Supercenter is Underway

Oct 31, 2013 Full story: Fetch Your News 53

Fannin County is just a few months away from the doors of Wal-Mart opening. Although they will not be here by this upcoming Black Friday, locals will not have to travel to Blairsville or Ellijay much longer.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Just Mike

Dawsonville, GA

#1 Oct 31, 2013
Just what the people of Blue Ridge need... say goodbye to Roses and any other longstanding general merchandise businesses. And don't miss that job fair for those MAXIMUM 34 hour/week $8.00 prime positions. Just don't forget to cancel all future plans since you'll never really know your schedule.

But hey... you'll save a few bucks. Yup... Fannin is certainly "blessed" by this. Now- if only Kroger would get their butts up here!!
mistresses of union

Canton, GA

#2 Nov 1, 2013
Wait till that Publix or Kroger goes in next to Ingles on north side of 515. Bank sold the note to NY investment firm on that 80+ acre while it was in default. No telling what will go in there and no telling if and when a formal foreclosure takes place and auction it off.
Just a thought

Dahlonega, GA

#3 Nov 1, 2013
The new Walmart will be both a blessing and a death sentence. It will give people a place to find almost anything made in China but will be the end of several small businesses.

Since: Jul 08

Panama City, FL

#4 Nov 1, 2013
mistresses of union wrote:
Wait till that Publix or Kroger goes in next to Ingles on north side of 515. Bank sold the note to NY investment firm on that 80+ acre while it was in default. No telling what will go in there and no telling if and when a formal foreclosure takes place and auction it off.
Which bank?
Informed Opinion

Fort Myers, FL

#5 Nov 1, 2013
Just Mike wrote:
Just what the people of Blue Ridge need... say goodbye to Roses and any other longstanding general merchandise businesses. And don't miss that job fair for those MAXIMUM 34 hour/week $8.00 prime positions. Just don't forget to cancel all future plans since you'll never really know your schedule.

But hey... you'll save a few bucks. Yup... Fannin is certainly "blessed" by this. Now- if only Kroger would get their butts up here!!
Great post.

"You don't know what you've hit till it's gone." Joni Mitchell Big Yellow Taxi.

Lenin's quote "The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them."

could read

"The short-sighted will hang themselves to save $8 on their second flat screen TV for the back porch.
mistresses of union

Canton, GA

#6 Nov 1, 2013
procon1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Which bank?
UCB to Great Oak Pool LLC
concerned american

Ellijay, GA

#7 Nov 1, 2013
Just Mike wrote:
Bye Bye Downtown Blue Ridge, so sorry
Informed Opinion

Fort Myers, FL

#8 Nov 1, 2013
concerned american wrote:
<quoted text>Bye Bye Downtown Blue Ridge, so sorry
Great post.

But thankfully the taxpayers can subsidize the shelter, healthcare, and food for the part-time, low wage employees, so that the SuperCenters profits are great.

Welfare ain't welfare if it's benefits flow to corporations.

Those small businesses were too friendly and too dependent on customer good will anyway. Now, you can argue with a multinational, multi-billion dollar corporation if you're unhappy.
Fud

Toccoa, GA

#9 Nov 1, 2013
<quoted text>Bye Bye Downtown Blue Ridge, so sorry
Walmart won't effect downtown business to entirely different type of shoppers.
Last time I looked nobody forced to work their or shop their.
concerned american

Ellijay, GA

#10 Nov 1, 2013
Fud wrote:
<quoted text>
Walmart won't effect downtown business to entirely different type of shoppers.
Last time I looked nobody forced to work their or shop their.
Oh, right, I see, I guess all those other places were different.
some one

Blue Ridge, GA

#11 Nov 1, 2013
why are all of oyu saying a bunch of bs about wallmart and you have on in blairsville so all of your drug dealing over wight free loaders can stay at blairsvill and stay away from blure ridge
Fud

Toccoa, GA

#12 Nov 1, 2013
<quoted text> Oh, right, I see, I guess all those other places were different.
Any business that fails with new competition was already set to fail.
Ga Girl 56

Roswell, GA

#13 Nov 1, 2013
Just Mike wrote:
32 hours is considered full time if I remember correctly thus they would be eligible for benefits. Plus $8 per hour can seem like a lot if you don't have a job, no food in the fridge and children to feed. Walmart didn't kill downtown Ellijay like we all thought it would and all the grocery stores seem pretty busy.
local

Dawsonville, GA

#14 Nov 1, 2013
$8/hr x 32hr/wk x 52 wks/yr =$13,312/yr.

about half the national poverty level.
Rich Golfer

Dawsonville, GA

#15 Nov 1, 2013
When you shop at WalMart and if you pay taxes, you aren't saving anything. Most of the employees are on government assistance, if they have dependents, because WalMart pay is below the poverty level for many. Tax payers are still paying for workers Medicad, food stamps, and possibly welfare assistance.

Sad, isn't it?
Ga Girl 56

Roswell, GA

#16 Nov 1, 2013
Rich Golfer wrote:
When you shop at WalMart and if you pay taxes, you aren't saving anything. Most of the employees are on government assistance, if they have dependents, because WalMart pay is below the poverty level for many. Tax payers are still paying for workers Medicad, food stamps, and possibly welfare assistance.
Sad, isn't it?
Every little bit helps though. Every dollar the make is one dollare less they have to have in assistance. That's a good thing. At least they will be able to buy their children some decent clothes and shoes.
Ga Girl 56

Roswell, GA

#17 Nov 1, 2013
Rich Golfer wrote:
Sad, isn't it?
I don't mind helping people that are trying to help themselves. What I don't like are the ones that sit on their butts and not even try.
Informed Opinion

Cape Coral, FL

#18 Nov 1, 2013
Rich Golfer wrote:

Sad, isn't it?
A great post.

If you would, I have to ask:

Which is you - a Capitalist who supports a multinational corporations right to financially rape taxpayers ?

or

is you a Com'nist who wants to regulate big business to keep 'em from financially raping taxpayers ?

or

is you something in between ?
Rich Golfer

Dawsonville, GA

#19 Nov 1, 2013
My point is people think they are saving money when, in fact, they aren't in the long run.
WalMart, by design, rapes taxpayers. Do I like that? No.

I do not want to regulate any business. WalMart makes a huge profit - enough so they could pay a living wage to their employees who work their butts off.

WalMart is smart. The turn-over is huge and people don't stay with the company very long because the pay is bad, hours are crap, and there is little to no promotion. Rather than promote people inhouse - WalMart will move managers and associates to a location.

My 64 year old friend worked for WalMart Optical. She earned $8 an hour. Training was on-going and her expertise improved but her salary didn't.

So, Informed, what am I?
trail90

Blue Ridge, GA

#20 Nov 1, 2013
Read the Cape Coral topix and you will see where informed comes from in more waYS THAN ONE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BRMEMC board election results 9 13 2014 23 min bye-bye 119
Steve's Steakhouse 24 min CallKenNugent 31
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 50 min Synergy 55,379
GSP vs. motorcycle fatality 1 hr UNCOLA 13
BRMEMC Board and Akins 1 hr pro golfer 46
fun fun fun 1 hr Wonder 1
Bias of North Georgia News 6 hr Sole Commissioner... 19
Lances and BRMEMC 15 hr Please tell us 29
•••

Blairsville News Video

•••
•••

Blairsville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000