White House stopping tours?

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

sonny

United States

#1 Mar 7, 2013
If anyone had any doubt our president is mean spirited, did you know he canceled white house tours because of lack of funds? He ought to cut back on his vacations, not punish kids that have planned trips and worked washing cars etc. to get there. I am ashamed of him. Sonny
big news

Dawsonville, GA

#2 Mar 7, 2013
You couldn't pay me to go see it now that "they" are in it.....
black mail

Toccoa, GA

#3 Mar 7, 2013
He will cancel white house tours. He has released Immigration illegal alien detainees, and will release more.

You better cry 'UNCLE' and give him the money he wants.
Slippery

Dahlonega, GA

#4 Mar 7, 2013
They shut down the white house tour because of banana peels all over the place.

The checks in the mail

Dahlonega, GA

#5 Mar 7, 2013
sonny wrote:
If anyone had any doubt our president is mean spirited, did you know he canceled white house tours because of lack of funds? He ought to cut back on his vacations, not punish kids that have planned trips and worked washing cars etc. to get there. I am ashamed of him. Sonny
Hey, send ACOG a tip. Maybe she can fight this!
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#6 Mar 8, 2013
Boehner still thinks biggest sequester tragedy is the cancelled congressional White House tour perk
THU MAR 07, 2013 AT 10:05 AM PST
by Jed Lewison
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/03/07/1192...

Since the sequester began to go into effect last Friday, Republicans have been in a celebratory mood, cheering the fact that March 1 came and went without the world ending even though sequestration's impacts were never expected to be widely felt on the first day.

But their sunny disposition soured this week when the Obama administration announced it was canceling White House tours to comply with sequester cuts. House Republicans went batshit crazy because no matter how much they may hate President Obama, they love handing out White House tour tickets as perks to campaign contributors and political constituents. House Speaker John Boehner even said he'd rather have seen layoffs than the cancellation of tours.

It was a pretty embarrassing display of GOP priorities, but instead of doing the smart thing and shutting up, Boehner continued harping on the tour cancellation during his weekly press conference on Thursday. "I'd like to start this morning by letting the American people know that the United States Capitol is open to visitors," Boehner said. "I think it's disappointing that the Obama administration didn't follow our lead and find savings in other parts of their budget."

And what might those "other" savings be? According to the Secret Service:

The reason for the cancellations, an official with the Secret Service told NBC News, is because the Uniformed Division Officers normally tasked with securing the tours will be reassigned to other security posts at the White House. The move will reduce overtime costs and may reduce the number of furloughs the Secret Service could potentially face, according to the official.

I guess in John Boehner's world, anything is better than eliminating one of Congress's political perks, no matter who gets furloughed or laid off. As long as its somebody else getting the shaft, it's not his problem to worry about....
My Two Senses

Blairsville, GA

#7 Mar 8, 2013
Obama shouldn't be taking million-dollar golf trips while the White House is closed to tours. That has the appearance of selfishness.
hill billy hoedown

Dawsonville, GA

#8 Mar 8, 2013
Should we be worried about Korea????
Mostly listening

Dawsonville, GA

#9 Mar 8, 2013
hill billy hoedown wrote:
Yea, sure, throw it in the pot with all of the other sh-t we have to worry about!
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#10 Mar 8, 2013
Yeah, that weekend golf trip is going to break the bank...

Congress Pushes for Weapons Pentagon Didn't Want
Aug 20, 2012
Dayton Daily News| by Josh Sweigart
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/08/20...

he Pentagon, which is facing end-of-year cuts that it says could cripple its ability to fight future wars, may spend billions in coming years on weapons systems and programs it says it doesn't need but are favored by area members of Congress.

The Dayton Daily News analyzed proposed defense budgets for 2013 and identified five programs that Ohio's congressional delegation is fighting for although Pentagon officials have called them unnecessary and unaffordable.

Critics say these big-ticket items are earmarks in disguise, using the Department of Defense budget for economic stimulus. They also point out that the multi-million dollar contracts are awarded to major campaign contributors.

Defenders of these programs say the Pentagon isn't flawless, and sometimes doesn't budget for things it needs. Plus, without the money, lawmakers say Ohio could lose thousands of jobs.

..."Is the Dayton economy dependent on federal and military spending? The answer is yes," said Michael Gessel, vice president of governmental relations for the Dayton Development Coalition. "That's a fact. Does that create a risk for Dayton when there is a strong mood against federal spending? Yes.

"But it's not a jobs program and would not function as a jobs program. The success of defense spending ultimately is going to be on how well it secures the national defense."

Area lawmakers said their primary concern in supporting these programs is defense, and that campaign donations play no role in their decision-making.

In February, the Pentagon released a budget that began the process to cut at least $487 billion in defense spending over the next 10 years. This included terminating the Global Hawk, which the military estimated would save $2.5 billion over five years; the C-27J, at a savings of $400 million; M1 Abrams updates, saving hundreds of millions of dollars; and cutting roughly 5,000 positions from the Air National Guard and reducing that agency's budget about $300 million.

All of these cuts are tied to Ohio jobs. About 100 people at Wright-Patt are assigned to the Global Hawk's program management. The C-27Js are based largely at the Mansfield Air National Guard Base, and the National Guard cuts threaten bases in Springfield and Columbus. The M1 Abrams is upgraded in Lima, and supports roughly 800 jobs there.

Against the Defense Department's wishes, Congress put all the programs back in the budget.

In May, the House Appropriations Committee -- with Ohio lawmakers including Rep. Steve Austria, R-Beavercreek -- approved a 2013 defense bill totaling $519.2 billion. That was $3.1 billion more than the president requested and $1.1 billion more than 2012's tab.

Turner, meanwhile, has led the charge to plug $100 million into the defense budget to plan for a missile battery to protect the East Coast from a potential Iranian attack missile.

Pentagon officials said they never budgeted for such a shield because they don't need it....
Bored

Dahlonega, GA

#11 Mar 8, 2013
Oh my wrote:
Yeah, that weekend golf trip is going to break the bank...
Congress Pushes for Weapons Pentagon Didn't Want
Aug 20, 2012
Dayton Daily News| by Josh Sweigart
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/08/20...
he Pentagon, which is facing end-of-year cuts that it says could cripple its ability to fight future wars, may spend billions in coming years on weapons systems and programs it says it doesn't need but are favored by area members of Congress.
The Dayton Daily News analyzed proposed defense budgets for 2013 and identified five programs that Ohio's congressional delegation is fighting for although Pentagon officials have called them unnecessary and unaffordable.
Critics say these big-ticket items are earmarks in disguise, using the Department of Defense budget for economic stimulus. They also point out that the multi-million dollar contracts are awarded to major campaign contributors.
Defenders of these programs say the Pentagon isn't flawless, and sometimes doesn't budget for things it needs. Plus, without the money, lawmakers say Ohio could lose thousands of jobs.
..."Is the Dayton economy dependent on federal and military spending? The answer is yes," said Michael Gessel, vice president of governmental relations for the Dayton Development Coalition. "That's a fact. Does that create a risk for Dayton when there is a strong mood against federal spending? Yes.
"But it's not a jobs program and would not function as a jobs program. The success of defense spending ultimately is going to be on how well it secures the national defense."
Area lawmakers said their primary concern in supporting these programs is defense, and that campaign donations play no role in their decision-making.
In February, the Pentagon released a budget that began the process to cut at least $487 billion in defense spending over the next 10 years. This included terminating the Global Hawk, which the military estimated would save $2.5 billion over five years; the C-27J, at a savings of $400 million; M1 Abrams updates, saving hundreds of millions of dollars; and cutting roughly 5,000 positions from the Air National Guard and reducing that agency's budget about $300 million.
All of these cuts are tied to Ohio jobs. About 100 people at Wright-Patt are assigned to the Global Hawk's program management. The C-27Js are based largely at the Mansfield Air National Guard Base, and the National Guard cuts threaten bases in Springfield and Columbus. The M1 Abrams is upgraded in Lima, and supports roughly 800 jobs there.
Against the Defense Department's wishes, Congress put all the programs back in the budget.
In May, the House Appropriations Committee -- with Ohio lawmakers including Rep. Steve Austria, R-Beavercreek -- approved a 2013 defense bill totaling $519.2 billion. That was $3.1 billion more than the president requested and $1.1 billion more than 2012's tab.
Turner, meanwhile, has led the charge to plug $100 million into the defense budget to plan for a missile battery to protect the East Coast from a potential Iranian attack missile.
Pentagon officials said they never budgeted for such a shield because they don't need it....
Boring.
big news

Dawsonville, GA

#12 Mar 8, 2013
hill billy hoedown wrote:
You need to worry about Washington D.C. more than Korea...
Beggar

Dahlonega, GA

#13 Mar 9, 2013
Michele wants to create a world of child beggars.

First Lady:‘Imagine’ an America Where Kids Beg for ‘More Fruits, Vegetables’–‘It is Possible To Create This World!'
hill billy hoedown

Dawsonville, GA

#15 Mar 9, 2013
big news wrote:
<quoted text>You need to worry about Washington D.C. more than Korea...
I have a special interest in Korea...someone I care about was just sent there!!!
-sigh-

Blairsville, GA

#16 Mar 14, 2013
whiny people, the election is over, you lost, get over it.
txt msgr

Blairsville, GA

#17 Jun 23, 2013
wow
Oh Brother

Jefferson, GA

#18 Jun 25, 2013
All these people complaining about Obama's vacations, but never said a word about Bush's vacations.

Not even when Bush was called out for taking more time off than any president ever.

I didn't vote for Obama, but y'all are not credible when you complain about one and give a free pass to the other.
Oh Brother

Jefferson, GA

#19 Jun 25, 2013
BTW, I call out the democrats too when Obama does stuff they complained about with Bush, and they don't say anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 4 hr silverfox 56,896
Dash Cams, You need them!!!! 5 hr ha 13
Remove EMC BOARD and Akins 6 hr RED 42
Wake up floridiots Naming your driveway is stupid. 6 hr tmn post 41
Can a Liberal be a Christian? 9 hr Timmy_ 89
Ga. man awarded $404,000 for libelous Internet ... (Jan '11) 14 hr UNION 1 132
Science Against Evolution - Very Interesting 17 hr tmv post 2
Steve's Buffet is BACK 18 hr alright than 16
Steve's Steakhouse Tue Just sayin 184

Blairsville News Video

Blairsville Dating
Find my Match

Blairsville Jobs