with a huge dose of skepticism.
Will

Cornelia, GA

#8 Nov 21, 2013

Chamber is part of Paris . What would you expect ?
How Sad

Blairsville, GA

#9 Nov 21, 2013
This is another example of why ACOG, MV and the people that do nothing but run down our community are tuned out, locked out and ignored. Union County is lucky to have dedicated leaders and citizens that freely contribute to our community for a better quality of life through their public and community service. What if ....the energy spent on tearing down this community and soliciting money for a 24 page propaganda paper was redirected to the children, those in need,and volunteering to the many community and civic groups this community.... I pray you find peace.
Laughing at U

Blairsville, GA

#10 Nov 21, 2013
Klg wrote:
Ignore most of the idiots on Topix. Blairsville is a nice place to live. You've been here, so you know all about the scenery and rural setting. Since you're used to metro Atlanta, you'll have some adjustments - not as convenient in terms of stores and restaurants. If you can deal with that and like peace and quiet, this is the place for you. If you want to meet people, get involved in church and volunteer organizations. The Humane Society always needs help. There are a few bars in the area now, Copperhead Lodge, The View Grill, Fatz if that's your kind of thing.
Kiln

Mineral Bluff, GA

#11 Nov 21, 2013
Winder wrote:
<quoted text>Watch out for rule under a KING named Lamar Paris . One man sole county commissioner and you will know , if you make the mistake of coming to Blairsville to live . Sorry but the truth hurts sometime . Towns county , or Blue ridge is better .
Property and school taxes are much lower too.
Kiln

Mineral Bluff, GA

#12 Nov 21, 2013
Laughing at U wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignore most of the idiots on Topix. Blairsville is a nice place to live. You've been here, so you know all about the scenery and rural setting. Since you're used to metro Atlanta, you'll have some adjustments - not as convenient in terms of stores and restaurants. If you can deal with that and like peace and quiet, this is the place for you. If you want to meet people, get involved in church and volunteer organizations. The Humane Society always needs help. There are a few bars in the area now, Copperhead Lodge, The View Grill, Fatz if that's your kind of thing.
It was once a nice place to live, before a certain king and his rules ruined it.
Kiln

Mineral Bluff, GA

#14 Nov 21, 2013
Sara wrote:
Consider the taxes if you are retired. 7% sales that comes right out of your retirement income/savings and NO exemption for School Tax. Your tax bill won't be much better than Metro A.
If you expect to work, Walmart or a service job but expect minimum pay. A lot of cronyism for any decent jobs.
The Commissioner is a tax hound so do not expect your taxes to go anywhere but up. We have a sole commissioner and some people are saying he may be corrupt.
We have a lot of great churches and it is a good way to break into the community and make friends.
Not much to do, especially in the winter. Going back to Atlanta is about 1.5 hours any way.
The weather is colder than A by 6 to 8 degrees. It makes a big difference in the winter. Cold here.
A lot of really nice people, but most A neighborhoods have nice people.
Shopping is non existent outside of Walmart and Alexanders. You have to go to Atlanta or Chattanooga to shop.
Traffic is significant in the summer and fall but not nearly like A.
Low crime, but there is a lot of drug activity.
I might think of more later. Bye.
Accuracy in the description of Blairsville,is very good in this post !
Georgia Idiots

Alto, GA

#15 Nov 21, 2013
If you have teenagers don't move here...drugs and drinking run rapid here among teens and there is nothing at all for kids to do other to hang out, drink and do drugs..It's very sad. Drugs are everywhere but being such a small town with nothing else to do for teens its extremely bad here.

Also stay off of topix and you will be fine, most of the town jerks are on here so don't go by what they say.. To meet people personally in the town you will find most to be very nice.
Kiln

Mineral Bluff, GA

#16 Nov 21, 2013
Georgia Idiots wrote:
If you have teenagers don't move here...drugs and drinking run rapid here among teens and there is nothing at all for kids to do other to hang out, drink and do drugs..It's very sad. Drugs are everywhere but being such a small town with nothing else to do for teens its extremely bad here.
Also stay off of topix and you will be fine, most of the town jerks are on here so don't go by what they say.. To meet people personally in the town you will find most to be very nice.
Their is many things young people can take advantage of . One is a stroll in meeks park,skinny dipping in butternut creek, playing cowboy at the horse arena.To name a few.
PHD

Commerce, GA

#17 Nov 21, 2013
Laughing at U wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Norman.
Laughing at U

Blairsville, GA

#18 Nov 21, 2013
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Norman.
You might ought to study up for that PHD a bit longer, you're not exactly a genius.
trail90

Blue Ridge, GA

#19 Nov 21, 2013
If you rent it does not matter however if you buy Fannin has a much better chance of you making money. I would visit both downtowns and then decide. Your taxes will be about the same unless you are 65 or older then they will be over double in Union.
Kiln

Mineral Bluff, GA

#20 Nov 21, 2013
trail90 wrote:
If you rent it does not matter however if you buy Fannin has a much better chance of you making money. I would visit both downtowns and then decide. Your taxes will be about the same unless you are 65 or older then they will be over double in Union.
Fannin sure is a nice place for Seniors.Imagine not having to bear the burden school taxs.Soon a walmart store will open in Blue Ridge.Fannin County is the better of the two,so i highly recommend it.
Bears Way

Hollywood, FL

#21 Nov 21, 2013
Kig, if you are in a good place in your life, then you will love Blairsville. It is not the answer for a person looking for a new start. You can be at peace and stay busy in
Blairsville.
Kiln

Mineral Bluff, GA

#22 Nov 21, 2013
Bears Way wrote:
Kig, if you are in a good place in your life, then you will love Blairsville. It is not the answer for a person looking for a new start. You can be at peace and stay busy in
Blairsville.
Yes you will need to find work and stay busy in order to have enough money to pay taxes in U.C.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Re-Elect Lamar Paris 2016 4 hr not local 375
Cooks only shot Wed Trackrocker 8
BRMEMC Director Candidates Tue Curious is stupid 28
Full throttle Tue Apostle Paul 7
Are there any blacks in Blairsville? (Oct '08) Mon tellico 396
Where can I find a fresh meat market? Aug 22 Hanging Meat 5
Hillary Clinton for President ! Aug 20 dgd748 83

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance