Where to find GOLD in Union County
Yosemite Sam

Hoschton, GA

#21 Aug 13, 2011
(from Wikipedia)
By 1830, historians estimate that there were 4,000 miners working on just the Yahoola Creek in Lumpkin County and over 300 ounces (8.5 kg) of gold per day was being produced in an area from north of Blairsville to the southeast corner of Cherokee County. Other estimates were that there were 6,000 to 10,000 miners between the Chestatee River and the Etowah River in 1831. Boom towns like Auraria and Dahlonega began to appear and Dahlonega was said to have supported 15,000 miners at the height of the gold rush. During this rapid influx of prospectors and settlers, tensions with the Cherokee began to rise. Before long, gold mines appeared in most counties in the North Georgia mountains, including Georgia's northeastern-most county, Rabun

“Skin a Floridian”

Since: Aug 09

SLOWPOK

#22 Aug 14, 2011
Yosemite Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm in the process of trying to figure out what kind of metal detector is a good value for prospecting. I've got a nice White's waterproof 'Surf P1' but it's mainly for the beach and artifacts, according to their brochure. I need to find out what is good for nuggets and dust prospecting. I live on a good creek coming out of the National Forest and I want to start searching up into the headwaters. We're so close to the Dahlonega Gold Belt, there's got to be something around. The largest nugget found was in Gilmer county, north of the belt.
Micronta, "DISCOVERY2" is the best for gold.
Truth

Paonia, CO

#23 Aug 14, 2011
Bobbyone wrote:
I think the gold was all mined out years ago. The jet sluicing destroyed the hillsides.
Nowadays gold is be found in pawn shops, people wearing it and home in jewelry boxes.
Some can even be found at funeral homes from peoples gold teeth......
SPLOST project contracts is where the gold is in U.C.

“Skin a Floridian”

SLOWPOK

#24 Aug 14, 2011
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>SPLOST project contracts is where the gold is in U.C.
Iffin yore self woulds listen to the Mountian maby hit would tells you whar the gold is hidden. Them Mountians tell people stuff round here.
Jery

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#25 Feb 3, 2012
Maps wrote:
<quoted text>I think i found what you are looking for,i don't know how to copy and paste so here it is go to falconmetaldetectors.com the MD20.I just asked the wife if i can get one she said she let me know in the morning after she gets home from work at UGH,this unit looks awesome,but to get a lot of fine gold your better off with a sluice or a high banker or a mini dredge,just my opinion.
I have a Whites and Ficher that I've used for relic hunting around Atlanta for years. Don't know how they'd do with prospecting. I purchased 7 acres near Blairsville/Owl Town close to Alexander's store. It has small stream with lots of quarts. I really never done any serious panning outside of the tourist traps, but I've found lots of black sand in my creek. No color yet. Would be interested in relic / coin hunting, artifact hunting with someone in that area. Jerry Cannon.
Mike

Long Beach, CA

#26 Mar 13, 2013
mountain boy 79 wrote:
And also on trackrock gap at the big tree with the knot in it at the petroglyphs to the left on a old growed up nat forest rd there is a old ruby mine! And i live on mt .pleasant church rd and there are 6 old gold mines in the vacinity! I find Lots of quarts here and some crystals to. Just thought it was interresting to post this. And my back yard is full of arrowheads too.
My name is mike, I live just off of Track Rock Gap Rd, I know the tree you are talking about. Can you show me some of the old gold mines. I would like to see them.

Mike
Mike

Long Beach, CA

#27 Mar 13, 2013
Hi I am mike and live just off of Trackrock gap rd, in Union County. I know the tree you are talking about. Just north of the top of the ridge, on the left side. The big knot is about 30 ft off the ground. I would love to see some of those old mines near you.

Mike
legalwhiz

Broken Arrow, OK

#28 Apr 21, 2013
mountain boy 79 wrote:
And also on trackrock gap at the big tree with the knot in it at the petroglyphs to the left on a old growed up nat forest rd there is a old ruby mine! And i live on mt .pleasant church and there are 6 old gold mines in the vacinity! I find Lots of quarts here and some crystals to. Just thought it was interresting to post this. And my back yard is full of arrowheads too.
Hi - we moved up here from Texas in Oct. and live on Frank Martin. Would love to go arrhowhead hunting on your property if possible. We'll be hiking tomorrow at the nat forest rd you mentioned. We would love to meet you. Let us know about arrowhead hunting.
legalwhiz

Broken Arrow, OK

#29 Apr 21, 2013
Looking for places to go arrowhead hunting near Trackrock Gap. We're retired and can go any day. Thanks.
legalwhiz

Broken Arrow, OK

#30 Apr 22, 2013
mountain boy 79 would like to chat to you about the track area and your arrow head hunts we just moved here from texas and would love to learn more about trackrock area in which we have moved in the area.
Radar

Commerce, GA

#31 Apr 22, 2013
Maps wrote:
<quoted text>I would be more than willing to bring my 4ft sluice and my pans and detector over to see if we can find anything,i do it for the pure fun of it,look for black sands in the creek and see if you have a lot of quartz both are really signs,have a good day.
I am also interested in panning/mining gold for the fun of it.Are you still doing this?
Yosemite Sam

Winder, GA

#32 Apr 22, 2013
Thanks 'Maps', I'll check it out.

Even though my property line includes the creek in my yard of the stream that drains from the national forest, I wonder if there are government regulations regarding sluicing or dredging on your own property?
Yosemite Sam

Winder, GA

#33 Apr 22, 2013
legalwhiz wrote:
Looking for places to go arrowhead hunting near Trackrock Gap. We're retired and can go any day. Thanks.
Will

Dawsonville, GA

#34 Apr 23, 2013
Yosemite Sam wrote:
Thanks 'Maps', I'll check it out.
Even though my property line includes the creek in my yard of the stream that drains from the national forest, I wonder if there are government regulations regarding sluicing or dredging on your own property?
If there is no regulation , Liemore will make one . Look for the tax money and gold in Lamar`s pocket .
Just a thought

Dawsonville, GA

#35 Apr 23, 2013
Will wrote:
<quoted text>If there is no regulation , Liemore will make one . Look for the tax money and gold in Lamar`s pocket .
Has anyone bothered to look in the men's room at the Community Center. Understand the fixtures or made of gold.
brucejr2

Dahlonega, GA

#37 Jun 24, 2013
mountain boy 79 wrote:
And also on trackrock gap at the big tree with the knot in it at the petroglyphs to the left on a old growed up nat forest rd there is a old ruby mine! And i live on mt .pleasant church rd and there are 6 old gold mines in the vacinity! I find Lots of quarts here and some crystals to. Just thought it was interresting to post this. And my back yard is full of arrowheads too.
mountain boy 79 i read your post and we are up from florida for a week, we wanted to do some gold panning but dont know anyone in the area. we didnt want to go to the typical tourist stops. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Yosemite Sam

Cleveland, GA

#39 Jun 24, 2013
Jery wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a Whites and Ficher that I've used for relic hunting around Atlanta for years. Don't know how they'd do with prospecting. I purchased 7 acres near Blairsville/Owl Town close to Alexander's store. It has small stream with lots of quarts. I really never done any serious panning outside of the tourist traps, but I've found lots of black sand in my creek. No color yet. Would be interested in relic / coin hunting, artifact hunting with someone in that area. Jerry Cannon.
The Dahlonega Gold Belt is just across the ridge of Richard Russell, and old gold mines are close by. Keep looking!

“Skin a Floridian”

SLOWPOK

#40 Jun 25, 2013
legalwhiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi - we moved up here from Texas in Oct. and live on Frank Martin. Would love to go arrhowhead hunting on your property if possible. We'll be hiking tomorrow at the nat forest rd you mentioned. We would love to meet you. Let us know about arrowhead hunting.
WHAR YOU FROM IN TEXAS?Iffin you awantin to find gold, yore self just might hit in Towns county wiff a pan. As fer as flints thar are a few good creeks thet yeild some fine points up ahround Hightower mountian on the towns side. Hits kinda like round the Roxton area in Texas, youse gotta wade han watch the banks han the botton offen the creeks.
nose

Dawsonville, GA

#41 Jun 26, 2013
I see people digging for gold all the time. i just hate when they eat it.
Bitter Creek Farms

United States

#42 Jan 23, 2014
has there ever been gold found in Bitter Creek around Blairsville?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hope that stupid womwen Sybil Denise Ballew (Jun '17) 3 hr Greg6883 9
Mickey Cummings = RINO 3 hr Patrick Malone 761
School board=family 11 hr Boo hoo is doo doo 36
School shootings 18 hr James 12
ESPLOST. Friend or Foe? Wed funnystuff 38
Start now to fight the Union County School E-SP... (Jan '17) Wed Nasty YOU 11
School system secret Tue Benny 18

Blairsville Jobs

Personal Finance

Blairsville Mortgages