Regressive Taxation
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Goose de Goose

Cornelia, GA

#1 Aug 28, 2013
from ITEP.org

"Major tax overhauls are on the agenda in a record number of states, and “Who Pays?” documents in state-by-state detail the precise distribution of state income taxes, sales and excise taxes and property taxes paid by each income group as of January 2013. It is a critical baseline against which future proposals can be measured.

Most significantly, the report concludes that all states have regressive tax systems that ask more from low- and middle-income families than from the wealthiest. It also finds:

- The average overall effective state and local tax rates by income group nationwide are 11.1 percent for the bottom 20 percent, 9.4 percent for the middle 20 percent and 5.6 percent for the top 1 percent

- Ten states with the most regressive tax systems are: Washington, Florida, South Dakota, Texas, Illinois, Tennessee, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Alabama and Indiana.

- States praised as “low tax” are often high tax states for low and middle income families."

The SPLOST is regressive.
Also, the Georgia House and Senate is trying to replace the Georgia Income Tax with a Regressive Sales Tax. Vote NO, it only helps the rich and hurts the poor and middle class.
Dismas

Clarkesville, GA

#2 Aug 31, 2013
Goose de Goose wrote:
from ITEP.org
"Major tax overhauls are on the agenda in a record number of states, and “Who Pays?” documents in state-by-state detail the precise distribution of state income taxes, sales and excise taxes and property taxes paid by each income group as of January 2013. It is a critical baseline against which future proposals can be measured.
Most significantly, the report concludes that all states have regressive tax systems that ask more from low- and middle-income families than from the wealthiest. It also finds:
- The average overall effective state and local tax rates by income group nationwide are 11.1 percent for the bottom 20 percent, 9.4 percent for the middle 20 percent and 5.6 percent for the top 1 percent
- Ten states with the most regressive tax systems are: Washington, Florida, South Dakota, Texas, Illinois, Tennessee, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Alabama and Indiana.
- States praised as “low tax” are often high tax states for low and middle income families."
Also, the Georgia House and Senate is trying to replace the Georgia Income Tax with a Regressive Sales Tax. Vote NO, it only helps the rich and hurts the poor and middle class.
Good information
Nancy Pelosi

Clarkesville, GA

#3 Sep 3, 2013
Goose de Goose wrote:
from ITEP.org
This is SPLOST, I just love it when Lamar puts the screws to the poor and middle class. He He He I have got to tell Barack about this. Te He He He Oh Barack where are you .....
Republicans and Tea Party

Clarkesville, GA

#4 Sep 5, 2013
Goose de Goose wrote:
from ITEP.org
Great Post.
R Martin

Dahlonega, GA

#5 Sep 9, 2013
Let's talk about how much of all the tax dollars collected are paid by each income group . Not the tax rate for each group, but the percentage of the tax money paid by each group. I suspect most of the collected money comes from the "RICH".
If your only concern is about tax rates ,would it not seem fair that there be only one rate that applies to all?
Just Mike

Broken Arrow, OK

#6 Sep 9, 2013
R Martin wrote:
Let's talk about how much of all the tax dollars collected are paid by each income group . Not the tax rate for each group, but the percentage of the tax money paid by each group. I suspect most of the collected money comes from the "RICH".
If your only concern is about tax rates ,would it not seem fair that there be only one rate that applies to all?
The "flat rate" tax will never be passed. It takes too much power/money and decision making authority away from Washington. How will anyone get the $$ to run in an election if you take out the lobbyists and special interests? >;-)
Local

Alto, GA

#7 Sep 14, 2013
R Martin wrote:
The subject is effective tax rates. One rate that applies to all is discriminatory to the poor and retired. Warren Buffett agrees and says the very rich can and should pay more because they 'can' without any effect on their standard of living. SPLOST discriminates against the poor and retired because it is regressive and takes money away from the retired persons Social Security Check and Pensions. This is money they need to maintain an acceptable standard of living.
RMartin

Cornelia, GA

#8 Sep 14, 2013
If we are to consider the impact of a flat tax on a poor or retired persons standard of livng, should we not also consider other things that may impact that standard such as:
Food stamps
low income houseing
proprty tax breaks for retires
earned income tax credits
free medical treatment in emergency rooms.
Do you really think it is fair that 43% pay no income tax, and do you think this is sustainable?
Papa

Alto, GA

#9 Sep 14, 2013
RMartin wrote:
If we are to consider the impact of a flat tax on a poor or retired persons standard of livng, should we not also consider other things that may impact that standard such as:
Food stamps
low income houseing
Do you really think it is fair that 43% pay no income tax, and do you think this is sustainable?
It is effective tax rates we are talking about. The poor pay more and the middle class pays more than the rich. Is this fair?
Papa

Alto, GA

#10 Sep 14, 2013
RMartin wrote:
Food stamps
low income houseing
I paid income tax for 40 years, now you want me to pay even when I can't work? You must be one of those very greedy, selfish persons.
Local

Alto, GA

#11 Sep 14, 2013
RMartin wrote:
Food stamps
low income houseing
Income tax has an unfairness factor but not as bad as the regressive tax. The regressive tax really hurts the people who need the money for a decent standard of living. The rich do not even notice the regressive tax. Is this fair?
R Martin

Commerce, GA

#12 Sep 15, 2013
To Papa and Local, please re-read my last post and answer the question asked. Papa, I had hoped for a honest discussion of the subject. Is the best you can do is to call me greedy and selfish?
Local

Alto, GA

#13 Sep 15, 2013
R Martin wrote:
To Papa and Local, please re-read my last post and answer the question asked. Papa, I had hoped for a honest discussion of the subject. Is the best you can do is to call me greedy and selfish?
I think the 43 percent is a political number. I have not researched it but I think most of this is retired people who get social security or are on pensions that are exempt from income tax.
Also there is a lot of hype about the welfare cadillacs but there are really people who have nothing. I have seen First Baptist Church's parking lot on food give away day and it breaks your heart how many people are really hurting.
I really believe the regressive tax is not the answer.
Papal

Alto, GA

#14 Sep 15, 2013
RMartin wrote:
Food stamps
low income houseing
If you really care break the 43% down for us. I think you will see it is not that bad.
People have a right to retire and use pensions, SS and savings which result in no income tax.
Low income housing should be cut back and reformed.
Property Tax for retirees, not much in Union C
Free medical treatment - Where?
Local

Alto, GA

#15 Sep 15, 2013
RMartin wrote:
Food stamps
low income houseing
http://www.businessinsider.com/43-of-american...

Approx 39% are elderly who make less than 20K income. About half of Elderly pay payroll tax. This is why Romney lost, he was out of touch with reality.

This is a good quick look at the 43%. Not many people get off scott free.
R Martin

Dahlonega, GA

#16 Sep 16, 2013
The payroll tax is the social security tax, it not an income tax. One has nothing to do with the other.
Local

Alto, GA

#17 Sep 16, 2013
R Martin wrote:
The payroll tax is the social security tax, it not an income tax. One has nothing to do with the other.
Most seniors use SS as income, whether you call it income tax or not, it is a tax on Seniors' income.

Do you want to hurt Seniors with your support for regressive tax?
Local

Alto, GA

#18 Sep 16, 2013
R Martin wrote:
Have you ever tried to live on less than 20K a year? It appears a heck of a lot of seniors do.
Clete Purcell

Clarkesville, GA

#19 Sep 28, 2013
Goose de Goose wrote:
from ITEP.org
It sure seems to me that this regressive tax hurts the poor and middle classes and lets off the rich scott free. It also seems that Government is getting more and more greedy. Our elected leaders all are getting rich too. I always thought an elected official should serve for expenses only.
A Wright

Dahlonega, GA

#20 Oct 30, 2013
Goose de Goose wrote:
from ITEP.org
How can any Christian or moral person read this and see that sales taxes hurt the poor and retired and not vote no to these sales taxes like SPLOST?
This clearly helps the rich and hurts the poor and retired also the middle class.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our New Sheriffs Dept (Jan '13) 1 hr Wondering 1,095
Bernie Sanders for President ! 1 hr Stick 40
Dr. Heaton 2 hr gun and bible 173
Poor Dr. David Gowder (Jul '15) 5 hr tmvpost 92
Who owns UGH 11 hr rabbitt 8
Hot Cop 22 hr Wonder 6
Wendy's in Florida serving more than lame burgers 22 hr Timmys Friend 1
Local MD in jail? (Apr '15) Mon Grice007 116
More from around the web

Personal Finance