Supercenter is Underway

Oct 31, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Fetch Your News

Fannin County is just a few months away from the doors of Wal-Mart opening. Although they will not be here by this upcoming Black Friday, locals will not have to travel to Blairsville or Ellijay much longer.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of47
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Doo little

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Rich Golfer wrote:
My point is people think they are saving money when, in fact, they aren't in the long run.
WalMart, by design, rapes taxpayers. Do I like that? No.
I do not want to regulate any business. WalMart makes a huge profit - enough so they could pay a living wage to their employees who work their butts off.
WalMart is smart. The turn-over is huge and people don't stay with the company very long because the pay is bad, hours are crap, and there is little to no promotion. Rather than promote people inhouse - WalMart will move managers and associates to a location.
My 64 year old friend worked for WalMart Optical. She earned $8 an hour. Training was on-going and her expertise improved but her salary didn't.
So, Informed, what am I?
His point is the top of his head .
Ga Girl 56

Roswell, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

I give up!! Someone does not get what I'm saying at all. So we just agree to disagree.
Just Mike

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

Ga Girl 56 wrote:
<quoted text>32 hours is considered full time if I remember correctly thus they would be eligible for benefits. Plus $8 per hour can seem like a lot if you don't have a job, no food in the fridge and children to feed. Walmart didn't kill downtown Ellijay like we all thought it would and all the grocery stores seem pretty busy.
Hey listen... I DO shop at Walmart!! My monthly prescription (no insurance) is $82...$140 at CVS and $127 at Blairsville Pharmacy. Therefore, no matter WHAT "Rich Golfer" says, it's a no brainer choice for me.

Ultimately, on a budget like mine, PRICE matters. My post wasn't really "bashing" Walmart... just saying it is a "mixed" blessing. BTW... I don't think downtown BR will be affected... too special and nice. Nor will Merciers, either.
Never Give Up

Jefferson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

The Fannin County tags will soon be missing at the Blairsville WALMART. Yes a significant number of Fannin County residents have shopped here since it first opened in Union County. That extra 1% SPLOST will be collecting less money at the highest tax collection point in Union County. Has our local Dictator Lamar Paris taken this into consideration? Heck no because he will put any deficiency on us local residents. Way to go BO BO!!
Fud

Cornelia, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

A lot of Union county voters will be shopping in Fannin county once Walmart opens.
I for one already choose to shop there
Ga Girl 56

Roswell, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

Just Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey listen... I DO shop at Walmart!! My monthly prescription (no insurance) is $82...$140 at CVS and $127 at Blairsville Pharmacy. Therefore, no matter WHAT "Rich Golfer" says, it's a no brainer choice for me.
Ultimately, on a budget like mine, PRICE matters. My post wasn't really "bashing" Walmart... just saying it is a "mixed" blessing. BTW... I don't think downtown BR will be affected... too special and nice. Nor will Merciers, either.
Yes, you were bashing Walmart and those that choose to work there. You were doing exactly that. It took someone like me just staying after you to make you admit it. I have insurance and still have to pay $320 for a 3 month supply of medication. It's tough, I know that but don't let your feelings about your misfortune of not having insurance cloud the issue. That has nothing to do with what you were talking about. I'm just sick and tired of people bashing big businesses and the people that work for them for, yeah, maybe, not such a great wage but lots of them do it and I respect the Hell out of each and ever one of them and so should you. I'm angry. I need to take a break.
Ga Girl 56

Roswell, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

Just Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry I went off on you like that but I just think any business in the community or any other, small business or large, we should all be grateful. Whether they work 5 or 500. Each and every one of them is important. That's all I'm trying to say. Once again, I' apoligize.
ddguy

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

I live in Ellijay and look forward to my trips to Blue Ridge where I make Roses a must stop. Some of their prices beat Walmart. And when it is garden season, look out here I come. They have wonderful plants with wonderful prices. Please don't let Roses disappear.
gamule

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Just a thought wrote:
The new Walmart will be both a blessing and a death sentence. It will give people a place to find almost anything made in China but will be the end of several small businesses.
not hurting much in Blairsville seeing as walmart is as high if not higher than the local stores
tmv post

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

I was just up in Blairsville, and had the pleasure of meeting Union Counties former Commissioner, Harold Cook. I dropped by his shop, H Cook Tires over off the Square, to drop off more copies of the "Union County News Report" and to meet him.

While I was there, I had him put me on 4 new tires. I needed them badly because they've been wearing out fast recently. The reason for this specific post, on this specific thread is as follows:

#1) My last set of tires I bought from Walmart down in Dawsonville. Good tires, good price - no complaint there. I bought the lowest priced "Economy" tires.

However, when I bought a comparable set from H Cook Tires, the price was no different.

2) The Service WAS different. Mr Cook was the 1st person to catch a problem with my tires that Walmart hadn't. I've had a continual balancing problem with my tires, and they have been wearing very fast, and its been running a bit wobbly. He was the first person to catch the fact that one of my wheels/rims was actually warped by a hard knock I took on a pothole.

I SHOP AT WALMART sometimes. In this economy it does help that it carries some things I can save money on. But my point here is that there are plenty of things we can buy local. When we can buy from a local man or woman - then it trickles down throughout the chain into other local pockets. That money continues to circulate at the local restaurants, and other shops etc. When you buy at Walmart - that money goes corporate.

Walmart isn't of its own nature inherently evil - but allowing it to become so prevalent that the citizens get lazy and forget to look around before they buy - is evil. And it is disloyalty to your community and neighbors.

It takes a little bit of effort, but we should all think a bit about what we buy, how much we really save on certain things, and at least make the attempt to shop local when possible.
just me

Demorest, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

tmv post wrote:
I was just up in Blairsville, and had the pleasure of meeting Union Counties former Commissioner, Harold Cook. I dropped by his shop, H Cook Tires over off the Square, to drop off more copies of the "Union County News Report" and to meet him.
While I was there, I had him put me on 4 new tires. I needed them badly because they've been wearing out fast recently. The reason for this specific post, on this specific thread is as follows:
#1) My last set of tires I bought from Walmart down in Dawsonville. Good tires, good price - no complaint there. I bought the lowest priced "Economy" tires.
However, when I bought a comparable set from H Cook Tires, the price was no different.
2) The Service WAS different. Mr Cook was the 1st person to catch a problem with my tires that Walmart hadn't. I've had a continual balancing problem with my tires, and they have been wearing very fast, and its been running a bit wobbly. He was the first person to catch the fact that one of my wheels/rims was actually warped by a hard knock I took on a pothole.
I SHOP AT WALMART sometimes. In this economy it does help that it carries some things I can save money on. But my point here is that there are plenty of things we can buy local. When we can buy from a local man or woman - then it trickles down throughout the chain into other local pockets. That money continues to circulate at the local restaurants, and other shops etc. When you buy at Walmart - that money goes corporate.
Walmart isn't of its own nature inherently evil - but allowing it to become so prevalent that the citizens get lazy and forget to look around before they buy - is evil. And it is disloyalty to your community and neighbors.
It takes a little bit of effort, but we should all think a bit about what we buy, how much we really save on certain things, and at least make the attempt to shop local when possible.
I guess they can't say you don't spend money in Blairsville any more. Thanks for shopping at Harold's. We have also bought tires from Harold. Great person and HONEST.
Will

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Hope to see the day Lamar is out of a job and has to change his own tire , although I doubt Lamar is smart enough .
Just Plain Dumb

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Will wrote:
Hope to see the day Lamar is out of a job and has to change his own tire , although I doubt Lamar is smart enough .
I'm betting he isn't on welfare like you.
libby

Social Circle, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

local wrote:
$8/hr x 32hr/wk x 52 wks/yr =$13,312/yr.
about half the national poverty level.
Well, our family of 4 has been living on this amount a year for several years now. But, everything has gotten so expensive, especially food, that there is more week left at the the end of the money now. I don't understand why things have to be so high! The pay has not gone up much. Or if it has the company cuts your hours to keep from having to pay you a descent weeks pay.
AMERICA HAS FAILED US . WE ARE NO LONGER FREE AND HAVE TO DEPEND ON THE GOVERNMENT TO SURVIVE . THIS SUX!!!
Informed Opinion

Naples, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

local wrote:

Stop your whining.

You are a serf that exist to serve the Walton family.

Why, if they were forced to pay a living wage and decent benefits, their fortunes might be reduced to the unacceptable amount of $68 Billion Dollars, an amount equal to 100 million Americans - combined.

Thankfully, we've cut their taxes, and we subsidize their wealth by providing Medicaid for their employees, along with numerous other public assistance programs.

Welfare ain't welfare if it goes to corporate profits.
Timmy_the_Red

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

A recently published article in Forbes pointed out how 6 members of the Walton family had a combined income greater than lowest 30% of Americans COMBINED, yet we have to provide their employees kids with health insurance and often food stamps.

Poor Warren Buffet only made 12 Billion last year.

Vote Republican!
bottom line

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

local wrote:
I wonder what the persons income really is equal to when you add in the free medical, SNAP free food, free cell phone, and other entitlements.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

I would buy local "IF" the local merchants were competitive in pricing and "IF" the local merchants had hours that were satisfying to the buyer.

Some how the local merchants believe I "owe" them my business and it's OK if they charge me twice the price on an item, only "IF" I can get into their store, before they close the doors for the day.

Seems like the local merchants are in a constant race with the SUN .... seeing which one will disappear FIRST by the end of the day.

The local merchant always wins. Doors are locked and the SUN is still in my eyes.

Remember the local slogan. "Ellijay's Got It .... Just Try To Get It".
Gary

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

How much of that 1 cent sales tax that just got renewed are going to be lost to the new Blue Ridge Walmart once it opens?? Don't worry though, all those in the know said that the
SPLOST had to be passed to keep property taxes from going up so I'm sure everything will be fine.
Truth

Toccoa, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Gary wrote:
How much of that 1 cent sales tax that just got renewed are going to be lost to the new Blue Ridge Walmart once it opens?? Don't worry though, all those in the know said that the
SPLOST had to be passed to keep property taxes from going up so I'm sure everything will be fine.
A lot I for one will shop in Blue Ridge spend elsewhere every chance I get.
Owe this county nothing nor want anything from the county

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of47
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

11 Users are viewing the Blairsville Forum right now

Search the Blairsville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
John Crumpton verses Steve Allison 3 hr JustTheFacts2014 76
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 3 hr silverfox 39,637
h7n9 (May '13) 4 hr tmv post 54
Looking for a friendly community 5 hr georgia idiots 21
Floridiots han Spring time 6 hr Slowpoks Boy 43
Capital Meats soliciting (Sep '09) 7 hr Anonymous 19
Georgia Schools Report 8 hr happy 1
•••
•••

Blairsville News Video

•••
Blairsville Dating

more search filters

less search filters