Where to find GOLD in Union County

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Yosemite Sam

Dahlonega, GA

#1 Jun 13, 2011
Ordered some maps that show old mines and placer deposits, and it looks like Coosa Creek (by the B'ville Airport), Gumlog, and Owltown.......are the sites to start looking.

Anyone know of any places to look. Just for fun/pass time.
maps

Dawsonville, GA

#2 Jun 13, 2011
Yosemite Sam wrote:
Ordered some maps that show old mines and placer deposits, and it looks like Coosa Creek (by the B'ville Airport), Gumlog, and Owltown.......are the sites to start looking.
Anyone know of any places to look. Just for fun/pass time.
If your looking for someone to go detecting or panning or sluice boxing i'm ready,i have the same maps,let me know!
mountain boy 79

Dawsonville, GA

#3 Jun 13, 2011
And also on trackrock gap at the big tree with the knot in it at the petroglyphs to the left on a old growed up nat forest rd there is a old ruby mine! And i live on mt .pleasant church rd and there are 6 old gold mines in the vacinity! I find Lots of quarts here and some crystals to. Just thought it was interresting to post this. And my back yard is full of arrowheads too.
Gumlog Dawsonville

Cleveland, GA

#4 Jun 14, 2011
Can I come look in your backyard? So what are the BIG holes in the ground(big enough for 3 or so cars)for? The caves-- what were they mining from them? I have been told the stories passed down from generations but stories tend to change each time they are told.This area is full of interesting history.
Bobbyone

Dawsonville, GA

#5 Jun 14, 2011
I think the gold was all mined out years ago. The jet sluicing destroyed the hillsides.

Nowadays gold is be found in pawn shops, people wearing it and home in jewelry boxes.

Some can even be found at funeral homes from peoples gold teeth......
tommyboy

Dahlonega, GA

#6 Jun 14, 2011
Bobbyone wrote:
I think the gold was all mined out years ago. The jet sluicing destroyed the hillsides.
Nowadays gold is be found in pawn shops, people wearing it and home in jewelry boxes.
Some can even be found at funeral homes from peoples gold teeth......
Bobbyone try 114 courthouse ST. might have better luck.lol.
Bobbyone

Dawsonville, GA

#7 Jun 14, 2011
tommyboy wrote:
<quoted text> Bobbyone try 114 courthouse ST. might have better luck.lol.
hey tommyboy, how's the fat hanging..........
Yosemite Sam

Dahlonega, GA

#8 Jun 15, 2011
maps wrote:
<quoted text>If your looking for someone to go detecting or panning or sluice boxing i'm ready,i have the same maps,let me know!
I'm in the process of trying to figure out what kind of metal detector is a good value for prospecting. I've got a nice White's waterproof 'Surf P1' but it's mainly for the beach and artifacts, according to their brochure. I need to find out what is good for nuggets and dust prospecting. I live on a good creek coming out of the National Forest and I want to start searching up into the headwaters. We're so close to the Dahlonega Gold Belt, there's got to be something around. The largest nugget found was in Gilmer county, north of the belt.
Gold

Blairsville, GA

#9 Jun 15, 2011
what Lamar don't have you will find the rest in walmart
maps

Dawsonville, GA

#10 Jun 16, 2011
Yosemite Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm in the process of trying to figure out what kind of metal detector is a good value for prospecting. I've got a nice White's waterproof 'Surf P1' but it's mainly for the beach and artifacts, according to their brochure. I need to find out what is good for nuggets and dust prospecting. I live on a good creek coming out of the National Forest and I want to start searching up into the headwaters. We're so close to the Dahlonega Gold Belt, there's got to be something around. The largest nugget found was in Gilmer county, north of the belt.
Look at the minelabs and fisher models a little pricey,i have a 4ft sluice we could put in the creek just let me know!
Yosemite Sam

Dawsonville, GA

#11 Jul 2, 2011
Interesting read from a real old book about Union County gold survey, start pg 122.

http://books.google.com/books...
Maps

Dawsonville, GA

#12 Jul 3, 2011
Yosemite Sam wrote:
Interesting read from a real old book about Union County gold survey, start pg 122.
http://books.google.com/books...
Very interesting!
Gumlog

Dawsonville, GA

#13 Jul 3, 2011
Maps wrote:
<quoted text>Very interesting!
Yes,I am trying to picture in my mind where these mills would have been located.As I live, what I believe,to be center of the two mines.The creek is what we call the line for towns/union county.And I can see county line rd from my porch swing.
Maps

Dawsonville, GA

#14 Jul 3, 2011
Gumlog wrote:
<quoted text>Yes,I am trying to picture in my mind where these mills would have been located.As I live, what I believe,to be center of the two mines.The creek is what we call the line for towns/union county.And I can see county line rd from my porch swing.
Have you ever paned in the creek?
Gumlog

Dawsonville, GA

#15 Jul 3, 2011
Maps wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever paned in the creek?
Nope,my cousin came up from Acworth last year. I think the thing they brought was a sleuth,the creek was down(last yr)from lack of rain.So they couldn't find a spot on our property to put it in the water.Anyways I read the link you/someone put on here. That explains some of the BIG holes we have come across in the woods.In the same valley as we live there are 2 caves across the creek on Towns Co. side. But then again in this same valley,we have stumbled across lots of Indian Artifacts.
Maps

Dawsonville, GA

#16 Jul 3, 2011
Gumlog wrote:
<quoted text>Nope,my cousin came up from Acworth last year. I think the thing they brought was a sleuth,the creek was down(last yr)from lack of rain.So they couldn't find a spot on our property to put it in the water.Anyways I read the link you/someone put on here. That explains some of the BIG holes we have come across in the woods.In the same valley as we live there are 2 caves across the creek on Towns Co. side. But then again in this same valley,we have stumbled across lots of Indian Artifacts.
I would be more than willing to bring my 4ft sluice and my pans and detector over to see if we can find anything,i do it for the pure fun of it,look for black sands in the creek and see if you have a lot of quartz both are really signs,have a good day.
Yosemite Sam

Dawsonville, GA

#17 Jul 3, 2011
Maps wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever paned in the creek?
I live close there too. "Maps", I've got a White's 'Surf P.I.' detector that I used to take to the beach, mainly for surf line, but also snorkel, and some diving. I'm just getting started on creek detecting research, do you know if this detector is good for that, e.g. placer dust, nuggets. I've ordered a White's catalog, maps from goldmaps.com , and satellite imagery/geologic assay info from USGS. Been reading in the old book I mentioned. I panned one pan full the other day and got some flecks out of my creek, I think. I need to learn more about the pin point detectors I see being used on YouTube.
Maps

Dahlonega, GA

#18 Jul 4, 2011
Yosemite Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
I live close there too. "Maps", I've got a White's 'Surf P.I.' detector that I used to take to the beach, mainly for surf line, but also snorkel, and some diving. I'm just getting started on creek detecting research, do you know if this detector is good for that, e.g. placer dust, nuggets. I've ordered a White's catalog, maps from goldmaps.com , and satellite imagery/geologic assay info from USGS. Been reading in the old book I mentioned. I panned one pan full the other day and got some flecks out of my creek, I think. I need to learn more about the pin point detectors I see being used on YouTube.
I just read a bunch of reviews on your detector and the main problem is it does not have a discriminate mode so on land it will sound off alot due to the mineralized soil,but all the reviews said is was one of the best for the beach.I have a bounty hunter detector nothing fancy but it has the discriminate mode and a gold mode.You said you found some flakes,let's put my sluice in the creek and run 3-4 5gal buckets thru and do a clean up and it might give a better idea of the gold in there.I got in trouble at vogel for detecting my kids were swimming so i detected before i knew it we had 2 hand full of coins but a crowd gathered and the ranger came down to see what happened and he said stop or get out.Between you and gumlog you both have realy peaked my interest.And i am not a professional i just really like being out and finding stuff.That book you put online is awesome i have read the uc part 5-6 times great reading.I am available any time in the day.

Since: Dec 09

Dawsonville, GA

#19 Jul 4, 2011
wanta go minning I got a pack mule an a lot of time since there is no work in the area
Maps

Dawsonville, GA

#20 Jul 4, 2011
Yosemite Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
I think i found what you are looking for,i don't know how to copy and paste so here it is go to falconmetaldetectors.com the MD20.I just asked the wife if i can get one she said she let me know in the morning after she gets home from work at UGH,this unit looks awesome,but to get a lot of fine gold your better off with a sluice or a high banker or a mini dredge,just my opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay Marriage 6 hr The Mountains Noise 71
Roads Need Repaving 7 hr GOP 13
Democratic Party - Anti Christian 7 hr GOP 29
Christian Nation = Revisionist History (Jun '10) 8 hr GOP 31
Good Neighbors in Florida 9 hr Timmy_ 13
Liberal Campaign against Atricle 5 16 hr XYZZTOP 6
BRMEMC minutes of Board Meeting 17 hr GOP 20
Blairsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web