CORNBREAD recipe......what's the best

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
cornbread n milk

Canton, GA

#1 Jan 11, 2014
I can't find Perkins, or three rivers cornmeal anymore. What do you use? And instead of bacon grease, I used lard today (which recent studies say is good for you!) White Lilly self-rising buttermilk cornmeal, a little self-rising flour, buttermilk, egg, 425° for 20 min. in my mom's cast iron skillet.
mountain melody

Dawsonville, GA

#2 Jan 11, 2014
cornbread n milk wrote:
I can't find Perkins, or three rivers cornmeal anymore. What do you use? And instead of bacon grease, I used lard today (which recent studies say is good for you!) White Lilly self-rising buttermilk cornmeal, a little self-rising flour, buttermilk, egg, 425° for 20 min. in my mom's cast iron skillet.
My recipe is, White lily corn meal, a little self rising flour, buttermilk, mayonnaise, makes the bread so moist and one egg, and that should make a good pone of corn bread. I never measure anything. Just watched my mom, and learned from the best.
cornbread n milk

Canton, GA

#3 Jan 11, 2014
I've heard of mayonnaise INSTEAD of buttermilk, but using both...... interesting, thanks!

“Skin a Floridian”

Since: Aug 09

Hiawassee, GA

#4 Jan 11, 2014
Youns fergots the sugar, haint nos good iffin hit aint got some sweetin ins hit.

“No news is good news!”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#5 Jan 11, 2014
My recipe is similar to mountain melody's. Spray cast iron pan with Pam, set aside. I will tell you the small version: 1 cup White Lily self rising corn meal, 1/2 cup White Lily self-rising flour, 1 egg beaten, enough buttermilk to make it thin. Pour in prepared pan and set oven on bake at 400 degrees until bread starts pulling from sides of pan, then switch to broil until golden brown.
cornbread n milk

Canton, GA

#6 Jan 11, 2014
Chainsaw Five wrote:
Youns fergots the sugar, haint nos good iffin hit aint got some sweetin ins hit.
God forbid!!! No Sugar! You have some Yankee in yor tree sumwhar! LOL

“Skin a Floridian”

Hiawassee, GA

#7 Jan 11, 2014
cornbread n milk wrote:
I've heard of mayonnaise INSTEAD of buttermilk, but using both...... interesting, thanks!
Me han you Girlie, Hot sweet cornbread, cold milk han a dips in the creek. Yore self kant hide from me you is my Girlie Girl.......LOL

“Skin a Floridian”

Hiawassee, GA

#8 Jan 11, 2014
Laurel Wood wrote:
My recipe is similar to mountain melody's. Spray cast iron pan with Pam, set aside. I will tell you the small version: 1 cup White Lily self rising corn meal, 1/2 cup White Lily self-rising flour, 1 egg beaten, enough buttermilk to make it thin. Pour in prepared pan and set oven on bake at 400 degrees until bread starts pulling from sides of pan, then switch to broil until golden brown.
Ken yore self makes a rudabaker pie to goes wiff thet pone??
Rich Golfer

Murphy, NC

#9 Jan 11, 2014
Wife always heats the skillet in the over then pours the batter into a hot pan. Sugar! Yes.

Wife renders or buys leaf lard for baking and some cooking. Processed lard in the stores isn't good for you.

“No news is good news!”

Location hidden

#10 Jan 11, 2014
Chainsaw Five wrote:
<quoted text>Ken yore self makes a rudabaker pie to goes wiff thet pone??
Yes I can. Do you want green beans or dried beans and is it chicken or fish?
cornbread n milk

Canton, GA

#11 Jan 11, 2014
Laurel Wood wrote:
'switch to broil'.....a good idea!
cornbread n milk

Canton, GA

#12 Jan 11, 2014
Rich Golfer wrote:
Wife always heats the skillet in the over then pours the batter into a hot pan. Sugar! Yes.
Wife renders or buys leaf lard for baking and some cooking. Processed lard in the stores isn't good for you.
what is 'leaf lard'?
yeahitsme

Monroe, GA

#13 Jan 11, 2014
Cornbread haint no good lest it's got a big chunk of onion han a whole bunch of butter. Put that in a bowl han cover with sweet milk and a little dab of sourwood honey.
Rich Golfer

Murphy, NC

#14 Jan 11, 2014
http://flyingpigsfarm.com/preparing-pork/reci...

See if this helps answer your question.
We raise our own hogs so have the fat for lard.
If we don't raise a hog, she buys it from someone around here.
Rich Golfer

Murphy, NC

#15 Jan 11, 2014
Brasstown Beef raises hogs, too. Call and ask about it.

Country Meats in Hayesville probably can get it, too.
The butcher use to butcher a hog every Wednesday.
cornbread n milk

Canton, GA

#16 Jan 11, 2014
Rich Golfer wrote:
http://flyingpigsfarm.com/prep aring-pork/recipes/rendering-l eaf-lard/
See if this helps answer your question.
We raise our own hogs so have the fat for lard.
If we don't raise a hog, she buys it from someone around here.
How would this be different from the store bought canned lard? I'm just interested in learning. Was interesting, I know where 'cracklins' come from now. Thanks!

“Skin a Floridian”

Hiawassee, GA

#17 Jan 11, 2014
Laurel Wood wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I can. Do you want green beans or dried beans and is it chicken or fish?
Did iz say anything bout pot pies. A good rudabager pie is kinda like sweet tater pie.

“No news is good news!”

Location hidden

#18 Jan 11, 2014
Chainsaw Five wrote:
<quoted text> Did iz say anything bout pot pies. A good rudabager pie is kinda like sweet tater pie.
Mercy has your mind completely left you? The subject is cornbread. You asked me if I could make you a rhubarb pie, I said yes then I asked you what else you liked to complete a meal. For goodness sakes do you eat cornbread and rhubarb pie only? I listened to your song and I liked it. I can't dance as long as I used to but I have better moves than ole Jagger!
union

Dawsonville, GA

#19 Jan 12, 2014
IMO, the best cornbread is made from homegrown corn. Grind it yourself in a grain mill, then add salt and baking powder (NO SUGAR!), an egg, some buttermilk, oil or melted lard, and some cracklings if you want crackling cornbread. You should have your oven at 425 degrees and your cast iron skilled with oil or lard in it very hot before you put the batter in it. If your cornbread is yellow or orange when it is done you put too much baking powder in it.
Rich Golfer

Murphy, NC

#20 Jan 12, 2014
cornbread n milk wrote:
<quoted text>
How would this be different from the store bought canned lard? I'm just interested in learning. Was interesting, I know where 'cracklins' come from now. Thanks!
My wife said almost all lard you find at the grocery store has been hydrogenated, i.e., very processed so nutrients are removed. I found this article that might explain it to you better. http://returnoftheyummy.blogspot.com/2008/08/...

We try to cook as natural as we can -- not always as healthy as it should be, but try to avoid processed foods as much as possible.

Homemade lard is easy to do. We use regular pork fat, too. My wife cuts the fat into small pieces, places them in an heavy enameled dutch oven with a little water, and renders the fat in the oven at a low temp. It takes a long time, but the results are worth it. Also, she makes suet for birds using lard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sentinel Offender Services 1 hr Bobbie 1
Are there any blacks in Blairsville? (Oct '08) 2 hr America is Doomed 398
Opinions on Farm Fresh Processing. 2 hr Sharon 2
Re-Elect Lamar Paris 2016 13 hr Hillary for priso... 377
Sybil Denise Bellew (Dec '12) Thu ladyjetfan 66
Denise bellew Thu Gerri 1
Cooks only shot Aug 24 Trackrocker 8

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance